Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^Darn it, I didn't think to do that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 100 Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tara, your necklace is beautiful. I'm off to the bead store tomorrow for the finishing touches-- spacers, clasp, and a little advice.
#63 of 100 Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 PM

I have no idea how to string my beads. I want to make an anklet and a bracelet, and whatever I have leftover, I'll make into a keychain. I have no idea what supplies to get, and I don't know how to "finish" the end for a clasp. Any tips?

Yeah, my job is the suck right now. 6.5 weeks till my last day. Im ready to just walk out now though. Basically the dept I've been running for the past 3 years was taken from me and given to a woman who has been there for about 3 months. All b/c she's the VP's mother. Its so unjust, I really can't tolerate it. PLUS she's a complete bitch now - barking orders at me, going through my stuff, telling me to "clean up my workspace". UGH it's so frustrating.

I met with the Director of Sales this morning to tell her my concerns. I feel better about the situation but it still really effing sucks.

Stupid job. I really wish we didn't need the income, I'd so be out of there.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#64 of 100 Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I have no idea what supplies to get, and I don't know how to "finish" the end for a clasp. Any tips?
Crimps are the best way to attach your beading wire to a clasp (I prefer toggles). They are surprisingly easy to use and most craft stores now carry supplies to use them- basically crimps and a crimper tool, although you can use needle nose pliers.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#65 of 100 Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 PM

Who sent the red heart bead? A couple of my messages and beads got separated, but I can't figure out who that one belongs to! I'm trying to make the "map" as Ashley mentioned, and that's all I need to get going! Thanks!
#66 of 100 Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 PM

^MommaSomeday mentioned on the yahoo group that she sent the small red heart.

HTH.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#67 of 100 Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 PM

I must've missed that--thanks!
#68 of 100 Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 PM

I just got my Bamberoo Mei Tai in the mail and am SOOOOOO in love with it! It feels like a dream on, although i still think DH will be mostly carrying DS from now on as he has gotten a little heavy for me to carry more than a few minutes. I specifically bought a more masculine color (not so much print ) so DH would carry though.

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#69 of 100 Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
^That's what I read as well. Because baby isn't breathing air, the amniotic fluid that gets into the lungs cause hiccups.
That's good to know! Thanks

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#70 of 100 Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I finished my beading! YAY! I've never made anything but I'm pleased with how it turned out. My goal was to have them all on a string, not necessarily to be worn. There's also no particular order to how they're strung. I just picked one up and that's what went on next. I used a magnetic clasp to secure the ends and clear, plastic stringing material and put a small spacer in between each bead (clear, cubical). I'm thinking after the birth, I may attach them all to a frame and put the first family pic (at the birth) in it so it'll be on display and remind me of the strength I conjured from all you ladies. I have all the notes set aside so I can create a scrapbook page of them. Thanks again everyone!

String of beads

Close up-spacers & magnetic clasp
That is lovely! I'm jealous I didn't get active in the board until after the bead swap was done.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#71 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM

Well, I'm up this morning, and feeling better. I can breathe through my nose, the high temp today is supposed to be about 15 degrees cooler than all of last week, and DH's summer job has agreed to let him stay on full time at the end of the summer! To top it off, their insurance covers right away! SO we will have insurance, but I'm not sure what kind. I am pretty sure I can convince DH that the birth center is important enough to be worth paying out of pocket.

So now I wish I had participated in the bead exchange, but I didn't know what it was at the time, so I skipped it. Maybe next PG!!

I have a sudden feeling that this baby is going to be at LEAST a week late. WHy? I don't know, I just feel it somehow.

Somehow, I'm OK with it too. I have a MW appointmement next week, so I'll probably have a question or two for the MW!!!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#72 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 03:06 PM

GAH!!! The nurse for my MWs just called and my glucose was 'elevated' after the one hour GTT. For some reason she couldn't tell me just HOW elevated and that really bothers me. I *know* I have a slow metabolism (lovely side effect of IBS), but I have no other risk factors for GD. Well, I am overweight for my height, but not by too terribly much. I failed my 1-hour when I was pregnant with DS, but passed the 3-hour with flying colors. It just takes me longer to process everything, I TOLD them this.

