Eating Ice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been just craving ice lately. I dont know what the deal is but I just love eating ice. I could munch on it all day long. I have never been a big ice eater so I dont know what the deal is. I drink water all day but could this be a sign of dehydration? At my birthing class they were saying you might think you drink plenty of water but most people dont realize how much water it takes to keep a pregnant woman hydrated. Could it mean something else bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 09-08-2008, 09:18 PM

Crashing into your DDC, but have your care provider check your iron levels. Craving ice is a form of Pica - the syndrome that makes people want to lick ashtrays or eat dirt.
#3 of 28 Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 PM

I'm craving ice a lot, too, snack on it all day long. My iron is fine

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#4 of 28 Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 PM

This started about a month ago for me. I love ice water but once the water is gone i crunch on the ice. My iron is fine too.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#5 of 28 Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 PM

All I do at work is eat crushed ice right now. We've got the best ice I've heard it's a sign of anemia, but don't know how true it is.
#6 of 28 Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
Crashing into your DDC, but have your care provider check your iron levels. Craving ice is a form of Pica - the syndrome that makes people want to lick ashtrays or eat dirt.
Actually, when I had my bloodwork done about a month ago to check for GD my Doc said that everything was fine but I was slightly anemic. He said it wasnt enough to worry about and any medication wouldnt be worth it cause the side effects would make me more uncomfortable than the mild anemia.

So, I guess mystery solved! I was just going to chock it up to another weird preggy craving but then I thought I'd better ask.

I will tell the Doc about it to see if he wants to do more bloodwork incase the anemia has gotten worse cause I didnt have low iron at all when I did my initial blood work for the pregnancy test.
#7 of 28 Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bratton View Post
So, I guess mystery solved! I was just going to chock it up to another weird preggy craving but then I thought I'd better ask.
it still may be, though. i have totally been into eating ice for a month now - we have a crushed ice machine at work, so i'm in heaven! i could eat it all day.

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
#8 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 AM

I love ice and crunch on it pregnant or not, and my iron levels are fine, but yeah, i is a form of pica. I was worried about that last pregnancy.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#9 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 AM

I was eating ice and the MW told me I was anemic and had me take Hemiplex. She also said eating ice fills the stomach and makes one feel full. She told me to STOP eating the ice and munch carrots or celery if i needed to crunch something.:
#10 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 AM

Well, usually I like eating ice (crushed) when it is really hot out. How would that be much different than eating crushed ice with sugar-y syrup on it??? Personally I don't find munching ice to be QUITE the same as eating coffee grounds or dirt, but meh, thats just me...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#11 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 AM

Ive been a big ice muncher the past 2 months or so my blood work was PERFECT so it has nothing to do with iron levels for me. I esp love it after it sits in a glass of tea or water for about 5-10 min so the cubes are starting to melt...

yes I have it down to a science

Oh and I want to keep my stomach filled with something with OUT calories I dont need any more!

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#12 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 01:17 AM

I'm not craving ice but I certainly crunch on it a lot. I've always done that though. I read somewhere once that it can be a sign of sexual frustration.....hmm.....
#13 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 AM

I too crave ice with this 3rd pregnancy and my first. I had my midwife check my iron just to be sure and it was within normal. She said this is VERY common and she had it herself. Its such a weird feeling when I want it and it has nothing to do with being thirsty. Its almost like I start salivating when I think about it-like now lol. I had a friend of mine bring me home a ziplock bag of ice from the hospital where she works-you know that nice soft pellet ice. Another time I took the kids to subway for lunch and purchased two large drinks(which I never do) just to fill the cups up with ice! My husband almost died laughing the other day when he caught me dumping the little bits of ice from the bottom of the ice tray into my mouth. I am trying to avoid eating big pieces anymore as I am afraid of cracking my teeth. I told m,y husband the minute I go into labor he needs to run out and get a bag of ice!
#14 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM

I love to eat ice in the 3rd trimester. I have with every pregnancy. I do tend to be anemic and take iron suppliments. I have never craved coffee grounds or dirt though.
#15 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 10:40 AM

It's so funny that someone just posted about this, because just last night I was sitting here at the computer chomping on the ice cubes in my glass from my RRL tea brew thinking that I was tired, but I MUST finish eating the wonderful ice first! I chuckled so hard when I got onto MDC only to see someone put this post about our "ice eating obsessions". I look forward to the ice in the bottom of the glass these days. I don't so much when I am not pg. Now I'm curious about the whole iron level thing, because I was low before, and thought that I have been working on it..but now I wonder.
#16 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 11:08 AM

I crunch ice, but my iron levels have always been OK. The thing with me is I don't like water, but crunching ice is yummy and feels good going down.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#17 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Ive been a big ice muncher the past 2 months or so my blood work was PERFECT so it has nothing to do with iron levels for me. I esp love it after it sits in a glass of tea or water for about 5-10 min so the cubes are starting to melt...

