Has your baby "dropped" yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, the baby dropping- such an interesting feeling- I remember it like it was yesterday. Back aches suddenly left, I could breathe again and it felt like the baby's head was between my legs.

Last time around, my baby dropped at around 36 weeks. So I'm curious when this one will.

I just know for me, it was quite obvious.

So what about you? Do you *think* the baby has dropped or do you know for a fact it has?

-Chantelle

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 PM

I don't remember much about my first two kids dropping.. brain is blank there lol.

But this one did drop about a week ago.. but he still goes up and down some too.... however it was a very significant drop and I truly have been able to breathe, eat, and function better.... well except for the potty runs lol.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#3 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Yep, s/he dropped a while ago....was down there last Thursday, but since worked his/her way back up LOL. I am wondering when s/he will drop again.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#4 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM

I only dropped with my first baby at 37 weeks. It didn't occur with my other two until I was in labor.
#5 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 PM

I have honestly never noticed this with any of my pregnancies. I am very short however so there really isn't alot of room to "drop" without falling out.
#6 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 PM

This is my first pregnancy but yes, I'm going to say my baby has dropped. I feel like her head is right there between my legs, and I have so much more room to eat and can breathe so much better now. I hobble a bit if I've been sitting too long, and my pubic bone is really sore.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 PM

I feel like the little bugger is lower, but I'm hesitant to say it's dropped. I breathe a bit easier, but still get worn out and out of breath easily. Also, while there's a little more pressure around the top of my pubic bone, I don't feel like the head's about to fall out or anything (and it's definitely head down). I also don't have to go to the bathroom more than usual. So dropped? Probably not, but moved down some, which is QUITE a blessing.
#8 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stephanie~ View Post
I have honestly never noticed this with any of my pregnancies. I am very short however so there really isn't alot of room to "drop" without falling out.
Oh I hear you about the short stature thing...

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#9 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 09:57 PM

I had a sudden movement from the baby today that I'm wondering if this is what it was. It suddenly feels like the baby's head is ON my pubic bone and I'm noticing my BH's today are more frequent and I'm feeling something in my cervix (kind of sharp and coordinated with BH's). Thoughts? I'm assuming if baby has actually engaged my CNM will say that when I see her tomorrow since she always palpates for baby's head.

ETA: I guess I should say that I've never reached a point where I felt like I couldn't breath or like baby was all that high so it's really hard to tell. I've been carrying low the whole time and my torso is long.
#10 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Ohhhh yeah. He's dropped a few times actually. Today I realized that his head is blocking my urethra and when I laid down in the bathtub I peed about a gallon. TMI?
#11 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 10:17 PM

I couldn't tell you. Babe has always been extremely low so I don't think there is anywhere lower to go without popping out.
#12 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 10:17 PM

I don't think so. At least not much. I've heard with 2nd pregnancies and beyond, that the baby doesn't really drop till you are in labor. I still feel the butt right underneath my ribs and I'm 39 weeks. Dr. did say he could feel the head, but I think this bab is just a long one.
#13 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 PM

Yep, she's definitely dropped. I have lots less episodes of breathlessness. I can see the difference, too. At my last appointment, my OB told me the baby's head is engaged.
#14 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 PM

I've also always heard that moms don't drop with subsequent pregnancies, but there is definitely a big difference in my belly. I'm tall, so I didn't really get any breathing relief or anything like that (didn't need any), but I feel much more pressure down low and my belly is practically hanging down compared to how high it was before.

Oh, and my mw asked me if I felt I'd dropped when she was feeling the baby's position yesterday. She said she was pretty sure I had.
#15 of 27 Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 PM

I never noticed the baby drop with my previous two, but this one has definitely dropped. My heartburn is waaay better and I can feel the little head way down in my pelvis. I think it happened Monday, and I am 37.5 weeks.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#16 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 AM

I am CERTAIN my baby has not dropped into the pelvis yet and I'm 35 weeks tommorrow.

My first pregnancy, the baby dropped early at 32 weeks 5 days and I was mother f'n uncomfortable for the duration of my pregnancy when I gave birth at 37w4d. I had to pee every 45 minutes or every time I stood up (whichever came first) and I had intense pelvic/pubic pressure. However, I have a theory that this is why I had such an "easy" labor/birth. Nothing was better at getting my cervix ripe and ready than my dd's head hanging out on it for 5 weeks while I worked 12 hour shifts.

