Postpartum Support Thread - How Are We Doing? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby_Cakes - You are not bad parents. Some of my kids have rolled off the bed and they are fine, it happens. Do you have a wrap? My thinking was that you could hold her on his chest with that. So far I have kind of used the covers to keep Ezekiel on my chest. I put my blankets over him and place my arms outside the blankets on both sides and hold the blankets down like that. Works so far.
I am glad everyone is doing well and I too have been saddened by the two babies who are not with us.
I got some catnip tea today to help with Ezekiel's colic. I have used it before and will try it with him and see if it helps. I need to get some deep sleep sometime soon.
Other than colic he is doing well and up to 6lbs. and 11 oz. I was sad today at my clinicals, I worked at the local cancer clinic. My dad passed away from cancer 11 yrs. ago and it was sad to work with cancer patients today. I don't think I could do it day in and day out. We are going to visit family this weekend and that should be fun.
I had my six week check up today and I got a long lecture from my Dr. about all the forms of birth control safe while you are breastfeeding,fun fun.
He thinks 6 is enough since my babies are coming earlier and smaller, I kind of agree. Less than 4 lbs. is kind of scary, even if they are healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 PM

Aw, Carrie It happens. We have a safety first net bed rail and I just swaddle my boy up and he sleeps between me and the bed rail.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I know it was an accident and I'm so glad she is perfectly fine. The pediatrician was so nice too, she consoled us and said don't feel bad, she sees it often, especially with parents who are just so exhausted that they do whatever it takes to get the baby to sleep - including having the baby sleep on them - and the babies are usually just fine. Whew. I was nervous going to the ped b/c I didn't want them to think we were endangering our baby or being neglectful. I'm so happy she's okay. It feels like a bad dream, really.

So I looked at the bed rails. They all said not to put them on an adult bed. What's up with that? Were we not looking at the right thing? We ended up getting a sleep positioner for her and we are really going to try to keep her in the bassinet. Worst case, she's sleeping on me or b/w us. I too have read that fathers aren't as aware of babies being on or near them as mamas are. So no more of that. Chris is terrified of it happening again anyway, and he feels SO guilty (I don't blame him, I would too).

ANYWAYS.

Glad everyone else is doing well! We are actually doing just fine, now that we know Nora is ok. She is acting perfectly normal like her usual self, so life goes on. Just another day as a brand new mama.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Thanks guys. I know it was an accident and I'm so glad she is perfectly fine. The pediatrician was so nice too, she consoled us and said don't feel bad, she sees it often, especially with parents who are just so exhausted that they do whatever it takes to get the baby to sleep - including having the baby sleep on them - and the babies are usually just fine. Whew. I was nervous going to the ped b/c I didn't want them to think we were endangering our baby or being neglectful. I'm so happy she's okay. It feels like a bad dream, really.

So I looked at the bed rails. They all said not to put them on an adult bed. What's up with that? Were we not looking at the right thing? We ended up getting a sleep positioner for her and we are really going to try to keep her in the bassinet. Worst case, she's sleeping on me or b/w us. I too have read that fathers aren't as aware of babies being on or near them as mamas are. So no more of that. Chris is terrified of it happening again anyway, and he feels SO guilty (I don't blame him, I would too).

ANYWAYS.

Glad everyone else is doing well! We are actually doing just fine, now that we know Nora is ok. She is acting perfectly normal like her usual self, so life goes on. Just another day as a brand new mama.
Carrie, I used to sleep with Colin cradled in my left arm. If I wasn't in that exact position, sometimes I'd sleep too deeply and not remember he was there. One night when he was 2-3wks old after a feeding I feel asleep with my arm up above my head rather then around/under him, and awoke to him screaming.. because I'd pulled my arm down and hit him in the head It was the worst cry I've ever heard, I swear it still haunts me Dh was out to see, so I was left to feel like a shitty parent alone, and vowed to not sleep with him in bed with me again. He was fine, of course, and after a several nights of trying to get him to sleep on his own, I brought him back into bed with me because well. It never happened again, I think that that incident really made me aware, and I stopped sleeping so soundly (which I think would've happened anyway once the pure exhaustion stage was over & I was more comfortable and used to being a mom), instead his every little movement seemed to wake me. He'll be two next month, and is in his own room, and I still wake up when he rolls over and hits the side of his crib or makes a noise! Accidents happen, to everyone! I'm glad that she's okay!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 AM

baby cakes, can you just push the bed against the wall? F wants to be held all night long, i hold her on the side of the bed that's flush to the wall, so if I dropped her she'd go to the wall or dh on the other side.

