Weekly Chit Chat 6/16 - 6/22 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well its time for a new one of these

I cannot believe I am 24 weeks pregnant. 6 months. Holy cow! AND there are only 3 more weeks before I start my THIRD TRIMESTER! :: Time has flown so fast!

Well, I hope that all you ladies have a great week ahead of you

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#2 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 AM

I'm looking forward to a great week too. I was so sick last week (my first week of 14 months off work) that I sorta slept through it. But, so far staying at home with dd is great, and I can't wait to see what possibilities await with a full week of energy! (Oh, and my mw appointment that was postponed from last week.)

Hope everyone had a nice Father's Day.

This morning I turned the calendar to 22 weeks-- boy, does it ever go quickly from here. Some things to do this week: clean out dd's artwork from year 4, buy beads, and get around to registering for baby shower stuff.

Enjoy your week, mamas.
#3 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
buy beads
Oooh yes yes I found a great bead shop around my house so when DH gets home from work I am planning on taking a little trip over there to check it out

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#4 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 AM

26 weeks this week,,,,,wow!!!!!

i need to knit more!!!
#5 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 11:13 AM

subbing-

24 weeks this week.

So, I need some advice or commiseration or something. Each pound I gain seems to send me, for at least a few days, into a mini nervous breakdown. I know I'm supposed to be gaining weight. I really am ok with that. The problem is that getting on average between 1800 and 2000 calories a day, I'm gaining like 2 pounds a week right now. I don't understand how that's possible but it's happening nevertheless. I am terrified of having to start over and lose a ton of weight, again. I don't drop weight easily while nursing like some people so it's this looming black cloud over everything. If anything would trigger PPD for me, it'd be weight related. I feel really stuck.
#6 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 AM

I'm 22 weeks and I'm sick. I have some sort of stomach bug. I'm here at work trying to get payroll done so I can go home. ugh. this sucks! Hope everyone is doing well!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#7 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 AM

23 weeks yesterday! Where has the time gone? I thought that this being my last pregnancy that it would crawl by. No chance in that though, huh? October is just around the corner.

Well, this weekend we just hung around the house. Dh got the pool up and running so we were pretty much fish all weekend. Its so great being able to just be bouyant, especially since I'm starting to move into that uncomfortable phase of pregnancy.

I've also started working on the babe's quilt. I've kind of been freaking out about getting it done because once the top is done it'll have to be quited and that could take awhile depending on how backed up my quilter is. Its one of those past times, sewing the baby quilt, that I've measured my pregnancies by...and time is running out!

While I don't have any advice, Changed, I do want to offer

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#8 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to give you lots of Changed! I know how hard it can be to accept (I am up 20+ pounds at 24 weeks...)

GL mama

#9 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
subbing-

24 weeks this week.

So, I need some advice or commiseration or something. Each pound I gain seems to send me, for at least a few days, into a mini nervous breakdown. I know I'm supposed to be gaining weight. I really am ok with that. The problem is that getting on average between 1800 and 2000 calories a day, I'm gaining like 2 pounds a week right now. I don't understand how that's possible but it's happening nevertheless. I am terrified of having to start over and lose a ton of weight, again. I don't drop weight easily while nursing like some people so it's this looming black cloud over everything. If anything would trigger PPD for me, it'd be weight related. I feel really stuck.

I just wanted to tell you that you aren't alone in feeling this way, I feel very similarly about the weight gain. Like you I recently lost a ton of weight, and when I see the number on the scale, I can remember being at this weight before - but being fat, not pregnant - and if I don't put it out of my mind right away it upsets me. I know how hard I worked to lose the weight. I remember being at this weight and being so unhappy and miserable. I don't want to "let" myself accept this weight, b/c it was associated with so many negative things.

The only thing I can say to myself, which may or may not help you, is that I'm going to cross that weight loss bridge when I come to it. I did it once, I can do it again. Not only that, but I'm going to have a daughter (in your case a son) who is going to love me and look up to me for who I am, not what size I am. I'm going to try hard to just let it be for now.

HTH!

Anyways - 24 weeks, here! Chugging along! Besides all the work that has to be done on the house still, I'm feeling the need to register and trying to get Chris to come along is like pulling teeth! I thought he'd be more into it, but I think he's burned out already with the shopping. We went so many times before we knew this chickadee is a girl that now he feels bored by it.

