Weekly Chit-Chat 7/6 - 7/12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2008, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guess who's up early on Sunday? Thought I'd kick this off, apologies if I've stepped on toes or not followed a process that has already been established.

I just wanted to ask, in general, who else is ITCHY!!!!!! I'm so itchy. Everywhere, and I don't think it is Pupps or anything like that...just itchy. It is making me insane! On my abdomen/breasts/bum I know it is streching skin (no stretch marks this pregnancy...yet....but they are only around the corner to tell from the itching..)

But tell me, why oh why is the nape of my neck itchy?

In other news....I am officially counting myself into the third trimester!!! I can't believe it....We've done nothing ot prepare the house (phyiscally) for Lilith's arrival....I'm starting to think we need to? Though, we won't be doing a nursery or anything like that, and our house is already kid oriented because of Nell....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 12:52 PM

Time for a new thread already? This week flew by.

Add me to the itchy bunch, too! I've always gotten super itchy in pg, particularly on the belly, my head, and neck. When it really bad I have to jump in the shower or it'll drive me nuts!

Crazy that the 3rd trimester is here- or right around the corner- for us October mamas!?! Where did the time go?? I can hardly believe there's only THREE MORE MONTHS until I get to meet this babe...and I have sooo much to do between now and then.

Well, AAM, I'm coming down off a major sugar (albeit unrefined, unbleached, and organic sugar) high yesterday for dd's birthday. She had such a good time with her friends and has really got the birthday thing down good. She woke up this am saying..."it's my birthday, I'm 2!" Only 3 more birthday parties to plan before this babe's birth day in October! I'm tired just thinking about making all those cakes! Here's dd and I yesterday (I'm wearing my birth bead necklace that I had from my ddc with her) and one of her and her cake.

Have a great week!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Yep - officially 27 weeks today! 3rd trimester came in with a bang, I've had endless pains in my abdomen since Friday. RL pains, contractions, back pain, you name it I've got it. Stinks.

I'm feeling like these next few weeks are going to drag. I'm reading more and more about labor now, and I just can't WAIT to meet this baby. I feel like I still have so much longer to go!

Going to finish painting the nursery this week, and hopefully get the crown molding up. The in-laws offered to pay for the furniture (yay) so we might order/buy that soon so that we can set it up and have the nursery start to look complete. 1/2 my nb stash of diapers has arrived, and once the other 1/2 comes I will take a picture to show you guys! It's so cute, everything is so tiny! I'm also starting to look around for a nice dress for my shower. I want to look fabulous, lol!

Other than that, just going to have a normal work week. Only 11 more full weeks till my maternity leave! Yay!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Wow Carrie you are working until 38 weeks? Im already uncomfortable now as it is

And I am one of the itchy bunch. I am constantly slathering myself in lotion, thinking that this will make the itch go away (and it helps, but not eliminates

I have pictures today for DSs 1st birthday (tomorrow) And we will all be in blue. I really don't know how that came about Anyway, his outfit consists of all 6 month size clothing. He is such a tiny little peanut.

Tomorrow is my u/s. All my friends and DH and ILs are super excited about it. I guess it will be more... convienient I guess I could say... to know the gender.

Hmmm, what else. Not much right now. I am "basically" in my 3rd tri with the rest of you mama's! My official day is Tuesday, though I count my pg from Monday, just to be more convenient for me

This babe is SUPER high now. I can see the funny looking alien-esque movements from the outside but I am really feeling the rib kicks bad right now... Ahhh, gotta love em.

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:14 PM

subbing-

Not much new here. We're heading to Denver today to pick DD up from the airport. It's been a long summer without her here and I'm so excited to see her.

We went to a ball game last night and DS fell and got his first black eye. Though, after internal and external arnica it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Yay arnica!

I woke up with the cold he's had all week. My tonsils and throat hurt so badly. Lots of OJ and supplements...hoping it leave quickly.

Have a wonderful week!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Good morning, ladies! Thanks for the new thread, casemnor - I don't think there's a system!

Happy Third Trimester, gals!! :

BDD, looks like you had a great time - that's a great way to continue using your birth necklace!

Carrie, you poor thing - have you told your mw about all this pain? I'm getting worried about you! I hope you can take it easy and let someone else work on the nursery.