i also wanted to post and comfort you on your other thread--ds was ff and is fine and one of the healthiest kids i know--only 1 ear infection. i quit bfing him after 5 weeks beause he was so small and sleepy i had to do the whole bf, supplement, pump thing everytime we fed him and it was so tiring. i hated the pumping the most so i totally sympathize. youre doing a wonderful thing for your baby and another baby too if you donate the milk!

on another note, how's weightloss going for everyone? I lost 25 lbs the first wk but only 3 the last two... (I ganed 53 so i have a lot to lose!!)

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
Old 10-16-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qestia View Post
baby cakes, can you just push the bed against the wall? F wants to be held all night long, i hold her on the side of the bed that's flush to the wall, so if I dropped her she'd go to the wall or dh on the other side.

i also wanted to post and comfort you on your other thread--ds was ff and is fine and one of the healthiest kids i know--only 1 ear infection. i quit bfing him after 5 weeks beause he was so small and sleepy i had to do the whole bf, supplement, pump thing everytime we fed him and it was so tiring. i hated the pumping the most so i totally sympathize. youre doing a wonderful thing for your baby and another baby too if you donate the milk!

on another note, how's weightloss going for everyone? I lost 25 lbs the first wk but only 3 the last two... (I ganed 53 so i have a lot to lose!!)
Thanks for this. The formula thing is still such a struggle for me so it helps to hear and see other mamas who do use it or have used it. I'm really trying hard with the pumping. I'm getting 27-29 oz a day, and it is so incredibly exhausting. I just want to keep these boobies working just in case Nora is fine! I will do it for her! But I swear, I forget that I'm still technically lactating and should be eating just as much and drinking just as much and resting just as much as any nursing mother, and I'm just not. It's just too much.

Weight wise - I'm surprised with myself! I weighed myself on Tuesday and I was down 20 lbs! Huzzah! I too gained 50 so I still have a ways to go, but I can see differences in my body every day. My belly button has sunk back in and looks almost normal! Woo hoo! I still can't fit in my pre preg jeans and I went to the mall the other day (with Nora and Chris, it was an adventure to say the least) to see if I could just get a larger size - but even the 12's didn't get up over my hips! So I'm still in mat jeans. I am wearing non mat shirts, though my boobies are too big for a lot of my old tops. I was a 34AA and now my giant milk filled boobs are busting out of a 36B!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 PM

Jumping in mostly to subscribe to the thread, I'll catch up with everyone here now that my mom left this morning, I'll have more "free time" on my hands.

We're doing pretty darn great here. Elina nurses well (a relief since I had issues with sleepy baby/lazy latch with ds), although she cluster feeds pretty much all night, I can't imagine how I'd cope if I didnt have her in the bed with me lol. I'd never get any sleep!

Milk question! My milk definitely came in, but I didn't go through any engorgement (boobs are definitely bigger, but no engorgement), I'm having no leaking whatsoever, I only get a bit of a tingle if she sleeps longer than 2 - 2/1/2 hours.... it's got me somehow worried that my milk didn't come in enough or something? With ds I got a slight fever and woke up to boobs as hard as rocks, then leaked constantly for the first few months. So I don't get how I could not feel a thing and not have any leaking this time around. It's been a year since ds stopped nursing, and it was only like once a day for quite a while before then anyway. Elina is having the right amount of wet/soiled dipes, but... I just don't get it! Anyone have any thoughts?