Also need to buy my beads! Can't wait to do that!

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything. Hope everyone has an excellent week!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 PM

I'm right there with you Changed. One of my biggest fears, not baby-related, is not being able to lose this weight after baby arrives. I managed to somehow gain 4 lbs last week. I have NO idea how that happened! I changed NOTHING in my diet or life! I'd been steadily gaining a pound a week since wk 15 and now suddenly 4 lbs! WTF?! I about had a heart attack right there at the dr's office. Of course my BP was higher because they weigh me first and that scale got super ugly this week.

My appt was good on Friday. I have some researching to do though. The results of my u/s came back and something having to do with the renal arteries is enlarged. She said that's very common and usually leads to nothing at all but they like to check it again at 36wks with another u/s. If it's still enlarged, then they have the ped check it after the baby is born. I want to research this though because my OB said she called for the exact measurement of the enlargement and she said in her experience, it was in the normal range. So, I'm going to call the office today and get the exact number and the healthy range and then research it to see what other people's idea of normal is. She said the difference is mm so it's not anything big. She isn't concerned at all and said we shouldn't be either so I'm not. But, I don't want another u/s, especially at 36wks! I don't want them to tell me something bogus and I need to be induced ASAP while I'm there (u/s is in the hospital). I'm just not ok with another u/s. I didn't really want the 2 that I've had but circumstances changed my mind.

Our weekend was pretty good. A lot of driving. DH's hometown is very near all the flooding that's happening in Iowa so we drove over the bridges to see how high the water was. Only a couple hours after we'd been there, they closed the bridge and a nearby leavy (sp?) was breeched. EEK! DH's Grandpa isn't doing well at all. That's why we went to visit. We don't think it'll be more than a month or 2 before we lose him. Colon and liver cancer. We've each been through this before with other Grandpa's and know what the end looks like so we needed to make sure we saw him one more time at least.

My Mom and 2 younger siblings (high school age) are staying with us again since my Dad refuses to leave the house.

On a better note, the Hufflette was kicking so hard all weekend! DH and I layed in bed at night and did our "belly gazing". He got to see the baby kick on the outside....HARD! He said, "Ohhhh, that's soooo strange!" He was grinning from ear to ear. Totally cute.

Have a wonderful start to your week ladies! (Sorry this got kind of long...)
#11 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone! Yesterday I upped my water intake to match my weight. That's a LOT of water.

Does anyone know how many calories most pregnant woman should get a day?
#12 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 01:15 PM

^An additional 300 cals a day per baby on top of your non-pregnant consumption.
#13 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM

So, if to maintain my weight I usually consume 1300 calories a day then I should be using 1600 now or is that too little?
#14 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 01:23 PM

If you were taking in 1300 cals and maintaining weight, then yes 1600 should be good. You just never want to be below 1500 during pregnancy since anything below 1200 pre-pregnancy is considered starvation level.
#15 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, today I was supposed to get my furniture from Monterey. That is when they were scheduled to drop everything off. I guess last Friday the moving company called my husband's cell phone and say they were able to drop the stuff off then. However, since DH is military intel, he can't have his cell phone on him at the job. So they called in the morning and he didn't get the message until about 4 or 5 pm. He just let it be because he didn't want to come home to them moving things in anyway, and just to get the stuff on Monday. So today, nobody came. Normal, moving companies often come late.

Well DH calls the company and apparently talks to a complete bitch. She says that since he didn't call back on Friday they had to reschedule the drop. Until July 1st. That makes NO FREAKING SENSE to me because we weren't scheduled to have our stuff dropped off on Friday!!! I broke down crying (big surprise) and am filled with complete rage. I am 6 months pregnant sleeping on a futon in the living room (a full size futon) with my husband and almost 1 year old. I am practically falling off every morning and wake up with cramps, back pains, everything. I was so relieved to finally be getting my furniture and no. I have to wait two more weeks. I haven't slept in a real bed for like 2 months now. It was a blow up mattress for the longest time, and now a wafer thin futon. Im just so pissed off and had to vent on here.

I am thinking about calling the company and talking to the highest up that I can possibly talk to because I know mark didn't ask to talk to the woman's supervisor or anybody. He never does, just kind of accepts what ppl tell him.