Triple, have fun tomorrow! I hope you have a good u/s experience & a happy bday for your boy!

AAM, oh let's see.... I'm going to celebrate a FULL NIGHT SLEEP last night. Oh glory be, I hadn't slept more than 4 hours in the same number of days. What a relief.

Beyond that... it's strange, I never did my 27-week blog post, though I've been so excited about entering the 3rd tri. I had an ultrasound on Thursday, and got choked up seeing the boys faces... it's so hard to imagine them as real babies, rather than just these squirming bodies, you know? But there was this moment when I saw Baby A so clearly... wow, it was magical.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

RE: aches and pains...like my OB said, the GREAT news is all the pelic pain/pressure discomfort I'm feeling is normal....so I'll be pregnant for a while yet (which is GREAT news for Lilith)...

the bad news? I'll be pregnant for a while yet!

Just kidding (mostly)....I'm trying to remember to stay in the now and enjoy this time....despite the pains ....it is such a special time.

Great pics of the birthday girl BDD!
Old 07-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Ashley - Your daughter is sooo adorable!! You look great Mama and that is one awesome cake!!!

As for the itching...well unfortunatly the only place i'm itching these days is my Labia....sorry if that is TMI....I don't know why but i get such an itchy va jay jay during my pregnancies and it drives me banana's!!! Other then that no itchies yet, I was very itchy with the boys but I think it was the winter skin.

Maryann that is funny about your little guys clothes...my younger son is tiny too...he is 27 months and I just bought him a bathing suit that is 6-12 months and it fits fine...he is mostly still in 12-18 months stuff....and weighs in at a whopping 23lbs...makes carrying him while pregnant easy though.

changed-I hope your cold goes away soon...sucks having a summer cold.

carrie you need to take it easy...the last thing you want is pre term labour...make sure you are drinking lots and lots and resting as much as possible!!!

Celeste Sounds like a beautiful u/s

two more weeks till I get to my third trimester...which suits me fine...since we will be camping from the 8th till the 17th and I don't want to turn that corner from feeling great while in the 2nd to feeling like crap while in the 3rd...lol
Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
Wow Carrie you are working until 38 weeks? Im already uncomfortable now as it is
Well, I'm going to try. I do have a desk job so it's not hard work, but the stress is definitely getting to me already. I'm also very uncomfortable already. I'm going to try to make it to 38 weeks, but if I duck out 2 weeks earlier than that, I'm not going to be upset. I can use vacation time and tack that onto the end of my mat leave if I feel I need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
I woke up with the cold he's had all week. My tonsils and throat hurt so badly. Lots of OJ and supplements...hoping it leave quickly.
Oh no, feel better! My allergies have been awful and I'm either snarf-ly or on Benadryl and sleepy. Stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celesterra View Post
Carrie, you poor thing - have you told your mw about all this pain? I'm getting worried about you! I hope you can take it easy and let someone else work on the nursery.
I haven't called yet, but I'm thinking about calling on Monday. See, the thing with my midwives is they aren't "open" any days except Tues and Thurs. When you call on any other day, you either leave a message or, if it's an emergency, call a service to have them paged. It's just one of those things that feels like such a hassle - and thinking about what I'd say on the voicemail is just annoying so I haven't done it.

And I finished painting all by myself. I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the day, and am drinking puh-lenty and making sure I'm eating good too. I know I'm kind of pushing myself and I don't want to deal with PTL, so I know I need to take it easier.

Quote:
... it's so hard to imagine them as real babies, rather than just these squirming bodies, you know? But there was this moment when I saw Baby A so clearly... wow, it was magical.
I feel the same way. It's so hard to believe they're real babies we're growing, instead of little things that squirm and kick! It's surreal in so many ways!

AAM - So I have exciting news to report! I checked my registry and so many things have been bought! The carseat, the stroller, the baby bouncer swing, the bedding, one valance, the bather, and a few other things! OMG my shower is coming! OMG OMG I'm having a baby soon!!!

I also wonder if it's a few people who have bought these big items, or if my MIL is showing my Mom up for leaving her out of the shower planning. Either way, it's fine with me! Let her show her how it's done, lol!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Carrie, I struggle over calling my mw's too, and they're available 24/7! But my friend reminded me this week of the huge chunk of cash I'm giving them, and that they are my team. It made me feel a little better about calling. When you leave your voicemail, all you have to say is you've been having pain and contractions, and they will surely call you back. They'd rather have you call than not, I'm sure.

