~*Weekly Chit Chat Thread Aug 25-31*~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I am joining pretty late in the game here. But I just got back from Michigan!

Family threw us baby showers this weekend, so we traveled up there on Friday and came back yesterday. It was so fun. I loved seeing our family since we hadn't see anyone except MIL & FIL since Christmas. It was hard to leave.

We got so much STUFF. I have no clue what we're going to do with it all. My Dad got us a car top carrier for a "guy" gift and if we didn't have that we wouldn't have been able to take 1/2 of the baby supplies we received. The baby clothes are so cute, I can't wait to wash them and organize them and dress our little one when he gets here.

The drive was HORRIBLE!!!!!! It 13 hours one way and my back is killing me! I have a gift card for a massage I was planning to get, but I'm begining to wonder if a chiropracter wouldn't be a better idea. I'm in so much pain.

This week I am 31 weeks and have 5 1/2 more weeks of work. I will be so glad when my job is over with.

Other than the back pain it has been a great week. I hope everyone else's week finishes off well!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#62 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Thanks Bailey! But, unfortunately, been there done that. I actually bought one of those when I acquired the chair 5 years ago and it didn't fit so I sent it back. I was totally bummed. I wish it could be that easy!
#63 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM

Aww man, really? I hate the leather on our recliner... but it's so comfy to nurse in.
#64 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 PM

I know! This chair is quite possibly the most comfy chair I've ever sat in because it's been well-loved and it's a Lazy Boy. I'm so excited to have it to nurse in. It was my Grandfather's, bought new in 1988 and he passed in 1998 (we were VERY close) and my Mom got it and then I got it when my Mom changed the layout of her living space. This chair has quite a few memories. If worn out fabric is what I have to deal with, then so be it. I just thought it would be nice to have it reupholstered to make it look new. I'll take another look at the Sure Fit site to see if maybe they've made any changes since the one I bought in 2003 though. The problem I ran into with it is it doesn't fit the leg rest part at all. It was way too short for that and way too big for the rest of the chair.
#65 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
LOL! No offense, but I'm glad it was you that was off, and not me, 'cause going backwards a week at this point would have SUCKED!

With regards to the belly, I keep forgetting that I can no longer turn sideways in order to squish through tight spaces. Makes me feel real bright when I whack myself into something.
glad to be of comfort! I agree, it would have bitten big time!

I keep forgetting I am now wider sideways, than straight on, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
MF -

AAM: So, I read class #2 in my Hypnobabies workbook last night. Now I'm paranoid into thinking I'm developing toxemia. I am really going to concentrate on upping my protein intake and making sure I'm eating right. The swelling I've been having in my feet and hands is really sudden, and just this overall oogie feeling is so craptastic that maybe something is up. My urine hasn't been showing any proteins and my bp is perfectly fine, so I don't think I'm in immediate danger, but I also know that I haven't been eating enough protein. It can't hurt to try at this point. I just feel so awful lately and maybe this has something to do with it?
Don't panic! My hands and my NOSE (??) have swelled amjorly in the past two weeks. Who knows? Upping your protein will certainly do you no harm, but add some salt and water, too. Protein takes a bit more energy for your body to process! Seriously, if your BP is good, no worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doula View Post

AAM:
Today I have dedicated to cleaning my whole house! I have tons of motivation, but not sure if I have the energy to match it! My dd's 2nd Birthday is on Friday and we are having my family and a close set of friends come over so I want to make sure the house looks great!
Hah! Come clean my house, pretty please? :

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#66 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Well, I'm getting in to the thread late this week! I'll have to go back and re-read everything, my head feels scrambled from reading 3+ pages already. I can't believe we're all in the 30's - it's getting so close!

AAM: Had our MW appointment today and I was certain she was going to be really upset that I hadn't done the 3-hour GTT, since she's the most 'medical' of the MWs in the group. Nope, instead she really listened to me and was very understanding of how sick the one-hour test made me (triggered a two-week long IBS episode, lovely). She said instead of the regular fasting-then-drink-100-grams-of-nasty-sugar-junk three hour test, she'd like me to do a more standard test - fasting level draw, eat breakfast, then a two-hour level. If I don't pass that, we'll just go straight to daily testing or tweak my diet a little. She doesn't think I'll have to change much in my diet, more or less just change HOW I'm eating (more frequent/regular intervals, which is hard with the IBS). She's really disappointed in my breakfasts - I am not eating nearly enough. Sometimes it's all I can get down though. Mornings are bad.

