Weekly Chit-Chat 7/6 - 7/12 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
So how do you wash your mama pads? Do you wash them with diapers? Do you rinse/soak, etc.?

The one thing I remember hating pp was that store bought pads always make me really itchy b/c I'm really sensitive to them.

But as far as when my menses returns, I really like to wear tampons so I guess something like a diva cup would be better for me. I would probably never use and cloth pads again so it might be sort of wasteful as far a money goes. This might be kind of gross but do people buy used mama pads?
I converted to cloth pads after my daughter was born and I found them super convenient because I would just toss them in the wash with the diapers, no soak or rinse required. And because I washed diapers daily, I didn't need a ton of pads. There are plenty of people who buy used cloth pads, especially postpartum ones so you wouldn't have much difficulty selling them.
#92 of 108 Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
So how do you wash your mama pads? Do you wash them with diapers? Do you rinse/soak, etc.?

The one thing I remember hating pp was that store bought pads always make me really itchy b/c I'm really sensitive to them.

But as far as when my menses returns, I really like to wear tampons so I guess something like a diva cup would be better for me. I would probably never use and cloth pads again so it might be sort of wasteful as far a money goes. This might be kind of gross but do people buy used mama pads?
i use both the Diva cup and the cloth pads (b/c i am a very heavy bleeder). I used to wash them w/ the diapers only but realistically they can be washed with everything else too.

one of the amazing benefits for me was after i stopped using all teh disposable stuff, a majority of my cramping during menses went away. Not all of it but certainly more than 1/2 of it. I used to be in bed for at least 2 days each month (not easy taking care of 2 kids and working a ton of hours each week).

i think the heat wave here is going to break today. Thank G-d!!!
#93 of 108 Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM

I'd take 100 degree days if there wasn't any humidity.
It's been in the 90s here (FL) and the humidity is through the roof, and it's been raining almost every day, which makes it worse.
I thought I hated FL before, but I hate it even more as a pregnant lady.

I'm so hungry again, all the time. Dang baby just wants me to pack on the pounds (he really likes doughnuts, and pizza!)

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#94 of 108 Old 07-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Evil babies! Mine made me eat cheese danish this morning. He probably even knew it's like 500 calories. Kids...

I can't complain much about the weather. I think it's going to be 88 here today but with like, 0 humidity it's still bearable. We don't have any A/C at all so during the hottest part of the day I try to run any errands so I can sit in the cars A/C.
#95 of 108 Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Changed, that reminds me of when I was a kid, we didn't have AC at all either. My Mom wouldn't get the central air fixed and we would just sit and suffer! The closest mall was about a 30 minute walk, so my best friend and I would walk to the mall almost every day and spend the ENTIRE day there in the AC before heading home at night when it closed! Ah, memories.

I have another appointment today with my midwives, I'm doing the glucose screen today. I'm sure I'll pass it, but it's on my mind. Wish me luck.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#96 of 108 Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 PM

My baby loves Taco Bell! So weird! I've been to Taco Bell more often in the last few months than I probably have in the last ten years - no exaggeration!

I'm going to D.C. tomorrow morning - vacation at last! Just in time, too, because I've been feeling a bit blue lately and I am really looking forward to a break and a change in scenery. Nonetheless, I have lots to be happy about: I hired a highly recommended doula yesterday (I feel really good about her), I'm going on vacation, I'm making progress finding a new OB, things are going pretty well.

Anyway I wish you all the best, and I'm enjoying reading all your posts! The weekend is approaching - I hope everyone has a great one!
#97 of 108 Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 PM

Whew! It's been a busy week for me, I've just barely started catching up on all the posts. Had a nice 3-day weekend with DH and DS, which meant having friends over to go swimming and then grill up some burgers. It was a very nice time, DS calls their oldest DD his 'girlfriend' and says they're getting married next week. She's a little young - only two! It's really cute though, he's very sweet to her.

