How are we all coming along on our cloth diaper stashes? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 92 Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes--I think you can do it without a serger. You'd just turn and topstitch instead.

Anyone have any good tips on softening terry up a bit? I bought 13 XS Sandies used and the terry feels a little stiff. I haven't washed them at all yet though. Might be soap residue.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#62 of 92 Old 08-05-2008, 01:22 AM

I would strip them really well with dawn and add vinegar to the rinse. Goodmama site says you can use Ecover fabric softener occassionaly. Try that and see if it helps

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#63 of 92 Old 08-05-2008, 01:24 AM

I seem to be able to trun everything around iwth a few good HOT wahses and vinegar.

Well I do everything else by turning and top stitching, I can get a couple of diaper covers eeeked out, right?!
#64 of 92 Old 08-05-2008, 08:15 AM

Wow...my stash is NOTHING compared to some of yours! I have 8 bumGenius 3.0 (to make it easy on DH), two WAHM small contour dipes from eBay, and one PUL newborn cover. I also have TONS of microfiber inserts and flannel inserts. I just ordered the pattern from Darling Diapers (thanks for the recommendation!) and am currently printing it. I can't wait to get started on my own personalized stash! : I have also registered for many, many cloth diapers, covers, and accessories from Abby's Lane. I hope my family and friends actually LOOK at that registry!
#65 of 92 Old 08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
dis

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayleesan View Post
Yup yup, thanks! Can I do this without a serger??
Absolutely - one of the great things about the DD pattern is she includes detailed instructions for serging and for T&Ting. I don't have a serger, and most of my diapers are made with the DD patterns, and so I do almost entirely T&Ting. The exceptions are that I use fold over elastic to bind PUL covers, and I faux-serge things like snap-in and sewn-in soakers just because soakers are usually so many layers that if I tried to T&T my machine would probably self-destruct in protest.
#66 of 92 Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 PM

I got my sweater/ longie set today AND the 2 shirts I bought to match They are going to look SO nice on him:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...res/aug010.jpg

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#67 of 92 Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
I got my sweater/ longie set today AND the 2 shirts I bought to match They are going to look SO nice on him:
So sweet! I tiny Zutano stuff!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#68 of 92 Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Those are sooo cute!!!

I am sewing some newborn fitteds today from the fattycakes pattern.
#69 of 92 Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Oh I so HEART Zutano!
#70 of 92 Old 08-17-2008, 04:52 PM

I'm up to about 14 NB diapers (pockets, fitteds, and prefolds), 3 covers, and 6 small diapers/3 small covers, and 6 OS AIOs. I'm working on wipes currently, nothing fancy, just flannel and terry. I found a great deal on some suedecloth today so I'm going to start using that for inners on my diapers. The girl at Joann's asked what I was making and I told her diapers-she said she hears that a lot! I was pleasantly surprised!
Anyway, I'm just happy to be about half done with my NB/small stash. A couple more weeks of sewing and I can move to more fun stuff!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#71 of 92 Old 08-17-2008, 10:52 PM

I don't have any smalls yet b/c my plan was to purchase smalls once I figured out what system we liked best. I just get real nervous b/c what if she comes out bigger than nb? I guess I'll cross that bridge if I come to it...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#72 of 92 Old 08-17-2008, 11:41 PM

I started making wipes (and family cloth) yesterday - OBV/flannel. The obv is so stretchy but I figured that if I iron my squares first, it works so much better. I wish I had a serger, T&T for wipes is more time consuming than I'd like. Maybe I can try a fake serging stitch and see what happens.

I want to buy the darling diapers pattern, but I have no fabric to use as inners/soakers right now, and that's just frustrating.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#73 of 92 Old 08-18-2008, 12:31 AM

i havent bought many nb diapers b/c my kids are always so big. i have 8 size 0 kissaluvs though. omg they are adorable...babe will prob. wear them for a week or so if that. lol!
#74 of 92 Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stephanie~ View Post
Those are sooo cute!!!

I am sewing some newborn fitteds today from the fattycakes pattern.

How did your nb fattycakes work out? I made a small FC fitted out of knit for the new baby and it fits my 25lb, 33in almost 2 year old, on the tightest setting! I'm thinking at this rate even then nb will be big! The free DD nb is a nice pattern, if you haven't tried it yet.

