home-birthers.. what do you plan to wear post-partum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well the title says it all..

what do you who are planning a home-birth plan to wear in the first few hrs/days post-partum?

My midwife recommends a night shirt/nursing gown of some sort?? Um I have HUGE BB's I've not seen any nursing gowns that will let these 'things' through the slits lol.

I'm wondering about a large button up night gown or something? I definitely plan to nurse so I need easy access.. but I also would like it to be semi modest in case anyone comes to visit and/or so that I won't worry about what my older kids think lol.

Any thoughts.. care to share your own plans??

Thanks,
~Rae~

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#2 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM

mostly likely just sweats and a large t-shirt...I will also wear a soft sports bra like I did with the boys....something I can sleep in comfortably and nurse easily in.
#3 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 PM

We're big on new pajamas for special occasions in this family. I always buy new, special pajamas for myself to wear postpartum. I don't even care if I bleed on them. I save them all regardless and feel all nostalgic when I wear them.
#4 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

I know it'll be mid-Sept to early October before I have this little one but I also remember tons of hot flashes post-partum and where I live things don't get 'cold' at that time of year. So I don't think I could stand sweats this time (though I did use them for my Nov birth).

Hmmmm Maybe I should find some sort of uber stretchy shorts and a t-shirt (since I don't know how much 'belly' I'll have left this time lol).

I don't know.... ugh I thought I had most everything ready for the birth then she gave me the 'list' I should have on hand in addition to her custom birth kit that I have to order .. and I feel allllllll unprepared again lol.

DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#5 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 01:26 PM

I wore a bra and underwear for the first few hours. When my inlaws showed up, I put on a stretchy night gown (i pull down and have never used nursing clothes). When I started getting up and moving around more I went to yoga pants and a cami.
#6 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 01:54 PM

not in your ddc-

I wear a J cup and the nursing/maternity pajamas work fine for me.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#7 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 PM

I have a short nightgown that has like 8 buttons down the front. I like that b/c it's easy to unbutton and nurse. I also wear a sleep bra. I like having the short nightgown b/c then I can wear pants or shorts underneath it too.
#8 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 02:53 PM

Gosh I hadn't even thought about it! I figure I'll be naked for the first few hours and will probably spend most of my time that way since I prefer being naked to clothes anyways and plan on doing lots and lots of skin to skin. But when people come over... hmm. I like the new pj idea!!!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#9 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Like Changed I always buy myself a new pair of special pjs for after the birth. I've usually just bought myself a nursing nightgown and will probably do the same this time...although I want a nicer one (not from motherhood).

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#10 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 04:07 PM

Believe it or not, the set I found is from Victoria Secret. I can't find it on their website but it's a white eyelet set with babydoll top and shorts. The top has a wide elastic band across the front and cap sleeves. It stretches to nurse in easily and it fits me snugly now so I know it'll fit when baby comes.
#11 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 04:48 PM

Barvado nursing tank and whatever soft yoga pants I can find, that way I will be in solid black or brown for pictures which will hide the weird wooby tummy.
#12 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 05:59 PM

I plan to wear yoga pants and a tank top with a shelf bra. Either that or I'm going to get a few gowns to wear.
#13 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 PM

I always just put on a nursing gown after. I don't have any right now, but want to get some shopping done soon to get at least 2 or 3 nursing gowns.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#14 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 06:12 PM

After #1 I wore a large night shirt that was low cut, so I just lifted a boob out the neck to nurse. After #2 (at home) I wore a loose fitting nursing gown. We don't really even communicate to others about the birth until we're ready for visitors... so I'm not worried about being dressed for that. I may just wear my undies for the first day since they are really comfy. By the time we tell people about the baby's birth I'm sure I'll feel fine in a loose shirt of some sort and some soft cotton pajama pants.

You do NOT have to have visitors until YOU and your family are ready for them! If you aren't good at saying no, ask a friend to bar the door for you... or ask your midwife if they have some sort of sign you could use. It's SO much better to have a REALLY quite first day to rest and be at peace (if possible).

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

#15 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I don't know when we would have 'visitors' it's easy to announce via e-mail the birth to our church friends and just include 'please no visitors right now' or put a length of time.

But family is a bit harder to put off.... I think it will help if I (AND BABY) stay in my bed/bedroom if we do have family to visit.. and I've heard that if you are in a night gown or similar they leave more quickly LOL!

But we will have at least a few hrs post-partum maybe 24 even.. before even family come over.. err at least I hope so .

So now I've been browsing eBay for gently used nursing gowns, and flipping back and forth on whether I really want nursing pj's or not lol (I usually sleep in my birth-day suit), to lounge around in. I don't know!