As for me, my stitches are finally not bothering me as much, although all my muscles down there still ache. They did some massive work in a very short amount of time and I definitely feel it! I weighed myself yesterday and I've got about 13 pounds to get back to pp weight - although with fuller boobs I don't intend to get down that far for awhile, I did not do well health wise down at that weight when nursing ds anyway. I feel pretty decent considering, bought a pair of size 5 pants to wear for now. Last time I had to buy size 11 for the first few weeks so I was happy - it would be nice to get back into prepregnancy clothes sooner than later because I really can't afford to go buy a new wardrobe.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM

I haven't weighed in a few days but last time I did I was exactly 20 pounds above my pre pregnancy weight. I'm going to start walking again when DH goes back to work. It's hard for me to get motivated with him sitting around all day. I'm wearing yoga pants and my secret fit pants folded down for now. I'm hoping to be back to my ppw by Christmas.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:29 PM

I'm feeling a bit slow on the losing weight part. I had an emergency c-section and now it's so hard to even move around the house- let alone exercise. I'm wearing my secret fit pants. When I weighed myself 1 week pp I was exactly 15 pounds down. I've still got about 25 to go and hope to get there before christmas since I perform a lot and have my first performance around christmas.

I'm really thrilled though! I just came from the pediatrician and my baby has finally made it back to his birth weight (and a little further). I'm concerned though that I'm not making enough milk. I don't know if I just need to drink a lot or what! I pumped this morning because he was being lazy latching on (he just wants to sleep all the time...I don't know if it was because he was a few weeks early). I was only able to pump exactly 2 ounces and I had to fight for that much.

Besides all of that...I'm here still lovin' my babe to pieces.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
So I looked at the bed rails. They all said not to put them on an adult bed. What's up with that?
I hadn't heard that about them before. Here's the one we have... http://www.target.com/First-Secure-C...%20rail&page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qestia View Post
The last time I weighed I was 4-5lbs from my pre-preg weight, but I was about 20lbs heavier than my ideal weight when I got preg. I have work to do. I plan on getting back into exercising in a few weeks. I've been wearing yoga pants or my non-maternity looking smaller maternity pants, the ones that only fit through the 2nd trimester. I'm loving my nursing shirts I got while preg. They're convenient and don't look at all like nursing shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
Milk question! My milk definitely came in, but I didn't go through any engorgement (boobs are definitely bigger, but no engorgement), I'm having no leaking whatsoever, I only get a bit of a tingle if she sleeps longer than 2 - 2/1/2 hours.... it's got me somehow worried that my milk didn't come in enough or something? With ds I got a slight fever and woke up to boobs as hard as rocks, then leaked constantly for the first few months. So I don't get how I could not feel a thing and not have any leaking this time around. It's been a year since ds stopped nursing, and it was only like once a day for quite a while before then anyway. Elina is having the right amount of wet/soiled dipes, but... I just don't get it! Anyone have any thoughts?
I was super engorged with my first couple of bf babies, leaked for months, and always felt a strong letdown sensation. With future babies it's been much less so. I had a couple of days of engorgement, almost no leaking, and hardly ever feel the letdown. I can only tell when I letdown because ds starts gulping, or maybe very occasionally I might feel a slight tingle when ds has slept a long spell. I've read that it's totally normal to not get as engorged or have leaking with subsequent babies, because your body self regulates the supply quicker. As long as your baby is having plenty of wet/dirty dipes and is gaining weight, then you have plenty of milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmamaAgain View Post
I'm really thrilled though! I just came from the pediatrician and my baby has finally made it back to his birth weight (and a little further). I'm concerned though that I'm not making enough milk. I don't know if I just need to drink a lot or what! I pumped this morning because he was being lazy latching on (he just wants to sleep all the time...I don't know if it was because he was a few weeks early). I was only able to pump exactly 2 ounces and I had to fight for that much.
How old is your baby? They are supposed to regain their birth weight by 2wks, so if he's 2wks and has regained his birth weight then you must have plenty of milk. How much you get from a pump isn't a good indicator of supply. Babies are way more efficient at removing the milk. My baby sleeps a lot too. In a few weeks they'll be much more wakeful.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:18 PM

I was just wondering...what is everyone doing to try and drop a few pounds? I had a c-section and it feels so hard to do much. I gave birth 10 days ago and even though my stomach has shrunk a bunch, I have this HUGE pouch that feels so swollen and tender to touch still.

