Accused of Faking the GTT!!! Laugh - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the last time I took the glucose tolerance test at my OB's nearly 3 years ago I was hypoglycemic (technically) when they pricked my finger. They actually asked me if I'd even drank the orange crap they gave me. I totally had. Exactly 45 minutes before arriving and they poked me about 58 minutes after finishing the drink. My blood glucose was 58.

This last OB appt, the doctor said she wanted me to come in an hour early and drink the sugary nasty in the office so they could get a "more accurate" reading this time: I told her I couldn't come in early because I have my prenatal exercise class prior to the appt and would like to drink it about 45 minutes before my appt like last time.

She actually said "Jenn. We both know you didn't drink the soda last time." I was shocked and then really pissed all at the same time. Mainly because I REALLY did drink the stuff. I then took an attitude with her and said "Well if you want me to do the test at all it will have to be the normal way. I'm not willing to prove myself to you and miss my class." The OB shrugged her shoulders and said "I guess I'll take what I can get then."

How f'd up is that?

Trying not to let it bother me, but it totally does. Lame
#2 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM

I just saw your thread and clicked on it, not in your DDC- although I'd like to be!!

That's ridiculous!!!! I'd totally switch OB's.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#3 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 PM

That's just soooo rude! I can't imagine how i'd feel about a Dr. that called me a liar!.
#4 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Yikes! Definately some trust issues. I'd have a huge issue with the paternalistic way in which your physician spoke to you. Trust is so important in this relationship. Birth is no time to get into it. I'd start looking at my options. Hugs.
#5 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 PM

Oh no! Ha, I'd be so pissed but at the same time totally laughing b/c how FUNNY is it that you actually did drink the stuff and she doesn't believe you? OMG, I don't know what I would do!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM

It would probably be a good idea to find another care provider. I mean, if she thinks you're lying when you aren't, that seems to be a sign that she is probably not the most honest individual. I've had a LOT of experience in this area in the last 18 months, or so, and it's just not worth dealing with!

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

#7 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 01:40 PM

((hugs)) I'm sorry she's being such a brat about it...... ya know some of us truly ARE hypoglycemic...... if I were to take that junk I'd probably lose consciousness cause my sugar would drop so low!!!!!!

Thankfully I've been able to avoid the tests..... but ugh...

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#8 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Oh my goodness! I'd be livid! Mine was super low with my ds, not as low as yours, but my ob never said a thing about thinking I'd 'faked' it! How completely unprofessional!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#9 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM

I probably would have been rendered speechless then start cursong! That is absolutely uncalled for!

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#10 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 02:47 PM

I would be PO'd too! I would probably switch dr.s....but then again I am just that way LOL. Kind of like when they HAD to give me a urine test at 21 weeks to make SURE I was pregnant LOL.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#11 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 PM

I hear a lot of terrible things that OB's do, but that is beyond. How dare they accuse you of lying? That is unbelievable.
#12 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM

That's awful! I'd be finding a new ob immediately!
#13 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 PM

That is just messed up. :
#14 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemum View Post
Yikes! Definately some trust issues. I'd have a huge issue with the paternalistic way in which your physician spoke to you. Trust is so important in this relationship. Birth is no time to get into it. I'd start looking at my options. Hugs.
:

If she thinks you're lying about something as (IMO) silly as the GTT, how will she act when you call in labour? "We both know you're not REALLY in labour. You were able to dial the phone". Definitely a red flag.
#15 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 04:37 PM

Wow, unbelievable the nerve!!!
#16 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 PM

That's crazy. I'd be looking for new care if it were me. That makes me very uncomfortable to think about my OB being so untrusting of me!
#17 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 05:51 PM

Yeah hormonal me would be out in a jiffy!

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#18 of 26 Old 07-21-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
That's just soooo rude! I can't imagine how i'd feel about a Dr. that called me a liar!.

No kidding! Who exactly is the pt. here anyway? I'd be totally pissed...especially working in the health care field its a comment that's way off base.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#19 of 26 Old 07-22-2008, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your awesome comments.

I'm kinda at a loss as to what (if anything) I should do. Finding a care provider in my 3rd tri isn't exactly appealing to me, but I never thought she would pull this kind of crap. Funny thing is I've never really liked any of the OBs I've worked with because of their "holier than thou" attitude anyway and am only using one because of my mildly complicated medical history. I'll see how the appt goes next Thursday and then make my final decision.
#20 of 26 Old 07-22-2008, 03:31 AM

I guess I'm going to take your Doctor's side, but she should have been a little more tactful in the way she made here comments.

Specifically not calling you a liar.

Being that your numbers were, low she was trying to limit a possible cause ( by having a patient skip the drink).