#16 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Whatever still fits at that point, though some things should still fit without a big watermelon in the way. I could wear a tank top and exercise pants literally the day ds was born, after he was born. Now...pfft.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#17 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 07:26 PM

Where do y'all buy your nursing gowns? That isn't too expensive. The only ones I've seen have been at Wal-Mart, and quite frankly they do not look overly inviting. Right now for pjs I'm wearing a t-shirt style nightgown bought two sizes up from usual, and I'm debating just cutting them down the middle and adding some buttons or something to make for easy nursing access.
#18 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
Where do y'all buy your nursing gowns? That isn't too expensive. The only ones I've seen have been at Wal-Mart, and quite frankly they do not look overly inviting. Right now for pjs I'm wearing a t-shirt style nightgown bought two sizes up from usual, and I'm debating just cutting them down the middle and adding some buttons or something to make for easy nursing access.
I always wear long sleeve oversized shirts to bed (until summer) and just lifted them up. The long sleevs were required to keep arms warm because I had to keep the blankets low off baby, but my shoulders and arms would get cold.
#19 of 28 Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 AM

ok so I think I'm the only one who is going to say...nothing... lol. Ok, ok, I'll wear those lovely mesh panties that come with the birth kit and some overly large pad But other than that it's going to be me curled up with the babe. I don't sleep with clothes on at night even in the winter and I don't think I'll want to do so postpartum.

I probably will buy some new jammies though... flannel with a button up shirt perhaps, to have on when my parents or close friends arrive (no one else will be at my house. Ok. midwife. she can deal with seeing boobs.) Will probably wear jammie bottoms and a t-shirt with the button up top when visitors are there or if I get chilly sitting up in bed.

But those first few hours I'm pretty sure I'll be pretty naked

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#20 of 28 Old 08-09-2008, 10:30 PM

Probably just a tank top or something simple. I'm not particularly concerned about being covered up in my own home, and I don't plan to have guests over until I'm ready for them -- which may be anywhere from one week to one month postpartum.
#21 of 28 Old 08-09-2008, 11:45 PM

I love the Majamas nursing nightgown/dress. I have one and plan on buying another. I wear these around with a little lip gloss and mascara in case a visitor pops in - and a really plush, comfy bathrobe with satin slippers

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#22 of 28 Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 PM

I'm not homebirthing, but I did buy something like this from the Motherhood outlet (mine is just purple with little flowers all over it). I've been wearing it almost every night, and I LOVE it. It's so comfy!
#23 of 28 Old 08-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
ok so I think I'm the only one who is going to say...nothing... lol. Ok, ok, I'll wear those lovely mesh panties that come with the birth kit and some overly large pad But other than that it's going to be me curled up with the babe. I don't sleep with clothes on at night even in the winter and I don't think I'll want to do so postpartum.

I probably will buy some new jammies though... flannel with a button up shirt perhaps, to have on when my parents or close friends arrive (no one else will be at my house. Ok. midwife. she can deal with seeing boobs.) Will probably wear jammie bottoms and a t-shirt with the button up top when visitors are there or if I get chilly sitting up in bed.

But those first few hours I'm pretty sure I'll be pretty naked
i am due in NOv but i too am jumping in with nothing. i also wear nothing to bed and find clothes in general to be 2nd rate compared to nakedness! even with my DS now age 7, who was born in a hospital, for 4 days i wore nothing but a nursing bra and sweatpants. so if i am in the comfort of my own home im sure i wont want to wear much. theres just so many fluids and baby poop and breastmilk everywhere clothes seem kinda pointless at first
#24 of 28 Old 08-10-2008, 07:03 PM

For the first couple days I hung out in dark yoga pants or pj pants with nursing tank tops.
#25 of 28 Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 PM

I'm not having a homebirth, but we will be birthing at the Birth Center which discharges you with in 4 hrs, so I'll be home most of the time.

I have planned on wearing a nursing gown with a nice light robe. But with my DD I just wore yoga pants and really big shirts of DH's. But, I'm just not sure this time. I really don't want visitors to feel too welcome, lol, so whatever that takes

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#26 of 28 Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 PM

Gosh, I imagine I'll just be wearing sweatpants or PJ bottoms with a Tshirt and camisole if I need it for support. That's what I wear when I want to be comfy. I seem to remember that was my stand-by outfit after DS, too, once we got home from the hospital.
#27 of 28 Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input girls..
I decided to order some nursing jammies off eBay.. we'll see if they work or not when they get here .

#28 of 28 Old 08-11-2008, 03:18 PM

We homebirthed the first 2, and did a FSBC with the last and will with this, and so since I'll be home in a few hours I thought I'd chime in. (As I tell everyone, the only difference was the car ride! lol)

With my first I did sweats and t's, and even though it was Nov in NH I was SO hot. With my next 2 I tried t's and comfy pants, but I was STILL too hot. This time I'm looking for yoga/stretchy pants and tank tops. Nightgowns - while beautiful - have always been more of an issue for me in the middle of the night: I either can't find the nursing slits or there are none and I have to pull over my head. I'm not very coordinated! LOL

As for my other kids, I have always nursed in front of my older kiddos - I want them to know that it's natural so they grow up with that mindset. I'll just lift the tank top. And when company comes? Well, if they're uncomfortable THEY can leave the room, LOL!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page