Anyone have any ideas? I am nursing (even though that is getting the best of me. I feel like a milk machine). I wonder as I look at the gallon of milk in my refrigerator...if it takes this much for me to get out a few ounces every few hours, I would hate to be a cow.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:12 PM

AmamaAgain, There's not much you can do at this point to encourage weight loss since it's just not safe yet. Your body needs more time to heal before becoming active again and you can't really change your diet/caloric intake as you need it to nurse. I would just make sure you're eating healthy foods.

Well, crazy news in my world. My sister got some blood work results this morning and has Mono! *sigh* Poor thing bawled when her dr said she couldn't be around Ally Rae at all for a month. My mom asked me to call Ally's dr and see what he had to say about the whole situation because she's already been exposed and I've never had mono so I don't have immunities to give her via BF'ing. His nurse called me back and said my sis could be in the same room but couldn't have any direct contact with Ally for 3wks and she's not terribly concerned about her already being exposed. I feel so bad for my sis. This is the 2nd time she's had mono and it's killing her that she can't love on her 1st niece.

I weighed myself on Tues (exactly 1wk PP) and I'm within 10lbs of my pre pregnancy weight!!! YES! : I put my regular navel ring back in today and my belly button looks almost normal again. I meant to take a "belly pic" on Tues and forgot. I'll have to take one later on today, if I can remember.

I can't believe my original EDD is tomorrow. It's odd to think that she's already 9 days old and I'm not even 40wks yet.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmamaAgain View Post
I was just wondering...what is everyone doing to try and drop a few pounds? I had a c-section and it feels so hard to do much. I gave birth 10 days ago and even though my stomach has shrunk a bunch, I have this HUGE pouch that feels so swollen and tender to touch still.

Anyone have any ideas? I am nursing (even though that is getting the best of me. I feel like a milk machine). I wonder as I look at the gallon of milk in my refrigerator...if it takes this much for me to get out a few ounces every few hours, I would hate to be a cow.
O/T - Sorry but I just have to say that's one of the many many reasons why I'm vegan. Imagine having your baby taken from you and being hooked up to milking machines. Not a pretty thought at all.

Anyways, I think you need to take more time to heal before you start adding any exercise in, mama. I'm not doing anything yet and I had a vaginal birth. I mean, I'm up and around the house just fine, doing stairs just fine, etc, but I'm not exercising. DH, Nora, and I went for a really (and I mean really) short walk the other day and I was exhausted from it.

I'm having an identity crisis, I think. I'm not a nursing mother but I'm lactating. I'm pumping oz and oz of milk, and I'm starving and thirsty just like a normal nursing mother, but I'm not nursing. What does that make me? What is my role right now? I feel so helpless and pointless. I guess I don't really need an answer (not that there is one) but I need to sort through my feelings and I know you guys understand how hard this is for me. It is definitely not the happy and loving babymoon I imagined.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 PM

Carrie.

I've been there and it sucks. My second baby couldn't thrive on breastmilk unless it was highly fortified so I had to pump and bottle feed her. Not the same I know but I just wanted to offer up some understanding and empathy.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 PM

Carrie, that has got to be so hard. Lots of to you for sure.

I went for about a 20 minute walk with Elina today and I definitely felt it in my perineal area - and that was just a 20 minute walk! So I will definitely be taking it slowly with exercise. It's hard, especially because this pregnancy definitely put some junk in my trunk lol. But I am not willing to screw up my healing down there for sure!

Speaking of, I took a look down there and I sure am glad to have six weeks to heal it up lol. The swelling from pregnancy is gone but where I tore just looks... scary!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 PM

Well, I am finally back on here. Teagan was hospitalized on Sunday for a high fever and had to have IV antibiotics. We were released last night. It was really hard going back to the hospital, sleeping, eating, showering, hardly ever leaving the room. Makes me realize how much I really hated the NICU.