#16 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 02:17 PM

oh triple that is horrible! call and bitch your arse off...i would.

i dont get on scales..i dont think its a healthy thing to do during pregnancy. I had JUST lost weight right before getting prego (my prego weight w/ ds3) and i feel im rigth back to that time...ill deal w/ it later...right now i think baby needs it.

birthdoula, i need to work on a quilt too. my machine needs to be set up first though. argh!
#17 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Triple, call up and complain! If nothing else it will make you feel better! That's just absurd that they rescheduled the drop for like, 3 weeks later - it's complete bull! Argh, I'm so aggravated for you!

Tara - glad you're back! So sorry to hear about your husband's Grandpa. That's so sad - but definitely try to make it back to see him at least once more. Strange about your u/s but I'm sure everything is a-ok with the baby. Worth looking into - you're like me, I need to know everything about everything!

Changed - you maintain your weight on 1300 cals? Wow! That's what I eat when I'm trying to lose. Maintenance for me is 1500, but I'll be honest - I have not counted a single calorie since getting pg. Maybe it's my mind protecting itself, but I don't want to know. I want to just eat when I'm hungry (healthy things, that is) and if I have a snack here or there, just allow it. I also know that if I were meticulous about my calories, I might be better off overall, but I just don't want to do it.

Work is so not appealing to me anymore. I'm bored, I spend most of my day online, and I can't STAND training my replacement. Only 14 more weeks till my maternity leave! How exciting!!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#18 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 02:46 PM

Well, after I was on WW for a long time that's what I was at. I bet 1500 would be ok for me too though.

I think a lot of it is mental. Lately I don't feel satisfied after I eat for some reason. For the first 20 weeks I didn't want sweets much at all and now that's all I want. Right now I have a bunch of chocolate baked goods in the house that are driving me INSANE. I wonder, if I stopped weighing myself and ate what I want for a week what would happen? I almost think I'd come in about the same. Then, if I packed on 5-10 pounds I'd be a wreck. I know that the natural train of thought is that your body will gain what it needs and that it's unhealthy to worry about weight gain. I just can't do it.
#19 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 03:01 PM

I totally hear you guys. I am inching towards my "heavy weight"- the weight that I used to weigh a few years ago before getting active and healthy and loosing about 20 pounds (I am only 5 ft tall so loosing 20 lbs was a big deal for me). I was at my highest weight during a very difficult, depressed and sedentary time in my life so seeing the scale inch up brings me back there a little bit.

I try to look at it positively. My weight gain this time is for the good of the baby and is not the same as before. I try to think about all of the amazing ways that my life is different now, how much better and more balanced my life is and I try to think about the amazing days to come of having a little baby (that are not too far in the distance!).

One thing that we have to our advantage is that we've lost weight before. We know both how difficult but also how rewarding and life-changing it can be. So although I am dreading the postpartum days of feeling over weight (rather than pregnant) again, I try to also remember that I've gotten into shape before, that it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done and with a baby in our lives it will only be that more rewarding.

Also, I recently started a pre-natal yoga class which is great! I highly recommend it. I did yoga before, so it makes it very interesting to feel though the poses how my body is changing. I think that this is a good thing, because it helps me to remind myself that being pregnant is distinct from being "out of shape" and that it doesn't mean that I have to stop moving, but that I need to learn new ways to move and be healthy. It is making me aware of my body in ways I had never been before.

I guess all of this is to say that we should all try to look at the positive side and look at this as a new and exciting stage in our life. It will be difficult at times, but I think we can all come out of this stronger and more confident.

Monique
#20 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 06:44 PM

Greetings, everyone!

I'm looking fwd to turning over the big 2-5 weeks this week! Despite my common complaints, I have to say I'm doing really well overall for being pregnant with twins.

I'm sorry and saddened a little to hear you guys struggle with your weight. Don't get me wrong - I mean that in the best way - I just wish it didn't have to be present in your minds. I started off at a higher weight than I would have liked, but having PCOS, weight loss has always been tricky for me.

