#121 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IT'S A BOY !!!!

Brendan Lee ____________
8 lbs 13 oz 21.25 inches long
Born 8:27 pm October 19, 2008

We are at Memorial Herman NW in Houston and doing fine. The wife ended up getting a C-section after working through over 38 hours of hard back labor. Baby would not come down now matter what we tried and she would not dialate pass 4 1/2 cm. We basically ran out of time due to her being checked once the water fully broke. The midwifes at the birth center were just awsome. They only checked her Cervix twice during the 12 hours we were there. They did everything she could to try and help us get the natural childbirth we were so after. She also came with us to the Hospital and assisted me with labor and stayed till the baby was delievered. The staff here at the Hospital is very friendly and Amy is recovery and getting plenty of rest before we head home. Baby is being monitored in NICU just as a precautioner measure due to Amy developing a fever and the babies heart rate increase after we were at the hospital.

One nurse who I am considering filing a complaint against wiped straight up the crack of her behind and went straight into check the Cervix. My wife even with all the pain freaked out. She yelled " Wy did you wipe my butt". and "She wiped me from back to front" She was not happy to say the least.

I'm so glad I found this forum. You "gals" have really opened my eyes to a whole new world of information and ideas, and I believe has made me a better person.

I'm so so so proud of my wife. The strength in which she was able to go through this was simply amazing. Especially with her fear of needles, doctors, and hospitals. Also to have to go 4 weeks leaking. You have no idea on how many pads she went through, or how many gallons of water she drank to stay hydrated during that time. I don't think she will ever realize how much I care for her and how grateful I am for her to give us a son.

I'll work on getting some pictures posted in the next few days.

I'm walking on cloud right now and the view from here is simply breath taking.

Take Care.

Daryl
#122 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 AM

Big huge congrats daddy!!! Your wife sounds like a very lucky woman and so strong!!! Enjoy your new son :

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#123 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 AM

so glad to hear from you! congratulations!!!!!!::
#124 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 AM

Congrats daddy! I am so glad to hear everyone is well after how long you have been waiting. I can't wait to see pics of the little man.
#125 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM

Your wife is a rockstar!!! :Congratulations on the birth of your son: I'm sorry to hear she ended up with surgery, but am so glad everybody is doing well now. Brendan
#126 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM

Congratulations!!! :

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#127 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 AM

Congrats Amy, Daryl, and sweet baby Brendan!

Rest up and enjoy babymooning!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#128 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 AM

Oh, congrats! : Welcome to the world, little guy!
#129 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 AM

Your sweet words about your wife made me tear up. Congratulations on the birth of your little boy! :
#130 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 01:14 PM

Welcome to the world Brendan Lee! : Congrats on your beautiful boy!

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#131 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM

Congrats Daddy!!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#132 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Congrats on your new baby son!!! So glad you guys have your sweet baby at last - enjoy him!!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#133 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 PM

Congrats Daddy!!! Reading how happy and how proud of your wife you are brought a tear to my eyes; your wife is very lucky to have you! Enjoy your little one!!! :

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#134 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 03:13 PM

Many many congrats! Glad that things are ok now. Hope they let him out of the NICU soon!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#135 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM

I'm so happy to hear you have your baby now! : Congrats Daddy and good work Mommy! We're all so proud of you 2 for everything. What a hard time you had and you were both so strong!
#136 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 PM

Congrats!!! Your wife is amazing, and you are an awesome husband and dad! Rest up and enjoy your sweetie!!
#137 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 05:30 PM

: i'm full of joy for you and the new life you have.
#138 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 06:08 PM

This was a fascinating play-by-play. Thanks for sharing! It gives me hope if I have PROM again like I did with my daughter. I didn't even know the term for it until today. Wish I had waited longer like you all did. My few days of leaking had similar characteristics. Glad to hear from someone who waited it out. You guys are inspiring! My husband's aunt says she went two weeks after PROM. I just knew it was in the realm of normal.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#139 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 10:28 PM

: congrats!!

