Weekly Chit Chat Aug 4-10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed we needed a thread. Happy baby-growing for another week ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Well, I have decided that I am not going to change my EDD after all. I am not having a home birth, so that aspect of it really doesn't matter anyway. I am going for giving birth on my actual EDD and not the wacked out numbers u/s gives me... So if I DO make it to the end, I won't be pressured into an unnecessary induction because of "going over"

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#3 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 PM

Woohoo!

Sounds like a good idea Maryann.

I think i'm going to head up to the local resale kids place.
#4 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 PM

^^ Ooooh that reminds me there is a consignment shop about 15 minutes away I totally need to check out!!!

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#5 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 PM

I feel like I've been gone forever!!! Spent another weekend away from home, this time in San Francisco. Except, really, I spent the weekend in a hotel room. It's a long story, but the Hilton by the airport has NOTHING around it and doesn't serve food from 10 am to 5 pm... which makes a very, very sad and hungry pregnant Momma. Tears and the PG belly apparently have no effect on staff members who only had to help this pg Momma find/use a microwave somewhere on the premisis to get some food - I still don't believe there is not even one single microwave in the entire hotel, but oh well. It does, however, allow one to get quite a lot of knitting done and allows one to get one's tv fix cause you don't have a tv in your own home.

We also discovered why my FIL was acting incredibly weird/rude to me this weekend... apparently he got it into his head that I'd scheduled my baby shower for a weekend he'd be out of town so that my family could avoid meeting him b/c they don't care for his criminal record. Yes, we've been married for 4 years and he couldn't attend our wedding and since then it just hasn't worked out for my parents and him to be in the same place at the same time.... but his little conspiracy theory freak out was WAY out of line. And completely untrue! First of all, it's a girls only baby shower so he wasn't invited in the first place and only my Mom and sister will be in town. Second of all, we were trying to schedule it for a weekend separate from this conflicting event FIL will be attending b/c WE wanted to go to that event... but Dh got the dates wrong and the invitations were already sent out so we though, oh well, we'll go next year. I just wanted to yell "Grow up, it's not all about you!", but luckily he talked to Dh on the phone about it and so I didn't have a chance to give in to the urge.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#6 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 08:22 PM

I've got a full week ahead of me. Had a mw appt. today...nothing new to report except all is good and I'm measuring right on for 30 weeks.

I gave dh my "before October" to-do list and one of the things I want to get done is to move his office furniture out of my living room and get sofas from ikea. Well, today he had a carpenter out to measure for a new office we're building on our 3rd floor...and the guy starts tomorrow! I'm beyond thrilled and so happy I'll have a nice living room to rock the baby in once she's here! Now, if only I could get dh to help me with my zillion other projects!

Dh and I took pregnancy photos this weekend and they came out really good. I don't have them uploaded but when I do I'll be sure to share.

Have a great week, mamas!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#7 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 PM

Hello! I'm catching the thread early this time. I'm glad to hear you ladies are doing well. I got my beads in the mail today! They are amazing. I've already read through all the blessings and prayers attached - and I plan to save them and reread them before the birth again. What a great idea that was!

I am 32 weeks pregnant. My midwife thinks the baby has "dropped" and asked how sure we were about dates. I'm pretty sure about them. I'm also only measuring 33 cm fundal height - so maybe she just dropped early. I'm really enjoying being pregnant, but it gets hard in 105 degree Texas heat.

The Domestic Violence (DV) case with DH continues, but he has shown lots of remorse as of late, and might even be starting DV treatment soon. He seems to want us back and to work it out, but I hope he really means it and isn't just saying it because of the birth. I still have to appear in court the first week of Sept. for the trial by jury. I am not sure if it is a good idea to fly to Seattle pregnant at 37 weeks and then have the stress of retelling the incident. I also want him to get off without any more penalties by the court - because I feel the state has blown it all out of proportion with the endless no-contact order and all. Would you travel for it? I am afraid they might continue things if I don't. I'm stumped.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#8 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Rant coming, I apologize in advance...

*sigh* I'm so frustrated with DH. He'd been acting all cranky and withdrawn this weekend, but any time I would ask him what was bothering him, he'd just say 'nothing' and go about whatever he was doing. His fuse was a little short, so I made a point to take DS with me whenever I had to run errands (which is already challenging, made even worse considering how badly the heat is bothering me). But I did it because I knew he needed some down time. I didn't complain when he spent a few hours at our neighbors shooting darts while I dealt with a melting-down DS. I just tried to give him some space.