So now I have to try to get out of the three hour test, because I simply cannot deal with sitting in an office that long. It'd be one thing if it were nice outside and I could stroll around, but it's 100 degrees every day! The office building isn't all that big. Ugh... I really didn't want to deal with this.
#73 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 PM

Darn. I'm sorry.
#74 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 PM

^ Me too. Maybe you can just follow the "special diet" instead, you know? Just assume it's positive, that sort of thing?

Woo hoo!!! It's FRIDAY! I'm going to get a pedicure tonight, and I'm going to Target to shop for some homebirth supplies too. What an exciting evening I've got planned! Plus, my shower is on Sunday and I'm super excited for it! I'm not even going to let negative thoughts cloud up my excitement, I just want to enjoy it.

Work is slowly getting better. It's not great but it's ok. I think I'll make it 6 more weeks. Well, I hope I'll make it 6 more weeks...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#75 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarie930 View Post
GAH!!! The nurse for my MWs just called and my glucose was 'elevated' after the one hour GTT. For some reason she couldn't tell me just HOW elevated and that really bothers me. I *know* I have a slow metabolism (lovely side effect of IBS), but I have no other risk factors for GD. Well, I am overweight for my height, but not by too terribly much. I failed my 1-hour when I was pregnant with DS, but passed the 3-hour with flying colors. It just takes me longer to process everything, I TOLD them this.

So now I have to try to get out of the three hour test, because I simply cannot deal with sitting in an office that long. It'd be one thing if it were nice outside and I could stroll around, but it's 100 degrees every day! The office building isn't all that big. Ugh... I really didn't want to deal with this.
Awww, I'm sorry Jennifer. Is there any way they'd let you do the 1-hour again?

#76 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Jennifer, that really sucks! You do have the right to decline the 3-hour test if you want. I agree maybe you should just follow a diet as if you'd failed the 3-hour test. It all depends on how comfortable you are with it. GL and I hope you can find something to work for you!

My appt went well today. Nothing terribly exciting. We saw the CNM again since the OB was out of the office for the day. I've actually decided I prefer the CNM to the OB. I just feel more comfortable with her. I told DH and I was kind of hoping he'd say, "Well, then I guess we should switch our care to her" but he didn't. He thinks I like the MW better because she's not a dr. I'm sure that's part of it but there's something to be said for a good personality match especially when it relates to your birth experience. We're seeing the OB for our next appt so we'll see how I feel after that appt. If I still feel strongly toward the MW, I'll talk to DH about switching our care. Nothing else would change as far as the logistics. Baby's heart rate was 150, just like always and my BP was 110/66, also pretty normal for me. I forgot to ask what my uterus was measuring so I'll just ask next time (out of curiosity). We talked a little about forming our birth plan and she had some good tips on how to write it so it doesn't make the nursing staff defensive. We have ideas down on paper but it needs to be re-written and a few things added.

Have a great weekend ladies!
#77 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 PM

Yuck, JMarie. Sorry it didn't go perfectly for you.

Carrie, hope things continue to improve at work. Have you had a chance to voice your concerns to the powers-that-be yet?

Hmmm. Tara's mention of a birth plan makes me wonder - those of us who are planning an out-of-hospital birth (be it birthcenter or homebirth) - are you writing a plan? Packing a hospital bag? You know, just in case. I'm going for a birthcenter birth so I'll need a bag regardless, but I haven't discussed with my midwives if they want me to write a birth plan for them or not yet. I'm not sure there's much of a point to writing a hospital one - if we have to go to the hospital it'll be because there's an emergency, and I feel that kinda makes any plan moot. On the other hand, having something basic like "No eye goop, no formula, etc." can't hurt, right?
#78 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
Hmmm. Tara's mention of a birth plan makes me wonder - those of us who are planning an out-of-hospital birth (be it birthcenter or homebirth) - are you writing a plan? Packing a hospital bag? You know, just in case. I'm going for a birthcenter birth so I'll need a bag regardless, but I haven't discussed with my midwives if they want me to write a birth plan for them or not yet. I'm not sure there's much of a point to writing a hospital one - if we have to go to the hospital it'll be because there's an emergency, and I feel that kinda makes any plan moot. On the other hand, having something basic like "No eye goop, no formula, etc." can't hurt, right?
I don't pack a bag...I haven't for my other two. IMO, I'd have enough time for my DH to gather some things for me b/c we'd be xfering b/c of lack of progress which is what most xfers are for. If it was an immediate emergency then I really wouldn't care about anything anyways and it would be what it was.