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#140 of 148 Old 10-21-2008, 11:51 PM

Congrats Daddy and Mommy! And baby Brendan : Enjoy your new little man

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#141 of 148 Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonJelly View Post
This was a fascinating play-by-play. Thanks for sharing! It gives me hope if I have PROM again like I did with my daughter. I didn't even know the term for it until today. Wish I had waited longer like you all did. My few days of leaking had similar characteristics. Glad to hear from someone who waited it out. You guys are inspiring! My husband's aunt says she went two weeks after PROM. I just knew it was in the realm of normal.

THANK YOU!

My advice on PROM. If you have it I would check your temp regularly, like every hour or two. Second buy a fetal stethoscope and learn to check the fetal heart rate. Third, Drink ALOT of water. A would also reccomend an ultrasound to check the fluid level. And finally don't ever let anyone check your cervix, or do any vaginal exams until you are in full labor. Even then I still would reccomend none, if we had to do it again.

Hopefully, you or anyone else here will never go through this.
#142 of 148 Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 AM

How is your wife doing with it all?

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#143 of 148 Old 10-22-2008, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Good new, bad news, today.

Amy is doing fine other than being a little sore, and will be released tomorrow.

Unfortunately Brendan will not be coming home with us. His blood culture has shown he has an infection of some kind. We should know more tomorrow.

You would never know it by looking at him. He looks perfectly healthy. Has a good appetite and poops just fine .

I know this had nothing to do with PROM, and only that we probably went to long once labor started and her water actually broke vs. leaking. Indicated by the rise in temp and fetal heart rate. I don't blame anyone, except myself and maybe the doc for not calling for a C-section early. IMO they should have called it as soon as they seen the change in vitals. But you really don't know until it already happens.

He has been in the level II nursery NICU and has been on antibotics since being born. So he should pull through this with no problem. He will have to stay there for 10-12 days. It is definitely hard on us not having him with us.
It will also make establishing breastfeeding more of a challange.

On a plus not Amy has started pumping today and got to try and breastfeed him in the NICU twice today. The second time they both did really well. I was so proud of them both. I told the wife I wanted her to breastfeed all over town. Then we could sue anyone that tried to stop her. It was a joke of course.
#144 of 148 Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 AM

so sorry to hear about Brenden having to stay in the NICU. We had a 4 day NICU stay for breathing problems and observation for withdrawal symptoms of a med I am taking.... Its no fun. If it makes you feel any better, we are home breastfeeding like champs now... no poblems at all! I am sure your wife and baby will work it out just fine. Thanks for the update... I think about your family everyday.
#145 of 148 Old 10-23-2008, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRC View Post
Baby would not come down now matter what we tried and she would not dialate pass 4 1/2 cm.
Congrats on such a heroically patient journey into parenthood!

re: the above quote - Just because she didn't get past 4.5 cm this time has NO bearing on her ability to birth vaginally (assuming she didn't have rickets as a child and hasn't had a severe pelvic break). Her pelvis isn't too small (though some drs may tell her this - they are wrong!). It would have no impact on her ability to VBAC, should she choose to do so.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#146 of 148 Old 10-23-2008, 08:33 AM

wow. I've just read through this whole thread and you and your wife really are an inspiration!! You were so patient and calm!! Not many people (myself included!) would have such resolve. Your wife is a really lucky lady having such support from you too...

Many many congratulations on your little boy!!!! : : :

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#147 of 148 Old 10-23-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
- Just because she didn't get past 4.5 cm this time has NO bearing on her ability to birth vaginally (assuming she didn't have rickets as a child and hasn't had a severe pelvic break). Her pelvis isn't too small (though some drs may tell her this - they are wrong!). It would have no impact on her ability to VBAC, should she choose to do so.
Thanks for your comments.

The wife has already said if we decide to have another child she won't change a thing this time and will still try for a vaginal birth, but probably at home.

When she went in to labor and we were getting ready to go to the birth center she said she could really see the appeal of a home birth. It just feels good to be home. The only thing she was worried about was the mess. But you can prepare and deal with that pretty easy. It was pretty hard on me watching her having contractions for so long with back pain. It was just awful when she got on pitocin at the hospital.
#148 of 148 Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 PM

She can VBAC, really VBAC was the least scarey thing I ever did in my life. Especailly sicne I was home, being home was so comfortable. I was afraid of the mess too.

Because the babe is on abx she might want to start dosing herself up on probiotics to prevent possible thrush and other gut problems that can be caused by abx.

Oh and CONGRATS!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page