Weekly Chit Chat 9/7 - 9/13 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
ive already looked at Britax's guidelines. the car door where ds was sitting (behind me) was hit, so it does need to be replaced. im just annoyed that GEICO doesnt make ppl aware.

does anyone remember me saying last week not to install your car seat too early b/c you could end up in an accident? how ironic huh? (said w/ rolling eyes). I actually had a babe in the seat but it was the new baby seat.
That's funny. . . I have Geico too and they were the ones who *insisted* I get a new carseat. Like I said, though, it's CA law (not sure where you are). I thought it was law pretty much everywhere now. Maybe it depends on the agent.

I DID remember someone saying that last week--I hadn't realized it was you! Seriously ironic!

Tara--I take a bath every night. We have a BIG tub in our master bath and it feels so good to be buoyant, .

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 04:57 PM

^I'm jealous! I wish I had a big tub! I feel like I can't get enough water in our normal sized tub to really get comfy. I'm still going to try though....that bath sounds amazing. I've been cleaning today and I know I'm going to need to relax later.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Neveryoumindthere I'm sorry your going through this with your back up midwife, hopefully your normal one will come back and be able to ease your fears!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post

And the wierdest/coolest thing happened last night. I was lying in the bathtub watching the "show" in my belly, when I noticed it was pulsating. :
That sounds pretty neat! I can see my belly jump when Christopher has the hiccups! It is so cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
^I'm jealous! I wish I had a big tub! I feel like I can't get enough water in our normal sized tub to really get comfy. I'm still going to try though....that bath sounds amazing. I've been cleaning today and I know I'm going to need to relax later.
We are very lucky in the fact that our apartment has a huge master tub!! I just need to use it more, its just been too hot, but now that it is cooling down a bit I wouldn't mind using it more!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
Old 09-11-2008, 05:29 PM

Well today has been a good day over all! I finally had a great nights sleep last night!! I'm not sure if it is the bazillion gallons of water I drank or what but I'm feeling 100x's better today!

Lailah and I went to My Gym this morning and she had a blast!! We don't go often, even though we have the membership, so it was a nice little treat Then I swung by Bosom Buddies and picked up the replacement tubing for my Breast pump and we had lunch out. Now I'm back home and am going to get to work on packing my BC bag and finish up the sewing that I have left to do; burp cloths, hoot hider, chux pads and dd's duvet cover!

If I have time and energy left I will work on cleaning the house some more!!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:42 PM

::

I'm still so jazzed to be dilated 1 cm!! I cannot WAIT to have this baby!!

::

I realized though that if I'm already dilating I really should have a pediatrician lined up for that first visit. I re-listened to my voicemail and my pg brain apparently heard it wrong, so I've got an appt for next Friday (19th, not the 18th, duh) Cross your fingers that the baby stays in that long. Chris says I'm not allowed to give birth before then anyway b/c next Thursday is his last day of work and he cannot, under any ideal circumstances, leave work earlier than that.

Did I mention Chris quit his job? He accepted a new position at Rutgers University (where he currently works) in a different department closer to home (yay) with more money! Bonus! Even better bonus? His last day is next Thursday (like I said) and his first day at his new job? The last week of OCTOBER! Woo hoo! Guess who's daddy is going to be home for nearly a MONTH! I am so pleased with this arrangement, it could NOT have worked out better.

Okay, now I need to get up off my tush and do the dishes. BBL!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM

Carrie! You've just got all kinds of great news! How awesome that Chris's job change is going to coincide so nicely with the birth!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 PM

I get to share good news now too! The little girl I told you all about, Deliah.....she's going home with her adoptive parents today! Her birth mom finally decided she's not the best thing for Deliah and contacted the family that adopted her first born little girl (she's 4 now). They were thrilled and have been in town now working on transitioning Deliah into their family for almost 2 weeks. The papers came through today so everything is official and they're heading home (Idaho) today. I sure am going to miss that sweet little girl but I cannot even begin to express how excited I am that she's going to have a normal, healthy life now and we won't have to worry about her anymore (you'd never believe the abuse that came out in court...it makes me sick). It's very bittersweet. *tear*
Old 09-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Oh, Tara, that is fabulous news! I'm so glad she is going to a happy home!

