Weekly Chat thread July 28-August 4th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woo 60 replies in the thread before I even manage to make it on here

To all the mamas having to work harder at keeping their LO's safe and warm and snug ... my thoughts and prayers are with you. I post on a UK DDC too and there was a post on there this week noting that we were the first DDC in 4 months not to have a pre 26 week birth (all the June-Sept preemies seem to be doing SOOO well - ). By my reckoning, we're managed that here too. So : for no early arrivals just yet.

AAM: 29+2 today and feeling all third trimestery! I'm finding Braxton Hicks a bit of a novelty, as I had none with DS (just 4 weeks of prodromal labour and very few with DD. I'm hoping it's all good stuff for a smooth labour. DH is a teacher and now has 6 weeks off work - which is blissful for me as we run a "lie in rota" . Since "Bobby" (as my ds and dd have affectionately christened the bump - after a dog in a song!) has a regular pattern of kicking my bladder at 5 am to ensure I waddle off to the loo, the chance to stay snug while dh fixes breakfast every other day is a Godsend.

We've just a had a lovely day at the beach and tomorrow ds and dd are off to spend the day with granddad and their cousin, while DH and I go car shopping. We need to replace our increasingly dodgy sounding one anyway and we can't fit three car seats in the one we have. Hopefully we'll find something we can afford to buy AND afford to run.

Birth related: I've finally managed to start my birth plan - one of the things that has been needling away at the back of my mind. It's not done yet, but I feel a bit more relaxed for having at least starting it.

Jill &heartbeat.gif the keepers of my heartheartbeat.gif : Dave, Ben (9/2002), Lucy (9/2004), (m/c 9/2007) Emma (born still on her due date and forever missed 10/2008) and Tobias (1/2010)grouphug.gif
#62 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 06:17 PM

Well, let me first just say that I.Hate.Ultrasound! I had two of them. Just today. I had one at advanced fetal care to see fluid amounts, blood flow, etc then one at pediatrics for a fetal echo.

We talked with the pediatric cardiologist. He explained everything to us much much better. And I will deliver at University then they will transfer babe to Children's in DC. That was pretty much it. We were at the hospital for over 5 hours and were seen for about 45 minutes total. Oh well, we got more questions answered.

Overall it was pretty good except for the u/s X2 because I felt like I was going to both pass out and throw up at the same time both times

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#63 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 06:47 PM

Oh Maryann, that just doesn't sound like much fun. I'm sorry it's been a rough day. But, I'm happy to hear you got some answers! That's definitely a step in the right direction!

I loved the chiro I went to today! She adjusts just like the one I worked for in college! I feel relief already. I can stand up and walk immediately w/o help from a stable surface which is huge. She diagnosed me exactly as I thought (she actually got a laugh out of me being able to diagnose myself so appropriately) and adjusted me pretty easily considering how long it's been and how tight I am. She scheduled me to come back in 3 weeks but we both agreed we wouldn't be surprised if I was in earlier than that. Haha! She also suggested I go ahead an have a massage to keep the bones from being pulled on even though my issue isn't muscular (joint and ligament problems...shocking...). So, add "make appt with massage therapist" to my to do list along with "schedule hospital tour" and "interview ped's". I gotta get hoppin'!
#64 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 PM

Oooh on a good note I got my cal/mag supplement, valerian root extract and false unicorn root extract yesterday

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#65 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 PM

What does AAM mean?

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#66 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibut View Post
What does AAM mean?
ALL ABOUT ME

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#67 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 PM

AAM = all about me.

Skrimpy, that sounds har. i hope you make him drive all the way to you next time.

talk to your MW. you would rather know NOW than later that she wont do any of that stuff. I dont want any suctioning either and my MW knows to keep her hands off me and baby unless absolutely necessary.

good luck!

i have been so busy keeping out of the house lately. these threads get way too long for me to be "allowed" (by 2.5 yo lol!).......to keep up.
#68 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Hey Skrimpy, If you feel okay calling the mw late and having her arrive just after the baby then I think you should go for it. You are going to labor best in the ideal situation for you.

Your site looks great, thanks for sharing it.

Glad you made it through the sickness with the kiddos. That sort of thing is hard, especially when pg.

