Weekly Chit Chat 9/21-9/27 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gonna jump in here....

Dogs/cats...I'm not sure if we can pass illness back and forth, but I do know when my kids had a stomach bug, one of our cats got it too. So who knows???

Baby outta the house: Well my DP is in his best friends wedding on Nov. 1st. I"m due Oct 19. If baby decides to come on or just after due date, then I have about 2 wks. I was unsure of going to a wedding with a 2 wk old and brought up the germ factor to DP. He said, you have seven kids, and they go to school, you can't escape the germs...well I had "duh" moment (blame in on pg brain). So I just told him well have to see how I feel then. I said usually by 3 weeks post partum I'm feeling really good.

AAM: I had a prenatal with my midwife friend yesterday. All is good. Baby is head down, like I thought, and posterior, like I thought..ugh. So I"m going to have to work on getting him to rotate to a good position. No more couch for me.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#122 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Why am I so friggin' hungry the past 2-3 days?!? OMG if I keep eating like this we will have no food left!!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#123 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
A little OT but... about the dogs...

Can people get colds from dogs/cats? I thought there was like a species barrier or something.
No, not usually. Animals, especially smaller animals, run at a higher body temp than we do. Most "bugs" have a pretty narrow thermal margin of survivability, so what can infect and survive in their systems, can't in ours and vice versa (and also, hence the reason we run a fever when we are infected).

There are some bugs that are "labeled" the same for animals and humans, but are actually different things. For example, the common childhood illness 5ths Disease is Parvo, but it's a different strain than dogs get.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#124 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Why am I so friggin' hungry the past 2-3 days?!? OMG if I keep eating like this we will have no food left!!!
This is me too lately! Last night at dinner I ate so much I could barely breathe - seriously!

My appetite is not quite as strong today; maybe I'm still full.
#125 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 01:56 PM

I'm finally 36 weeks!! Woohoo : I'm really feeling pretty good. I'm realizing my need to hear some positive birth stories and center my mind on how I invision our birth to happen. I need to practice my hypnobabies today as I really think this is going to be a great tool for me to have during my birthing time.

I'm feeling very nest-y today! I'm going to re-clean and organize the house just a bit more (there really isn't anything to do!) and just make sure that everything is set in place and ready. I mean I'm ironing my baby carriers, lol!

I need to set my menu for PP meals and go shopping for the ingredients too. But otherwise everything is set!!!

I'm feeling Good

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#126 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I'm super hungry too. Like non-stop. Maybe our bodies are storing up calories for use during birth.

Hmmm, I wonder how many calories the average woman spends during an unmedicated childbirth.
#127 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM

^That'd be interesting information to know! I'll have to see what I can find.
#128 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysaurus View Post
AAM: I had a prenatal with my midwife friend yesterday. All is good. Baby is head down, like I thought, and posterior, like I thought..ugh. So I"m going to have to work on getting him to rotate to a good position. No more couch for me.
Me too....baby is head down and posterior....I'm hoping that he/she will turn before or during labor

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#129 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 09:05 PM

We had a MW appointment today. At least during our appointment Guupie was gracious enough to be ANTERIOR! Thought I had felt Guppie shift over from it's side Tuesday evening, but I was not 100% sure, I did not want to hope too much. Maybe it won't last, but it's nice to know it's possible!
#130 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I'm super hungry too. Like non-stop. Maybe our bodies are storing up calories for use during birth.

Hmmm, I wonder how many calories the average woman spends during an unmedicated childbirth.
I've read research that speculates the average labor takes the same or more energy as does running 40 miles at marathon pace. Interesting food (no pun) for thought!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#131 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 PM

so how many calories should you eat before a 40 mile marathon??

and crunchy doula, i think im officially angry w/ you right now. i WISH everythign here was ready. every time i get ONE thing read, 3 things get messed up b/c the kids go behind me! lol! i keep thinking im going to forget teh stuff i have for baby!
#132 of 153 Old 09-25-2008, 09:59 PM

So it's not just me. I've been waking up *STARVING* in the a.m. Like I'm going to start dry heaving if I don't get up and eat something. The funny thing is that I did that early on in the pg with my other two, but I've never had it this late in the pg before.

Hmmm.

