Forum Jump: 

#121 of 140 Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
the cost for the class isnt "that" bad i dont think....mine is $245
Unfortunately for me, DH and I are really struggling to even come up with the $650 that is out of pocket for our MW's birth assistant fee. I think if we throw another $250 (and I think these classes were more expensive than that, too) we wouldn't be able to eat... We are having a rough time money wise at the moment. Im really sad because I don't think I'm even going to be able to go to Las Vegas for my family reunion (and when I say family, it is all my brothers and sisters plus my mommy, and all 8 of us haven't been "together" since I was 1 y/o )

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#122 of 140 Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 PM

^ Hey Triple....

Have you checked the prices for the train? It is a lot cheaper to travel the train than it is to drive or fly, in most cases.

We just got two roundtrip tickets for my niece and nephew and it cost us as much money as it would have been to drive one-way...just in gas, that's not including food and mileage costs.
#123 of 140 Old 07-04-2008, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I will check that out. I mean, the plane tickets are a great deal, through military it is $200 roundtrip...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#124 of 140 Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
Unfortunately for me, DH and I are really struggling to even come up with the $650 that is out of pocket for our MW's birth assistant fee. I think if we throw another $250 (and I think these classes were more expensive than that, too) we wouldn't be able to eat... We are having a rough time money wise at the moment. Im really sad because I don't think I'm even going to be able to go to Las Vegas for my family reunion (and when I say family, it is all my brothers and sisters plus my mommy, and all 8 of us haven't been "together" since I was 1 y/o )
im sorry. s

im supposed to be sending you something anyway. for some reason my pm's disappeared though and i dont have your addy anymore. can you pm me again pls and ill try to get what i was going to send in the mail on monday.
#125 of 140 Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post

ugh! Where do you live? We are moving soon to a place where we will get rain in the summers and I'm not looking forward to that. I was actually thinking about it the other day..."how am I going to line dry in the rain?"

Props to you for continuing to do it...we'll see if I'll beable to stick with it.
haha! well this last week has been like that...not so much all the time. G-d and I have just been playing this little game for the last week or so! lol!

i absolutely love hanging laundry. i actually started a thread here a while back for laundry hangers. i love not using the dryer for environmental reasons and i love that my clothes come inside folded.
#126 of 140 Old 07-04-2008, 11:56 PM

The childbirth class I'm taking is sort of just based on natural childbirth, no particular method. So, I'm sort of leaning towards getting the Hypnobabies stuff in addition. I want to go to a few classes first and see if I need to. I just think the whole self hypnosis thing sounds fabulous; I'd love to see if I can really do it. But to spend $225 on a class, plus $140 on Hypnobabies - is it really worth it to do both? We'll see.

Our 4th of July was fun. We spend it at my IL's with great food and good conversation. It was kinda crappy weather so I didn't get to go swimming. I vow to go swimming at least once during this 3rd trimester!

I'm definitely getting bigger. I can just feel it. I love it.

My allergies totally got awful today, and Chris (being the wonderful husband that he is) just ran out to get me some Benadryl. Isn't he the sweetest? I mean, really - running out at 10:30 pm to the closest 24 hour Walgreens (20 min away) just to get me some Benadryl?

He really is the best.

OH - and BIG NEWS! The in-laws told us they are buying us the nursery furniture!! Woo hoo! Bonus! We are so incredibly happy!!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#127 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
Thanks I will check that out. I mean, the plane tickets are a great deal, through military it is $200 roundtrip...
Wow, $200. That's the best military discount I've seen...It's about time.
#128 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
The childbirth class I'm taking is sort of just based on natural childbirth, no particular method. So, I'm sort of leaning towards getting the Hypnobabies stuff in addition. I want to go to a few classes first and see if I need to. I just think the whole self hypnosis thing sounds fabulous; I'd love to see if I can really do it. But to spend $225 on a class, plus $140 on Hypnobabies - is it really worth it to do both? We'll see.
Hypnobabies actually tells you NOT to take any other classes, Bradley, Lamaze, whatever. I just want something real to use, not just bearing the pain b/c it's "supposed" to be painful. Hypnobabies is all about it NOT being painful. In fact, I am not supposed to even use the "p" word- and contractions are pressure waves. I'm sticking to strictly just the home Hypnobabies course personally.