He was also diagnosed with failure to thrive while at the hospital. He is now on Similac Neosure formula and only nurses 2-3 times a day.

Tuesday was my "due date" and he is already 5 weeks old!

I moved in with my mother the week before he was born. From Indiana, to virginia. Just to have some type of support for the birth. That meant I had to leave my other 3 children behind with my ex husband. Well, I only have less than 2 weeks to go back home. I miss my other children like mad, and I can't wait for them to meet their little brother.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 PM

Forgot to add:

I am 16 lbs. under my pre pregnancy weight. I only gained 7 lbs. my whole pregnancy though. So I went from 135 pre pregnant to 142 the day of delivery and now I weigh 119. I had a very stressful life during pregnancy and the baby basically stole all my viatamins and fat etc. Really not healthy at all. So now the only clothes I own are falling off of me. I look like I am wearing my husbands jeans (if I had a husband lol ). When get around to it, I will post a pp belly pic too.

Oh, I am 5 weeks pp though, so I have had a little more time to lose the weight.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 PM

Oh! I forgot to ask!

Water Retention...

I'm about 10 days pp but the water is still not coming off. I had so many bags of fluid given to me at the hospital. I have 3 bags before my c-section. Another 2 in the C-section. One in recovery. And several over the 24 hours after delivery. That is a LOT of water weight and swelling. What can I be doing
?

And I'm so proud of you all for being so close to your prepregnancy weights. I definitely have 25 to shed.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:54 AM

I went for a walk to the park yesterday (10 days pp) and pulled the kids in the wagon while carrying the baby in the sling. It whooped me. DD wanted to go again today and I had to decline her. Definitely not ready for excercise yet but so ready to start losing my belly....I have nothing to wear. Even less than when I was pregnant.

Carrie - you are still a nursing mother, you are just on hold right now. You have the same motherly role you had before. To care for and nurture your baby. This can be done without the actual act of breastfeeding. You are more of a nursing mother than I am right now because you do continue to pump....I probably would have given up by now and said to heck with it.... and be lazy about the whole thing. I applaud you and your commitment.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the support guys. I have to admit I have my moments where I'm just done with all of this. I feel like it's physically impossible to bottle feed her formula, pump, and console her all by myself. Chris has to go to work on Monday and I swear, I don't know how I'm going to manage on my own from 9-5. This morning I got so frustrated trying to feed her while she sat in her little baby seat, while pumping one breast at a time - the other breast starts leaking everywhere soaking my shirt, plus all the hormones start flowing. I just had had it. I admit I threw some things and had a fit for a few minutes. This Mama is reaching the end of her rope.

That said, I have over a gallon of breastmilk in my freezer. Over a gallon. Geesh!

I got a postpartum belly wrap thing that I really should be wearing, LOL, if I want it to help. If I manage to get a shower today I'll wear it, that's my goal. I too want to be back to my prepreg weight by Christmastime! We can do it!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:52 PM

I agree with janasmama. Carrie, you are definitely still a nursing mother and I too admire your committment to keeping your supply up. I can only imagine how much of a hassle it all must be to be feeding Nora AND pumping! You're working overtime mama!

We took Ally Rae into one of the gyms where I teach last night to see a few of my co workers. It really made me miss working out and teaching. I'm looking forward to the time when I feel like I can keep up enough to take a class. My goal is to try to do half of a class at 3wks PP and build up to a full class by 6wks PP. I don't think I'm going to end up having problems dropping the weight. I'm down to 133 and I was 125 pre pregnancy and I'm shocked and thrilled! I'm so proud of my body for staying strong and healthy through something as trying as pregnancy and labor/birth! I can't wear my normal pants yet but I can get my "fat pants" buttoned and have just a bit of belly that hangs over; too much to wear them out yet but close! I'd love to be back to my regular clothes by mid December because DH has his company Christmas party then and as an executive's wife, I have to look good!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:02 AM

Carrie- You ARE a nursing momma!!!! Just because it's going directl into the baby doesn't disqualify you!!!!