#133 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 AM

Count me in. I won't even tell you how much I ate yesterday! And then I woke up to massive diarrhea. Fun. One day closer to October...
#134 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 12:17 PM

I had my 37 week visit yesterday and it went REALLY well. Baby's heartbeat was strong, all was well with my weight/bp/urine.

Doc didn't check me or even offer to, and she's TOTALLY on board with my birth plan of being able to be in whatever position I want for labor/pushing (she actually said she's had people deliver on their sides, on their hands and knees, etc. ) and with letting me wait until I have the urge to push rather than doing the coached pushing thing.

I had asked about an early release way back at the beginning of the pg. I completely forgot about it, but SHE remembered and brought it up yesterday and said that since I'm beta strep negative and everything is looking good, we can probably go for it :

#135 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 PM

^Awesome. It sounds like you have an OB who is very progressive like mine. Don't you just love it?! It makes the thought of having to be in a hospital much less of a worry! Just a side note....it's not usually difficult to get the Mom released but often times the ped won't want to release the infant as soon. So, you might talk with your chosen CP (baby's) and make sure they're on board too. That was a question we asked at the interview..."How quickly can we get baby released to go home?" He said it was totally doable to get the baby released as quickly as my OB can release me (3-4hrs after birth), especially if baby is full term and color looks good and such.

OT: I wish I knew why the ticker in my siggy was messed up....The space that appears to be between the 3rdtri and the : isn't there when I look at it in my User CP.
#136 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 12:44 PM

^ My doc is actually a family practitioner, so she'll manage both me AND baby in the hospital

#137 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 PM

How fantastic Tiger Lily! You're all set then!
#138 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Jumping in REALLY late!!!!

This week has been weird for me; 36 weeks though! Not feeling so many contractions now that I'm on pelvic rest, but just feeling weird all the time. Very low energy and my nesting instinct took a dive, although I've got my home visit with our midwives today so I'm trying to get up the energy to finish some baby stuff. At least I've been managing to keep my house tidy all week so no real huge cleaning needs to get done. I've also had very little motivation for MDC which is weird b/c usually I'm addicted!

Yesterday I went in to work with Dh who is a contractor. That was lots of fun to sit at his job site and watch them erect the roof tresses of the house they are building with this huge crane. It's one thing to know what your partner does for a living and quite another to see them in action! I was really impressed, let me tell you!

I also got a TON of baby clothes and swaddling blankets from the home owner on loan - they are about to ttc #2, but she let me take whatever I needed out of her stash as long as I give it back when I'm done. : That means I've got all the clothes I need now!!

B/c you ladies will understand: I found a parenting book in Dh's work truck while I was there and decided to skim through it. It wasn't too bad until I got to the part about bonding and sleeping with your baby. This isn't a direct quote b/c I don't have it in front of me, but it basically said: You sever the umbilical cord at birth, but it takes work to sever the emotional ties to your baby and you need to start immediately. WTF?!?!? :: Why on earth would I want to sever the emotional ties b/t me and my baby?!?! Well apparently b/c babies who are "overnutured" by having their needs met immediately and being allowed to sleep with their parents turn into "sissies" and "momma's boys". And that your bed should be for you and your partner only or you'll ruin your relationship! : At least when I asked Dh he said he hadn't looked at it yet, it was given to him by his Dad, and he doesn't plan on it now! I just couldn't believe it, this was a modern book written recently! :

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#139 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 PM

Amber Lion, I've heard that a lot. That jumping up immediately when ds cried wasn't the best way to do things.. he needed to learn to wait, blah blah blah. And keeping him in bed with me was such a bad idea, he'd never leave, blah blah blah.. That idea is just not for me. I say, just do what feels right to you and what comes naturally. Meeting my baby's needs asap just felt right. Having him in bed with me seemed natural. And so we did what came naturally, I never read a parenting book. And I found out around the time he was 5 mos old at a LLL meeting that there's a whole lotta people who were weird like me, and that made me feel more normal

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#140 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 04:24 PM

That book sounds wacky, Em. Speaking of ... I was on the phone with a photographer a few minutes ago and for whatever reason he started telling me how great Babywise is and was saying that if I didn't buy it, he was going to buy it for me.