So your shower is a surprise, huh? Sounds exciting and like you guys are going to be very well taken care of! :

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 PM

I'm only itchy b/c of mosquito bites, they got me good this past week! :

Ashley - your DD is gorgeous!!! How cute!!

Carrie - it's so much fun seeing all the stuff accumulating, isn't it? Kind of makes it real that you're going to have a baby USING that stuff. We've had the carseat and the stroller sitting in a corner for a while now and I want to have our baby here to use them so bad!

Don't feel bad about leaving messages for your midwives, unless you're rather phone-phobic like I am. That's what they are there for and I'm sure they'd rather you call and be able to reassure you it's all fine than not have you call. You never know, they may have some fantastic advice to make you more comfortable!

Hope you feel better soon, Changed!!

celesterra
, I actually slept last night too! It was sooo nice! And that's so sweet you got to see your LO's face... awww.

Have fun camping myrmom! I LOVE camping, but the idea of getting in and out of our tent right now sounds daunting. (Our tent is small and low to the ground)

AAM:
I FINALLY got my financial aid award letter for next year!!! Looks like I'll have ALL of my classes and books paid for and the opportunity to work for an extra $1000 a quarter through workstudy. SO.... I get to quit my job and not go back!!! YEAH!!!! : All I needed was an extra $500 a quarter to cover my car payment (as per the deal with Dh) so an extra $500 on top of that will be sweet! And workstudy is such an easy, low stress, low time kind of "job". I'm going to make an appointment with the financial aid office this week to finalize everything, then I'll be putting in my 2 month notice with my job... I'm going to stop working Sept. first! So that's what... 8 weeks or so till I'm done? :

Then, I'll start school (hopefully a lot of online classes) and workstudy in January, so a little early for the babe (2 months old), but if I can do all my classes online I'll only need to go in for the workstudy and to take tests. No big deal! Then return to onsite in the Spring quarter when the babe is closer to 5/6 months old. I'm SO relieved to know the plan and to have it be something that I'm happy about!!! I really didn't want to have to go back to work right away.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 07-06-2008, 07:06 PM

That's really fantastic news, Amber Lion!! :

Old 07-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Yep - officially 27 weeks today! 3rd trimester

Other than that, just going to have a normal work week. Only 11 more full weeks till my maternity leave! Yay!
If you have another pregnancy after this one I sure hope it's a little easier than this one has been on you. Hoping your patience continues and increases....

Quote:
Carrie, I struggle over calling my mw's too, and they're available 24/7! But my friend reminded me this week of the huge chunk of cash I'm giving them, and that they are my team. It made me feel a little better about calling. When you leave your voicemail, all you have to say is you've been having pain and contractions, and they will surely call you back. They'd rather have you call than not, I'm sure.
I agree with everyone else...don't hesitate to call your mw's. The way you are feeling is a totally valid reason to call and ask for suggestions, reasons as to why it might happen, etc. I'm sure they will be happy to help...it's not like you are calling at midnight or anything b/c your back hurts.

After reading the start of this thread I feel so empty without having anything ready like the rest of you.
I did notice that this is the first baby for some of you who are so wonderfully preparing...maybe that's why I'm behind - I just don't need much and I'm taking care of my other two. This baby won't even have its own room.

Ah well, I did just realize I was going to have to spend way more money on a booster for my dd when this baby does come but that's okay...

Happy week to everyone!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Amber Lion - that's AWESOME news! Congrats on all the financial aid and for having a plan!

janasmama - Thanks for your kind words. I do feel like I've been having a rough few weeks. Overall though, I'm still upbeat and happy, and enjoying this pregnancy.

I've decided to take off the rest of the afternoon and sit with my feet up, watch Harry Potter on ABC Family, and drink lots of water. That should really help calm my anxieties. We ran out to Lowes and to do some food shopping (about an hour trip overall) and I counted 4 contrax that were noticeable and annoying. I've been reading and most advice is that if you are having more than 4 an hour to call your midwife. So, I'm pretty certain I will call either tonight or tomorrow to clue them in as to what is going on.

