Weekly Chit Chat 6/29 - 7/5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, welcome to another week mamas!!!

Today I went to a pretty awesome baby store about 15 minutes away and have decided upon the double stroller I want (Kolcraft Contours) and the new carseat (Graco SafeSeat). I am going to be so bummed though if I can't get the floor model for the carseat because I instantly fell in love with the pattern and that is the only one they have. I guess it has been discontinued. I swear this always happens to me!!! Oh well.

I have my next appt. with the MW on Wednesday... I am going to see if she is going to order an u/s then... I still don't know if I want one.

Well, I hope this week is wonderful for you all

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Thanks for starting the new thread, Maryann! Another week done for us all - YAY!

Just popping in to wish you all a great week.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
Old 06-29-2008, 07:49 PM

we just got the safeseat and I am very happy about it....I think it will be great to have a seat that goes beyond the 22lb mark that my last one went to.

That kolkraft contours looks like a really cool stroller. Is it heavy? Easy to push?

I am 24 weeks tomorrow and soooo very excited to be hitting that milestone!! Other then that not much going on with me pregnancy wise.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the new thread Maryann!

We painted the nursery today! YAY! The second/final coat is drying now and then we'll put the vent and electrical covers back on. I can't wait to get my Mom's paintings up and get the Classic Pooh bedding on a crib! Granted, we need to get a crib but still, it's exciting that the hard part is done! My back is killing me. While we were waiting for the first coat to dry, I got on my hands and knees and did some pelvic tilts and hung out in child's pose for a while. It felt better temporarily and moved Hufflette away from my cervix. Little booger was cozy down low today and it was getting uncomfortable. I'm guessing it's probably because I was in a squatted position for so long. Anyway, I'll post pics when it's put back together. Right now, the dresser is still in the middle of the room and the plastic carpet covers are still out.

Have a wondeful rest of your Sunday ladies!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

myrmom, I was all set on getting a Maxi Cosi Micro carseat because I read that it was one of the safest yadda-yadda-yadda and the woman working at this upscale boutique flat out told me it wasn't very safe. She said usually she hates Graco carseats but this one was the safest seat she has come across and recommended it over all the super expensive ones!

Tara that is awesome! I know its gotta be a great feeling to get things going~

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 PM

^Is that Graco better than the Britax ones? We registered for a Britax Boulevard (have plenty of room for a large carseat in my car) because I'd seen that one recommended the most around here.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Simply going by what the lady at the boutique said, and she has worked/owned this store for years, the SafeSeat was the safest...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:36 PM

go over to the car seat forum or car-seat.org board for advice on car seats.

i have a HUGE issue w/ Graco b/c of the way they have refused to issue recalls on car seat defects before, even though they know about the problem. I have been more than happy w/ using Britax and i do recommend them more than any other car seats out there but thats b/c they are easy to install and very good quality..i would not however, splurge on an infant car seat by Britax. i use the convertibles from day 1, but my kids are usually born on the larger side so they fit..many dont for a few months.

anyway...off my soap box now. i dont think there are "safest" car seats...the car seat that is best for you (general you) is the one that is good for your car, you baby and that you can install easily.

im just a car seat nut!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
i use the convertibles from day 1, but my kids are usually born on the larger side so they fit..many dont for a few months.
So, when the convertible carseats say that they fit a 5 lb baby, it's not really true? That would suck, we just got our britax marathon....We figured we could use it from birth to 4 or 5 years or so. If they meet the weight requirement for the seat, how can you tell when it doesn't fit? Is it that the straps are too loose?

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
Old 06-29-2008, 10:59 PM

Happy new week everyone! Wow, I can't believe I'm 26 weeks today!:

As far as carseats go, we are getting a Graco Snugride. It gets really good reviews, and I found a pattern that I really love.

The drama continues surrounding my shower. I can't worry about it b/c it causes me such stress. Apparently my sister isn't being good about contacting my MIL about any of the details. MIL doesn't even know when it is or where, and has sent multiple unanswered emails to my sister asking about things. I have to just throw my hands up - it's not my fault and it isn't my problem. I have so many bones to pick with how the whole situation is being handled that I can't even begin to think about it or I just get upset. But still, it's drama and blah to drama.