Oh and I want to keep my stomach filled with something with OUT calories I dont need any more!
If it's regular cubes, like from the freezer, then yes.. much better after sitting in liquid. I know which gas stations and stores have what kind of ice, and so far my favorite is Big Y's ice

My mom has always been an ice eater (she's also a chronic anemic) and was in heaven in the hospital this past weekend because she said they have the best ice. I didn't care for it at all.. though I did take a cup with me on the way out each time. Beggers can't be choosers, now can they?

#18 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanbugsmom View Post
I too crave ice with this 3rd pregnancy and my first. I had my midwife check my iron just to be sure and it was within normal. She said this is VERY common and she had it herself. Its such a weird feeling when I want it and it has nothing to do with being thirsty. Its almost like I start salivating when I think about it-like now lol. I had a friend of mine bring me home a ziplock bag of ice from the hospital where she works-you know that nice soft pellet ice. Another time I took the kids to subway for lunch and purchased two large drinks(which I never do) just to fill the cups up with ice! My husband almost died laughing the other day when he caught me dumping the little bits of ice from the bottom of the ice tray into my mouth. I am trying to avoid eating big pieces anymore as I am afraid of cracking my teeth. I told m,y husband the minute I go into labor he needs to run out and get a bag of ice!
Yes yes yes to the salivating! If I even think about it, I have to get up and get a piece! You can find me usually with my head in the freezer, searching for snackable pieces My dh thinks I'm nuts. Especially when I made him go out at 12am to get me more when I ran out, it's the only time I had a craving that I could not ignore! Now when I open the freezer my ds says, "Iccccce!" And loves to eat it, too. I think for him though it's because I'm always eating it, and he thinks it's something special, and has to have some. Since my mom eats it all the time, he's getting a double dose, haha.

#19 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 AM

It's funny b/c after I take my double dose of Floradix with prune juice (iron rich) for extra iron, I can't stand ice water. Otherwise, I crave it all day. Crunching ice to me is like fingers on the chalkboard, so I just fill my glass with big ice cubes, suck down the water, and refill all day long. It's rather inconvenient for me to be out and about b/c I get dehydrated too quickly when I can't have my lovely glass of ice water in tow. And, I'm the one who wants the glass from home, not the water bottle of any kind.
#20 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Yes, yes, yes!! That's the way I like my ice too!! lol!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#21 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM

Agreeing with others-you should get your iron levels checked to make sure you're not anemic.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#22 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM

I'm not anemic, but I LOVE ice. I always have though, not just during this pregnancy. I especially love the crushed pellet type of ice. They have this at Big Boys, and I am totally craving it now.
#23 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 PM

fellow ice chewers... how are you on frozen cokes? Thats my other fave item right now its the ONLY soda Ive had since Ive been pregnant but that coke/icey flavor is SOOOOO nice:

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#24 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
I second the checking iron. It *probably* isn't the case but there is still a chance it's iron.

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#25 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see I'm not the only one! lol. I thought I was going to be weird. Looks like it's pretty normal.
#26 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 PM

I was never a big ice fan until I got pregnant. I eat a lot of ice now. My iron levels were checked in early pregnancy and they were fine. Not sure how muy iron levels are now....
#27 of 28 Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
Agreeing with others-you should get your iron levels checked to make sure you're not anemic.
I already have and I am a little anemic.
#28 of 28 Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:

I'm the same way! I call myself an ice connoisseur because I know the best places in our city to get ice, even the best gas station bagged ice. It's sad.

Even though I'm not a soda drinker, my favorite ice is in the bottom of a cup of a friends or my DH's coke. Mmmmmm. Although my new favorite (and much healthier) addiction has been the ice that's been soaking in my red rasberry leaf tea. Good stuff!

Oh, and my iron levels have always been fine - I just LOVE ice!

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page