So when I got home from work today, his fuse is now gone. He shouted at DS for not listening (which, again, has been a challenge since DS has NO schedule during the summer while he's home with DH during the day, but that's not.my.problem. DH should have figured that one out in June...), DS burst into tears and ran into his room. DH stomps upstairs mumbling how he never gets any quiet time to himself. Hello? He gets home from work at midnight and doesn't go to bed until at least 2AM - there's two hours right there. Not to mention I took DS EVERYWHERE this weekend, thereby giving him even more down time.

DH then asked me when DS would get 'better' and start acting like other kids. Listening, following directions, controlling his emotions. Ummm, our DS is on the autism spectrum - on the high end, but still there - and DH still hasn't grasped that he may NEVER be 'like other kids.' DS is energetic, loving and affectionate, vocal, and SO many things that other parents of children on the spectrum wish their children could be. Yes, he has his challenges, and yes, they can be difficult to manage, but I know how lucky we are. Why can't DH see that? And why just accept our DS for who he is? And what if Baby Girl has some type of challenge of her own? How will he handle that?

Sorry, rant over. Don't get me wrong, DH is a wonderful, AMAZING father to DS, he really, truly is. I just have a hard time understanding his thought process sometimes when it comes to this.
#9 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM

Woot! New week!!

I'm getting more and more excited counting down the weeks. Tomorrow I'll be 29 weeks along... So only 11 weeks!! : COME ON OCTOBER!! I WANT MY BABY GIRL!

I have 10 gazillion pieces of baby clothes and more on the way. Out of all of it, I only bought 4 things, lol. And I'm not buying anything else bc I have AT LEAST 3-4 other people sending me stuff! OMG! I don't think I'll have room for all of Katherine's clothes! I guess she is a girl after all, lol. Other than that we have everything except the bouncy chair (gift my mom's getting), nursing bras, and a sling. None of them are necessary, so if I don't get them by the time she's born I won't be worried or freaking out.

I think I posted this in the other weekly thread, but I passed my GTT!! Slightly anemic, but that's easily controlled, so no worries there! The rest of my OB appt was good. I'm measuring just perfect and my OB says everything looks great! YAY!!

I PROMISE I'm going to start exercising... Not like crunches and pushups and whatnot, but squats, tailor sitting, pelvic rocks, kegels, and stuff that will be beneficial to l&d. I know I'm way behind... Plus it will help keep my weight in check a bit being more active. I'm up to 19 lbs now which I'm ecstatic about since I initially lost 30 lbs, but now I feel I'm back on track so I need to slow it down a wee bit. My goal is to stay below 40lbs if I can.

to leurMaman

Anywho... Have a nice week ladies!!

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#10 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leurMaman View Post
I am not sure if it is a good idea to fly to Seattle pregnant at 37 weeks and then have the stress of retelling the incident. I also want him to get off without any more penalties by the court - because I feel the state has blown it all out of proportion with the endless no-contact order and all. Would you travel for it? I am afraid they might continue things if I don't. I'm stumped.
Honestly, you may be hard-pressed to find an airline that will allow you to fly at that point, or at least one that will make it easy for you. I think most require a doctor's approval dated within 72 hours of your flight. Is there any way you can give testimony from Texas, considering how close you'll be to your due date? Hugs, mama, this cannot be easy.
#11 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 PM

leurmaman and Jmarie- Hugs to both of you mamas.

My turn-
I'm feeling quite strange this week. Kind of not hungry, but if I start to eat, I can't stop. I am SO done with the weight gain, I haven't gained much, but if I came to a dead stop right here, I'd be happy. And then I feel guilty. Sigh. . .

My joints keep getting looser and looser, and after a walk to the park today, I hurt so bad! I am actually afraid I might get to the point where I can't walk around in the next month or so. I did not walk in labor at all with DS because I had almost no control over my hips/legs.