I had my first sneeze/cough and pee last night I was so happy it hadn't happened to me-I thought I was safe. I started laughing and coughing at the same time, and weeee, all over the bed. How sucky.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#129 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 PM

^ I know what you're saying. I'm sort of hoping the real life classes prepare us both for the birth, though. I think Chris will get something out of the classes that he obviously wouldn't get if I were doing a self-hypnosis course all by myself.

Whatever works, you know.

Had the most awful night last night. My allergies were terrible, but I also starting having round ligmant pains in my abdomen that were crippling. They lasted all night - kept me sort of awake and in pain until 4 am when they subsided. I couldn't move, it was almost like someone had a knife in my side. Ugh, it was terrible. I'm glad the pain is now gone.

27 weeks tomorrow! Officially in the 3rd Trimester! Woo hoo!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#130 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Whoo Hoo on the 3rd tri Carrie. Hope that pain stays away!!!

With me, i scheduled my u/s for Monday... Oh well, I still feel like it is completely rediculous for me to get it, but it really makes DH feel more excited about the pregnancy, so... IDK.

ANYWAYS on a more fun note. We are planning the birthday party for DS next weekend or something and we are going to do a carnival theme and instead of birthday cake we are going to make funnel cakes and cotton candy Im super excited about it

#131 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 03:22 PM

carrie, im taking the hypnobirthing class w/ another couple. my partner cant attend b/c well..we need a babysitter and dont do other babysitters at this age (baby is 2.5), so i bring home what i learn but the other couple is doing it together.
#132 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
Hypnobabies actually tells you NOT to take any other classes, Bradley, Lamaze, whatever. I just want something real to use, not just bearing the pain b/c it's "supposed" to be painful. Hypnobabies is all about it NOT being painful. In fact, I am not supposed to even use the "p" word- and contractions are pressure waves. I'm sticking to strictly just the home Hypnobabies course personally.

I had my first sneeze/cough and pee last night I was so happy it hadn't happened to me-I thought I was safe. I started laughing and coughing at the same time, and weeee, all over the bed. How sucky.
Dahlea, I also belong to the Hypnobabies Yahoo group and on there, plenty of people take the Hypnobirthing class and then have Hypnobabies homestudy to do at home as well. This is what I am planning on doing...our Hypnobirthing class begins next week. I looked and looked for a Hypnobabies class but found none.
As I wrote on the Yahoo group, I would prefer to take Hypnobabies from what I have read but got zero response from their HQs which is here in Southern Cali after calling them twice and leaving them messages asking for instructors. I found a great teacher here who teaches Hypnobirthing and even if it isn't Hypnobabies, she is warm, responsive, called me back immediately and has over 25 years experience as a hypnosis therapist and as a doula.
I decided that we would do it b/c a live class would involve my husband more than a homestudy course would.
I wish our Hypnobirthing class was more affordable- its $400- eeeeeps!
BUT she can help us with getting a doula we can afford (as she has doulas she mentors who need a few more births to be certified) and she is quite well known and respected in LA. I was recommended to her by my MWs.
So, I think we are gonna just suck it up and try to afford this class...pay as we go.
Her contacts for doulas make it worth it to me but still $400 is so steep and we are trying to save for a new car. Our old Volvo has been breaking down again and again. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, the sneeze n pee? I have been doing this everytime for at least a month now.

We had a nice day yesterday...went out to Malibu's Zuma Beach all afternoon and early evening. Laid out on blankets and read, ate, drank iced pregnancy tea then did meditation and some yoga in the sand.
Very relaxing and left as the fireworks were kicking up.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#133 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 06:55 PM

SO, the hip pain has finally found me this week. I've been waking up with my very low back/hips (actually, the pain is on both sides of my sacrum) and I haven't really changed anything. Still using the body pillow when I'm sleeping and trying to watch my posture. It goes away after I've been up for a little while thank goodness, so it's not a huge problem but it does kind of suck to wake up in pain every morning.

In other news... I gave in today and bought a new bra. Not a nursing bra but a supportive bra that makes my boobs look great. Yay! I know I won't be able to wear it too long but I figure I might as well have a cute VS bra while I can. I also found a PJ set there that will be great for nursing- on clearance! I always treat myself to special pajamas for birth-day.
#134 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
In other news... I gave in today and bought a new bra. Not a nursing bra but a supportive bra that makes my boobs look great. Yay! I know I won't be able to wear it too long but I figure I might as well have a cute VS bra while I can. I also found a PJ set there that will be great for nursing- on clearance! I always treat myself to special pajamas for birth-day.
Changed - Sorry about the pain...that sounds like the sciatic. I get it everday on and off...sitting irritates it.