Starting to feel a bit more of the nesting urge. I'm trying to delegate as much of the heavy cleaning/lifting to DH and he's being a real trooper about it. He's keeping the bathrooms really nice and clean for me, which are suddenly bothering me if they smell the slightest bit icky -- not too hard with a 5 y.o. DS! We're getting ready for a neighborhood-wide garage sale next month, so he's been bringing in the bins of baby clothes and things so we can decide what to keep and what to sell. DH is an only child and the oldest grandchild on both of his parents' sides, so DS was completely spoiled with clothing and toys and supplies. I'm sure people coming to the sale will wonder why a pregnant lady is selling so much baby stuff!

And the last bit of news for the week - DS is now officially in full-day school. Kindergarten started on Monday, and DH is taking it pretty hard. He works the evening shift, so we didn't have to worry about daycare for DS, but now it means he gets so little time with DS. Just getting him ready for school in the mornings and picking him up in the afternoons. DH is really bummed, he's been moping around all week. DS, on the other hand, LOVES school. When he was diagnosed with Asperger's, we made the difficult decision NOT to home-school, hoping the more intense socialization and (free, through the district) extra therapy would help him. Boy, has it! He still has speech therapy once a week, but that's it. I am so glad we moved here from IL, the district we were in was horrible and I know we wouldn't have received nearly the services we are getting here. It is such a blessing.

Whew! That was long. I was very wordy this week.
#67 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
My hands and my NOSE (??) have swelled amjorly in the past two weeks.
My nose always spreads in the last weeks of pg. It was really noticeable with my first because I swelled like crazy. DH didn't believe me, but I could see it and then when my brother came to visit he was all, "Your nose looks narrower!" Thanks brother! I didn't swell until the very end with #2 and I haven't had any swelling at all with this baby, but it's still happening. My face gets redder too--I always look really pale for the first few weeks after I give birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarie930 View Post
And the last bit of news for the week - DS is now officially in full-day school. Kindergarten started on Monday
How's he doing with it? My little guy started on the 18th and he's been SOOO grouchy in the evenings and Friday night last week was a nightmare. This weeks been a little better, but he's already developed a case of the sniffles. I hope he won't be sick all winter. Aside from the fact that I just hate for him to be sick, I also don't want it because of my 3 yo and the newborn!

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#68 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 PM

Tiger Liliy- You make me feel better! I literally thought I was the only one whose nose swells up when preggo! It stays swollen for a few weeks afterwards, too!

I'm really pale the first weeks after birth too!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#69 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
How's he doing with it? My little guy started on the 18th and he's been SOOO grouchy in the evenings and Friday night last week was a nightmare. This weeks been a little better, but he's already developed a case of the sniffles. I hope he won't be sick all winter. Aside from the fact that I just hate for him to be sick, I also don't want it because of my 3 yo and the newborn!
Well, DS got sick the week BEFORE school started, so hopefully he won't pick up anything for at least another month or so. He's actually doing pretty well, all things considered. Definitely a bit more of a grouch, especially in the morning, but he absolutely loves going to school. It's the structure and schedule of it all - it's just what he needs. I think it also helps that he's been going to this same school for 3 hours a day the last two years for the district's PPCD (Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities). Granted, it started at 11:45AM then, so we weren't dealing with mornings, but it's not like the school is strange to him. The first year was definitely hard though. Hope your DS doesn't get anything more than a minor case of sniffles!
#70 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
My nose always spreads in the last weeks of pg. It was really noticeable with my first because I swelled like crazy. DH didn't believe me, but I could see it
My nose gets fat looking too...it's kind of embarrassing.
#71 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 PM

Hey fellow mamas,

I've been having some pretty intense BHX in the early evening, sometimes several in a row. If I lay/sit down, they go away, but when I get back up, they start back up.

I don't remember things being this intense with DS. Any other 2nd/3rd/etc timers BTDT?

Having one now. . . .mild, barely recongizable though.

I have a MW appt Friday. . .