You're right, I'm paying them a lot of money. I should feel free to call them when I'm worried about something.

Oh - and I did want to say - my shower is a surprise for right now. My sister is going to tell me when and where once she sends out the invitations. But to see that people are buying things is just really incredibly exciting!

Check out these birth announcements - TinyPrints

I found the perfect one on that website!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Count me in with the itchy bunch!!!!! Mine's everywhere for apparently no reason. I figure it's hormones.

I had a lot of pelvic pressure with DS all thr way through my pg, but not this time!!! This baby floats!

I'm 26 weeks today! Yay!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 07-06-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Check out these birth announcements - TinyPrints

I found the perfect one on that website!
Tiny Prints announcements are so cute. If you buy them, use the link on this page and I will get credit for the sale.

I debate buying announcements this time because I didn't do it with my other two but this will be my last baby and I just think they are so cute.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:47 PM

That is great news Amber Lion!!!!

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:20 PM

no process OP!

im heading into the 28th week. nothing much happening at all, other than the aches and pains that the chiro. deals with once a week. swimming alot and that has helped.

im not doing a nursery but i am finally able to start on the boys' bedroom (2.5 yo and baby will share for their clothes and stuff but still cosleep).
Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 PM

Thank you for all the get well wishes!

I'm still feeling pretty rotten but having the whole family together has made for a wonderful day. Poor DD though, cried through the whole flight because she already misses her grandma so much. She's really sad and really glad to be home at the same time. It's a lot for an 8 year old.

Amber- congrats! That's just awesome!

Carrie- I'm thinking of you. And so excited about your shower for you.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Hearing about baby showers and some of the stuff you first time moms are doing is making me get all sentimental about my first pregnancy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this one too....it's just that first pregnancies are just so different b/c it's something we've never done before. You get showered with more attention and love (most of the time.) When you get to your third people are like, "Ah, you've done this before...no big deal. So when are you going to stop?" : I mentioned to someone else that sometimes I'm so busy with my kids that I forget i'm pregnant until my dd bumps her head into my belly.

So, you first time mom's....really enjoy this and everything that comes with it (even if it's painful sometimes ) b/c it'll be the only experience you ever have like it. Much love to you all and enjoy your baby showers! :
Old 07-06-2008, 11:07 PM

I'm getting itchy!!! My bewbies and right around my navel! It's not unbearable and doesn't require any special lotion but it's definitely annoying.

We've been busy this weekend. We're buying small pieces of furniture (shelving, cabinets, fish tank stand, etc) to rearrange our house so it looks more put-together and less cluttered. It's also helping organize things we had to take out of the nursery. It's all a work in progress but I'll feel so good when it's done! I HATE clutter and no matter how clean or organized our house is, it always feels cluttered so we're fixing that.

My next prenatal is this Friday. Shouldn't be anything exciting...just the normal weight, BP, fundal height, heartbeat. Bradley class #2 tomorrow night. All these little things we go to feel like extra date nights for DH and me....love that. He's home more now (like 6:30pm instead of 8 or 9pm) than before we were pg and I really enjoy that too. We actually went to dinner with my Mom and sibs last night and then we went to a movie, just the two of us. We saw Wall-E...it was super cute. I recommend.

Have a wonderful end to your weekend and start to your week ladies!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
After reading the start of this thread I feel so empty without having anything ready like the rest of you.
I did notice that this is the first baby for some of you who are so wonderfully preparing...maybe that's why I'm behind - I just don't need much and I'm taking care of my other two. This baby won't even have its own room.
Heh. I have NOTHING ready. I have my prefolds already, and some onesies and sleepers from Salvation Army, but nothing's been washed. And this is my first. On the plus side, I'm going shopping with my two best friends next Friday for baby stuff! So excited. I won't be having an actual shower ('cause I don't want one and I don't have a lot of friends to come to one anyway), so we'll just get everything ourselves. Really looking forward to it.

