Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby's Name: Jasper Deven
Birthdate & Time: 10/18/2008 9:01 a.m.
EDD: 10/20/08
Weight: 6 pounds 6 ounces
Length: 20 inches
Labor Lasted How Long: From first contraction to emergency c-section, 30 hours.

Link to pictures: photo page and on my blog (link in signature)
Any other news you want to share:
We prepared for a natural hypnobirth with midwives but my labor did not go as expected. My water broke first and even though I was in labor and having contrax, they were still 4-5 minutes apart rather than 2-3.
Finally after 19 hours of labor, I agreed to some Pitocin and an Epidural to help me dilate as I was only at 4 cm. and with my water having been broken for so long, the hospital's policy was to draw baby's blood to test for infection after 24 hours w/ water broken. I decided it was better for me to get stuck with a needle than to have the baby suffer.

The epidural was amazing for me...relaxed me and took just the edge off of the surges yet I could still feel everything.
Finally, baby descended, was at +2 station in the birth canal and I was fully dilated and pushing. They lost the baby's heartbeat.
It was a few minutes of panic and they gave me oxygen to help get it up.
It came back at a measly 60 bpm and then they lost it again.
I was so scared he wouldn't make it.
The nurse hit the code blue infant button and because it was during the shift change, no one was really coming.
She ran out into the hall and called out "Get me a doctor! An intern...anyone!"
That killed me and made me realize how serious it was.
Dr. P was the OB on call and he came in. They discussed setting up an ultrasound to look at the baby and also suctioning him out as he was way down in the canal already.
He came over to me and explained that since it had been over 7 minutes with this awful heart rate thing that he didn't want to chance it and he wanted to get me into the OR and prep me for a c-section.
I agreed with everything and was calm on the outside but inside I was so so scared. I felt like I was on an episode of a Discovery Channel ER show.
I went from my dimly lit cozy birthing room with oils diffusing to a stark white fluorescent operating room.
It was surreal.
Matt wasn't there. I looked around for him as they prepped me. Later I found out he was in the bathroom crying b/c he was so scared for me and the baby. He came in though and stood at my side. My midwife was on the other side holding my hand.
They pulled him out and he cried right away...very hearty cries. His Apgars were a 9 after 5 minutes.
Matt cut the cord and they delayed the eye ointment so we could bond with him. He was brought over to me and was crying but stopped right when he heard my voice.
In recovery, he was laid on my chest and ate right away.
I did have a complication of a pocket of fluid forming underneath my stitches which caused my stitches to come open in the middle. It took 12 weeks of home health nurse daily visits to heal...no sex, no baths or exercise.
But I am healed now, scar is small and very low and healing away.
Baby is worth it.
We love him to bits.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 01-28-2009, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to thank all you mamas for posting birth stories! I've read them all and enjoyed every one of them, great experience or not. It makes me already excited about the next time I get to go through it all again.

User Tag List