Niemals Gewalt
#72 of 107 Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Yep, I did that with both of mine. My OB last time said if they stop when you sit/lay down then they're not worrisome. They can be a sign that you're dehydrated though, so you might have something to drink.

With my first especially, I'd have 1-2 hr episodes of regular BHCs. I did that for weeks before he was actually born.

And I hate to sound like one of those obnoxious women that says, "Oh, you'll KNOW". . . but really, there's a HUGE difference between BHCs and labor contrax for most people.

HTH!

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#73 of 107 Old 08-28-2008, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
Hey fellow mamas,

I've been having some pretty intense BHX in the early evening, sometimes several in a row. If I lay/sit down, they go away, but when I get back up, they start back up.

I don't remember things being this intense with DS. Any other 2nd/3rd/etc timers BTDT?

Having one now. . . .mild, barely recongizable though.

I have a MW appt Friday. . .
I'm having my third and am at 35w tomorrow and I get them too...uncomfortable ones, somewhat painful actually. I think it's pretty normal.... for me anyway. Hope you hold the baby a bit longer.
#74 of 107 Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Yep me too. A nice warm bath and into bed with a bottle of water and some chocolate seems to help.
#75 of 107 Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedak View Post

Moral of the story--don't lose hope! Hopefully he'll return when he gets hungry!
I caught him yesterday morning. Well, "caught" being a relative term. More like he just let me pick him up. And then the little prick peed on the laundry this morning. And whined to go back out on the balcony. So I've got half a mind to let him stay out there as long as I supply him with food and water. I wish I lived in the country so he could be a barn cat, as he's obviously happier outside at this point in his life.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#76 of 107 Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 AM

: Yay! I'm glad he came back! But I'm sorry he's being a twit : I'm usually not a proponent of outdoor cats, but he might actually be much happier outside! As long as he's fully vaccinated and neutered (since cats don't have the sense to, you know, not have promiscuous sex and to not share infected materials), and since it might be better for his mental health, you might want to consider it. Maybe installing a kitty door so he can go in and out whenever he likes would be a decent idea...I looked at them at PetSmart, and I think they were like $35 each.
#77 of 107 Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 PM

Well, I had to go to my appt. alone today At least I got the tech that is better than the rest of em. Now I go back in next Tuesday : And they still list me as being 35 w instead of 34. Dumbasses.

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#78 of 107 Old 08-28-2008, 03:12 PM

Just a drive-by posting: to say hello from up here in Mammoth Lakes!
I had a MW visit a few hours before we left and made sure it was ok.
She told me to take it slow, indulge with as many naps as I need and to expect a bit of a headache.
It felt good to have Baby J checked on before leaving- he sounded great and head is definitely down and my weight gain is on track- 17 pounds now total.

It was a 6 1/2 hour drive up but we took it slowly- lots of bathroom stops, I brought along my spot pillows for the ride, drank heaps of water, iced my hips down at one point, slept in Bishop (halfway point for elevation 4000 to prevent feeling sick) where DH got a room with a jacuzzi in it just for me since we got there too late to be able to get in the pool. That helped big time plus brought our humidifier and my birthing ball.
I felt kinda breathless the first night but honestly, was expecting worse.
Got here yesterday late morning and we checked in...we are staying at the main ski resort's inn right at the foot of the mountain where the lifts (for skiing in winter) and gondolas (for touring/hiking/mountain biking) go up and it is stunning of course! We thankfully have a pool and jacuzzi both of which I have already indulged in and a kingsize bed with silky sheets and heaps of pillows for my wonky hips.
I did a bit of a dumb goof yesterday It was my idea to take the gondolas up to the top of the mountain where there is a restaurant to eat lunch at...in my mind, I thought we were going up from 8000 feet to 9000.
Nope.
It was more like 11,000+. Eeps. I got so super dizzy and swoony despite the gorgeous scenery so we bolted our lunch down and came back down.
I went back to the inn and we swam a bit and then I crashed with a headache.
I feel pretty good today and am so glad we decided to come up. Headache is gone and somehow, my cankles up here have subsided which is wonderful.
Today is is a late Mexican lunch then some swimming then a dinner thing.
Tomorrow gonna go out to Devil's Postpile and do some very light walking/looking around.
Its cool to be here and have a wee lil babymoon though...we found out we were pregnant here (1st trimester), got married up here in May (2nd trimester) and now are back before the birth (3rd trimester). It feels full-circle.
Hope everyone is gonna have a nice and lazy long weekend...