Please try not to be so hard on yourself, it's hard enough to be a first time momma- you should really be eating, feeding Nora, resting and pumping, and that's IT!!!

AAM- well, I'm happy to say that my girly parts are mostly comfortable, if a bit itchy now and then. I'm normally a commando kind of a girl, so wearing undies and pads for me is like wearing a wet suit 24/7! Even with my Momma cloth, which are super soft and fun, I'm still wearing something next to my skin. . . oh well.

Most of my extra fluid is gone, and I feel like I have successfully avoided an oversupply this time around. With a HUGE storage capacity, a let down like Niagra Falls, and teeny tiny nipples, I had big probs with DS1, but things seem under control for now. Milo has figured out how to stimulate the let down on my right side (the really fast one) and kind of 'sip' until the hugeness is past. I'm going to actually fit into the nursing bras I bought!

Milo is sleeping pretty well, but he's had an hour/hour and a half awake stretch in the early morning. I end up with two receiving blankets tucked under/around Milo, and soaking them while nursing. But, then he sleeps three or four hours, so I'm happy.

DS is actually adjusting to Milo, when he wakes him up, he wants to kiss the baby, and then goes back to bed.

I can't think of anything else right now. . . but i'm glad you all are here!!!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 10-18-2008, 12:28 AM

I wanted to jump in, if you'll all have me... I've been so busy with the boys, I hardly have time to read, but I miss you all! If there's just one thread to read, maybe I can make it happen!

Carrie, here's a tip that helped me a lot: take a sports bra and cut small holes where your nipples are - insert the pump horns and voila, you have a hands-free pumping bra. It worked for me for a long time, just make sure it's tight. It may or may not be of comfort to you to know that you're not alone in BFing challenges. I'm still having to supplement the boys with formula. I often have to put one in the boppy across from me and feed him a bottle while trying to nurse the other using a lact-aid. Not fun, believe me.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
Old 10-18-2008, 12:54 AM

Hi Mommies,
You all have been talkative....

((((((Carrie))))))) Your doing awesome, when do you find out the test results for whether or not your daughter can handle your milk? I'd probably be counting down the days/hrs.. if I were you!

Of course we'll have you Celeste .. it's great to see you back .... ((hugs)) enjoy those sweet boys!

As for weightloss, I've lost 16lbs .. and gained 53 .... I'm over 2 weeks PP and the rest isn't budging lol. I wouldn't care so much if it weren't that I know 'most' of it is in my rear and thighs .. yuck! I'm sure everyone's 'mileage' may vary and you should probably talk with your healthcare provider to be sure first but.. I do, kegels (well some I forget all to often.. but I'm 'allowed to') and I 'suck my belly button in toward my back' and hold it there.. to strenghten the abdominal muscles.

Honestly my stomach is probably only about 4 inches larger in the waist then it was pre-preg .... it's just my boobs and rear/thighs that are mega sized lol. I'm sorry but when I saw someone refer to boob size.. I always want to laugh ..... cause most people haven't even 'heard' of my sizes lol .. I'm in like a 34I right now ... and wore a 32HH pre-preg (nursing a toddler though). I have either been nursing or pregnant for almost 5 yrs now.... yikes! I think we may try to go out and buy me some stretchy pants tomorrow, I only have capris and shorts (most of which are maternity) that fit me right now, and it's getting to cold here for those! Usually pre-preg I'd wear a size 10 pants, but there's no way these hips and thighs will even go into those right now , so I'm hoping for a 12 or 14 if I must.. to fit me for now.