She could have said something to the effect that in order to get numbers that low you either have to be hypoglycemic, or forgotten to take the the drink and I would prefer you take the drink in to office on the next test to give me piece of mind.

or something like that.

I could also see how you not wanting to have the drink in her office this time becuase of your schedule, might make her think your making excuess so you can "cheat" the test again.

JMO, no harm meant.
#21 of 26 Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 AM

I guess I've been incredibly lucky with my OB? I love her. She's personable, funny and completely professional.

Now, my experience with pediatricians for my daughter (which we rarely need/see) is different...I will tel you...I won't tolerate poor care...whether I sniff incompetence or I'm dealing with poor bedside manner.

My grandfather was a good old fashioned GP, so I'm pro the medical establishement...because I know how dedicated he was to his art and what a fabulous doctor he was. He practiced until he was over 90, and almost got his wish...to die in the middle of rounds. It makes me sad when people write off medical professionals wholescale as uncaring, money grubbing, or superior. He was none of these and in general, all doctors I've ever been involved with are truly there to serve. They sacrifice so many other things to do what they do.

It takes a special person to follow the calling, but unforutnately it won't guarantee that jerks don't get through.

I'd have an honest heart to heart with her, remember..she's a human being too and maybe had a bad day and didn't use the tact she really should have. Explain your hurt feelings and that it impacts your ability to work well with her, see if you guys can come to a good resolution emotionally for you. Ultimately, you have to believe she means only the best for you and baby, and apparently is puzzled at your low blood sugar readings and is trying to find an answer. I don't justify her approach at all (it would have made my blood boil), but give her a chance to redeem herself. If you still feel you are unable to have a good working relationship with her, then it's time to investigate finding another provider.
#22 of 26 Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM

i know it sounds stressful to change in your 3d trimester but i didnt it with ds3 and it was the best thing i ever did.

she accused you of lying. there is no good reason to do that unless she believes you are lying. is she going to believe you when you say your water broke at 10am? or 12? or 2pm?

there is just NO excuse for behaving that way. none whatsoever.

omg im livid for you.
#23 of 26 Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRC View Post
I guess I'm going to take your Doctor's side, but she should have been a little more tactful in the way she made here comments.

Specifically not calling you a liar.

Being that your numbers were, low she was trying to limit a possible cause ( by having a patient skip the drink).

She could have said something to the effect that in order to get numbers that low you either have to be hypoglycemic, or forgotten to take the the drink and I would prefer you take the drink in to office on the next test to give me piece of mind.

or something like that.

I could also see how you not wanting to have the drink in her office this time becuase of your schedule, might make her think your making excuess so you can "cheat" the test again.

JMO, no harm meant.
I can see why you "side" with my OB, but the point still remains that even if I did cheat or skip on the test it would still be my perogative. Autonomy is HUGE now in patient care. It would have bothered me much less if she asked me how I felt about the test. O

I actually don't care about the test and am not worried at all about passing it. I think it's a good way to screen for GD, and definitely would want to know if I was having a problem with my sugars being high. I've never had a blood glucose level reading higher than 97 and that was while taking massive amounts of corticosteroids. I simply don't run high and it's well documented in my medical history. The lowest number I've had is 38 and that was while in hospital after losing consciousness from renal failure. I also had a fasting blood glucose level drawn at 6 weeks that was 53.

My original thought on the 59 number was the tech hadn't smeared enough blood on the strip, but then I thought since I always run low it could possibly be accurate.

If I do transfer care at this point it will be to the certified nurse midwifery practice at a sister hospital where I would be birthing in my current situation. Problem is I work at that hospital and occasionally work on Family Birth. Birthing where I know the nurses and other staff isn't all that appealing to me quite honestly. If I do transfer care, though, it will be after the next appt.
#24 of 26 Old 07-23-2008, 01:51 AM

I really didn't mean to say I took the doctors side, but could see it from the doctors point of view.
#25 of 26 Old 07-23-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
If I do transfer care at this point it will be to the certified nurse midwifery practice at a sister hospital where I would be birthing in my current situation. Problem is I work at that hospital and occasionally work on Family Birth. Birthing where I know the nurses and other staff isn't all that appealing to me quite honestly. If I do transfer care, though, it will be after the next appt.
I'd go with this. Can you just not have nurses or other staff around at your request to be alone w/ your midwife while you labor? I have had a dr. accuse me of telling a lie before..it's not a good feeling and makes you feel horrible! If it were my OB...man..I'd be all done and move on.

That's just me. Do what you feel is right. Good luck, mama and
#26 of 26 Old 07-23-2008, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know any CNM that would do the job of an L&D and Postpartum nurse. At least none at my hospital. My husband and I talked tonight and we're going to meet with one of the CNMs and see what she thinks. It's also totally possbile I could get over my reluctance to birth/recover with nurses I know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page