MommaFox: glad to hear the cat is back!

Heidi: I have had those too before. When we had our last earthquake, I had to keep prone else they would kick back in. Resting with relaxing music really helped me. ((hugs))

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#79 of 107 Old 08-28-2008, 03:49 PM

Glad everyone is doing well! I just thought I'd pop in and try to keep up since I've got loads of time on my hands this afternoon!

MF - glad the kitty came home! Even if he is being a fresh cat, I'm sure he's glad to have his family back!

Triple - Sorry the appt wasn't great, hang in there! They are dumbasses.

Orchidez - Sounds like a fun trip! I'm so glad you're having a good time!

AAM - I'm sure you guys read in my other thread that I'm home on bedrest today and tomorrow. I just hope everything is okay. As uncomfortable as I've been, this little girl needs more time to cook, so I'm really hoping that the test comes back negative and I get to stay pregnant for at least another 3 weeks. If I make it longer, then I'll be even happier!

I think it's stress at work that is really getting to me. I'm sort of happy that I was basically told, "Do not go to work," because otherwise I would have gone in, and probably overworked myself and stressed out even more, and who knows what could have happened. Now I get a nice long weekend, and I'm off Tuesday as well. As long as things come back negative, then I'll go back to work next Wed-Fri and see how I feel about working 1 more week after that.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#80 of 107 Old 08-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Mammas! I did have some BHX when I was PG with DS, but I don't remember them being this powerful, or this long. Labor CTRX did not hurt with him, so I'm relying main ly on the fact that there's no bloody show yet, and these are prob only 30 secs max. And they go away!

janasmama- Thanks for your description, I think it might be normal for me too! I KNOW I didn't overdo it today so far, so when I sat down at the computer, adn had two ctrx, I thought, OK, my body's going to do this anyway!

My mom reminded me that two out of the three of us were at least ten days early, so maybe I should be prepared for 4-5 weeks instead of 6-7! If she's right, I better get crackin' on the housework!

Niemals Gewalt
#81 of 107 Old 08-28-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

OrchideZ - I'm so jealous! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.
#82 of 107 Old 08-29-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
OrchideZ - I'm so jealous! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.
Aww, I wish you could click your heels and be here too! We could grab some tasty nachos together at that cafe! (yes, its only 10 am and I am craving nachos! )

Here is us riding up the gondola to above 11,000 feet

That reservoir down below us is the halfway mark up the mountain...what was I thinking?
I definitely had to rest up after that but yes, this babymoon was a swell idea.

We will be doing Devil's Postpile tomorrow am, looks like.
Yesterday was me resting up and catching my breath with some pool lounging thrown in and a nice organic dinner at this restaurant down in the village.
It is hard for me to complain about altitude when the skies are so impossibly blue with fluffy white clouds.

Here's to wishing everyone a laid-back & fun weekend.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#83 of 107 Old 08-29-2008, 03:54 PM

What a beautiful sight OrchideZ! And, you're absolutely glowing in that pic!

AAM: Today was my last step class until after baby! YAY! I only have 2 more weeks of my 2 weight training classes and then no more. Today is the first day I've felt tired of being pg. I'm not uncomfortable or anything, I'm just tired of being fat and I'm anxious to meet our LO! I miss my waistline. : Hopefully I'll go back to enjoying being pg tomorrow. I've noticed my moods and feelings changing more frequently lately so I'm sure it's just that.

We're going to the Mizzou vs. Illinois game this weekend. YAY for the start of college football! We're also going to stop and see my Dad, stepmom, and sister on our way home (they live about 3.5 hrs away). I saw my Dad a month ago but I haven't seen my stepmom or sister for a full year!

Have a wonderful, safe long weekend ladies!
#84 of 107 Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Tara, sounds like a fun weekend planned! Glad you're still feeling pretty good overall. It's tough not feeling comfy and being tired all the time (take it from someone who knows, lol). Have fun seeing your family, too!

Not sure what this weekend will bring since I'm still taking it easy. Hopefully DH can get the breezeway done and move the office furniture upstairs so we can get the crib and changing table into the baby's room. I think with the "scare" this week, DH might have a little more motivation to get things done. Baby will make it 7-10 more days, which isn't very long in the great scheme of things.