Samuel is doing well, he has 1-2 times in the day where he does what I call 'marathon nursing' which is like 2-3 hrs or so of nursing.. sigh Otherwise he'll go anywhere from 2-4 hrs between feeds.. sometimes 5 hrs (but that puts me in pain by then!). We are doing much better with the latch, it's just taken me being VERY diligent in teaching him to latch proper at EVERY feed .. sigh I'm still used to my last nursling (19 months when he weaned) who was a champ at nursing from the start. But this one needs to be 'taught' oh well. So with better latch he's forgotten that he had a 'favorite side' and now takes both equally well (yay no more lopsided boobs LOL!).

We are also using a bed rail on our queen size bed to help keep baby from falling while we sleep together. I dropped my baby too, only thankfully he fell towards Daddy (I was sitting up in bed nursing him and must have drifted off!), still it was about a 8-12 inch dropped and scared me horribly! Funny the baby didn't even wake up ha.. he was fine. Took me over an hour to go back to sleep after that happened, and I ended up sleeping upright on the sofa recliners with pillows beside me so I couldn't drop him! So after that I slept on the sofa recliners until we got the bed rail, which looks just like the one linked from Target (I got mine used).

I'm either holding, nursing, or babywearing my baby most of the day, he gets 'worn' a lot when the older kids need attention or during meal times. Although 9 times out of 10 he wakes up hungry right when I sit down with a plate of food (twerp lol.. I can even feed him before hand.. doesn't help ha).

So far I wear him in my maya wrap sling the most, because it's so easy to put him in and out of it, and he's cozy in there. Sometimes I use my Mei Tai's which really support my shoulders and back much better, but take longer to put on.

How are ya'll doing with your cloth? So far Samuel hasn't touched a disposable diaper, he's been in either prefolds or fitted cloth dipes since birth, hasn't been any need/reason to use disposable. Especially since the older boys use cloth so we hardly notice the laundry difference to have a few more dipes in the mix. I got a huge amount of diaper covers.. bought some and was given many, I thought it was silly having so much before the baby.. but I'm glad we have them now lol! Between BF poop and his cord stump (it used to leak a little) we've gone through a lot of them some days.

Hmm I think I'm hungry again.. may need to sling the babe and see if I can find some food (I'd give him to DH normally at this time of day.. but he is making a grocery run since we accidentally ran out of things lol).

TTYL girls,
~Rae~

ETA: Wanted to add a picture I took today of Samuel ... he's just over 2 weeks old (okay 17 days old since he was born on the 1st) but he hardly looks new to me anymore!
My Sweet Samuel: http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...l/img_7884.jpg

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

Old 10-18-2008, 01:40 AM

I'm doing okay here. I've been having a hard time emotionally. Poor DH. . . every time he turns around I'm crying again. I always go through this about the second postpartum week--just feeling like the world is going to end and getting really weepy. But this time it's been compounded by the whole c-section thing.

I'm really pretty okay with the c-section as it was necessary and life-saving (placental abruption), but I hate that I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and still in pain and unable to do a lot of things yet. By this point with my 2 vag deliveries I was out running around and doing all kinds of things. I hate that I can't wear my 8-ish lb baby in the sling for even an hour without it wiping me out and making my incision hurt like crazy for the rest of the day.

I'm 4 lbs away from my pre-baby weight and was able to go out today in ALL non-maternity clothes : I'm still wearing mat. pants most of the time though because they're easier on my incision.

Baby is doing well. She had regained her birthweight exactly on Monday at the doc (she was 2 weeks old on Tuesday). Nursing is going beautifully and so far she seems to be a really mellow, easy baby. My second child was SO high needs and I was terrified that we'd encounter a lot of the same issues again. I'm hoping this mellow-ness continues once we're out of the sleepy newborn stage.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Old 10-18-2008, 01:59 AM

Hello!

Good to hear from you Celeste! That was a great idea for the hands-free pumping.

I'm feeling really great although I have nothing to wear. I need to go buy some stretchy pants. I didn't really keep any weight in my hips, I still have a wide waist (basically no waist line) and a pooch. I can't wait to do some sit ups.

We only have 22 prefolds and we are having to do a load everyday. Then we have to wash DS dipes every other. Between all the clothes that I've gotten sine the baby was born and my DD constantly changing, I haven't stopped doing laundry.