And yes, I'm totally psyched about lots of things today!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doula View Post
Then I swung by Bosom Buddies...
I've been meaning to stop by there. They have neat stuff huh? Is it worth a trip from the Springs?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
I've been meaning to stop by there. They have neat stuff huh? Is it worth a trip from the Springs?
They are okay. They just raised their prices a lot!! I love the owner but the new workers are a bit snooty for me. They are great for bra fittings and to get specialized parts for you pump and stuff but otherwise, they are just okay. I used to like them a year ago a lot more!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 AM

Yea for good news! Glad to hear that little girl is getting taken care of Tara, and how wonderful you'll get all sorts of time together as a new family Carrie!

As for me, I'm pretty stoked at that as of today (or tomorrow, but that's just 1 1/2 hours away) I am 36 weeks and therefore birthcenter legal!! I haven't been expecting to go early, but all this past week I've had it in the back of my head that it would SUCK if I went into labor and was so close to 36 but still had to go to the hospital. Now, I don't have to! (Barring any emergency, of course.) This makes me a very happy camper, and baby has my full permission to come in 3 weeks.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
As for me, I'm pretty stoked at that as of today (or tomorrow, but that's just 1 1/2 hours away) I am 36 weeks and therefore birthcenter legal!! I haven't been expecting to go early, but all this past week I've had it in the back of my head that it would SUCK if I went into labor and was so close to 36 but still had to go to the hospital. Now, I don't have to! (Barring any emergency, of course.) This makes me a very happy camper, and baby has my full permission to come in 3 weeks.
That is so awesome!! That is the point that I want to get to. I'm only 2 weeks away and I can't imagine having to have a hospital birth at this point! Hopefully nothing happens for at least 3 more weeks because the next 3 weekends are full!!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:08 AM

Hope everyone is well!:

I just took a big step by letting our doula go...just sent her an email.
She was lovely and willing to work with us for a reduced rate but she is so peppy, perky and seemed embarrassed in conversation by the thought of someone having an "orgasmic birth".
I came away from the meeting feeling uneasy and discussed it a bit with my midwife on Wednesday and she felt this doula is not a good match for me based on my concerns.
She said I should keep an ear out for another one but after discussing with my DH, I think we honestly prefer to go without.
I know a lot of ladies would not agree on going w/o a doula but we will be in the hospital with these wonderful midwives and the nursing staff there is geared around natural birth and wouldn't be pressuring me for interventions. We took our Hypnobirthing class together and if there is a way for me to get the Hypnobabies cds and do a crash course with them in the next 5 1/2 weeks, I feel confident we can do it.
My DH is a sensitive guy and he will be there for me, I know it. He won't be squeamish and if we have the privacy we want, we can create the birth we want.
Gotta hit the hay before PT in the morning.
Just got back from gorging on delicious pizza where not only our waitress was pregnant but the two booths right by me were both filled with pregnant gals...so four of us total. I guess it must be catching.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 AM

Lee - Fabulous news about hitting 36 weeks! Yay for birth center legal!

Orchidez - I think you'll be ok w/o a doula. I'm not using a doula. And I also think 5.5 weeks is long enough to do a crash hypnobabies home study. I'm 37 weeks in 1 day (woo hoo) and I'm still only working on class 3 (out of 5).

I've been getting a lot of "Everybody's pregnant!" comments when I leave the house, too! A woman who worked at Target said it when I passed by on Tuesday, and the other day at Shoprite, a woman who worked there told me I was the 6th pg woman she'd seen come in that day (and it was only around noon)! It definitely must be catching!! Either that or all the closer-to-their-guess-date pg women are out and about during the day, duh. :

Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 AM

Orchidez, i dont think many ppl are comfortable w/ orgasmic birth. its something i strive for this time and on another board i am on, there were a lot of very negative comments that really hurt (esp. when you believe its possible, yk?). its better you let her go rather than deal w/ her negativity (even if concealed) at your birth.

i am thinking the boy's room will be painted prior to delivery. i was losing hope b/c i got so many really horrible quotes (like $900 to prep 2 fraking rooms...hello/!!!!!). finally someone started on it yesterday and im getting the paint today. yippee!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 AM

thought I'd say hallo and say thankyou, my wife Tiffany religiously reads this page and gains a lot of helpful ideas and understanding .
I often ask why she doesn't say hallo and join in, dont really get a response.