AAM: I'll be 31w tomorrow and time is flying by. The baby is starting to feel big in there...bending. over. is. getting. (breath) hard.
#69 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 PM

I hardly have time to read this thread, let alone post in it! But I am determined to read this more often!!!

I'm 28 weeks today. I had a midwife appt yesterday. Evie's doing great. Strong heartbeat and she is STILL head down. Though she did flip around so her back is now on the left side instead of the right. I think she did that the day our a/c didn't work and I had a breakdown and was hysterically crying, because she was moving and thumping for hours afterwards, poor baby. I drank my glucola and now I have to wait for the results. I'm tempted to call them tomorrow. I really need to know if I passed!

I had my first Bradley class. The teacher is really great and I think I'll get lots of crunchy info from her unrelated to labor. I'm a little nervous, since I want her as a postpartum doula but I don't know if she'll be available since she is pg herself (20 wks.)

Time is going way too fast! I haven't toured the hospital. I haven't interviewed peds. I have no baby stuff except for a boppy and some 6-9 mos dresses. And we made an offer on a house and if we get it we'll be moving Sept 1. On top of that, I haven't been exercising or eating like I should. I haven't walked outside in over a week and for a snack today I ate a whole tub of dip and almost an entire can of pringles. And I've spent the whole day watching rifftrax and loving my working a/c.

Wow! This was a lot longer than I planned.

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#70 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 PM

Down2Earth - I don't have much baby stuff at all. As a matter of fact I don't have any newborn clothes or blankets. I'm looking for a bigger blanket for my 18 month old so I can use the ones out of his crib for the baby. Congrats on making an offer on a house, I hope you get it...there's nothing that will get you moving a house faster than being pregnant! I love dip too...the pringles I could do without but I'm am a dipper!
#71 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 PM

That's ok Down2Earth, I have no baby stuff either except the Mizzou hoodie I bought to tell DH we were pg. I'm waiting to buy anything until after showers are over. That way we can use gift cards and return what we need to. I hope your GTT results come back perfect! Let us know!
#72 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
... and for a snack today I ate a whole tub of dip and almost an entire can of pringles.
The other day I had the most hardcore craving for BBQ Pringles with onion dip. I actually ran out to the food store on my break and got the onion soup mix, tofutti sour cream, and Pringles and ate them at work.

Triple & Orion
- sorry you had such bogus results/experiences. It hurts my heart a little knowing you mamas are having tough times.

Mandi - good luck with your decision. Ultimately you will make the right choice for your family - whatever you decide to do, you are strong and beautiful. Take care.

Tara - glad the chiro helped!! Isn't it just fabulous to be able to walk again?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#73 of 127 Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 PM

Tararae- I'm so glad you found a good Chiro! If you don't mind sharing, what's your diagnosis? My new chiro was impressed that I knew I was hypermobile! So by the end of being PG I'm HYPER-hypermobile! Ouch! He wants to see me every two weeks, now.

I'm another huged boobed gal who did just fine BF'ing laying down. When DS was tiny, it looked like my boob would smother him, but I'd pull his bottom in tight, and he'd automatically tilt his head back! I'm a 38H right now, heaven only knows what I'll be when the milk comes in! :

I feel like I have lots of clothes, and I'm crocheting more fuzzy stuff, too. I don't feel my diaper stash is quite finished, but I don't know what to add!

I did the post meal GTT, and I guess no news is good news, right? I haven't even begun a birth plan! But since it's an independant birth center- maybe I'll be ok w/o one!

DS is not sleeping well, I think b/c of the heat. So neither are DH or me. : I'm really starting to feel the lack of sleep.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#74 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 09:42 AM

I slept like poo last night. My back hurt (weird since I was adjusted yesterday), my tummy hurt (I've had awful gas for the past few days) and I was having RL pains like CRAZY. I think I got a total of 3-4 hours of real sleep, but still had to get up early to go into work earlier than usual.

Good news, lol - I got my hypnobirthing cds and books yesterday! I pawed through them and I'm excited to get started.

I'm starting to think I might want to come up with a birth plan if an emergency c-section is needed. I can't "plan" for that, but I wonder if there are things that I can still have a say in. I would still want to be awake if possible, I want to hold my baby as soon as she's out, or if I can't, I want Chris with her at all times, things like that. The hospital I'd transfer to in an emergency isn't very "friendly" so I might want something drafted up just in case. Would you guys do that? Food for thought.