The itchies. Oh sweet heaven above, the itchies. I have had BAD itchies on my legs and arms since day 1, I kid you not. And since I have a skin disease that makes me extra sensitive, this means I have literally scratched my skin raw in multiple places on multiple occasions. (New scars! Oh joy! ) I've tried using different lotions, not using lotions, using different soaps, not using soap, keeping my skin extra dry, keeping it extra moist, etc. etc. etc. Nothing helps except scratching! My next experiment is using spray anti-perspirant on my arms and legs, to see if that helps. Doubt it though, since I don't sweat very much, even for living in Texas. I just pray that I go back to my typical only slightly dryer than average skin once this pregnancy is over. I can deal with this for three more months, but I can't for the rest of my life. (Dang, I sound awful melodramatic! )

Amber, that's excellent news about school and your job! So great.

Carrie, hope your afternoon of rest made you feel much better.

26 1/2 weeks here, and even though the alien within moves plenty, I still can't determine what body part is what. The midwife was able to determine that the critter was head down at my last appointment though. I'm hoping it stays that way.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 PM

I'm not itchy at all...my skin still has room to stretch

But, I do get funny little twitchy movements from the baby. It's hard to describe them but it's when your eyebrow twitches and doesn't stop for a minute. That's what these are like...is anyone else getting those?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:06 AM

^ I'm pretty sure those are hiccups!

Ok, I really don't want to be overreacting, so are these BH contrax happening with anyone else? Are anyone else's regular? Not painful but uncomfortable? B/c I'm googling and most of what I see is that they're normal, should go away with rest, and that if you have more than 4-6 per hour you should call you care provider. That's all good and fine. But is this happening to anyone else?

Babe is moving around great but these contrax are still 10 min apart and have been for an hour (the hour that I've been resting and timing them). They only last about 30 seconds.

Just so strange. I can't be the only one, right?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 AM

^Everything I've read says that unless they get to be at least 3-4 min apart and 60-70 sec long, then it's probably just BH or "false labor". I sure hope you get to feeling better and your uterus is just practicing for the real thing in 3 months, not now! Maybe you'll just have a really strong uterus and you're labor will be simpler because of it.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 AM

Carrie, in the end, it doesn't matter if they're happening to others... it matters that it's happening to you, and has been for days now! Please call your mw!

I'm having BH, too, but they're not regular now. When they were, it totally freaked me out. In fact, I'm having an uncomfortable night, too, but it's mostly because my belly is growing so fast, the muscles are really tender... oh, and Baby B is pushing up against my diaphragm, and it's extremely uncomfortable.

Please call your mw, sweetie! You'll get better reassurances from her/them than we can give you. I hope I'm not being a jerk, I'm just worried for you!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 AM

:

I do agree that you need to at the very least make your MW's aware that you're experiencing this. We can reassure you that it's normal but they're the ones caring for you and this is part of your experience...they need to know that.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:30 AM

I know you guys are right. Thanks for the dose of reality though, sometimes since I really have no one IRL to talk to about these things (as in someone who has been through this before) I don't want to cry wolf and worry/call them over something silly. But it's sillier to just sit here and worry.

I'm calling first thing in the morning, regardless if the contrax continue or not.

Thanks again ladies!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 AM

Carrie I just want to relay something that happened to me.

When I was pregnant with DS around 32 weeks I SWORE that the baby had "dropped" into place and was scared that I was feeling signs of preterm labor, such as back pain. Well, I didn't want to make a big deal about it especially when I mentioned my fears, my MIL and mom both said that I was just "overreacting" and that it was normal. Well, lo and behold less than 2 weeks later with a jumpstart to contractions from an outside source (DH came for the weekend and we DTD) I went into preterm labor. And as much as they tried to stop it, they couldn't, not with whatever shots they gave me (3 of them) and not with the horrible magnesium whatever IV they gave me.

I am not saying that this is what is actually happening to you, but call your MW, and know that what you are feeling inside is what matters! If you have ANY fleeting doubts, any at all, get checked out. I do not want to see anything bad happen to you OR your sweet little babe!!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:17 AM

Carrie - Are you drinking RRL tea? If so, this is what could be causing your BH. RRL tea causes the uterus to tone which is done so by BH.

You should still call your mw but I don't think you really have anything to worry about. They might to a VE to see if you have any dilation and if your cervix is unripe then you'll be good to go.

Every womans body is different so we can't really compare experiences but I had a lot of BH with my second and it really is a good thing to have all of them now if you end up going full term b/c I believe it will make your labor much shorter.

User Tag List