I'm so excited to say that I'm almost done with the baby's nb & sm stash. It's such a huge relief! I have a few more things to do, then moving on to mediums.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#75 of 92 Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
I started making wipes (and family cloth) yesterday - OBV/flannel. The obv is so stretchy but I figured that if I iron my squares first, it works so much better. I wish I had a serger, T&T for wipes is more time consuming than I'd like. Maybe I can try a fake serging stitch and see what happens.

I want to buy the darling diapers pattern, but I have no fabric to use as inners/soakers right now, and that's just frustrating.
When I first started CD'ing my mom faux serged a lot of wipes and burp cloths for me, they've held up great, almost 2 years later for some!

As for the no material for the soakers and such, what about recycled materials? I've been using t-shirt for soakers and some dipes. Great way to recycle and go through the huge pile of undershirts dh won't wear anymore because 'the necks are stretched out' (read: he's a freak, they so aren't!), and they work awesome!

#76 of 92 Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 AM

Wow! Those are so cute! I love the variety!

My nb/small stash is just about complete. I have a mixture of things that are some used and some new.

Prefolds (nb/infant)
-4 birdseye cotton unbleached pf
-3 flannel unbleached pf
-4 organic cotton Under The Nile pf
-2 hemp pf

Fitteds/Contours
-2 hemp pf with snaps on them to make fitteds
-7 colored Kissaluv 0 fitteds
-6 plain Kissaluv 0 fitteds
-6 small mama-made contours
-1 bamboo fitted

Covers
-9 Proraps size NB
-9 Proraps size Small
**I only really like the NB Prorap covers. If I didn't already own them, I would have Bummis**
-Assorted wool soakers, longies, shorties, and skorties
-2 pairs of fleece pants in size small

Once the babe's room is all painted and furniture replaced, I will take photos
#77 of 92 Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM

So I'm mostly done. Could use some more covers, and my PUL and FOE just came yesterday, so I'll be working on that, but NB and small are good to go!
I got lucky and got a ton of BG OS for very, very cheap (I think I have 13)
Anyway, here's some pics if you're interested (I'm not a great photographer)
Wetbags (I made the pirate one) and 3 small wool covers (I made grey and green)

NB sizes-I made the 3 fitteds on the bottom left, the rest are a mix of Kissaluvs, covers, prefolds and other brand fitteds

All my smalls (mix of FB, BB and some I made-the skulls and green skeletons on the right) and BG OS and a few covers

I made all the wipes myself, I still need to make more, but they're so boring to do! All double sided-terry on one side, flannel, knit or cotton on the other

Inserts and doublers-a mix of ones made by me or received with ones I bought. Still need more of these as I have SO many pockets

I planned on making most of mine myself-but I got such good deals on some I couldn't pass up. Most of the ones I bought either aren't cosmetically good, or needed elastic replaced, which is super easy.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
#78 of 92 Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 PM

love love love all the stash pics!!! Keep em coming
These are my newborn dipes....

pics

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#79 of 92 Old 09-19-2008, 08:18 PM

I need about 7 more. ANd more wipes. And some inserts. And Allen's detergent. And a whole bunch of stuff for a home birth and a supplement stash to last me while I'm off work. I hate being poor!

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#80 of 92 Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
How did your nb fattycakes work out? I made a small FC fitted out of knit for the new baby and it fits my 25lb, 33in almost 2 year old, on the tightest setting! I'm thinking at this rate even then nb will be big! The free DD nb is a nice pattern, if you haven't tried it yet.

I'm so excited to say that I'm almost done with the baby's nb & sm stash. It's such a huge relief! I have a few more things to do, then moving on to mediums.
The smalls that I made also fit my 25 lb 1 1/2 year old but that is on the end settings. My babies tend to plump up fast and then slim down once they hit the 1 year mark and really slow down on their nursing. My kids get into mediums within just a couple of months. Wyatt has been wearing mediums since about 2 months old and he is now 18 months.
#81 of 92 Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina~mom2be View Post
love love love all the stash pics!!! Keep em coming
These are my newborn dipes....

pics
Wow, so organized looking!

