Getting things accomplished... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-16-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far in the this pregnancy October has always seemed like a million years away...but I have started to realize that I need to get stuff done and I think i'm starting to nest.

So yesterday we bought some paci's, newborn diapers, vitamin D.

Today I cleaned out the closets and chests that I have, pulled out all the baby clothes and pulled out all the new born stuff, blankets, clothes etc. (though I can't find the bib's so i'm going to have to go on a hunt though some of the older stuff....grrrr)

I feel alot more relaxed now. I still have stuff to do but it feels much better now.
#2 of 28 Old 08-16-2008, 07:19 PM

WOO HOO for getting stuff done!! I'm anxious as hell to do everything, but I need to get a few more things before I can finish it up. But we've bought diapers also and gone sorting through clothes... I have too many baby clothes, lol.

Glad you feel better for getting things accomplished

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#3 of 28 Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Yay for getting things done!! I still have a long list, but also feel so much better now that we've gotten the bulk of things done. I feel if she came now (obviously she's not ready, but say if I were 37+wks) we'd be ready enough, and that's such a huge relief! I plan to have everything that I feel is a "must" done by 35wks just so I can try to relax the last month.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#4 of 28 Old 08-17-2008, 02:41 AM

DS was a 36 weeker and we were not ready at all, so I am really feeling the need to be prepared this time. I have a huge list and a lot of it is deep cleaning, which I won't do until 35-36 weeks, but I've reorganized the closets, washed the diapers and baby clothes, bought a few miscellaneous items, and today I started sewing wipes. It feels really good to know I'm getting things done, even if it's happening slowly.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#5 of 28 Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 PM

I've gotten about half of her clothes hung (not washed, still have tags on) hung in my closet. Personally, I still need to go through the rest of her clothes and pull out any dupes and match things with receipts (all shower gifts) to return and get $$ or store credit. But I can't do that until thank you notes are done. Hopefully I'll finish that today. I want to start washing dipes and clothes, but I'm waiting on DH to finish her room. He still has to install base molding and move the office furniture upstairs before we can put her furniture in there and start decorating. Will somebody please light a fire under his butt for me?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 28 Old 08-17-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
He still has to install base molding and move the office furniture upstairs before we can put her furniture in there and start decorating. Will somebody please light a fire under his butt for me?
*grabs matches*

I still haven't done anything but buy some stuff. Bought a carseat a month ago and then decided I didn't want that one, and have yet to take it back. Still have no crib or mattress. Still have no room in our very messy room to put aforementioned crib. Last night I did about start deep cleaning our kitchen at midnight though, so maybe nesting isn't too far off?! (I didn't actually start cleaning then. I went to bed.) My plan is also to have stuff done in the next month so I don't have to worry about it the last month. In practice though? I'm sure I'll be prepping my diapers at 41 weeks. But I'm glad y'all are getting stuff done!
#7 of 28 Old 08-17-2008, 02:35 PM

Well, my Dh finally hung the shelving we'll be using for diapers/clothes/blankets/accessories, so now I can start putting stuff on them! And I've got my meager diaper collection there now! I'm still waiting on the baby shower to buy the bulk of the things we need (in 3 weeks) but I am getting the nesting bug finally. Last night I woke up at about 1 am wanting to try the luvybum covers on the kissaluv fitted to make sure they worked together! I didn't get out of bed, but still. I'm also realizing there ARE things I can buy before the babyshower, like little baskets and organizer stuff.

I think I'll be like Lee in the end though!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#8 of 28 Old 08-17-2008, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm actually well on my way. But I'm not bragging, I think it's cause this is the first and I was very excited, and I started "nesting" and prepping before I even got a positive on my PT.

The nursery is pretty much together. I wouldn't have the crib and wardrobe for her if I hadn't had it given to me though. The kidlet already has so much clothes and other stuff she isn't really in need of much, though I'll be buying her a few more things come the end of September when we have a bit of a windfall. I've also already applied for Miracle Diapers as well as getting my own CDs mostly together.

Seriously, I've been tempted to pack my hospital bag and get homebirthing gear together but it's a bit soon. (We want to labor at home as much as possible and then move to the hospital, barring any problems. I'm perfectly okay having her at home too but want my bases covered.)
#9 of 28 Old 08-18-2008, 12:04 AM

Today I took back the carseat I no longer wanted, bought some bins for putting baby's clothes in, and also bought some more washcloths to use as wipes and a couple of pairs of mittens.

Oh! And I cleaned the kitchen.

That so totally counts as an accomplishment, right?!
#10 of 28 Old 08-18-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
Today I took back the carseat I no longer wanted, bought some bins for putting baby's clothes in, and also bought some more washcloths to use as wipes and a couple of pairs of mittens.

Oh! And I cleaned the kitchen.