I have just returned from a business trip and found the page open so thought as the opportunity exists I'd say hallo.
we have 3 yr old boy called Lachlan or bam bam as he is known as he is inclined to destroy most things in his path. We are expecting another in Oct so all excitement , painting etc , tiffany "sunshine mum " is doing well except veins in her legs and gastric reflux , otherwise as big as . She is 5ft 3 inches or 163 cm and 55kgs normally and carries the baby all out front, you wouldn't know she was pregnant from behind .

So here good luck to you all and thankyou

Chester ... sunshinemum 's hubi
Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
I take a bath every night. We have a BIG tub in our master bath and it feels so good to be buoyant, .
I take a bath most every day but it is always with DS... not exactally relaxing but always fun, what with the flying toys and splashing

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinemum View Post
thought I'd say hallo and say thankyou, my wife Tiffany religiously reads this page and gains a lot of helpful ideas and understanding .
I often ask why she doesn't say hallo and join in, dont really get a response.

I have just returned from a business trip and found the page open so thought as the opportunity exists I'd say hallo.
we have 3 yr old boy called Lachlan or bam bam as he is known as he is inclined to destroy most things in his path. We are expecting another in Oct so all excitement , painting etc , tiffany "sunshine mum " is doing well except veins in her legs and gastric reflux , otherwise as big as . She is 5ft 3 inches or 163 cm and 55kgs normally and carries the baby all out front, you wouldn't know she was pregnant from behind .

So here good luck to you all and thankyou

Chester ... sunshinemum 's hubi
Hello Chester (and Tiffany!!!!) you really should join in the conversations

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doula View Post
That is so awesome!! That is the point that I want to get to. I'm only 2 weeks away and I can't imagine having to have a hospital birth at this point! Hopefully nothing happens for at least 3 more weeks because the next 3 weekends are full!!
*tells Crunchy Doula's little one to stay put for at least 3 more weeks*

There. That should do it. Mine's listened to me so far* (staying in, staying head down, dropping a bit) so maybe yours will too.

sunshinemum and husband!

*Mind, I expect this to end immediately upon birth, if not sooner. Heck, I haven't been able to convince this little bugger that my ribcage is not a xylophone.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:41 PM

Hello sunshinemum and hubby! Glad to have you! Don't be afraid to jump in on conversations! We're a chatty bunch.

lee, great news that you can now go to the BC if labor started early! : We had to get to 34 for our hospital to accept us in the event of PTL. I was so excited when we hit that last week because I can't imagine going to any other hospital and getting the birth we want/need.

AAM: WARNING: Major whining ahead...... I had a rough night. I didn't sleep much when I was actually in bed and had to pee so many times I lost count. I woke up with awful heartburn/reflux and got up to take papaya and I didn't think my back, hips, and pelvis were going to hold me up. Ugh. I feel like my body is falling apart all of the sudden! I finally gave up on sleeping at about 6:45 when DH's alarm went off and just watched TV with him before he got up. I was so achey all over that no position was comfortable and I was still tired and just wanted to cry. I sure hope this isn't any indication of how my weekend is going to go.....we're going out of town tonight for Mizzou football and then have Kansas City Chiefs tickets on Sunday too. So, lots of riding in the car and football. That won't help my aching body at all. Ok, I'll stop complaining now. Everything else is great, nothing eventful.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 PM

Dang, that sounds like a bad night! I had a night like that a few days ago but since I've been fine. Sure hope you have the same experience and sleep well tonight. It's hard to lose MORE sleep!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:45 PM

OrchideZ - I think you'll be fine without a doula. So many people still get epi's or unnecessary interventions even with a doula...I think it really depends on what your heart is set on and what you are willing to do.