Hooray for new bras. I just bought some VS only I have to brag b/c I bought them at an outlet while we were in FL. They were all $10 ea so I asked my DH if I could get 3...he was like, "uh, last time we went to VS wasn't it like $80 for 2 bras? Go ahead...I don't care." I'd been wearing cheap nursing bras for the last 17 months so now I feel like I have the most beautiful breasts ever!

I did throw out my old nursing bras b/c this time I am going to actually get some good ones rather than what motherhood maternity carries. It's so worth it....don't try to save money when it comes to nursing bras...I've done it with two kids and I'm not doing it again!
#135 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 07:19 PM

Hmm, what are some good brands of nursing bras? And when to buy? I haven't ever bought a "real" bra before, all my bras are just Hanes bras from Target or Kohls. Having itty bitty boobies means you don't even need underwire and can get away with pretty much anything that hides the headlights. But with nursing bras, I'm willing to pay a little more and get a good fit. Any advice?

DH and I went to a Carter's outlet today and I bought the sweetest little fleece pants and sweatjacket outfit for the baby - on clearance for $3.99 for each piece! Can't beat that! I also picked up a onesie that's got pink stripes and little teensy flowers on it b/c it was too adorable for words. It's was only $8.00, so it was a steal.

Other than that, just taking it easy. It's a rainy crappy day so not much to do besides watch the boob tube and play on the computer!

#136 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 08:02 PM

No, it's not sciatic. I have that too but it runs down the back of my leg and starts lower around my tailbone. Fun stuff isn't it?

Carrie- I'm on the smallish side too and have a few nursing bras in mind that I want.

1- bella materna anytime bralette (says it only comes as small as a C cup but I was told by a bra shop owner here somewhere that it runs small)
2- japanese weekend hugs bralette
3- nursing bra/tank (i've tried and love these!)
4- the new motherhood secret fit nursing tank (haven't tried yet) corsierre
#137 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 PM

I always had small boobs too but once my milk came in I went up a cup and a half or so...maybe don't buy any nursing bras until you get your milk. You can buy the little sleep bras that make it easy to nurse for the first couple of weeks until you get yours.

FYI I bought some of the regular motherhood nursing tanks and they suck! The glamourmom tanks are great too but I have found that their sizing chart runs a bit small.

I'm going for some moulded cup nursing bras this time with an underwire.
#138 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 PM

I got some awesome nursing bras this time, the brand is Anita. Some of the Goddess bras are good too. But I'm rather. . . buxom.

The sneeze/pee thing is really getting annoying. I had gotten my kegels back into fantastic shape after DS was born, and now, it's like, 'What are Kegels?'

And I HATE wearing undies, let alone pantyliners!

For the Hypnobabies mamas, why do they not want you to take any other classes?

Bradley suggests that birth does not need to be painful, and stresses knowing what's happening and why, so you don't have to be afraid. Fear causes pain, etc. If you're a neurotic info-junkie like me, that approach works quite well!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#139 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
For the Hypnobabies mamas, why do they not want you to take any other classes?

Bradley suggests that birth does not need to be painful, and stresses knowing what's happening and why, so you don't have to be afraid (my emphasis). Fear causes pain, etc. If you're a neurotic info-junkie like me, that approach works quite well!
I was wondering about this with hypnosis. I'm not too familiar with it but will you know what is happening during birth? It just seems kind of weird to me.
#140 of 140 Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 PM

i dont know about hypnobabies...im not exactly sure what their spin is but i know hypnobirthing is definitely about focusing on yourself and your baby during birth..you are definitely not "detached" as some critics like to say. you are very much aware and connected to what is going on within you...just not as much as what others are doing around you so much (at least thats the idea...to not let others distract you).

hypnobirthing is over 20 years old and is definitely focused on releasing fear (there is no reference to pain, etc. etc. in that program). im not sure about hypobabies, but it is a rather newer class (I think its a little over 5 years old but im not sure exactly). From reading the websites i really cant tell a difference between teh two.

i took hypnobirthing class 2 years ago and can definitely tell you it works. however, i wasnt as committed to it then and didnt have the CDs (not sure what happened there but i never got the CD). i am looking forward to using it during teh pushing stage this time...as that will be much calmer if i focus on that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page