Then I got a phone call from the doc's office and I'm GBS negative! :

Other than that, I'm trying to work on thank you cards, but my knuckles don't like to write lately. I may have to type the thank yous onto labels and stick them in the cards - do you all think that's too impersonal? I don't know when my fingers are going to be working right again... My other option is to get DH to write them for me, but that will require nagging.
#141 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 08:42 PM

Informal poll for mamas who have given birth before...

Are babies more active before they are born or do they generally rest? I've heard the no hiccup theory (no hiccups for 12 hours before they're born) but I haven't heard anything about how active they are before they decide to come. Just curious...

I am so restless today. I wish I could just shut down. I did 2 hypnobabies scripts and still. Argh.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#142 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 08:46 PM

I wish I could help you....I don't remember. I truely don't....I didn't even pay attention to movement. I felt it every so often and that was good enough for me lol. I think I was more focused on wondering how on earth I was going to be a parent then anything else.

Quote:
That book sounds wacky, Em. Speaking of ... I was on the phone with a photographer a few minutes ago and for whatever reason he started telling me how great Babywise is and was saying that if I didn't buy it, he was going to buy it for me.
oooh, I'd be emphatically stating "no thank you, not needed" quite firmly.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#143 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Are babies more active before they are born or do they generally rest? I've heard the no hiccup theory (no hiccups for 12 hours before they're born) but I haven't heard anything about how active they are before they decide to come. Just curious...
IMO, it's another one of those things that just doesn't have rules. Babies for the most part are less active at the end of the third tri. Some babies rest before and during labor and some are really active. Sorry it's not a better answer. I haven't been having any hiccups for a few days.

I have been getting some more ctx that are more like waves that start at the top (uncomfortable but not painful) and roll down to the bottom with a bit more of a feeling. I've also felt them in my back more and I'm having back pain that comes and goes and it's higher up so I'm thinking it's related to ctx.

My girly stuff is getting sore sometimes too....like really tender and the muscles down there ache. ????
#144 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Amber Lion- About the parenting book: who wrote that? I bet they have a lot of information on CIO too! I love the book by Meredith Small called Our Babies, Ourselves which is more of an anthropological look at how traditional cultures have raised babies: babywearing, cosleeping, breastfeeding, you know, all the good stuff.

Baby_Cakes: My Dd wasn't at all active the day she was born. Keep in mind she was in distress (meconium in the amniotic fluid) and we were working around some pretty potent pesticides in a very hot, stuffy garage all day long. I don't think my experience is normal, however, but she didn't move much that day. HTH

Okay, I have had a "stitch" in my right side for the past several days, off and on. It's so infrequent that I forgot to mention it at this week's MW appointment. Is this a kind of contraction? After reading Triple07's labor story, and remembering that I didn't notice contractions last time, I'm really curious.
#145 of 153 Old 09-26-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post

Then I got a phone call from the doc's office and I'm GBS negative! :

Other than that, I'm trying to work on thank you cards, but my knuckles don't like to write lately. I may have to type the thank yous onto labels and stick them in the cards - do you all think that's too impersonal? I don't know when my fingers are going to be working right again... My other option is to get DH to write them for me, but that will require nagging.
Congrats on GBS negative! Great news and one less thing to think/worry about! With the thank you cards, are these people that you're really close to? If they are, I'm sure they'd understand especially if when you see them again you make a point of saying, "Hey, I wanted to thank you again for the gift and make sure you got the thank you card! My joints hurt so bad that I had to type those out, I hope you understand" or something of the like. Or maybe include that in the thank you card since typing it out would be easier and a bit less time-consuming. I know my family and close friends would definitely understand and just appreciate that I acknowledged the effor of them purchasing a gift.

AAM: I had my 37wk appt today and it went just fine. I got to meet the student CNM and she's a L&D nurse at the hospital where we're delivering. It'd be awesome if she were on duty and we could request her! I really liked her. She'd already read our birth plan and was totally on board with the whole thing. : Anyway, she pretty much conducted the appt and I was really impressed with her bedside manner and such. I'm measuring at exactly 37wks and normally I measure 2 wks ahead. She said baby is really low in my pelvis so I'm sure that's why. Baby's heart rate was 168 which is super high! It's normally 145-150. Baby was really active today and had the hiccups during the appt though so I'm sure that played a part. My OB mentioned she thinks maybe baby is posterior (not sure I agree...baby seems to be LOA to me but what do I know?!) so I'll be spending a lot of time doing pelvic tilts and sitting on my stability ball instead of the couch. Any other ideas of how to get baby to turn before the birth? I know a lot turn during labor but I'd like to be proactive if I can.