I'm kind of in the opposite camp! I'm not gaining as much weight as I "should" be for twins. As scary as it is to think about the numbers on the scale, I know that they're not high enough for the babies, and I have to start doing a much better job. I've got to start getting up and eating during the night, which is logistically challenging given my current setup (staying in a 1-rm cottage with my sister - no running water except if I go into the house). Nights are really challenging for me. Just another month, and I'll be moving again - to the house I'll be having the babies at.

Anyway, I offer you all huge hugs and commiseration. It seems that wherever we are on this weight continuum, we'll be struggling with it in one way or another.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#21 of 106 Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Oh Changed, I totally understand. I lost a bunch of weight about six years ago and kept it off, then gained a ton when I was pregnant and still had quite a bit to lose when I got pregnant again. No matter what, I can't help feeling huge and ugly. With my daughter, I loved my rounded belly, but now it just seems...gross. I don't know how to describe it.
So lots of hugs coming your way.
I have an appointment tomorrow night and I'm going to look at beads! I can't wait! I keep thinking about holding those beads during labor and the strength they'll give me. Okay, now I'm just sounding extremely corny. Ahh, the hormones...
#22 of 106 Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 PM

I went by myself to BRU last night and I think I've found our crib! I'm so excited, and it's so nice. The only thing is we definitely can't afford the whole set (it also has a dresser & armoire) so we'll have to mix & match pieces - but I'm not too bummed about that. I just can't justify spending more on my baby's furniture than what we spent on our own bedroom set, lol.

Other than that, my sister officially asked me for addresses for my shower, so something is in the works. That makes me feel special, and also makes me realize how SOON this pregnancy is going to be over! It's flying by, seriously! There are days when I think to myself, "I'm never going to be pregnant with my 1st baby after this," and I get a little sad - but looking forward to meeting her is enough to cheer me right back up!

Still can't concentrate at work.

Still only want to look at baby stuff online.

Oh - I bought my beads last night! They are so pretty! I hope everyone loves them - now I just have to think of a positive saying to put with them for you all. I can't wait to mail them out!

#23 of 106 Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Still can't concentrate at work.

Still only want to look at baby stuff online.
SAME HERE! I used to be such a model employee type, too.
Congrats on finding the crib! I'm excited because I've narrowed it down to five that I like. Finishing the nursery during the second trimester is really important to me, but I am running out of time, and I've done very little in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysaurus View Post
I'm 22 weeks and I'm sick. I have some sort of stomach bug.
Hope you're feeling better!

TaraRae - Sorry to hear about your DH's grandpa. Hope everything works out for the best with the u/s and your family.

triple07 Have you tried calling about the furniture? Maybe if you explain the situation they will be more cooperative? I hope they can get it to you sooner. I feel so sorry for you not having a comfy place to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celesterra View Post
Greetings, everyone!

I'm sorry and saddened a little to hear you guys struggle with your weight. Don't get me wrong - I mean that in the best way - I just wish it didn't have to be present in your minds.
ITA! Best of luck with your upcoming move!

I was sad to discover the little bead shop near my house went out of business some time back. I was hoping to get some great beads for y'all there. Now, I'm not sure where I'll go - Hobby Lobby or Michael's may be my only options unless I order online.

Everything else is going really well. Yesterday, DH finally got a long overdue BIG promotion and raise. I'm so proud and happy for him. So now I' can talk to HR later today or tomorrow to find out my options for maternity leave / leave of absence. I don't really intend to come back, but I'm not interested in burning in bridges either.

I'm hoping to get nursery furniture soon, and get the room put together. I'm afraid I won't feel up to it later into the pregnancy. I want to do it now while I'm feeling so good.

Hope everyone is having a great week!
#24 of 106 Old 06-17-2008, 12:53 PM

^ Dude, my pregnancy book says the 3rd trimester starts at 25 weeks. Um...wth? I'll be in my 3rd trimester come Sunday? So much for getting anything done during the 2nd trimester! I haven't even cleaned the baby's room, let alone gotten anything decorated or set up! I think it's off by a few weeks - another site online says I don't start the 3rd till 4th of July. I like that better!