On the upside, I finished the stripes on one wall of the nursery - I pulled the tape down and they look FABULOUS! I am quite proud of myself! The room is going to look so good! I can't wait to finish the painting, though. Then Chris can put up the crown moulding and chair rail, and things will start to look finished.

My childbirth classes start on July 7th! Soon, soon!

I've been to the chiro twice and it's REALLY helping. He wants to see me 2 times a week for a bit. I'm so glad I listened to you guys' advice and looked into it. My back feels SO much better, and I'm sleeping so much better too.

Alright, off to eat dinner. Talk to you guys soon!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 06-29-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
So, when the convertible carseats say that they fit a 5 lb baby, it's not really true? That would suck, we just got our britax marathon....We figured we could use it from birth to 4 or 5 years or so. If they meet the weight requirement for the seat, how can you tell when it doesn't fit? Is it that the straps are too loose?
We have a britax marathon and used it from birth with my second. The baby fits if the belts are snug around them. You are suppose to have the shoulder straps come from below their shoulders and then up and over them...rather then a downward angle. Does that make sense.

I am totally happy with mine and I love the little insert that goes inside the seat for making the area a little smaller for infants. Did yours come with one?

You'll be happy with it...it's a big car seat so of course they look tiny in it for awhile but the fit is about the belt.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
We have a britax marathon and used it from birth with my second. The baby fits if the belts are snug around them. You are suppose to have the shoulder straps come from below their shoulders and then up and over them...rather then a downward angle. Does that make sense.

I am totally happy with mine and I love the little insert that goes inside the seat for making the area a little smaller for infants. Did yours come with one?

You'll be happy with it...it's a big car seat so of course they look tiny in it for awhile but the fit is about the belt.
No, mine didn't come with that insert. Thanks for the info though, I will look for where I can order it separately.

It makes sense how you described the straps fitting. I guess I will just hope that they will fit from the beginning.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 PM

We've got the Britax Boulevard sitting in our little baby stuff corner and it does look huge! I will also check out the infant insert thing, but I've heard from lots and lots of Mommas that unless your baby is super tiny it works well for the weight requirements they list. Since we're having a homebirth, and can walk everywhere we'd really "need" to go right away, we figured if the kid was too tiny they'd chunk up soon and it'd work out.

Spent the afternoon at a different swimming spot on a different river with a NEW bikini - much better!!! Dh took a pic, but I swear I don't know what he's thinking sometimes b/c he didn't zoom at all and it just looks like this lady way out in the river that you can barely see. We only stayed a couple hours though b/c all the smoke from NorCal was getting to us. You can hardly see, it's like this really thick smog and it's turning the sunset light REALLY orange.

Funny story from last night... I went to bed before Dh and when he climbed in he started rubbing my belly, getting all mushy thoughted about "oh baby"... when he realized that he was rubbing my bum! Guess the two have similar bumps to them in the dark at the moment!

Have a good week ladies!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 06-29-2008, 11:55 PM

here's an insert from BRU that you can use in the car seat and the stroller. I'm going with 2 Graco safeseats to start, then the boys will get Marathons, too... ugh, so expensive! I couldn't take the chance that they'd be too small for their seats, though, since they could be smaller than average.

Sounds like things are really coming together for you who are working on nurseries! Good news!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
Old 06-30-2008, 12:04 AM

We're using the Graco Snugride. I love love love that carseat. We used it with my son and it was great. So we're passing his carseat down. Had it inspected and since it's never been in an accident and is still under warranty we are good to go! YAY!

I leave for TX in 4 days! I'm excited but nervous because 1. my son's never been on that long of a trip and 2. He's never been away from home that long and we'll be gone about 5 days or so. So we'll have to se how it's going. I'm writing up a list of things to take and trying to figure out what is and isn't necessary. I'm just nervous thinking we'll need something and it'll be at home!! But it''l be nice to hubby to see all of his family and for me to see a few of mine. Especially since it's been 3 years and none of them have ever met our son.