Watch I go to 42 weeks or something, even after all of this! That would really just be the icing on the cake that is this pregnancy!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#85 of 107 Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

OrchideZ - What were you thinking!? You do look absolutely beautiful.

Carrie - So that is what the HCP's say... 7-10 more days for the baby? Wow! I do hope the baby will stay a bit longer but hopefully not til 42w, huh?

I had to take DS (19months) to the ped today...what an annoying visit. He started having a meltdown in the tiny room after we had already been waiting an hour! Anyways, I finally had to come to terms with his health and start giving him inhaled steroids. I didn't want to believe I needed to give them to him but at this point I'm sure the benefits are going to outweigh the side effects.
#86 of 107 Old 08-29-2008, 07:48 PM

I need to whine. I had an OB appointment this morning. I half asleep worried all night long about blood pressure, weight gain... I guess my big fears. I woke up early had a cup of coffee and a bottle of water (about 25 ounces) and some granola. The coffee was a bad idea so I figured the water would balance things out. Anyway, I started out having one of those days... I just felt anxious about nothing all day. My BP was a little higher than it has been and although I know that's from the anxiety, it just made me feel worse. Then she said that although she's certain baby is head down I'm measuring 31 now (at 34 weeks). 2 weeks ago I was at 33. She ordered an ultrasound for next week to make sure his growth and fluids are normal. She assured me that he's dropped and his head was not wiggly anymore and that was the reason... I don't know why but today this all feels like a big deal and it's getting to me. Hopefully next week we can go back to uneventful-see-you-next-week stuff.
#87 of 107 Old 08-29-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Changed - Sorry you had a bad day...I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

I definitely think my baby has dropped...I can feel a round pulge in my pubic area that wasn't there before. And I've been having lots of stronger BH's even when I drink a lot of water and rest.
#88 of 107 Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 PM

Changed, I'm sorry you're feeling so anxious lately. That's not a fun way to spend your days. I'm sure your measuring was just off because of baby changing positions or something of the sort. I'll be sending you baby-growing vibes. Take care mama.
#89 of 107 Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
Carrie - So that is what the HCP's say... 7-10 more days for the baby? Wow! I do hope the baby will stay a bit longer but hopefully not til 42w, huh?

I had to take DS (19months) to the ped today...what an annoying visit. He started having a meltdown in the tiny room after we had already been waiting an hour! Anyways, I finally had to come to terms with his health and start giving him inhaled steroids. I didn't want to believe I needed to give them to him but at this point I'm sure the benefits are going to outweigh the side effects.
Well, the negative FFn test puts us in the clear for at least that long. I'm still thinking she'll be early, but like I said, famous last words...

Sorry about your kiddo, hope he feels better soon! Maybe you mentioned this already but what are the inhalers for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
I need to whine. I had an OB appointment this morning. I half asleep worried all night long about blood pressure, weight gain... I guess my big fears. I woke up early had a cup of coffee and a bottle of water (about 25 ounces) and some granola. The coffee was a bad idea so I figured the water would balance things out. Anyway, I started out having one of those days... I just felt anxious about nothing all day. My BP was a little higher than it has been and although I know that's from the anxiety, it just made me feel worse. Then she said that although she's certain baby is head down I'm measuring 31 now (at 34 weeks). 2 weeks ago I was at 33. She ordered an ultrasound for next week to make sure his growth and fluids are normal. She assured me that he's dropped and his head was not wiggly anymore and that was the reason... I don't know why but today this all feels like a big deal and it's getting to me. Hopefully next week we can go back to uneventful-see-you-next-week stuff.
What a day! I'm sure your measurements are off b/c of position - babies don't normally shrink, right? I'm sure he just dropped. My baby is so far down in my pelvis I feel like she's going to fall out sometimes. Still, hope tomorrow is a brighter day - for many of us.

#90 of 107 Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 PM

Thanks everyone. I have had some minor swelling in my hands and feet the past few days and I guess that just got me feeling more pregnant and worried. I know it's normal and I've been so lucky to avoid it until now.

Carrie- I guess in theory the fluid levels could be decreased making me measure smaller? I don't think that's even remotely possible for me though because I've been drinking at LEAST 150 ounces a day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page