DS, DH and I are all semi sick and sleep deprived, and all I can do at this point is say, 'Please Lord, grant us a break of some sort before the bb comes!' I cannot fathom beginning the newborn stage at this level of fatigue- for all three of us!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#12 of 100 Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 PM

I bought 2 goodmama diapers today I had to do something while the carpet guys were cleaning the carpets. I wanted to have that done while I could keep the the house open for them to dry well. Im ready... 30 weeks tomrrow baby "jack" has learned to push off my ribs I KNOW he is head down cause he is practicing his olympic swim push off already
The big boys start school 8/20 and Nathan starts back to his montessori preschool on the 25th ( he goes 3hrs a day). The 19th I have a u/s and Im taking Nathan along.

The other day I was getting ready for bed and didnt realize Nathan was sitting on my bed so I strip off my top and reach for my night gown... I hear WOOOOO HOOOO Mommy look at those giant milken boobies

What can you say when a 4 yr old says that? We have been talking about how baby Jack will only get boobie milk Hes excited and every visit comes running to ask if the doctor helped Jack pop out this time OR if he still needs to "cook" some more

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#13 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
leurmaman and Jmarie- Hugs to both of you mamas.
Ditto!

Ahhhh...well I'm 29 weeks yesterday. I feel pretty good. I think all the swimming I've been doing has really helped with all my aches and pains. I had a prenatal appt. this afternoon. I've gained 10 lbs so far. Baby boy looks good. Chatted briefly about the GTT and told doc I didn't want to take it. He said that was fine I didn't have to take it, no further questions about that. All is good with baby boy. I go back in 3 weeks.
I also brought my 6yr old in for an appt. too, she has strep..ugh! Her older sister had it last week and now she has it. I think my 8yr old is getting it as well...this sucks!
Oooohhhh, I also found out yesterday that DP's mom wants to give a double baby shower for me and DP's sister (she's due early Dec) on Sept. 7th. All the family is invited (aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc). I have no idea what to put in a registry. I've been gathering baby stuff and have pretty much everything I need already. UGH! I might make a trip to Target tomorrow to check things out. That's about it for here.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#14 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarie930 View Post
Honestly, you may be hard-pressed to find an airline that will allow you to fly at that point, or at least one that will make it easy for you. I think most require a doctor's approval dated within 72 hours of your flight. Is there any way you can give testimony from Texas, considering how close you'll be to your due date? Hugs, mama, this cannot be easy.
I flew to Seattle at 35.5 weeks, and retruned to CT at 37.5 weeks when I was pregnant with my DD for our wedding. The airlines website said they required all kinds of stuff, but when I checked in no one asked for it, no one cared. They were kind enough to move me to bussiness class for one of the three flights we eneded up having to take because of some massive storms in Texas, and that was on the way out. For our return flight I was crammed into the regular coach seats the whole way home. To be honest it was WAY MORE comfortable than flying with a baby or a toddler. So, No biggie, drink LOTS of water, carry snacks in case everything is closed in the airport when you are changing planes.
#15 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 AM

JMarie - You're right - I'll have to check out airline policies. I am in a small town and went to high school with the local doctor, so I can also see what he says.

I'm sorry to hear about your incident with DS and DH. I can totally relate. My son can be difficult and I've seen DH have a much harder time than me dealing with it, so I take on most of the breakdowns. It isn't fair, is it? It sounds like your DH is over-worked and over-stressed. He may need a small vacation before the added stress of a newborn. Can you two take a three-day weekend and let a relative watch DS? I ignored all advice about dating, taking weekends together, etc. with DH and he got so over-worked and stressed that he snapped. I just want to offer that hard-learned lesson. Maybe he just needs a break and then when he is calm one day you can mention that you need him to be more accepting and understanding about DS. Good luck!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#16 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 AM

Mandi - (((hugs))) Only you can decide. I know tickets get more expensive as days approach but Southwest doesnt' charge to change dates, hopefully you can fly with them...maybe you can just wait to see how you are feeling about everything when the time comes.

It seems like my house is always a mess and I'm always picking crap up. I dusted the baseboards in the bathroom thinking I might not have to do it again but I still have almost 9 weeks left so I'm sure I'll have to do it again.

I get a little scared though when I say 9 weeks. It's actually almost 8...WOW...so close, I hope I can do it all again. I mean go through labor, give birth, nurse, survive sleep deprivation. I'm just not any good without sleep and I get really emotional.