Other than that I'm just waiting for this kiddo to get here! I'm ready for it. Extra ready because I'm already getting the 3rd trimester aches & pains that I didn't get until I was months along with my son, lol. Can't wait for those to be gone!!

Well, hope you all have a nice week!!!

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 AM

Hi ladies!

I'm still here - though I don't make it in here every day. Good luck on the carseat hunting. We always used an infant carseat (so we could remove it and shop without waking baby up), but our giant-sized babies usually outgrew it by 5 months or so. We have convertible carseats for the rest.

No change in my separation from DH. He is in France right now. He can have contact with the children, but not with me during the domestic violence case. However, he has been missing their phone calls and ignoring them - perhaps some form of punishment? It hurts to see DS asking why papa won't speak to him. It is still a horrible situation. On the bright side, I went to a Texas midwife near here and had a good prenatal visit. I have gained 20 lbs already - and I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead. It looks like a big baby girl.

Hope you all have a good week ahead!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
No, mine didn't come with that insert. Thanks for the info though, I will look for where I can order it separately.

It makes sense how you described the straps fitting. I guess I will just hope that they will fit from the beginning.
Okay, sorry...we have a decathlon but I think they are basically the same. You should really try to find an insert that is made by britax so that it fits well. I wouldn't have really felt like the baby felt snug and secure w/o one. If you end up not being able to find one let me know, I might have an extra one.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:27 AM

Ack! Car seat talk! I can't decide if I want an infant seat to start with or just go with a convertible. I do not expect to have a teeny-tiny baby so the size issue shouldn't be a problem. A convertible would be nice 'cause it would last for so much longer, but a bucket would be nice for if the bugger isn't amenable to being taken out of their seat and carried around for shopping trips or whatever.

I'm 25 1/2 weeks today. I'm really wanting to meet my little one, but I'm also trying to be careful to not wish the time away - I'll never again be pregnant with THIS child.

Other than ordering some diapers online and getting some clothes from a Salvation Army in town, I've done NOTHING to get ready so far. I'm very impressed by those of you painting and decorating nurseries! Will look forward to seeing the pictures.

ETA: LOL at Amber's "baby bum".
Old 06-30-2008, 10:51 AM

We got a Graco Snugride-that was my husband's decision-he likes to be in charge of all the safety type stuff, so he did some research and decided on that one.
We're not getting a stroller as we plan to only babywear. I need to get cracking on sewing a mei tai, I've already got a sling ring.
I've been getting better on sewing diapers-got a bunch of T's I'm going to recycle into prefolds this week. I still need a ton more though!
On the fun side of sewing, I made these skully shoes. I don't know how well they'll stay on, but they sure are cute, and fast, too!
I switched OBs and have my first appointment with the new one on the 7th, and I'm really crossing my fingers that he is good.
I really really wanted a home birth, but the midwife had to be prepaid almost $5000 and we don't have that kind of money so we picked the OB that the midwife uses for a backup. We've been doing a lot of reading and might just go the unassisted way since I'm about as low risk as you can get.

Hope everyone else has a good week.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
as long as the requirements of the seats are met, they fit. its the straps along the shoulders that most of the time cause issues with newborns i believe. alot of ppl say their baby wasnt tall enough. mine are and fit fine. You just wont know until you try.

Quote:

its not safe to use an after market product. they have not been tested. Britax's Blvd. comes w/ an infant insert but not the MA. If you use the after market product, it voids your warranty on the car seat and also can be potentially dangerous, as it causes compression during an accident, making the straps not as tight as you thought they were when putting baby in the car seat that trip. Its highly recommended to only use what came w/ the car seat.

the same goes for heavy winter coats or snow suits. the baby shouldnt have anything bulky on when in the car seat at all (fleece is ok from what i understand). Those little "bundle me" things are a big no no from a safety perspective.

not trying to lecture..this is just one of my passions. go to the Family Safety forum here or the car seat org board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leurMaman View Post
He can have contact with the children, but not with me during the domestic violence case. However, he has been missing their phone calls and ignoring them - perhaps some form of punishment? It hurts to see DS asking why papa won't speak to him. It is still a horrible situation. On the bright side, I went to a Texas midwife near here and had a good prenatal visit. I have gained 20 lbs already - and I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead. It looks like a big baby girl.