That so totally counts as an accomplishment, right?!

Totally counts!! Gotta be done before baby comes, right?

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#11 of 28 Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM

well i got a chair recovered that has been waiting since September of last year. so yay for that. i looks so good i wish i hadn't waited so long. now i just need to fix the rocker on it.

i finally made an actual list of things i want to get done so i think that is an accomplishment in and of itself.
#12 of 28 Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM

Thanks, Lee!! The matches worked! Baby's room now has base molding! It looks fabulous!

Today I really should finish writing the thank you notes. I know, I've been going on and on about this for a few days. I have more than half done, it's just those last few that are gnawing at me.

Good job everybody on all the stuff they got done! Lets keep it going!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#13 of 28 Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Thanks, Lee!! The matches worked! Baby's room now has base molding! It looks fabulous!
Yea! Glad to be of service. :

Today I was gonna work on laundry, but went shopping instead. On the plus side, I did take the few minutes required to wipe countertops, load dishwasher, etc. that will KEEP my kitchen clean. This is big for me, I'm such a crap housekeeper.

Tomorrow - laundry, and organizing the baby clothes I have so they can be washed too! :
#14 of 28 Old 08-19-2008, 01:35 AM

Jeez Lee, you're gonna leave me in the dust! Harumph!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#15 of 28 Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM

We've gotten a bit done. Our nursery room is now cleaned out and ready to be started on. it will probably be done over the next 2 weekends. This past weekend I washed all the baby clothes from NB to 6 months. I have prepped our prefolds and am waiting on the rest to receive a shipment or two next week. I bought a dozen KL0s at the outlet today, so our newborn diaper stash is done - we just have to start on the smalls. Our house is still not finished in regards to the renovating (it may never be) but we do have all the main living areas back to clean and functionable as living areas, which is a HUGE relief. Our first home visit from the midwives is next Wednesday, and we just need to shampoo the carpet this weekend. There are a few more baby things to buy that we didn't get through our shower, and then, I think we're ready... or at least as ready as we can be.

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#16 of 28 Old 08-20-2008, 12:08 PM

well i got my plan for the nursery paint down colors picked out and waiting for payday to buy it.

and i got the clothes from DD sorted in to unigender and size waiting to be washed and put away. which will hapen after the painting is done.
#17 of 28 Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 PM

I mangaged to put almost everything away from our shower which feels good because there's actually baby stuff in the nursery now! I'm waiting for the crib to arrive and to get a toy box so I can finish assembling everything and put away the toys we've gotten. And, my Mom is working on a new wall hanging for us so I don't want to hang any of the other paintings (lots!) until that one is done and the crib is up. I also need to have my rocker/recliner reupholstered.
#18 of 28 Old 08-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Wow, I'm so in awe. Everybody seems so motivated, it's just great! I've got my birth pool (arrived today) & a new sling. And I've scheduled each weekend w/ specific stuff to get done, like go through DD's old clothes and wash all the NB stuff, go couch shopping, pack transfer bag & test birth pool. I'm actually due Sept 30th but I come here too since my EDD is so close to October. I just keep reminding myself that I still have 2.5 more weeks until week 37, which is my "green light" day for labor and still be able to be home. That is kinda my goal for having most of the stuff done so I can relax.

On second thought I may not get it all done by 37 weeks.....time flies.
#19 of 28 Old 08-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Another crap housekeeper reporting in- see Lee? you have company!

But- I did scour sink/toilet/tub yesterday, and DH is largely in charge of the Kitchen except for the floor.

We still need to clean our bedroom, and air out the cosleeper, and put it back up. I have almost all of the clothes washed and in one place, except the few 'new' things I picked up at a thrift store.

My friend is loaning me her infant prefolds, which I'll need to wash, and I need to wash the carousel covers I have. I've bought most of what we'll need, but I think I'll still buy a pack of swaddlers, extra wipes, and a nuk before October arrives.

Ooohhh crap. . . NURSING CLOTHES!!!! HOW could I have forgotten those??!! Sigh... now I have a whole new list to work on. . .grrr :

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#20 of 28 Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
Another crap housekeeper reporting in- see Lee? you have company!
YEA! : This makes me happy. (I'm trying to ignore the state of my bathroom right now. It's not filthy or unhealthy or anything, but it needs some work for sure.)

And, get this y'all - my kitchen is STILL CLEAN. Three whole days later! Mind, I haven't really cooked all that much in it , but I've spent a few minutes every day dealing with whatever dishes and keeping things wiped down. I know that's not what this thread is about, but I'm so proud of myself.

I've also put up about 3 loads of laundry, but didn't get to the baby stuff. Realized I have tons more of our clothes to do before I can wash the itty-bitty clothes without guilt. So Amber, don't worry too much about being left behind!
#21 of 28 Old 08-21-2008, 03:40 PM

Oh, see, THAT's why my laundry is so backed up! I went and did the itty bitty stuff FIRST!!

