Pitting edema? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2008, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone having this?
Ever since I got back from our trip up to the mountains, my feet and ankles have edema that pits (when it gets pressed on, it stays indented).
It does get worse towards evening and if I don't elevate.
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 AM

Just wanted to say I hope it goes away for you! Is it uncomfortable to the touch or just that it swells (and is a PITA lol)

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:18 AM

I've had that for the past couple of weeks. It's worse in my left foot to where it actually hurts sometimes =/
Keeping my feet up doesn't seem to help much either but it keeps them from hurting.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 AM

I get this, but only in the evenings after I've been on my feet all day. Keeping fingers crossed for you that you don't have any other problems!

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh do I feel ya! I've been making a real effort to combat the nighttime edema in my ankles and feet lately. I keep my feet way up on a step stool at work when I am sitting. I drink about 120 oz of H20 a day. I read that low levels of potassium can cause swelling, so I've been drinking beet juice. I try to get enough protein, salt (but not too much) and calcium.

These things seem to be helping a lot. Good luck.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
Old 09-08-2008, 10:56 AM

it is totally normal for me - I will be so glad to have "my" ankles back!!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 AM

This happens to me sometimes. My swelling overall has really improved since my new OB told me to put half a lemon's worth of lemon juice in my water. (She also recommended vinegar, but I can't remember how much and I didn't try it. ) I'm going through a lot of lemons, but my ankles are looking all slim and cute most days. Yay!

Hope your ankles improve soon!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Yeah, I was going to say that subbing in some lemonade (fresh!) helps. I'm not there yet this time but I've btdt and hated it too.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 PM

Glad I'm not the only one. It's only started happening to me int he past week or so, and really only on my right foot. I keep calling it my marshmallow foot. DH will give me a quick foot massage while I prop it up and it tends to get better fairly quickly. Definitely not pleasant, though.

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
This happens to me sometimes. My swelling overall has really improved since my new OB told me to put half a lemon's worth of lemon juice in my water. (She also recommended vinegar, but I can't remember how much and I didn't try it. ) I'm going through a lot of lemons, but my ankles are looking all slim and cute most days. Yay!

Hope your ankles improve soon!
Interesting-I put lemon juice in my water all the time anyway for the taste-haven't noticed it helping with the swelling though. Maybe I'm just not using enough.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
Interesting-I put lemon juice in my water all the time anyway for the taste-haven't noticed it helping with the swelling though. Maybe I'm just not using enough.
Well I was using like a slice or two after my SIL told me that putting lemon in my water would help, and I didn't notice much of a difference. Then my OB told me to try half a lemon's worth, that's when I did notice a difference. The water is cloudy with lemon juice. Luckily, I love lemons.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 PM

Anyone told their CP they have pitting edema and their CP isn't concerned? I'm just asking b/c while my CPs have lots of suggestions and sympathy for "regular" swelling, they want to know right away if it ever pits (stays indented) b/c that is different.

So, OrchideZ, maybe call your CP and see what they have to say?

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 PM

There's alot of other symptoms they'll look for aside from teh pitting edema. If you've got pitting edema with high blood preassure, protien in the urine and s coupe other things that I can't think of... The you've got a problem. Keep an eye on it, to.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Anyone told their CP they have pitting edema and their CP isn't concerned? I'm just asking b/c while my CPs have lots of suggestions and sympathy for "regular" swelling, they want to know right away if it ever pits (stays indented) b/c that is different.

So, OrchideZ, maybe call your CP and see what they have to say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaFox View Post
There's alot of other symptoms they'll look for aside from teh pitting edema. If you've got pitting edema with high blood preassure, protien in the urine and s coupe other things that I can't think of... The you've got a problem. Keep an eye on it, to.
Yes to this ^.

You'll want to let them know right away so you can test your urine also. The quicker you catch things the better it can be.

I also think that if your belly has edema or your face is looking swollen then you should call right away.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 AM

Seriously, do an epsom salt bath.

Warm/comfortable bath with a cup or two of epsom salt in it. It's cheap so don't worry about exact amounts.

But before the bath, make a salt scrub for yourself by putting epsom salt into a tub (ziploc or gladware is great for this!) and covering it with a mixture of olive oil and castor oil. More olive oil is more moisturizing, more castor oil is detoxifying. I prefer about 80% olive oil and the rest castor oil. Add enough oil to cover the salt. Add some scented oil or massage oil to cover the scent of the castor oil and you're good.

While in your epsom salt bath, use the scrub to exfoliate. Make sure to hit the areas that are swollen but don't limit yourself to those areas. Just pamper. Have water to drink nearby and drink lots. Then go to bed for the night. You'll wake having to pee a ton but it's worth it. And you'll sleep incredibly well!

This takes care of edema very quickly for me and also seems to help the cells actually get rid of toxins, not just get rid of the swelling.

And if it doesn't do anything for the edema, you'll still feel pampered!

Don't mind criticism. If it is untrue, disregard it; if unfair, keep from irritation; if it is ignorant, smile; if it is justified it is not criticism, learn from it.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 AM

I've had the same thing forever with no other problems associated with it. In fact, I have fairly permanent indentions on my feet from my flip flops. I can go barefoot for a day or two, and the indentions are still there! I've tried soaking, drinking lots of extra water (and water with lemon), and elevating my feet. Nothing helps! Mine isn't really uncomfortable, though...it just looks funny.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedak View Post
I've had the same thing forever with no other problems associated with it. In fact, I have fairly permanent indentions on my feet from my flip flops. I can go barefoot for a day or two, and the indentions are still there! I've tried soaking, drinking lots of extra water (and water with lemon), and elevating my feet. Nothing helps! Mine isn't really uncomfortable, though...it just looks funny.
This is from increased fluid/blood. I get that also. Edema is typically uncomfortable.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Oh wow- thanks ladies for all the replies and suggestions/commisseration!
It does make me feel better to hear its more common than I thought...safety in numbers, ya know?
A lot of you are talking about lemons in water. I don't think my system could handle that right now. Lemons and any kind of citrus set off fiery heart burn for me that keeps me up at night and sometimes even makes me throw up. I am finding I can't even drink OJ or have lemonade lately. Ah well.

Amber Lion: I hear you. I am concerned about the indenting which stays after being pushed on as I too have heard that is or can be more serious. I have my next midwife visit on Wednesday a.m. so I will ask them about it and they always check my blood pressure and my urine so I will just rest easy, try not to stress it and keep my feet up until then. I have been good about drinking lots of pregnancy tea today and staying off my feet/doing lots of ankles swirls and my feet do look better.

Pinetree: That bath sounds like just what I need! Off to take a dip right about now.

Janasmama: Mine is def. uncomfortable. My ankles feel like they are wrapped tightly in rubber bands and if I stand too long, I get pains behind my knees which get swollen too.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 09-09-2008, 03:48 PM

Glad to hear you'll see your CP tomorrow, I think that's soon enough! And I second the epsom salt bath... I did it the other day and it felt SO good and my ankles were the slimmest they've been in a long time! AND I didn't have any restless leg stuff that night either... ah, bliss!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator

User Tag List