Weekly Chit Chat Aug 4-10 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 08-09-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's fantastic news heidirk! It's wonderful that he's on the same page as you. You'll have a great birth!

Carrie, I agree....go shopping!

Changed, how fun! I love getting packages in the mail!

I was looking at nursing bras today and trying to figure out what I would be able to buy after LO is born. Am I correct in thinking I'll gain about a cup size when my milk comes in? I'm measuring at a 32E right now and I'm wearing a 30DDDD and it fits really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 100 Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
That's fantastic news heidirk! It's wonderful that he's on the same page as you. You'll have a great birth!

Carrie, I agree....go shopping!

Changed, how fun! I love getting packages in the mail!

I was looking at nursing bras today and trying to figure out what I would be able to buy after LO is born. Am I correct in thinking I'll gain about a cup size when my milk comes in? I'm measuring at a 32E right now and I'm wearing a 30DDDD and it fits really well.
I'm not buying any nursing bras until my boobs settle into a size (I'm thinking a week or 2 after birth) I'm going to buy a couple nursing tanks until then-I've heard great things about the Bravado ones for large chested women. I tried on a Target XL one but it didn't fit my boobs, and if I go any bigger, it will just be really baggy and look horrible.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#93 of 100 Old 08-10-2008, 11:55 AM

Tara- There are some nursing bras that are flexible enough for just postpartum and beyond. The original bravado bras can accommodate a few cup sizes and the motherhood or medela sleep bras do easily as well. I always need to sleep in a bra to hold my nursing pads because I leak a TON.

With my babies, I've got up as little as half and as much as 3 cup sizes after birth. Just depends on a lot of things.
#94 of 100 Old 08-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
I'm not buying any nursing bras until my boobs settle into a size (I'm thinking a week or 2 after birth) I'm going to buy a couple nursing tanks until then-I've heard great things about the Bravado ones for large chested women. I tried on a Target XL one but it didn't fit my boobs, and if I go any bigger, it will just be really baggy and look horrible.
I was a 36G till my daughter was about 15 mo, the Bravado tanks rock.
#95 of 100 Old 08-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Speaking strictly for my self, I need a structured cup of some sort, so the bravados don't do anything for me. And from my experience, multi cup sizes only fit the smaller end of the range.

I LOVE the Anita brand nursing bras. But for the first week PP, I just use a crossover/sleep bra, to hold the pads in place. And because I'm lazy!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#96 of 100 Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good idea to do nursing tanks instead of a bra until you establish a size. I'll check into that.

We toured the hospital today where we'll deliver. I was pretty impressed actually. I'm glad I've seen it now because hospitals are so intimidating and unnerving. The rooms are very spacious and nice with furniture that looks like it should be in your home, not in a hospital room. Based on the nurse that toured us it doesn't seem like we'll have to fight the "system" quite as much as I anticipated. They promote NCB and everything that goes along with it (BF'ing, rooming in, birth plans, etc.) so that's comforting. I think it'll be "smaller" things that we'll need to be sure to advocate for like no-vax as opposed to things like no monitoring and a peaceful environment. Now we just need to re-write our birth plan/preferences/ideas and get copies to our OB and CNM so they can have it in our chart and thus the hospital will have it as well.

I hope everyone's having a great weekend!
#97 of 100 Old 08-10-2008, 11:15 PM

That's great Tara, I'm glad you feel comfy with the hospital...that's really important. Hey, if you can get past the hospital pushing an epi then the rest will be a breeze.
#98 of 100 Old 08-10-2008, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

^The nurse said their epi rate is about 60% which is amazing compared to the rest of our metro area (about 95%!). It'll really help that our OB was a Bradley instructor and doula prior to med school and even had a planned homebirth! I'll have DH and my doula right there too help too. The nurse also said that they promote Mom getting in the tub during labor (even after amniotic sac has broken) to help with pain....she even specified that the water can be just as effective as an epi. I was impressed that she was into NCB that much.
#99 of 100 Old 08-10-2008, 11:30 PM

^ That's cool about the water. I'm so glad you have water available to you. I couldn't imagine birthing without it. I had a friend who had a land birth and then a water birth for her second and she was truly amazed....she can't imagine doing it any other way now.

But, water is not as effective as an epi...it's much better. They are non-comparable. It sounds like you have a great place to birth.
#100 of 100 Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
I don't have insurance either Lee, and I'm a little worried in the back of my head about a transfer in that instance also. But realistically, I'm not going to risk my life or the babe's b/c of money, so if it happens that my midwives say we need to, we'll go. And we'll deal with the bill later.
Yup yup! This is my theory too. When discussing if we could afford to have me stay at home (we so can, and even if we "couldn't" my job is not worth daycare) my husband was more concerned about losing my little bitty paychecks, than being hit with a huge hospital bill. Go figure. I guess if we have to transfer for any reason, we'll just add me to his insurance before the next baby so we don't have to worry about it twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
I love my husband!

He's agreed that a peaceful atmosphere is important enough that it's worth it to go to the birth center, even if we end up paying out of pocket!
Wonderful news! Very glad to hear it.

Went shopping at Target today, and I found my "diaper" bag! You can't tell in the picture, but the zipper bit and the underside of the handle is a pretty blue/ivory floral pattern. It seems big enough to carry a wet bag and other necessities in, but not so big as to be insane. I *hate* carrying bags, usually just have my wallet and keys, so not having something huge or conspicuous was a priority.

Also bought a nursing tank, on the theory that it would probably be adequate for my small chest even after getting my milk in, and I wouldn't have to worry about bra sizes right away. Bought a large to accommodate my rib cage (usually wear a medium) and it seems a little baggy - I can wear it now, at 7 months pregnant, and you can see where the bottom part of the bust support is from the sides. That make sense? In other words, it gaps a little. I'm afraid it's too big. GAH! Stupid small boobs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page