I couldn't resist!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#22 of 28 Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Reviving this thread so I can keep track of my progress. I am not nesting (nesting comes with energy, from what I hear but I am freaking out that I'm considered full-term in two days and I am very far from prepared. So today I decided that on days I work I'll just worry about keeping the kitchen picked up and doing a load of laundry, and the days I don't I'll do one big room/area of my house. Last will be cleaning/vacuuming/steam cleaning all the floors. Right now our closet is clean and organized, and the master bath is almost clean (got all tired out right before starting on the sink). Our floor plan kinda spirals out, so over the course of the next week and a half or so I should just be able to follow that and get all the rooms clean. Well, except for my husband's office. He has so much clutter in there I'm afraid to go in. Gotta love keeping doors closed. Oh! And baby-wise I've started to prep my diapers, just need to get a few more washes in. And after my husband gets the car detailed this weekend (there's a TON of dog fur all over the place) we'll mess around with the carseat. I also need to pack my bag for the birthcenter. But it all seems much more manageable now that I have a plan.

Wow, I can ramble, can't I?
#23 of 28 Old 09-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Sounds like a good plan, lee1203.

I have gone crazy with food prep, and since my freezer is almost full, I guess I am done with that part. I need to do the deep cleaning now. I am going to focus on that tomorrow-- you know that good stuff that never gets done (in my house at least) like vaccuming the blinds, etc.

I just got my soapnuts in the mail yesterday, and the dryer just rang with my first load finished (clothesline is still not up). I'll see how I like them on another load before I start washing baby stuff. Babyshower on Saturday will hopefully not contribute too much to my laundry load or drawers, for that matter.
#24 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 PM

We got everything deep cleaned and beautiful right before our home visit. Now, things have slid backwards a little. Garrin changed jobs and added on some extra things so we have a bit of extra cash, so he is gone more. And I am huge and don't have a lot of energy. *g* I'm going to make it my goal to get something done in the hour or two every night before he gets home from work. This weekend everyone is going to be gone to San Antonio visiting the newest member of our family (I can't believe I don't get to go and meet my niece!!!). While everyone's gone, we plan on doing another deep clean on the house to get everything ready for the birth and the baby. I've started freaking out the past few days, knowing our little guy could be here any time now.

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#25 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 01:41 PM

Well seeing this thread inspired me to re-make my list to see what we've gotten done and what we need to get done still. We've still got tons to do! I was surprised because it felt like we were so on top of things, but I guess not. LOL.

I've been doing well in keeping up with general house cleaning, laundry, etc. But coming home from work, cooking, and cleaning are wearing on me and I just don't seem to have the energy to do the other stuff that needs to get done. But maybe seeing my list and what everyone else is accomplishing will inspire me!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#26 of 28 Old 09-19-2008, 10:51 AM

Okay, I have one more soup to make (split pea-- our traditional Halloween soup) and then I'm done! There is very little room left in there. I've been focusing almost exclusively on the food prep, as I wanted to wait until after the baby shower to wash baby clothes/organize the changing table. So, now I have deep cleaning and organizing left, oh and scrapbooking. I might even be able to get in a little kitchen/decor planning for my new house. I can't believe it's so close!
#27 of 28 Old 09-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Seems like no matter what I do to the baby's room, it's still sort of a mess. Right now there's a crib in there, with bedding, and a dresser, and a glider that I borrowed from a friend, and a lamp. Plus some art on the wall. And the closet is reasonably sorted. And the baby clothes are washed and clean. My sil came a couple weeks ago to help paint the room, and she made a huge mess of the trim on the ceiling and got some paint spots on the floor. It looks awful, but no one has the energy to fix it, and it doesn't seem worth it to hire professionals. It bugs me every time I go in that room, though.

I still have to mop the baby's room, sort out one closet in the hallway, install the carseat, install some fixtures in the bathroom, keep up on all the other cleaning/chores....but we're in pretty good shape. I am tentatively scheduled for an induction on 9/30 (due to gestational diabetes). So we have another week and a half....yikes!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#28 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 11:22 PM

Bumping again. Today I started to work on our bedroom in earnest (which I was gonna do two days ago, oops ), and I'm so happy with the bit of it that's clean. Which is maybe just a 1/4 of it. I'm a slow worker. Anyway, I got the pack and play set up, which is what baby will have to sleep in until we get a crib (waiting to hear from parents!). It's kinda fun walking into the room and seeing it there. Oh! And I need to run just two more loads of diapers, then a load of miscellaneous baby stuff (diaper covers, socks, etc.) and I'll be ready to pack my bag for the birth center. I still have a ton of stuff to do, but at least *some* of it is getting done!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page