Annie nurses like a champ and i haven't had any nipple soreness at all....she never stops nursing though. Seriously. Never. I feel like i can't get anything done. She needs the boob to sleep with also.

I'm getting to know her way better though now, so i'm sure she'll be changing anytime now and sending us for a tailspin.

I'm going to weigh Annie tomorrow to see where she's at. At 6 days she was down to 7.8 which was 10 ounces under her birth weight.

I am getting a bit of cabin fever....my dad is coming to visit tomorrow which is nice but he smokes and i so don't weant him to hold A. we're having a Birthday celebration for Annie on Monday since there was no baby shower so it will be nice to see some people then.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:22 AM

Rae - I could identify with a lot of what you wrote! I too have been doing the kegels and sucking my belly button in towards my back. After 8 babies my muscles need the work! I had to laugh too at the bra thing. 34H here, and I've been nursing or pregnant for the last 11yrs.

My ds is also doing the marathon nursing thing. He's pretty much been doing it in the late evening and going down for a long stretch around midnight, but last night it went on into the middle of the night. I felt like a zombie all day today as a result of it. He's been super sleepy this afternoon and this evening and not eating as much, so I'm afraid we're in for another late bedtime. I cannot wake him and make him nurse much when he's so sleepy either. The kid is too laid back and sort of a lazy nurser as is. At least he sleeps a nice long 4-5hr stretch after the marathon sessions.

I'm liking my ring sling the best too, because of easy in and out. I haven't used the Hotsling or BabyHawk yet. The BH seems like too much work to get on and off right now.

I'm loving cloth diapering a nb again. I also have a huge stash of covers(10-12), and we're using them all! Ds is a super pooper, lol, and by wash day(every 2-3days) we're on our last cover or two. So glad I have extras.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
Hello!
Annie nurses like a champ and i haven't had any nipple soreness at all....she never stops nursing though. Seriously. Never. I feel like i can't get anything done. She needs the boob to sleep with also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
My ds is also doing the marathon nursing thing. He's pretty much been doing it in the late evening and going down for a long stretch around midnight, but last night it went on into the middle of the night. I felt like a zombie all day today as a result of it. He's been super sleepy this afternoon and this evening and not eating as much, so I'm afraid we're in for another late bedtime. I cannot wake him and make him nurse much when he's so sleepy either. The kid is too laid back and sort of a lazy nurser as is. At least he sleeps a nice long 4-5hr stretch after the marathon sessions.
All this sounds quite familiar to me! Elina just always wants to nurse. Always. I was pleasantly surprised last night though, she did her marathon nursing earlier in the evening, from about 8 to 10. Still nursed plenty throughout the night but not in her wakeful stage. Maybe it's a sign she's ready to be more awake during the day? {hopeful}

However.. I cant figure out why she's not pooping!!! Plenty of pees, but no poos in a couple days.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
However.. I cant figure out why she's not pooping!!! Plenty of pees, but no poos in a couple days.
My Annie didn't poop for 5 days...she finally pooped a big one yesterday. I had read somewhere that their intestines are absorbing everything...which is good. not sure how much truth there is to that though.

But, I do know that it's a variation of normal and I don't think that all babies poop everyday. My first DD didn't poop for 10 days when she was a newborn.

My fave sling right now is my kangaroo pouch. I have a maya wrap also and I think pouches are so much easier. I also have a moby wrap but haven't used it yet.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
My fave sling right now is my kangaroo pouch. I have a maya wrap also and I think pouches are so much easier. I also have a moby wrap but haven't used it yet.

mine, too. we have 4 of these in our house and they get used constantly. (we have 3 adults living here, plus my sis who comes over to help frequently) i've also staerted using the ring sling so they can see out now that they're becoming more alert. here's me slinging one and bottle feeding the other... if i mae this only a bit bigger, i can lt the babe in the sling nurse, too! my parents were just visiting & also loved the kangaroo, and it made me feel less antsy that a baby would be dropped.

that's all the time i have right now.....xoxo

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press

User Tag List