Not feeling much baby movement - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey ladies,

I just wanted to ask you guys a question. For the last week I'm feeling SO much less movement. Every time I get worried enough to call the doctor, the baby moves. But like literally...one movement. Not moving for minutes or many seconds on end.

Last week at my prenatal I told my doctor. He said to count them at the same time each day, but the baby will not move at the same time each day. Just maybe once in the morning, maybe once at night.

I did feel hiccups tonight.

Should I be worried? Is it alright as long as he is moving in there at least once a day? (I'm editing this...I meant...only a few random movements throughout the day...primarily after I've eaten.)
#2 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmamaAgain View Post
Is it alright as long as he is moving in there at least once a day?
No, once a day is not adequate. You should be able to get at least a few movements an hour. Good luck!
#3 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM

: Once or twice a day isn't enough. I believe it's supposed to be something like 10 movements in a 3-4 hour time frame (I think.....double check with your CP).
#4 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM

This baby has slowed down significantly in the last week or so. But once a day is not enough. I would call your hcp tomorrow to be sure everythings okay in there, better safe then sorry!!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#5 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Is it worth a call to my OB tonight or just wait until the morning? (my prenatal isn't until Tuesday)

I'm trying to wiggle my belly around or anything trying to get him to move but he just won't budge.
#6 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 PM

^That's entirely up to you and what your comfort level is right now. For me, I'd call my Doula first before disturbing my OB to see what she thinks and decide from there. Wishing you the best and I hope maybe you're just not feeling all the moving your LO might actually be doing. :
#7 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 AM

did you try to drink something sweet, lay on your left side, and be very still?

i would call too... peace of mind is priceless! HUGS.
#8 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

I just tried laying on my side and drinking some OJ. I can feel him moving, he's just giving me much smaller movements I suppose. I'll see if it continues through the night and if it's still not much movement in the morning I will call my OB. But at least he's giving me little bits a reassurance. Thanks!!!
#9 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 02:23 AM

I'm the same way. I feel her moving, but it's usually at night, after dinner, or in the morning right after breakfast. I know part of my problem is where my placenta is.
#10 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 07:46 AM

Hi mama,
You should probably call just for peace of mind as pp's mentioned. But, just so know, I hardly ever felt DD1 move. I would have to really search for that once a day movement at times and she was and continues to be just perfect. I think everything from the babes positioning to your muscles determine how much you feel. We did monitor once at the hospital b/c I was sure I couldn't feel anything, but according to the monitor, despite my lack of sensation, she was a little acrobat.
HTH and good luck to you!
Monica
#11 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 AM

Nathan did that to me at the very end. He was a super mover and one day he just stopped. It scared the dayligts out of me and I called my OB. The nurse said to come in but on the way stop and get something with hight sugar contents ( she said pick my favorite candy bar and a coke) and eat/drink them on the way in. We did a NST and finally woke him up and BOY did he wake up.

He did it 2 more time before delivery. I just picked somehting up with lots of sugar ( oj, soda, candy etc) and within 15 min he was rolling again.

If your little one is moving afer you sugar them up I think your good

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#12 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
No, once a day is not adequate. You should be able to get at least a few movements an hour. Good luck!

i agree once a day is probably not adequate but this little guy does not move anywhere near a few movements an hour that i can feel. i feel him at most a few times a day.

i think all babies are different in their movements. on days when my contrax are all fraking day long i feel very very little movement..he doesnt like to move during those periods. when the contrax taper off, they i can feel him move again.
#13 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 AM

I'd call my HCP in your position and pretty much demand an NST. A late loss is one of my worst nightmares and I'd flip if my baby wasn't being active. That's just me though. Jenn the nervous nellie.
#14 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking that I don't need to now??? I just ate a candy bar (for breakfast) and so he was just giving me some movements. That should be reassuring enough, right?
#15 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 AM

^It really is up to you and how comfortable you feel with what you're experiencing and what is your body and baby's norm. If I were experiencing what you've described, I'd be calling my CP, Doula, Bradley instructor, someone that knows more than I do, because this LO is SOOOO active normally that a change in movement like that would totally freak me out but I can't feel what you're feeling and I don't know what is normal for you and your LO. And, it's totally possible that he's moving and you're not feeling it because it's small as he's out of room. Dunno. You don't sound concerned but you also don't sound convinced. You seem to be looking for someone to tell you that everything is ok and validate you given the info that we have. Let us know what you decide and I'll be thinking about you mama!
#16 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 10:49 AM

it might have something to do with the way your babe is laying in utero too. mine is as posterior as you can get and i feel every little limb twitch. i imagine if it was facing the other way, i might not feel as much.
#17 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 11:09 AM

My first pregnancy, after baby flipped head down, I couldn't feel anything. I panicked, headed into the hospital, they ran a trace, and he was moving, it just wasn't what and where I was used to feeling. Them running the trace though was very reassuring, as well as helping me figure out the "new" movements. This baby now, posterior, as a pp mentioned, and I feel every single little twitch.
#18 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM

As baby gets bigger there is less room to move and you will feel less movement. Whenever you start worrying about it, eat/drink something with a high sugar content and wait - baby will then start banging around like crazy
#19 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM

I agree with all the PPs... I always feel conflicted about whether to call my midwives or not. But I ALWAYS feel better when I call - so if its not too much trouble, maybe you should just give a call and it might be the thing you need to feel better. There are really no silly questions.

loving momma to babyboy.gif born 11/2008, and his baby brother diaper.gif5/2012, just trying to stay balanced namaste.gif

#20 of 20 Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM

First question is how far along are you. My son did the same thing to me about a week or so before I went into labor. It actually happens quite often that they're very inactive right before you go into labor. If you're that worried go into the doctors and insist they do a stress test, but try not to worry to much. Like I said my son did the same thing, and I had to do this stress test with an ultra sound to see what was going on, but the heart beat and the brain activity was good. My doctor told me that if there's anything wrong first the brain activity goes down, then the heart beat then the movement, it's very rare to see the movement go down first. If they listen to the heart beat at yhou las ob appointment, and it was strong then that's why the doctor probably isn't to worried. Towards the end of my pregnancy I only felt my son move around 3 to 5 times a day, and the doctor told me that was perfectly normal because there's less and less room in there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page