Anybody here good at interior design? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I think I have a good eye for these things, but wanted to get some opinions. I started painting the baby's room (using Behr Melted Butter 300A-3) and am definitely loving the color. Looks fabulous!

I've seen things on HGTV where they paint the ceiling a pretty color, especially in kids' rooms, and I was thinking of treating the ceiling like a 5th wall and painting it a nice pale blue. Of course crown moulding is going up as well, but that would be white. The room is pretty small, with a ceiling fan. I think perhaps it will help the ceiling recede, making the illusion of a larger room -- what do you guys think?

Any other ideas? If not blue, what color? Thanks ladies! Your help is much appreciated!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM

www.hgtv.com is one of my guilty pleasures. Have you looked at the nurseries in the Rate My Space section of the site? Some of them are really pretty. There's also a web site/design blog called something like Apartment Therapy that has a lot of photos of really cool nurseries.

Anyway, I think a pale blue ceiling would be lovely - especially with the crown moulding. To make your ceiling seem higher, make sure the intensity of the blue is lighter than the intensity of the yellow.
#3 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
www.hgtv.com is one of my guilty pleasures. Have you looked at the nurseries in the Rate My Space section of the site? Some of them are really pretty. There's also a web site/design blog called something like Apartment Therapy that has a lot of photos of really cool nurseries.

Anyway, I think a pale blue ceiling would be lovely - especially with the crown moulding. To make your ceiling seem higher, make sure the intensity of the blue is lighter than the intensity of the yellow.
Ooohh! Thanks for the sites!

Definitely a pale, pale, pale blue. Nothing bold, just faint, like a light blue sky or something (no clouds, ugh, they are so stupid looking to me).

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM

i think what you are going for is going to be beautiful!! post pics of it when it is finished
#5 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
p.s

not in your ddc, but I think that sounds lovely. You can also get these stick on things in constellations or that look like stars when you turn out the lights, and that might be cool too (to stick on the ceiling). And soft rug, like wool berber, or sheepskin rug on hardwood floor.
#6 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 03:03 PM

Oooh I love painted ceilings. And I think a pale blue would look beautiful! Unfortunately I am in an apt building so can't do the whole nursery thing Oh well, Demetri didn't get one either. And I guess it would be pointless since they will both be in our room.

I am addicted to hgtv and some tlc shows

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#7 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 03:29 PM

I love painted ceilings! It adds so much visual interest and warmth to make the room welcoming. I'd love to paint the ceiling in our nursery but we're already doing 2 different colors in the room. It might be a bit much not to mention, finding another complimentary color might be hard! The north and south walls will be soft honey yellow and the east and west walls will be a warm, darker, earthy orange.
#8 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM

I think a pale blue with the butte yellow would be gorgeous! Another option would be a pale celery green, but I think the blue would be better. The colors remind me of some 30's reproduction fabric I have that I made dd a quilt with. I'm picturing the yellow walls with a vintage SunBonnet Sue quilt hanging on the wall.

I love decorating and could imagine room designs all day long.

Yes, do post pics when its done!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#9 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 05:55 PM

We almost bought a house once with a room which had the butter yellow walls, blue ceiling with clouds sponged onto it, and although it was small, it looked terrific. I could barely look beyond the nursery, it was so cute! Unfortnately the rest of the house wasn't in a good location/practical for us, so I'll just have to drool over other people's nurseries. I'd say go for it! I'm jealous that you get to paint!
#10 of 27 Old 06-22-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I need some serious advice. I want to know what you guys think b/c I think I'm getting overwhelmed with options.

I've nixed the blue ceiling idea. The walls are now yellow and I'm going to do 6" stripes of white from about eye level down. I'm trying to decide if I want to do this border along the top of the stripes, or a different border, or just chair rail molding.

Pink Pooh Border

This is the bedding we've registered for:

Patchwork Pooh bedding

Does this even go? I'm so confused! Too many options! There's also the Pink pooh bedding that we like, which is at Baby Depot and would require us to have multiple registries....

What to do?

The crib is black, probably will be all black furniture, if that makes a difference. What would you do?

Oh - and I got wood letters that I'm going to spray paint black that spell out the baby's name that I'll hang on the wall above her crib! I'm so excited about that!

#11 of 27 Old 06-22-2008, 11:32 PM

Well, I really like the old style, less animated looking pooh stuff (like the border) but I don't know how much that would go in the room, you were going with crown molding, no? Anyway, As for the bedding, I like the pink bedding much better than the green...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#12 of 27 Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 PM

We're doing stripes too! And considering a chair rail. Personally for your room I like the chair rail idea the best, but I just always avoid wallpaper (even borders).
#13 of 27 Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
but I just always avoid wallpaper (even borders).
:

#14 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 AM

I think painted stripes plus a border would be a little much, but I do like the idea of a chair rail. We're going to need a thread just for all the pictures of our babies' rooms!
#15 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I see what you guys are saying.

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to accomplish - I don't think the border looks like too much w/the stripes, but this border really matches the colors on the wall.

Stripes & Border

I think the decision I need to make is do I want pink bedding or neutral bedding. That's going to be the key to getting this right...

And yes, I'm definitely posting pics of this room when it's done! We'll need a thread!

#16 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM

OK, something totally different was in my head!!! THAT looks really cute! I think if you can find a pink pooh bedding that matches the border, it would look really adorable.

#17 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Does the pink pooh bedding I've chosen not match that border? Oh no! I can't seem to find classic pooh pink bedding!

#18 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 02:38 PM

I think this one matches better.
#19 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

It does match better b/c it's part of that set...

Watch I scrap the whole idea and go with chair rail, lol.

#20 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 04:01 PM

I would choose the chair rail option personally! I think it would look more classic and it would match anything that you buy bedding wise and will even look awesome in years to come....

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#21 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 04:27 PM

So true.
#22 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina~mom2be View Post
I would choose the chair rail option personally! I think it would look more classic and it would match anything that you buy bedding wise and will even look awesome in years to come....
I agree. But, I very strongly dislike wallpaper of any type. JMO.
#23 of 27 Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 AM

if you are still going to do the crown molding i would go with the chair rail.

i also like the pink(er) bedding
#24 of 27 Old 06-24-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys! I talked to my best friend Diane yesterday on the phone, and slept on it last night and have decided to do the chair rail around the top of the stripes! I'm going to also do crown moulding, so I think this will definitely look the best and be the most versatile option.

I can decorate with a ton of pink elsewhere if I so choose, but I don't think I want to be locked into pink with a border. It's too limiting, I think, even though it is absolutely adorable.

Still going to go ahead with the pink bedding.

Ready to get my laser level and start taping the stripes off! I'm going to stop at Home Depot on the way home and get the white paint. Can't wait! So glad I made up my mind - and so glad you guys helped me out!

#25 of 27 Old 06-24-2008, 11:32 AM

I think you made a wise choice. I'm so looking forward to seeing pics of how your nursery turns out. I know it's going to be adorable.
#26 of 27 Old 06-25-2008, 02:34 PM

I can't wait to see a pic when it's all done. It's sounds really nice!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#27 of 27 Old 06-25-2008, 04:48 PM

I think its going to be beautiful! I can't wait to see pics when its finished.

I also bought letters to spell out the baby's name too! Except, we're having a boy and doing a sailboat theme. LOL. The focal wall is going to be a dark blue and I'm painting the letters in a light blue to contrast.

Anyway, I'm sure its going to look great!!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page