#25 of 106 Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 PM

According to Amazing Pregnancy, my 3rd tri starts on the 1st day of my 28th week, July 25. My doula says it starts the 1st day of the 29th week. Everyone counts it differently.
#26 of 106 Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM

oh, it's fun to read that we're all starting to get ready now! Carrie, 25 weeks? I thought 3rd tri started at 27!! I guess it's all rather inconsequential anyway, but WOW! This is all very exciting. Glad to hear you found the crib you want. :

I've been in the same mode - in fact, I did a blog post about getting stuff ready yesterday (link in my sig). I spent time washing and sorting all those wee clothes I've collected over the years, only to discover how little I actually have for each size! I got my stroller over the weekend, though, which has been weighing heavy, since the one I really wanted was over $800 new! I managed to get one used on eBay for just $240! I'm trying to be a responsible consumer and get most of the baby stuff used, and have been looking for this stroller for the past 3-4 months!

Cribs are a whole different story... I just don't know what to do. I'll cosleep with the boys, but with only me in the bed, and having never done this before, I don't know how long it will be feasible or safe. I have a double pack n play, and I'm hoping to make do with that, a baby hammock, and either a cosleeper or an amby bed (second hammock) until at least February. Any thoughts on this from you experienced mamas? I just can't see buying a crib (or 2) right now.

Today I'm taking my little sister to the Oregon coast for her 30th bday... should be an amazing little day trip.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#27 of 106 Old 06-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Woot woot! 22 weeks today!!

Getting super anxious. I just bought the 1st clothing for my little girl. They are so adorable! But I'm not buying anything else bc I'm getting a TON of girl clothing given to me by family and freinds. Well... I may buy something for Halloween or something that says "Daddy's Little Girl." I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Starting to worry about fitness a bit. I've never been really fit and I've never ha sto schedule in time to do it. I want to do it in the afternoons, but my boog man (aka ds) is determined to foil all mt stetching by trying to get a piggy back ride or sit in my lap. I fear I shall never master the flat-footed squat, lmao.

Oh and I think I'm starting to get my 1st stretch mark for this pregnancy. Where my belly button is pierced (that's where I got my 1st stretch mark with my son too) there's redness. It's not sore like it would be if it was infected, but the redness is staying. I knew it would evntually happen, so why am I a little sad?? Well, guess I'm about to be a tiger again! RAWR!!!

I keep thinking more and more about going for my VBAC. I'm sooo excited, but I'm trying to prepare myself for another c-section. I'm confident that I will be sucessful and that I will give birth to a beautiful baby girl with no issues, but there's always that what if. So I guess I'm trying to prepare myslef for a let down so that if I do get a repeat for necessary reasons, I don't get so upset and I'm still able to enjoy the wonders of being a enw mom.

That's about all of my blabbering!!

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#28 of 106 Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Celeste- That sounds like plenty to me. You should look into getting a double sided bed rail and plan on putting your bed directly on the floor by 4 or 5 months. It's hard enough to keep one baby from crawling off.

I adore cosleeping as does DH so we aren't buying a crib or anything like that. I had 2 beautiful pottery barn style cribs and we gave them both away to my sister and brother who never use them either because they cosleep now too!

Amy- I got my very first stretch mark there too with my first. Luckily, it ripped so badly that time it hasn't ever worsened.
#29 of 106 Old 06-17-2008, 05:21 PM

We had a second hand crib with ds1 that everyone said we'd 'need.' I made all the linens for it, too. Well, when ds had other plans about sleeping anywhere but with me and dh, much less in the crib, we got rid of it almost as quickly as we got it set up. We've co-slept with our babes ever since, getting them their own "big kid" bed around the 2 year mark.

I will say though, I often find myself drooling over the pottery barn kids catalogs and their baby linens. Dd's toddler bed fits crib sheets so that's how I get my fix of all those pretty linens. I've had a ball making sweet little pillows from vintage quilts and and other fabrics to match some of the PB sheets. I'm sure I'll do the same for this babe once she's ready for her own bed.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#30 of 106 Old 06-17-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
Well, after I was on WW for a long time that's what I was at. I bet 1500 would be ok for me too though.

I think a lot of it is mental. Lately I don't feel satisfied after I eat for some reason. .
Oh my gosh, ALL I want is sweet stuff. I usually don't have much of a sweet tooth-I eat tons of fruits and veggies and prefer that. I'm also vegetarian, and all I've wanted recently is ice cream, cookies, and hamburgers!! It's crazy what our bodies make us want.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page