We need a dresser or something to keep baby's clothes in. Since the baby is sleeping in our room I think I might actually get one of those sweater organizers that hang in the closet.
#17 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 01:34 AM

JMarie and leurMaman - sorry things are so rough for you both right now.

30.5 weeks here. So excited.

I've been having times more and more recently when my uterus just tightens up for a few moments. Those are braxton hicks, right? It's not painful, although there have been times when it's a little uncomfortable because my tummy's so tight. And recently, I'm not always sure if it's the uterus itself tightening up, or if it's the baby pushing outwards. Though if it's the baby, the little critter is now big enough to push out against my ENTIRE belly. I keep forgetting to ask my midwife about it.

Speaking of, they haven't said a WORD to me about the GTT/GD stuff. I guess they don't routinely test for it? I do the urine testing each appointment, and everything's been perfect every time.
#18 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 AM

I'll be flying between 34 and 35 weeks. We checked with several airlines and only a few require a note from a HCP. Here is a list of different airline's restrictions I found.
IME flying while preggo in the past, no one said a thing to me.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#19 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
Speaking of, they haven't said a WORD to me about the GTT/GD stuff. I guess they don't routinely test for it? I do the urine testing each appointment, and everything's been perfect every time.
Hmmm, that's odd. Usually you need to sign a waiver if you decline the tests. For their own benefit, a mw wants to have that on file. They should at least be informing you, it is your right to have the tests if you want them.
#20 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 02:31 AM

We had our appointment today, 31 weeks, and 3 days, Wooot! And we got our homebrith prep list. I'm supposed to buy a kit...I have most of the other stuff we are supposed to gather, excpet papertowels, however I wish I knew what was in the kit because I might try to scrounge up stuff from other peoples leftover stashes. I really don't know where the money for all of these things is coming from in the next couple of months. I need to get my aunt here for the birth, and I so can't see how to afford it, but I just have to MAKE it happen. The good news is that this baby is defintly head down, way down already under my pelvic bone. I am starting to have swelling around my mons already! I was a little shocked, but my midwives and GF's agree that gravity works and this happens. I am taking it as a good sign, but man I already feel as big and heavy as I did when I was close to delivering my DD so I am wondering if this is a BIG baby.

Money, nesting, and a 2 year old, are my only stresses right now.:
#21 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
The other day I was getting ready for bed and didnt realize Nathan was sitting on my bed so I strip off my top and reach for my night gown... I hear WOOOOO HOOOO Mommy look at those giant milken boobies

What can you say when a 4 yr old says that? We have been talking about how baby Jack will only get boobie milk Hes excited and every visit comes running to ask if the doctor helped Jack pop out this time OR if he still needs to "cook" some more
That made my husband and I laugh so hard. What a cutie!!
And I'm jealous of your Goodmamas! Which ones did you get? Those are a dream-only item for me.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#22 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM

Well, I figured I'd get my update in for the week before the thread gets too far ahead of me again. LOL.

I got my beads I the mail too! They are so beautiful that I hope I can make a necklace that will do them justice.

I reached the 3rd trimester yesterday! YAY 28 weeks. Although what's really weird is that suddenly this baby's birth seems FOREVER away. I thought hitting the 3rd tri would make it seem closer than ever, but nope- not here. Today I just keep thinking, "3 more months?!" Even our showers, which are 2 1/2 weeks away seem far off. Looking back I will probably wonder where the time went, but right now everything is dragging.

I've been nesting like crazy and cooking freezer meals. (Although I've only gotten 3 meals done so far.)

My job is driving me crazy, which probably adds to the "forever away" feeling I'm having. 9 more weeks until I'm done...

Sorry if this sounds whiny- its not intended that way!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#23 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

s to you mamas having a rough time. I wish the stress in our lives could just be put on hold during pregnancy. That would make things so much easier and enjoyable!

I had to reschedule my OB appt that was supposed to be Friday. The office called and said my OB wouldn't be in that day and they needed me to see the CNM instead which is totally fine. I really like her. But, I can't get in Fri morning because of my teaching schedule so I had to push it back until next Tues.

I'm having a lot of dizziness today and I'm pretty pale...no color in my lips (nail beds and everything are still pink though). It wasn't bad enough this morning that it kept me from teaching my step class but I did take it easy so if it got bad I wouldn't risk falling. It got MUCH better during class and now it's MUCH worse 1 hour after class ended. It has to be BP related since mine runs so low normally (99/60) and it goes up during exercise so of course I'd feel better. Does this sound like something I should be concerned about? Any ideas of natural remedies or anything I can do to help feel better?