I'm excited to nurse. I think it's going to be one of the most amazing things I'll ever do. I definitely want to master the side-lying nursing, and my boobies are still only a B cup now, so I think I'll do just fine!

Oh - want to hear something stupid? There's no place at my job for me to pump, right? I brought it up with HR (b/c I definitely think I should be able to pump at work, legally, right?) and she had the audacity to say to me, "Well, see how nursing goes, if you're even able to do it. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. You might be done nursing by the time you come back."

WTF? My baby is going to be like 14-16 weeks old when I come back to work, you can bet your ass I'm still going to be nursing. Geez. Stupid.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#75 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 PM

Baby Cakes- Sorry to hear your work is being so stupid about nursing! Isn't is ridiculous how dumb people can be?

Down2Earth- I've had my 2nd Bradey class and really love our teacher too. Whats so cool is that there are 2 other couples in the class and we're all homebirthing! Its great to have people of the same mindset as you in RL.

AAM: (now that I know what it means. LOL)
I don't have anything in the way of baby stuff either- well I did get my newborn cloth diaper stash!! But no clothes or anything. We're also waiting until after the showers to see what we get and go from there. I'm so excited to have the showers though, but that's because I can't wait to go to MI and see all of our family whom we haven't seen since Christmas! It will be so great to see my parents. Three more weeks.

I didn't sleep well last night either. I am always so warm, then cold, then my back will ache... Oh well, I think its par for the course.

I also froze my 1st meal for Post partum. YAY. Its so motivating to see the freezer fill up (even with just one meal) that I can't wait to add more. I think I'm going to make chili tonight.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#76 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Carrie- I heard last night that NJ has one of the highest section rates in the country. 49% maybe? It made me think of you and I am so glad you're planning to birth at home. If you need a section, it'll be a pretty dire emergency and IME, even if you have a birth plan they'll ignore it. I'd focus on making sure that Chris knows exactly what you want him to do in the event of a transfer and section.

So, I saw Orgasmic Birth last night. I'm not really sure how I felt about it. It was more medical than I'd imagined it would be...lots of hospital births. One in particular that made my stomach hurt. I thought it would be a safe movie to see (you know how hypnobirthing tells you to avoid negative images) but it really wasn't for me at all. I can't get some things I saw out of my head. I was a little surprised too that there seemed to be less "orgasms" happening than sort of ecstatic but really intense feelings. I think it would have been more marketable... so not the point and yeah. Anyway, I enjoyed going and visiting with some friends, my doula and the MW she works with. It was held at a breastfeeding shop in town that I'd never been to. I'll have to go back when I can try on some stuff.
#77 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Oh - want to hear something stupid? There's no place at my job for me to pump, right? I brought it up with HR (b/c I definitely think I should be able to pump at work, legally, right?) and she had the audacity to say to me, "Well, see how nursing goes, if you're even able to do it. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. You might be done nursing by the time you come back."

WTF? My baby is going to be like 14-16 weeks old when I come back to work, you can bet your ass I'm still going to be nursing. Geez. Stupid.
You should head over to the lactivism forum to get info on how to get your work to allow a place to nurse that way you don't have to deal with it when you go back and it will all be in place.

Carrie - You are planning a hb with a mw, right? If so, then I wouldn't worry too much about the drafted emergency plan as long as you talk to your mw about it. She'll be able to support your DH and remind him of what you want.
#78 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
Carrie- I heard last night that NJ has one of the highest section rates in the country. 49% maybe? It made me think of you and I am so glad you're planning to birth at home. If you need a section, it'll be a pretty dire emergency and IME, even if you have a birth plan they'll ignore it. I'd focus on making sure that Chris knows exactly what you want him to do in the event of a transfer and section.