This time around is much more comfortable with the baby still floating this late in the pregnancy. I expect the baby won't drop until I go into labor or I will go into labor shortly after the baby drops. I guess we'll see...
#17 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 12:32 AM

Nope. DS dropped around 35 weeks, I think.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#18 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

I just read in my Sears' Pregnancy Book that most women don't feel the baby drop after the first pregnancy since there's not much "warming up" to do.

Interesting...maybe that means I won't feel it at all this time?

-Caitrin

#19 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 AM

No, but I'm right before 35 weeks, so it would be a bit early for me.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#20 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post
I just read in my Sears' Pregnancy Book that most women don't feel the baby drop after the first pregnancy since there's not much "warming up" to do.

Interesting...maybe that means I won't feel it at all this time?

-Caitrin
Maybe we won't "feel" it, but I'm sure I'd notice the baby's head is not floating. I also think I'd be able to tell that baby is sitting lower in my belly. I actually felt my first drop and know the exact moment it happened.
#21 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 AM

Mine is definitely lower, I got lots of odd pains a few nights ago, and when I woke up is when this really bad pelvic pressure/bowling ball in between the legs stuff started. Then later that day my mom said, "Wow, your belly is low!" It's funny because I carry really low anyway, I remember with ds looking at myself after he'd dropped and thinking holy cow b/c it just sags soooo low, and now this one is in the same position, big 'ole saggy belly. I don't know if she's dropped/engaged, but she's definitely a lot lower and making me quite uncomfortable! Often times I can't even sit up straight b/c she's right there and in the way, I have to at least partially recline to not be in pain or feel like I'm squishing her head. Talk about an odd feeling! lol

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#22 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 PM

nope, not yet.
#23 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 04:23 PM

I don't think I've dropped yet... I still have a hard time with breathing sometimes and I haven't noticed any significant changes in the baby looking lower or anything. But I'm pretty short and this is my fifth baby, so I don't know if I'll notice any drop or anything, besides being easier to breathe.
#24 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
I actually felt my first drop and know the exact moment it happened.
Wow interesting! Would you mind describing it? I'm curious to know what that would be like.

It's fun when we notice the moment something happens (Off topic but it made me think of when my water suddenly broke in the kitchen. It began with a big old *KICK* so we joke that he broke his own water)

-Caitrin

#25 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 PM

NO :::: I want my reflux to go away.

I dropped roughly a month before ds was born and I didn't know it at the time. I actually thought I was going into labor for a bit lol. It was this intense cramping sensation that took my breath away and I Had to sit down for a bit. Just really intense bam bam bam feeling on my whole abdominal area, and then it went away. Then the next day my co workers said I had dropped and I was lower than the day before. I did notice I could breath easier and eat easier.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#26 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post
Wow interesting! Would you mind describing it? I'm curious to know what that would be like.

It's fun when we notice the moment something happens (Off topic but it made me think of when my water suddenly broke in the kitchen. It began with a big old *KICK* so we joke that he broke his own water)

-Caitrin
I was sitting in a meeting with a patient, his family, a social worker, and two MDs. It was long and I'd been sitting in the same position for about an hour. The baby had been squirming through nearly the whole meeting (it was after lunch) and when I went to stand up the baby slipped into my pelvis. I completely peed my scrubs. From that point on I had to pee constantly, had intense pelvic pressure and felt kicks much lower in my upper abdomen. It's like I felt my baby slide down. So weird...

I like how you noticed your water breaking. I never noticed mine breaking in labor. When I got to the hospital, I tried to refuse the internal fetal monitor on the grounds that my water wasn't broken yet. The nurse said "Oh honey. Your water is WAY gone." I still don't know when it broke or what it felt like for that matter.
#27 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 PM

I don't know if he's dropped yet, but I've had a deffinant need to waddle all evening, and even a few days ago at work. I feel like my hips are splitting apart. I hope this means I'll go into labor on my own and my doc will sthu about inductions and c-sections. Here's to happy, ripe cervix power!

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page