MW appointment was on Tuesday and I'm up to 16 pounds gained. I guess I'm okay with that, it's at a rate of about a pound per week at this point. I'm still having a hard time eating after about 3PM, so I guess that's why I'm not gaining at the rate I was with DS. That, and Ben & Jerry's doesn't hold *quite* the same appeal it did as when I was pg with DS. I gained almost 60 pounds with him, so I'm really hoping to avoid THAT much this time around. Baby girl is very, VERY low, hanging out in the lower quarter of my uterus. If she stays this low the MWs want to keep an eye on my cervix to make sure I don't start dialating too early like I did with DS. Considering on of her favorite places to kick is in the vicinity of the cervix, that just might be a good idea.

I feel like I have SO much to do to get ready for baby girl's arrival. It's almost overwhelming. I really should just sit down and make lists of everything - it seems to help me at least prioritize - but even list-making feels daunting. I need to just suck it up and do it. There, that's my very own pep talk.

I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday. I'm ready for another weekend.
#98 of 108 Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
^ I'm having the 1 hr test on Thursday, but my mw does it with OJ. I'm not too worried about it, but it's in the back of my mind. Good luck with your test! The 3 hour one does sound absolutely miserable.
The 3 hour is miserable. I hope your 1 hour went well so you don't have to do the 3 hour. It was terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82;11637222
[B
Amy[/B], I hope all goes well with yours! Why are they doing the 3 hour one first instead of just the 1 hour one? I didn't think they did the 3 hour unless the 1 hour was abnormal.

I had GD with my son so they tested me early. 16 weeks I think it was. I failed the 1 hour (barely) and passed the 3 hour then. Because I'm "at risk" I had to redo the 3 hour at 28 weeks. I'll get the results tomorrow and I'm soooo hoping I don't need to deal with checking my BS levels 4x a day and counting carbs again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
Well I had the u/s today. I will scan the pictures on here later and we are having boy #2! It was a total surprise for me!!!

The tech said that from measurments etc. my due date is September 30th, which I am contemplating taking just because of my history of preterm labor, so if I go a week early, I can still have my homebirth. And if I go late I will just lovingly remind my MW that I know when I ovulated
Congrats on a healthy baby boy!

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#99 of 108 Old 07-11-2008, 12:32 AM

LoL oh yeah, last night I had the most awesome dream about my waterbirth. Except it was just me and I was in a GIANT pool. It was so peaceful and calming

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#100 of 108 Old 07-11-2008, 10:56 AM

So, probably TMI, but I had the worst episode last night in the bathroom. I woke up around 2:30 with an aching belly, and spent an hour --YES, AN HOUR -- on the toilet. It was hell. It felt like a stomach bug or like I was going to die. Ugh, terrible.

The good news about that is I weighed myself when I got up again at 7:45, and I'm 4.5 lbs lighter than I was yesterday! So if I can maintain this weight for the rest of the month, maybe a little longer, I'll be right on track with my weight gain. Yesterday at my appointment, Lousie (mw) wasn't "concerned", so to speak, about my 12 lb gain in 1 month, but she did say I needed to just be very aware of everything I was eating and get a little more exercise. She did joke and say that I was "way too painfully skinny" before I got pg and a little extra weight wouldn't hurt, lol! She's such a good person, I really and truly love the care these midwives provide.

Oh and my fetal fibronectin swab came back negative, so good news there. And she drew my blood for the glucose screen and to check iron levels. Hopefully all is well on that front as well.

Anyway, it's FRIDAY!

I am SO ready for the weekend! Anybody have any fun plans?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#101 of 108 Old 07-11-2008, 04:06 PM

wow Carrie..thats a lot of weight loss in one day. i hope you are feeling better.

i just got back from my hypnobirthing class and MW appt (right after the class..the MW does the HB classes).

im a bit relieved b/c i have been considering whether having a doula attend my HB was financially feasible. w/ having to pay out of pocket now for the chiro every week (long story re: insurance issues...a**hats) and all the MW fees, plus the tub rental, i am just thinking that its about $500-700 i could shave off the cost of the homebirth. We are in the middle of major kitchen renovations, etc. etc. etc. PLUS my doula is pretty far away....so i am struggling with myself about whether to hire one or not....my MW told me she has an apprentice MW who come come NO CHARGE. I am so happy! As a SAHM at this point, i feel borderline guilty at the expense of the birth (just b/c the chiro is about to start at 2x a week and thats $100 a week out of our pockets, etc. etc. etc.).

believe me, i wouldnt skimp if it was the only alternative, but i love that my MW can bring an apprentice to act as a doula. its a perfect solution for me.

dp was a bit surpised that i was in the appt/class for 3.5 hours....but it was so nice to watch birth videos, talk to like minded ppl, etc. etc.