So, I saw Orgasmic Birth last night. I'm not really sure how I felt about it. It was more medical than I'd imagined it would be...lots of hospital births. One in particular that made my stomach hurt. I thought it would be a safe movie to see (you know how hypnobirthing tells you to avoid negative images) but it really wasn't for me at all. I can't get some things I saw out of my head. I was a little surprised too that there seemed to be less "orgasms" happening than sort of ecstatic but really intense feelings. I think it would have been more marketable... so not the point and yeah. Anyway, I enjoyed going and visiting with some friends, my doula and the MW she works with. It was held at a breastfeeding shop in town that I'd never been to. I'll have to go back when I can try on some stuff.
Oh noes! I was all excited to go and see Orgasmic Birth myself. My midwife gave me the info on the west coast premiere screening happening next month. Was it scary or was it just that hospitals were featured that got to you? I am giving birth in a hospital so would love to see some orgasmic hospital births but if there are things that made your stomach hurt... ouch...hmm.

I am so behind with this thread, I can't post to everyone in specific but I did just read everyone's posts.:
I am right there with those who are feeling so achy with back, sciatic pains.
Can't wait to see a PT or a chiro this week...just been juggling money but you all in here remind me of how important it is.
to you all!

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#79 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM

Sorry to hear that I wasn't the only one who had a bad night last night! My hips were killing me.

The doctor team came in for morning rounds as usual this morning and announced that they're going to start doing non-stress tests twice a day. Ugh. It's fine in the sense that it just means they're being more attentive and cautious about the changes the boys are exhibiting as they grow, but it also means I'm going to be tied to a bed and monitors for like 4 hours a day. That will make it hard for people to visit, and it will give me less time to feel somewhat normal. They are also horrible at scheduling, so I imagine I'm just going to be waiting around all day long. That might not sound like a big deal, but when you can't even take a shower or a nap without feeling like someone might be in to get yo in the next 5 minutes, it sucks. :

On a brighter note, I'm 31 weeks today, and the boys are still healthy and moving like crazy.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#80 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 12:47 PM

Carrie, I believe your office has to provide a private place for pumping/nursing mothers legally. That wasn't very fair of your HR gal to respond to you that way. How frustrating.

Celeste, YAY for 31wks!!! 3wks down, 3 to go! :

Heiderk, my dx was SI pain/subluxation, just like I thought. I told her how I knew that's what it was and she laughed and said, "yep, that's SI....no wonder you hurt!"

AAM: So, I felt a LOT better yesterday re: SI pain but it got worse overnight. I totally expected it to get worse before it gets better (long term) since that's pretty typical of chiro care. I scheduled a massage with my normal therapist (love her!) at the advice of my chiro and that's today. I'm debating whether I should call the chiro and see if I can get in for another adjustment before the weekend if I don't feel better after the massage or if I should just wait it out and see what happens over the weekend. I really kind of feel like I should go back in as my body doesn't feel like it's in proper alignment anymore after a rough night's sleep. She didn't schedule me again for 3wks. Fortunately, because of the elastin in pregnancy, I adjusted really easily but the bad thing about elastin is that the joints move back pretty easily too. *sigh* Anyway, I'm looking forward to my massage this afternoon and am hoping I can get relief for at least the weekend before I go back for another adjustment.
#81 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 PM

Carrie - that is absolute BS and Im sure I would have started yelling at her! Like, seriously, who says that. Just because maybe SHE didn't have the determination to keep breastfeeding (don't even know if she has kids or whatnot) does not mean that you are going to stop nursing. Especially at like 3 - 4 months old! Im pretty sure even non-crunchy ped's recommend bf'ing until AT LEAST a year. Ugh, sorry, just one of my pet peeves.

#82 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
Was it scary or was it just that hospitals were featured that got to you? I am giving birth in a hospital so would love to see some orgasmic hospital births but if there are things that made your stomach hurt... ouch...hmm.
Hard to say. It certainly wasn't just the setting... I know good births can happen in hospitals. I'd venture to say with the right support and privacy, an ecstatic birth is possible in a hospital as well.

The woman was on her back and the Dr. was using a vacuum extractor. He was pulling really hard and the suction broke very abruptly. It was just violent. I felt worried about the babies little brain. He then started all over and I believe delivered the baby but I couldn't watch the rest of that scene. There was a csection featured. I'm not sure why as the poor mama was crying and alone. There was nothing about it that seemed relative to the films topic. I know that's probably more than you wanted to hear but had I known about those parts I would have waiting until after my birth to see it. It's totally worth seeing afterward though!
#83 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
Carrie - that is absolute BS and Im sure I would have started yelling at her! Like, seriously, who says that. Just because maybe SHE didn't have the determination to keep breastfeeding (don't even know if she has kids or whatnot) does not mean that you are going to stop nursing. Especially at like 3 - 4 months old! Im pretty sure even non-crunchy ped's recommend bf'ing until AT LEAST a year. Ugh, sorry, just one of my pet peeves.
100% agreed! Who says that?! I was caught so off guard by her comment that I didn't go off on her at the time. She did just have a baby last year and I remember her telling me that she had to stop nursing at 2-3 months b/c her milk dried up.