On a more positive note, I got a few things at Michael's yesterday so I can string my beads! I know nothing about beading but I'm gonna give it a go! I just got some clear plastic string and magnetic ends to secure it together. I also got some really unique small, cube, clear spacers. Hopefully I'll feel better this afternoon so I can start my beading adventure.
#24 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Tara ... is your blood sugar LOW? Do you feel better after you eat? I would keep something with sugar in it when you get like that. Im sure they checked your platelets and iron already ( didnt they?)

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#25 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM

Is anyone noticing their baby moving less? Mine is still moving plenty but the movements are drastically smaller and less frequent.
#26 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Tara ... is your blood sugar LOW? Do you feel better after you eat? I would keep something with sugar in it when you get like that. Im sure they checked your platelets and iron already ( didnt they?)
I know it's not my blood sugar because eating doesn't change the way I feel. I've had a bowl of Kashi cereal today and also protein powder with milk for a total of about 60g of protein and lots of whole grains and natural sugar. The last time I had this prob (several weeks ago) I took my BP at my Mom's house and it was 90/58 so I know that's what it is.
#27 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
Hmmm, that's odd. Usually you need to sign a waiver if you decline the tests. For their own benefit, a mw wants to have that on file. They should at least be informing you, it is your right to have the tests if you want them.
Hmmm indeed. Hadn't thought of it that way. May have to email them or mention it at the next appointment. Seems silly to do so though, as I'd just proceed to decline it.

Changed, I'm still getting big movements, but less frequently, if that makes sense. Like, now I only get them when I'm chilling on the computer of an evening and when I go to bed, as opposed to almost any time I sit down to relax. On the other hand, I have gotten to see random body parts floating by under my belly, so that's nifty too.

Tara, hope you feel better soon. I tend to have low blood pressure too, although I haven't figured out if my feeling icky the past few mornings is related to that or blood sugar.
#28 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Salt. I have simmilar issues, my MW has me eating all the salty foods I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
s to you mamas having a rough time. I wish the stress in our lives could just be put on hold during pregnancy. That would make things so much easier and enjoyable!

I had to reschedule my OB appt that was supposed to be Friday. The office called and said my OB wouldn't be in that day and they needed me to see the CNM instead which is totally fine. I really like her. But, I can't get in Fri morning because of my teaching schedule so I had to push it back until next Tues.

I'm having a lot of dizziness today and I'm pretty pale...no color in my lips (nail beds and everything are still pink though). It wasn't bad enough this morning that it kept me from teaching my step class but I did take it easy so if it got bad I wouldn't risk falling. It got MUCH better during class and now it's MUCH worse 1 hour after class ended. It has to be BP related since mine runs so low normally (99/60) and it goes up during exercise so of course I'd feel better. Does this sound like something I should be concerned about? Any ideas of natural remedies or anything I can do to help feel better?

On a more positive note, I got a few things at Michael's yesterday so I can string my beads! I know nothing about beading but I'm gonna give it a go! I just got some clear plastic string and magnetic ends to secure it together. I also got some really unique small, cube, clear spacers. Hopefully I'll feel better this afternoon so I can start my beading adventure.
#29 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 PM

lee1203 - That tightening of the uterus is BH ctx. I like getting them b/c then I can really feel the baby with my hands. Although sometimes it does give me some soreness in my ligaments.

As far as baby movements, mine are stronger and feel bigger but I don't think they are happening more often. But, remember as you are in the third tri, baby's spend most of their time sleeping so you may feel less movement. I'm sure this depends on where you are at in the third tri but it's something to keep in mind.

I just had my prenatal this morning, I'll be 32w in a couple of days and I'm measuring 31cm. My mw is guessing the baby is around 3 pounds right now which I think is kind of on the small side for me but we still have lots of time.

Tomorrow we are going to the Long Beach Aquarium b/c I'm tired of sitting around the house with nothign to do. It's a 1.5 hour drive but my kids are better when we are out and about.
#30 of 100 Old 08-05-2008, 05:58 PM

This baby has never moved much but he is definately getting stronger Much bigger pushes / movements

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page