#82 of 92 Old 09-20-2008, 12:07 AM

I finally got off my duff and sorted through my diapers to get the smallest ones ready. No pics, but this is what I have to start the new baby with:

9 XS Sandies in Organic Bamboo
1 XS Sandies in Unbleached Cotton
2 NB Swaddlebees fitteds
8 infant prefolds
2 onesize Motherease unbleached cotton fitteds
2 Small Bummis Super Whisper Wraps
3 XS Motherease Airflow covers
1 woolwrap cover, formerly size medium but accidentally felted down to a small
3 Baby Kanga onesize pocket diapers

I do diaper laundry daily, so this will be plenty. I have tons of other stuff including some Wonderoos, flats, and other pockets and fitteds that will keep baby diapered for a long time or until it gets a lot bigger than DD ever was.
#83 of 92 Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 AM

snuggleups or snugglebottoms fitteds
6 DOZ newborn fitted birth-10lb (i have an ad in the trading post if you need any)
1 small fiited10-15
3 med fitted 15-25 lb
13 purple fitted (sm +? 7-14lbs?)

36 CPF green (infant)
12 CPF white (premium sized but not as thick) +4 iffy (may or may not get 2 doz more)
8 microfiber cloths +2 soakers-bought about 30 more today
38 cloth wipes

2 crappy homemade pockets sized M
2 Gerber covers small or med 13-18 lb
1 gerber newborn cover up to 12lbs
4 small white pul covers
4 newborn white pul covers (fabric for another cut and ready to go)
4 medium covers- PUL 3 girly- 1 needs repair
3 cot’n wrap small 10-15lbs

I have 3 KCK one pockets and fabric cut for 6 more, plus more fabric for about 30 in all.

Fabric for a wet bag- waiting to be sewn.
#84 of 92 Old 09-20-2008, 12:24 AM

I just received my 7 thirsties covers in small and large (large for DS) that I ordered from their HC outlet. Nothing is wrong with them, they were 8.25 each I think. Just discontinued colors and overstock (think there is a new style coming out??) - not seconds or anything. Just a heads up if anyone needs some!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#85 of 92 Old 09-20-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I just received my 7 thirsties covers in small and large (large for DS) that I ordered from their HC outlet. Nothing is wrong with them, they were 8.25 each I think. Just discontinued colors and overstock (think there is a new style coming out??) - not seconds or anything. Just a heads up if anyone needs some!
What's an HC outlet?? That's an excellent price!

ETA: Oh. Hyena Cart. Google is my friend. Why do I always ask stupid questions instead of just looking stuff up?!
#86 of 92 Old 09-20-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah I hit that up...lol! I just got them in the mail the other day!

Ok here's my dipes:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...nco/dipes2.jpg

My covers...as you can see in the background I forgot to add the thirsties covers...they sitting on the garbage can i just bought (still have stuff piled inside) for my diaper pail.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...inco/dipes.jpg

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#87 of 92 Old 09-21-2008, 12:18 AM

I have a great newborn stash: one dozen KL0s, about 3 newborn covers (with another handful coming to me from my sister this week), a dozen newborn prefolds, a Thirsties AIO and several Xsmall Fuzzibunz and Tiny Heiny's.

However, i realized a few days ago that I am broke right now and only have a dozen infant prefolds and 3 small covers. Oops. Too bad I'm too broke right now to buy any more. back to stalking Diaper Traders and Diaper Swappers!

ETA - Well, I'm not as bad off as I was thinking. I have a dozen or two one sizes from Tiny Tush on their way from the co-op here. They should get here before I need them. if not, I can always buy a few more and make do with the prefolds.

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#88 of 92 Old 09-21-2008, 12:41 AM

In newborn I have 4-5 fitteds, 3doz preemie prefolds & I think 5-6 covers.

In small I've got 2 fitteds so far (been lazy lately), about 4doz infant prefolds, 3 pockets, & about 10 or so covers & a couple of fleece soakers.

I want (though do not need) several more small fitteds and several more small pockets, if I can ever get off my behind and make them.

#89 of 92 Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM

I finally have everything washed and ready to go. I've got:

28 Kissaluvs size 0s
9 Kissaluvs doublers
3 Organic cotton Imse Vimse Covers
3 Organic cotton velour Imse Vimse Covers
2 Thirsties covers
1 GENY cover

. . . and two little Curly Purly wool soakers I knitted. I hope they'll work--I'm certainly a novice knitter, as you can see by the photos.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#90 of 92 Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
I finally have everything washed and ready to go. I've got:

28 Kissaluvs size 0s
9 Kissaluvs doublers
3 Organic cotton Imse Vimse Covers
3 Organic cotton velour Imse Vimse Covers
2 Thirsties covers
1 GENY cover

. . . and two little Curly Purly wool soakers I knitted. I hope they'll work--I'm certainly a novice knitter, as you can see by the photos.
gorgeous soakers!!! And your stash is very organized :

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page