Celeste - boo to all the testing, what a pain. I'm sure you'll be okay, you'll find ways to pass the time, etc. I 2nd what Tara said - 3 weeks down, 3 to go!

#84 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 03:44 PM

How terrible Changed! Those types of images make me very emotional right now. Shows like A Baby Story really hurt my heart and make me anxious and my heart beat faster. Ick. I avoid them entirely. It makes me sad for my Mom and for my little head at birth...I was a vaccum baby.
#85 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 05:55 PM

Ok, I've been wracking my poor pregnant brain, but I can't figure out what SI means? Help!

Celeste- Yay! 31 weeks!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#86 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 PM

^It's not a pregnancy term. SI is sacro-iliac (sp?). It's a joint in the hip/low back area.
#87 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

So, I had my appt and US today. Placenta is up high and away from my scar. Fluid and measurements were perfect. Estimated weight was 3 pounds 3 ounces. He was head down and looking toward the right. We had to wait a loooong time and I'm tired. Chiro appt was this morning and was also good. Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm. I'm hungry but nothing here sounds good.
#88 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 07:57 PM

That's great that your u/s looked good and the placenta is in a good place, Changed! I hope you find something to eat.....that sucks when you want to eat but can't find anything.
#89 of 127 Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
Shows like A Baby Story really hurt my heart and make me anxious and my heart beat faster. Ick. I avoid them entirely.
Me too. I can't stand watching those shows, they make me either angry or just really sad. I also don't want any imagery in my mind except the positive kind, and those shows don't even "show" you anything, so they're just frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
So, I had my appt and US today. Placenta is up high and away from my scar. Fluid and measurements were perfect. Estimated weight was 3 pounds 3 ounces. He was head down and looking toward the right. We had to wait a loooong time and I'm tired. Chiro appt was this morning and was also good. Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm. I'm hungry but nothing here sounds good.
Excellent report! Glad things turned out well despite the long wait.

I have no appetite either. I haven't for about 5 days now. It's been hard to eat anything other than cereal, fruit, and the odd piece of crap. I don't even want ice cream, it's THAT bad. I forced down an Odwalla drink today for the protein (had 18g) to try to get some sort of nutrition. Boo.

AAM: My midwife appointment went spectacular-ly! I met with Pam, and I know I shouldn't have a preference but of my two midwives, I like her better. We just click more. Anyway, everything looks fabulous with me and the baby. I only gained 2-3 lbs since my last appointment 3 weeks ago. She was very happy to see that after the last gain (12 lbs in 4 weeks). Baby was happy and is sort of in a transverse position, which I totally figured. I've been SO uncomfortable lately, and I was teasing the baby the other day by saying, "I love pissing mommy off by laying sideways all the time," and lo and behold - I was right!

Anyway we discussed the GBS test, and the possibility of me declining it. She said if I do decline then they only treat with abx if I start showing signs of risk. It's tempting. I still need to do more research. I told her my biggest fear with the abx was thrush, and her response was that thrush may be uncomfortable and a pain to deal with, but GBS can really affect the baby with something serious. I knew that already, so it was just reaffirming what my dilemma already is. I'm just going to continue reading and trying to make up my mind with what I'm going to end up doing.

#90 of 127 Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM

I'm really struggling to keep moving today. The SI pain is getting worse again which I know is normal since my body isn't used to being in correct alignment anymore. I taught a step class this morning and really dragged through it. I have a weight training class at noon and then thank goodness nothing else all day. I'm feeling kinda crampy in my abdomen and lower back today like the really light ones at he very beginning of AF. I imagine I need more water. We're under a heat advisory all weekend with heat index of 110. I'm trying to decide if I want to relax at the pool (chiro suggested lots of water time) or take a nap after class. Maybe I can find time for both. Tonight is date night which always gives me something to look forward to. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page