Hope you all have a good week ahead!
leurmaman, i hope things get better for the kids soon. it sucks your dh is taking it out on them. ive gained about 20 lbs. thus far too. im good w/ that. I hope you are taking care of yourself and finding some "you" time. s
Old 06-30-2008, 11:48 AM

^ It's good to know about the coats and whatnot, about them not being safe to use with carseats. I don't have a garage, and I worry about taking my LO out of the house during snow season w/o a coat on. Or do I just get her in the car, then remove her coat? That makes more sense. I know I'll figure these things out eventually! Having placenta brain doesn't help. Does it go away after the baby's born? Otherwise I think I'll be making some pretty silly mistakes.

Man, I'm so TIRED today. Is it just me or is anyone else already counting the days until their maternity leave? I have 58 days left!

At least we have a short week here in the states. Anybody have plans for the 4th of July?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 06-30-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

We are hanging out with some friends for the 4th... Next Monday is DS's 1st birthday :: It is bittersweet. I think instead of celebrating during the 4th weekend, since everybody will be doing cookouts and such, we will celebrate the weekend after that...

Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM

We registered for the Britax Blvd. too. It has a "hugs" system for infants and side impact bars. It does look huge though. We went with a convertible so it would last us a while, hopefully it does.

I'm so glad this is a short week! We're planning on having some friends over to bbq with. It will be fun. Then I plan to REALX.

Carrie~ I'm counting down until I'm finished with work too! I just can't wait to be done, although I'm not actually coming back- which is wonderful and scary at the same time. Although I still have 13 weeks left... ugh.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
We have a Marathon (and a Roundabout, and a Husky, and a Parkway) and have used both the Marathon and Roundabout from birth. Then again, I have 9-10 lb kiddos so they fit snug enough in a convertible. That said, if I had a 5 lb babe I'd definately feel more comfy with putting them in an infant seat as opposed to a convertible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
At least we have a short week here in the states. Anybody have plans for the 4th of July?
I'm working the night of the 4th, but only for a few hours. We have a really good view of the fireworks from our yard so we'll be staying home. On the 4th 2 years ago I was moving into active labor watching the fireworks through my bathroom window between ctx in my tub. It was the most memorable 4th I've ever had! DD's b-day is the 5th so I'll be getting ready for her party and putting together her strawberry cake on the afternoon of the 4th.

Oh, I just got my beads mailed out this morning...I'm so happy!!

Have a great week mamas!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:52 PM

^Since I'm pg with my first, I decided not to take any chances - that's why I'm getting an infant seat. I have no idea what size this baby will be. At first I was looking at the convertible carseats to save money in the long run, but when I started reading things about infants not fitting comfortably, I just decided to go with the infant seat. It'll only be for car rides, since I plan on babywearing most of the time anyways.

I ordered all my newborn dipes and looks like they'll be delivered TOMORROW! : I can't wait to see them!

Oh, and I found a crib and dresser at Baby Depot that I adore, so we're moving right along. The crib is $399 and the dresser is $500. Maybe one of them will be a gift? Who knows at this point?

Oh, I wanted to ask - is anyone else getting maternity photos done? I'm thinking about doing these as a surprise for Chris, and also to have a nice photo (maybe an 8 X 10, black and white) to frame and hang in the baby's room. It's not cheap, but I'm thinking it might be something I would regret not doing, and I would love to see a flattering photo of myself heavily pregnant.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Oh, I wanted to ask - is anyone else getting maternity photos done? I'm thinking about doing these as a surprise for Chris, and also to have a nice photo (maybe an 8 X 10, black and white) to frame and hang in the baby's room. It's not cheap, but I'm thinking it might be something I would regret not doing, and I would love to see a flattering photo of myself heavily pregnant.
I planned on it with DS but wanted to wait until I was super pregnant looking, but never got there. I want to again, and I think I might at 30 or so weeks... I wanted to wait until 35 last time...