As far as writing a birth plan, I think that just having discussed with your DH and midwives what you want and hope for is enough. The mw's can't technically do anything but remind and encourage your partner to speak up fo r you.

I was reading another members birth story yesterday, she ended up having to go the hospital and get induced but she refused to sign general consent so she ended up telling them she would consent as they went along....it worked for her. That's what I'll be doing if I end up at the hospital.
#79 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

lee, if it were me having a HB, I'd have a birth plan ready for the hospital in case of a transfer for things like the eye ointment, Vit K, BF'ing, rooming in, how soon you'd like to be discharged, etc. But, that's just me....
#80 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I was reading another members birth story yesterday, she ended up having to go the hospital and get induced but she refused to sign general consent so she ended up telling them she would consent as they went along....it worked for her. That's what I'll be doing if I end up at the hospital.
Hmmm. Like that idea. Also like the idea of having the midwives "remind" the husbandperson of what to do. I suspect he'll need someone telling him, step by step.

Quote:
lee, if it were me having a HB, I'd have a birth plan ready for the hospital in case of a transfer for things like the eye ointment, Vit K, BF'ing, rooming in, how soon you'd like to be discharged, etc. But, that's just me....
Hmmm! Like this too. So many decisions. And oh my gosh, with no insurance if we transfer I'm going to want to be discharged as soon as possible, if not sooner. Anything for the baby would be covered, but I'd like to not bankrupt us on hospital bills for me. Please dear child, be head down in the proper position, and come out with as little damage to me as possible, ok?? Thanks, Mama.
#81 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
Hmmm. Like that idea. Also like the idea of having the midwives "remind" the husbandperson of what to do. I suspect he'll need someone telling him, step by step.

Hmmm! Like this too. So many decisions. And oh my gosh, with no insurance if we transfer I'm going to want to be discharged as soon as possible, if not sooner. Anything for the baby would be covered, but I'd like to not bankrupt us on hospital bills for me. Please dear child, be head down in the proper position, and come out with as little damage to me as possible, ok?? Thanks, Mama.
lee - you'll be fine...think positive thoughts. I understand that it's hard to not consider the things that 'can' happen... I do it too, even after having 2 healthy hb's. The other member who's story I was reading was also discharged early....she just had to sign a waiver that it was against the docs orders.

IMO, if you are strong-willed about the things you want, you will have no problem voicing those things to the nurses/ob's when the time comes. If you think your DH needs a guide, then by all means, write a general plan of what you want but your DH has to also be strong-willed also b/c he can't just hand them a piece of paper and say "here, this is what she wants."

If the baby is born in the hospital, you shoo DH away from you to go be with the baby b/c his instinct is probably going to be to stay with you. Then he can make sure they do Vit. K or eye ointment, etc.
#82 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 PM

I'm planning a homebirth, but I might pack a bag just to have one "ready" - but it will be an emergency bag so it will only have emergency things in it. Like, I dunno, outfit for baby, nightgown for me, underwear, and like, socks and shoes? Maybe pants and a shirt? Headband and a hair tie? Just the bare essentials.

If it's a transfer b/c of exhaustion, we'll be going to the hospital where my midwives have privileges, so I don't feel I would need to write up a birth plan. If it's an emergency transfer, I will just make sure DH sticks with the baby and that she doesn't get the hep b or eye goop, and that no formula goes near her. Those things are what are most important to me, so as long as he knows and can advocate for our baby, that's all I care about.

I have SO MUCH to prepare for this homebirth though. My house is nowhere near ready. I only have 8 weeks till I'm due! Ack! Where did the time go!?!