I'm GBS negative. One thing to not have to worry about. I'm glad I did the test.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
Orchidez, i dont think many ppl are comfortable w/ orgasmic birth. its something i strive for this time and on another board i am on, there were a lot of very negative comments that really hurt (esp. when you believe its possible, yk?). its better you let her go rather than deal w/ her negativity (even if concealed) at your birth.

i am thinking the boy's room will be painted prior to delivery. i was losing hope b/c i got so many really horrible quotes (like $900 to prep 2 fraking rooms...hello/!!!!!). finally someone started on it yesterday and im getting the paint today. yippee!!!!!!!!!
The room project sounds awesome. Please post when you have it done for us.

That is super odd re. people being down or prudish on the thought of a birth being sexual or pleasing in nature. Bums me out.
It makes sense to me. The act involves your genitals and sex organs and sex is how the baby was created. I mean, what could be more natural or earthy than a birth if you are open to realizing that?
The cool thing is my midwife (who won an award this past year I noticed as Midwife of the Year for So. Cal Doula Assoc and she is so amazing) was the one who I was originally about a month or so ago talking to about Ina May and associating birth with pleasure and she gave me an invite to see the film "Orgasmic Birth" which is screening here in a few weeks.
The doula we met with asked me what books or methods I was reading up on and I listed off all the books and then I mentioned being excited to see this film. I assumed she would maybe want to go to the screening as well.
She immediately cut me off and said, "I am sorry...I just can't go there. To imagine watching some woman having a 20 minute orgasm. Pul-lease. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face!" while she was laughing too.
I said, "Well, it might be a pipedream but man, if you could have an orgasm during labor, wouldn't that be pretty cool?" She then told me "Well, I've never seen it" and changed the topic pretty dismissively.
:
I shared this with my midwife and she said that she found it odd for a doula to be closed to that idea. She then told me that she has seen it happen and more than once.
I mean, I have never given birth before...I may be fooling myself yes. BUT. Why would I hire someone to be in the room who is coming from a closed mind-set?
I am too sensitive anyway so I know it would bother me.
My husband agreed she would probably not be the best fit for us.

Quote:
Orchidez - I think you'll be ok w/o a doula. I'm not using a doula. And I also think 5.5 weeks is long enough to do a crash hypnobabies home study. I'm 37 weeks in 1 day (woo hoo) and I'm still only working on class 3 (out of 5).
Babycakes, glad to hear it! I can't order the cds until Friday and will have to be getting them through the 2nd hand reduced rate program they have so I wanted to make sure its worth it to get them so late.

Tara: Reading about your night made me tear up. So sorry you had a rough time of things.
Take a nice bath I say and then go back to bed, sleep as much as you can.

Welcome Sunshine Mum!

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 09-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Hello Sunshinemum & Hubby!

OrchideZ - that is really too weird about that doula. Maybe she feels like it'd be uncomfortable for her to be there as a witness to that experience? I mean, I can see where not everyone is ok with that part of themselves to hold it together watching someone else orgasm... but then again, that's a good reason not to have them there. I'm not pulling for orgasm per se, but I AM being open to ecstatic birthing. It makes sense to me too.

Janasmama - Congrats on being GBS negative!!!

Tara - for your sleepless night. I've had a few of those, usually followed by a pretty miserable day. BUT, things always have gotten better again so I'm : that you feel fabulous this weekend and enjoy your football!

Lee - Oh My Gosh you're weeks?!?! I remember you getting your BFP! That's so awesome you're all legal now! Not that your LO is coming any time soon, but that must be a real relief!

AAM: I had a miserable day yesterday. Just feeling really low and achy and whatever the LO was doing in my belly HURT. I don't think they were contrx, but maybe they were, my belly was just really tight and sore all day and my cervix kept feeling achy too. So I laid in bed or on the couch reading and watching a movie all day and didn't do anything but finish washing my baby clothes. I'm feeling better today thankfully; you can't help but wonder about labor when you're this far along, but it's still too early so it was a worrisome day.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 09-12-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
OrchideZ - I think you'll be fine without a doula. So many people still get epi's or unnecessary interventions even with a doula...I think it really depends on what your heart is set on and what you are willing to do.