I am loving my MW and so grateful that she doesnt treat me like a dinosaur. I am super excited about the birth this time, which hasnt happened w/ any of the other births. my 2 c/'s were well....medical. my VBAC i was scared to death (b/c of all the fear everyone else projected on me). This birth, finally, i feel like im getting it right. and that feels awesome!
#102 of 108 Old 07-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Sounds like it's all working out. I can really relate to your feelings about the birth and all that. I still haven't been to the chiro but I haven't had much discomfort either. I can't afford to go just for grins so I'm waiting until there's a pressing reason.

Carrie- make sure you really drink a lot of water today. Those fun potty episodes can leave you dehydrated really quickly. Feel better!
#103 of 108 Old 07-11-2008, 07:16 PM

Passion- if I could have the apprentice mw come at no charge I would do that. I 'm actually going to ask my mw if she has anyone like that. I know her pretty well and I don't think she does but you never know.
#104 of 108 Old 07-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Yeah, my MW has an apprentice/labor assistant, but that is costing us $650 out of pocket. We are trying to get some kind of funds together now, but it is hard since we are already in the hole quite a bit of money... Small price to pay for a wonderful birth though!

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#105 of 108 Old 07-11-2008, 10:16 PM

My midwives always bring an apprentice, so there are 3 of them there. They can do all the doula like stuff, but I'm hiring my back up doula to be there as well b/c they've all done births together before and really worked well as a 4 person team. It also frees my midwives up for medical stuff. Honestly, I see a lot of my labor being all 4 of them in some other room and just me and Dh together, but for when I need them I'll be glad they're all there.

Just got back from my 25 week appointment and I love my midwife! : My primary midwife is in Africa right now, so it was just her secondary and me b/c Dh also couldn't make it due to work. Still found stuff to chat about for 2 hours though (gotta love those midwifery appointments)! Measuring right on at 25 cm and heard the hb on the pinard horn even (my midwife didn't think baby was big enough for that yet). 138 bpm! We talked at length about my anemia stuff which is still ambiguous, but we've got a plan that we're both happy with and will draw blood again at my next appt to make sure the #s are up.

Happy weekend everyone!!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#106 of 108 Old 07-11-2008, 11:52 PM

Its great that you and your MWs are so connected! And that your iron (or B12 was it) is getting better Amber_Lion

#107 of 108 Old 07-12-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Passion- if I could have the apprentice mw come at no charge I would do that. I 'm actually going to ask my mw if she has anyone like that. I know her pretty well and I don't think she does but you never know.
yeh, i really never thought to ask. i was completely surprised. i visit my MW in her home and thus far have never met her partner or anyone else she works with. its so...homey!

i actually allowed my MW to prick my finger today to check my iron. i think she probably about fainted (b/c i dont like using any tests or anything! lol!).

i was just curious b/c i was borderline anemic w/ the last 3 kiddos so i fully expected it to be the same..and its NOT! i can only attribute it to the tea that ive been drinking.
#108 of 108 Old 07-12-2008, 12:38 AM

My mw ended up calling me today so I asked her if she had anyone who was wanting to help assist her at births b/c I was entertaining the idea of having someone there to take pics.

The last birth I had with her I asked for her asst. to not be there so she probably thought I didn't want anyone this time.

She uses another LM mw for her asst. when she needs one but she has to pay her so she probably wouldn't use her at my birth b/c I don't feel that she would think she would need to....she might call her during if needed but it wouldn't be anything planned.

So anyways, she said she did have a lady who would love to attend some births and I told her I'd of course want to meet her. I just want someone to take some good pics of labor/birth/immediate pp. My DS was at my last birth and I think she was too caught up in the moment to know when to take pics so I really didn't get very many good shots.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page