#83 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 PM

I'm going to write a birth plan thing just for myself for my home birth so that I can clearly communicate what I want to my birth team. It's still all muddled in my head at this point, so I figure getting it on paper will help. I'm not writing one for the hospital b/c if we transfer it will be an emergency - same with packing a bag.

I had a prenatal today too Tara! Also pretty uneventful; babe's heart rate at 148, measuring 31 weeks (I knew I had a growth spurt!), and I've gained a total of 20 lbs at 29 weeks! Dh was weird though; at our last appt. with our doula and this one with our midwife it's like he's wished he was somewhere else the whole time. Just really distracted and close mouthed. It was an uncomfortable feeling to me, hope the midwife didn't pick up on it but I'm sure she did. He just kept saying he was really tired and stressed about his job, which is true, but he doesn't have to act so disinterested. : We usually spend about 2 hrs at each appt. but we were done and out of there, even with a blood draw, within an hour this time. Oh well.

Speaking of blood draws... I need you all to : for me that my metabolic levels went up!!! I've been taking chlorophyll and NEED my anemia to be getting better! I feel better, but it's the numbers that make the difference.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#84 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 PM

Thanks, janasmama! I'm actually fairly laid-back and usually am not too terribly concerned about emergencies and transfers and what-not... but every so often the thought of a c-section and the big ol' bill that comes with it kinda freaks me out. My midwife and birthcenter seem really laid back too, without being stupid about risking health - I don't think they'll recommend a transfer unless it's truly needed.

Amber - your numbers almost exactly match mine, except I was measuring 32 weeks at 29. Question though - what does it mean if your anemia isn't better? (: that it is!) Does it affect your homebirth plans any?
#85 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 PM

lee - I don't know about your state but here in CA you can apply for state health insurance...basically everyone qualifies, it's just a matter of having a deductible. Anyway, when they do approve you it can be retroactive 3 months back.

I don't have maternity insurance either...so if I had to go to the hospital we would get a large bill. I had considered going through the process of gettting medi-cal but I figured if something does happen then we will just do it then since it will retroact. We would have a deductible of about $3k but we have a $5k ded with our insurance company anyway.
#86 of 100 Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Emily, I'll be thinking of you! I hope your levels have increased! :
#87 of 100 Old 08-09-2008, 03:45 PM

I don't think I'll be risked out of my home birth if my levels don't get better, b/c my midwives are unlicensed so they don't have any regulations on them, but it will mean working REALLY hard with really yucky stuff that makes me throw up to get them up. And I'd rather just keep doing the chlorophyll.

I don't have insurance either Lee, and I'm a little worried in the back of my head about a transfer in that instance also. But realistically, I'm not going to risk my life or the babe's b/c of money, so if it happens that my midwives say we need to, we'll go. And we'll deal with the bill later. Hopefully we'll be able to qualify for state's insurance (there's a very slim chance, we make too much money if we actually claim all Dh's income but we might be able to fudge it) or at least the community repayment plan that our hospital has to make it more manageable to pay back. Also, I was an emergency c-sec and NICU baby and my parents had excellent insurance, but even excellent insurance only covers part of it and it took my Dad working overtime for a couple years to pay off their portion. So transfering for an emergency just sucks all the way around. I'm just doing a lot of positive affirmations and being as healthy as I can and believing that my birth will go smoothly at home.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#88 of 100 Old 08-09-2008, 08:13 PM

I love my husband!

He's agreed that a peaceful atmosphere is important enough that it's worth it to go to the birth center, even if we end up paying out of pocket!

We may have insurance, but I have no idea if I can get them to cover Birth Care.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#89 of 100 Old 08-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Yay, heidi! Congrats - that is great news!

Am I completely insane that I want to go to the mall yet again and look for yet another dress for my shower tomorrow? Dh is pissed b/c I've "wasted so much time" looking for a dress, and I do have one that I could wear...but this is a big deal!

Ah, eff it, I'm going to the mall!!!

:

#90 of 100 Old 08-09-2008, 08:38 PM

I'm so excited! I just got a package in the mail from the TP. 5 great glamourmom nursing tanks. Yay!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page