I'm GBS negative. One thing to not have to worry about. I'm glad I did the test.
I missed your post while I was typing mine out.
Thanks for the good words.
Congrats on the GBS results!:
I get my test done in another week and a half so am gonna start taking acidophilus pearls and live probiotic culture this weekend.
Did you do anything special to help your results?
I had asked my midwife about garlic therapy (ingested and inserted vaginally) and she said for me not to bother as to get a high enough dose to make it effective, it would thin my blood out and they don't want that.
She said she felt yogurt/probiotic regime was the way to go.

Quote:
OrchideZ - that is really too weird about that doula. Maybe she feels like it'd be uncomfortable for her to be there as a witness to that experience? I mean, I can see where not everyone is ok with that part of themselves to hold it together watching someone else orgasm... but then again, that's a good reason not to have them there. I'm not pulling for orgasm per se, but I AM being open to ecstatic birthing. It makes sense to me too.
Amber: I thought it was weird too. Then again, she is younger and a newer doula- has 20-odd births under her belt. She was also really flabbergasted when she found out my age. That was another thing. She was talking about "older mothers" and specific situations where "that doesn't even apply to you" then I finally said "well, I am 37 almost 38" and her jaw literally dropped. She could not believe it. I think she is a bit too "green" for us.
I also was never "pulling" for an orgasm b/c I think like with sex, you can't stress or focus on that...they happen when they will.
I am just open-minded and excited about the possibility of anything happening and someone who is judgemental or close-minded about something joyful is not someone I want to share such intimacy with.
I will be back later...off to PT now!
Have a great morning ladies...

eta: Amber: I had the same feelings down low yesterday and last night. I got scared b/c a few days ago I had undercooked chicken at a Thai place and ate some of it before I noticed. Then I tried to calm myself by saying its the baby making room and dropping/lightning which it looks like he is doing from my observation this morning. To read you are experiencing this too makes me think it must be normal.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
She was also really flabbergasted when she found out my age. That was another thing. She was talking about "older mothers" and specific situations where "that doesn't even apply to you" then I finally said "well, I am 37 almost 38" and her jaw literally dropped. She could not believe it.
wow...she would really freak out if she read teh thread for moms TTC past 40, huh??? my ds3 was born when i was 38. he's almost 3.

she does sound very close minded.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:51 PM

I figure if it's going to be intense anyway I'd rather it be orgasmic. I think it'd be much easier for a first time mom to achieve the right mindset to get there too. Good luck to you!

Re- GBS Congrats Janasmama! I took probiotics and GSE to combat it and tested negative.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:10 PM

I haven't had time to read all of the previous posts, but I hope everyone is doing well!!

I'm in full on nesting mode today!! I've done laundry, dishes, sewing, organizing and packing; I'm on a roll!! My baby shower is on Sunday so I want to make sure that everything else I already have is in place so I can easily bring in the gifts that we get and not stress myself out! Okay, back to work, wish me luck

Old 09-12-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
That is super odd re. people being down or prudish on the thought of a birth being sexual or pleasing in nature. Bums me out.
It's amazing how many different types of doulas and midwives their are. Some midwives even think gettting a epi is considered an unmedicated birth and not within the realm of 'drugs' b/c of the cocktail that it is and the way it's administered.

I'm not saying that it's not okay to get one, just that I think we're kidding ourselves when we say it's an unmedicated birth.

You're awesome for thinking the way you are....

and I would have never guessed you were almost 38. You look great.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the well-wishes ladies. It's nice to have people who understand. I cancelled my client appts this afternoon in hopes of being able to just take it easy and they were fine with that. I hate doing that because it makes me feel like I'm weak to cancel appts because my body is "achey" but I keep reminding myself that this late in pregnancy it really is ok to stop and it doesn't make me any less strong. I wish my chiro had an open appt today. I did lay down and get a little bit of sleep (maybe an hour?) which is good but I was woken up by my aching hips again. *sigh* Hopefully I'll be like those of you who had a good night's sleep after a really rough one.

Carrie, that's great that your GBS came back neg! What a relief and so nice to not worry about it anymore!

OrchideZ, you seem very at ease and comfortable with having a birth w/o a doula so I really think you made the right decision. It sounds like she definitely wasn't a good match for your birth ambitions.

AmberLion, I'm sorry you had a rough day yesterday. Hopefully it's just baby preparing for the big day!

User Tag List