Have a fantastic weekend ladies!
#146 of 153 Old 09-27-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
Baby's heart rate was 168 which is super high! It's normally 145-150. Baby was really active today and had the hiccups during the appt though so I'm sure that played a part.
Hee! Funny you should say this. Twice now the little critter's had a heartrate of 160 (normally 145-150 as well) and once was after two interns had poked around feeling for position and what-not and once was today. Little bugger had hiccups this morning - strong ones, too - and I thought that might have contributed also.

Oh my gosh y'all, I have to brag on my husband real quick. Today when I left for work I asked him to take out the trash (that should have been taken out a few days ago and unload the dishwasher so I could reload it upon getting home. I get home, and not only has he actually done both of those things (he's insanely forgetful sometimes), but he's also cleaned and slightly rearranged our living room! : I'd mentioned to him a few weeks back that I wanted him to clean up the tower thing with all the electronics on it, and he went way above and beyond. I'm so happy. Makes me feel like there's so much less to do. Yea!
#147 of 153 Old 09-27-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:

I am so restless today. I wish I could just shut down. I did 2 hypnobabies scripts and still. Argh.
I actually called my ob and went in for an NST the day before Colin was born because he'd hardly moved all day, only when provoked by me, and even that was hard to get him to move, and I was having 'little' contractions. That was around 4pm, he continued to not move much at all the rest of the evening, and the pain started around 8:30pm, and he was born 6pm the next evening.

This baby has not been very active at all today, completely out of character for her as she's a non-stop mover, unlike ds who (which is why it took me so long to realize he wasn't moving enough) was more of a pattern mover, certain times of day were his busy times. If nothing happens by tomorrow morning/afternoon, I might call my doctor just for my own peace of mind. Wish this could of happened on a week day, though, I have no interest in going to the hospital, so I hope something happens or she wakes up!

Anyone else have any experience with a baby not moving like normal, then starting back up? It's been all day like this, I hate to worry for no reason, and hate to not worry enough.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#148 of 153 Old 09-27-2008, 12:36 AM

^ yeah, I've heard that they get into more comfortable positions here and there are and are more reluctant to move. I know it seems to have been true for all 3 of mine now. I'll have days where I barely seem to feel her and then other days where I feel her ALL the time.

If you're really concerned have something sugary (like a glass of juice) and hang out on your left side for a while

#149 of 153 Old 09-27-2008, 12:38 AM

^ yes, the other day I didn't have much movement at all. Usually the baby moves quite a bit first thing in the morning and I wasn't getting any movements. I sat still for awhile to see if anything would happen and I only got a couple weak movements.

It was like this the rest of that day but movement returned to normal. I did have an appt. that day so we were able to check the heartbeat which was fine. I was glad to hear that.

I think that if anyone is ever concerned about movement that it shouldn't be regarded as 'maybe labor is going to start' and they should call their CP...that's my opinion.
#150 of 153 Old 09-27-2008, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the replies in my informal poll, ladies. I guess it matters on the LO, like I thought. Yesterday I was actually experiencing the opposite -- the most movement I'd felt in weeks from this little darlin'! I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (including my own...) but since yesterday I've been having loads of pressure waves that are pretty frequent, cervix has been twinging, lots of pressure. I've had to poop like 3 times. Been drinking lots of water and RRL tea, trying to eat. Having a few twinges of nausea here and there, but I think that was b/c I let myself get too hungry.

The pressure waves are still too mild to really "time" them, but they don't go away when I walk or move around. That being said, I can still walk and move around through them, so there's still time, I guess. But lord, am I ever irritable. Snapping at DH over everything, feeling like everything is amplified like 10 times. I feel like the house is so messy but I can't clean it, and I feel like I'm so unprepared! Argh!

Trying to have a normal Saturday around here, but we'll see what happens. Cross your fingers something starts or stops, one way or another!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page