Old 06-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Too funny about the "baby bump butt"! That really gave me a good out loud laugh! I imagine we're shaped similarly.....I have quite the bubble butt. My Mom has been teasing me about my belly and my butt matching now.

leumaman, you know you're always in my thoughts. You sound like such a strong woman/mom.

The Britax Boulevard we registered for did come with the insert thing for the infants. That was a big deciding factor for me on which Britax to get since I'd heard things about infants not fitting if they're smaller (though I'm anticipating an 8lb babe). Does anyone know if the carriers that come in the stroller sets can be used as an infant carseat if you buy a base? DH thinks we need a carrier so I let him pick the stroller set but I have no idea if we could even use that carrier outside of the stroller/carrying purposes.

Carrie, yes, I'm doing maternity coquettes (sexy pics including nudes). I'll be waiting until I'm about 36wks though so I'll be nice and big and round. She recommends waiting as long as you can. A good friend of mine is a professional photog and did my coquettes for DH's wedding gift and she was also one of my training clients for a long time. I can't wait! She's so talented and I love how she presents and views the pg body. I'll definitely be sharing if anyone wants to see. I've also considered asking our wedding photogs to photograph the birth but DH isn't into it. They actually offer that as one of their sittings. I suppose I won't know how I'll feel about having professional pics being taken while I'm birthing though anyway. Maybe I wouldn't want them there! I guess I'll just make sure someones got a good digital in the room!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I am just going to either mom of DH take pictures during the birth...

Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
We have a Marathon (and a Roundabout, and a Husky, and a Parkway) and have used both the Marathon and Roundabout from birth. Then again, I have 9-10 lb kiddos so they fit snug enough in a convertible. That said, if I had a 5 lb babe I'd definately feel more comfy with putting them in an infant seat as opposed to a convertible.
Hmmm, I am having major carseat confusion now...So, do you use anything extra for head support in the Britax Marathon for a newborn? My babe will almost surely be over 7lbs...probably in the 8-9 lb range. We really won't be driving much for the first month or so...maybe take the babe to the ped. once during that time. I could just sit in the back with him and hold his head up, i guess....

The insert that Celeste linked to says that it doesn't add any padding on the back, just on the sides, and that it's been crash tested. Still a no-no, huh passionatewriter?

Should I exchange the Marathon and shell out the extra $30 for the Boulevard because it has the newborn support stuff??

Old 06-30-2008, 02:45 PM

First of all, Amber Lion, my DH did the SAME THING one night! It was hilarious.
LeurMaman - I am so sorry to hear how your DH is treating your children.
Triple07 - Happy B'Day to your cute little DS!
TaraRae - We painted the nursery yesterday, too. Well, DH did most of the painting, honestly. I did a lot of taping and edging. Right now we have three yellow walls, and one green wall. The wall opposite the green wall will be painted with vertical stripes tonight if we feel the paint has cured enough.
Carrie, how long did you wait to paint your stripes over the base coat? Do you have any advice for us?

I really enjoyed seeing my friend from California. I found out she's TTC and could possibly be pregnant right now. I'm so excited for her, but sad that she lives so far away. She brought lots of cute stuff for the baby.

Big news - we finally ordered our crib and dresser. They should arrive no later than six weeks from now. We went with Bonavita Metro, which had DH singing the Berlin song all weekend.

We also test drove some strollers, and I think we decided on one that's really light and easy to fold up. The only problem is that it has a matching infant car seat, that DH really wants. That means I have to start over on my car seat research!!! : I had decided on a convertible carseat that was rated high on Consumer Reports, but DH really wants the infant carseat that fits into the stroller. We plan on babywearing, so I don't see what the big deal is about being able to fit the carseat into the stroller, anyway! At least car seats are the hot topic of the Chit Chat thread this week; it's good to get all these perspectives and resources.

I stayed up late working on my beads (DH helped, he's so helpful lately). I'm going to try to get to the post office during lunch today. I have to work an extended shift today and tomorrow, that's the only sucky thing about this week, though. We're going to the family cabin at the lake Friday, and I can't wait!!! I'm going to finally be able to go swimming!

User Tag List