Postpartum Support Thread - How Are We Doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it's early in October yet but with the recent births of so many babies I was hoping to get a PP thread started so we can sort of support each other with each of these milestones. It might be a slow thread since we've all got our hands and hearts full of love right now, but I seriously need a place to just sort of dump all my concerns and joys. And plus, I think since I'm a 1st time mama, I could use the support of other mama's who have BTDT.

Nursing is so much more difficult than I thought it would be. I'm terrrified that her latch isn't "right" even though everything I read tells me it is. Nora is definitely using her entire jaw, opening wide, gulping, etc, but my nips are so sore that I'm just worried it isn't first week soreness but bad latch soreness. I had my midwives look at our latch and they said it was good. Why am I questioning it, then? Geez.

Nora is 5 days old today, her cord stump is just about to fall off. It hit me today and already I'm crying about it! I can't believe how quickly 5 days went by! I definitely have a touch of the blues, but am able to realize it and try to just breathe through the emotions. The hormones are definitely something to get used to!

Also, I'm proud to say that this morning, after much fear and anticipation, I had my first PP BM. Whew, am I glad that is OVER! And you know what? The fear was the hardest part. It wasn't bad. It didn't hurt one freaking bit, and my tummy feels so much better!

We got good sleep last night. So now I'm like, is she sleeping too much?

I'm questioning EVERYTHING. I didn't realize at all that I would feel so full of doubt! It's such a odd thing - please tell me that it's normal!

Overall though, things are going great. When I'm not being a paranoid booger, that is, and when we're all just hanging around chilling and enjoying each other, being on this side is absolutely fantastic.

So, how is it going for you?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Great idea on the thread....I didn't know where to put this stuff.

I'm a second time mama and can tell you I feel a lot more confident on the nursing stuff (not so worried about it being "right" etc.)...and even so, there is no way around it...the nipples are sore for the first few weeks. It will get better every day as their little tiny bird mouths get bigger.

I've had my emotional wreck moments. I'm convinced I'm the world's worst mother to my three year old because I feel all I do is grouse at her or feel cranky about her three year old energy. I especially feel awful when she's snugging up withher sister (who she calls "my gorgeous") and I think...how can I even be so annoyed with such a sweet girl? It's tough balancing between the two girls right now, and I know rationally Nell doesn't notice my guilt like I do. Sigh.

I'm also feeling the blues about the pregnancy being over. As much as I don't love being pregnant (it's tough for me with the 9 months of vomitting etc.), I am pretty sure that was my last pregnancy. So, I mourn never feeling a little body inside me again....but then again, the end product is pretty fantastic so I don't dwell on it too much. I know life will carry us away to new adventures and new things to do as a Mom (even second time around).

My husband is, as usual, just great about it all. He's kept me on an even keel more or less.

Lilith (aka. Midge, Pidge, and Lily Pill) is one week old today! How is that possible? She's waking up more and more to the world. Her little yellow skin and eyes are starting to look less yellow. She's actually starting to focus when she looks at you...and trying to use her little hands. Too cute. She also smiles and giggles in her sleep just like her sister used to do....it slays us. I remember with Nell, every milestone is so bittersweet...

Hang in there with the nursing...your nipples will make it!!!! With every day, it will get easier and you guys will figure out your nursing relationship.
#3 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 04:47 PM

I'm doing good. Just still recovering from my c-section, so I'm taking it easy a lot of the time. Dh has the entire month off : and he's very supportive, so I feel like I can just relax and enjoy my babymoon!

I hear you on the PP BM thing. . . that has NOT successfully resolved itself here yet, but I'm hoping soon. Surgery plus narcotics really does a number on your guts! Emotional-wise I'm doing really well. Better than I did with my other two. I just find myself getting really emotional over odd things and at odd times. I'm having a hard time with the fact that DH has had to help me with some really intimate personal care stuff, like changing the dressing on my wound. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but some of it is the fact that he's supposed to find me sexy and attractive (he reassures me that he still does) but he's seeing me at my grossest and worst right now.

Baby_Cakes--my baby arrived with a textbook latch this time and I didn't have any soreness for the first several days, but then it started anyway. Really some of it is just hormonal and will get better on it's own. Does the pain go away after the first 15-60 seconds of nursing? Or does it hurt the entire nursing session? Any nipple damage or trauma?

Can I just say that I LOVE co-sleeping? We didn't with our first because we were afraid of "starting bad habits" and he preferred his own space anyway. We did it out of sheer desperation with our second baby. This time around I'm doing it out of pure convenience. Really, I don't know how anyone EBFs and doesn't co-sleep (even though I did it the first time around)! I feel like I'm getting a good night's sleep even though I wake up a few times a night to pee/take some pills/latch her on/etc.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#4 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
Baby_Cakes--my baby arrived with a textbook latch this time and I didn't have any soreness for the first several days, but then it started anyway. Really some of it is just hormonal and will get better on it's own. Does the pain go away after the first 15-60 seconds of nursing? Or does it hurt the entire nursing session? Any nipple damage or trauma?
It's the most painful at the initial latch, then it's fine once she gets like 10 or so gulps out of the way. Then I can breathe. Then I can sort of relax and it doesn't "hurt" - it's just not comfortable. But no nipple damage at all, maybe some redness. No blistering, no bleeding, no cracking. Just sore.

That and she's really having trouble latching on my left breast. I have been using a shell since the first day b/c I had a feeling my nipple was flat, and when she couldn't latch on that side but did wonderfully on the other, I figured that was the case. Well, she gets on maybe 1 time out of three. My boob is so engorged, and I keep trying to nurse her on that side, but she gets so frustrated when she can't latch - either b/c it's flat or too big. I'm going to post about it in bf'ing challenges and see what people say. Any advice? I'm thinking about pumping on that side just to get some milk out and possibly make it easier for her to latch?

The other big deal right this second is that we took her to the ped today. Ugh, I'm not sure I like this ped anymore. She is pushy. Anyway, she thought Nora looked too jaundiced and sent us to the hospital to have her billirubin checked. We're waiting on results now. It was such a freaking ordeal to go to the hospital and wait and poor Nora had to have her heel pricked and didn't like it. And I'm terrified her levels are going to be too high and she'll have to be admitted. Hopefully she is ok. Hopefully she is fine.

ETA: Her level was 16.1 - so we have to go back tomorrow to have her levels checked again. She's hanging out in the sunshine right now. Wish us luck guys! We want these levels going down...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 07:34 PM

Carrie re: your left boob...have you tried different positions? We were making fun of Lilith earlier this week and calling her zoolander b/c she would only latch on if she were laying on her right side...plus she (like her big sister) hated my right boob....I tried a football hold on the right side and "tricked" her into thinking it was my left boob...sort of.

Today, suddenly,my boobs aren't as sore and the intitial pain when she first latches is either gone or very brief. Additionally I was able to stand the shower on my breasts for the first time in days.

I am currently really liking the sprayable lanolin vs the ointment...I try to keep that liberally sprayed on and am wearing breastpads to provide additional protection of any rubbing against the nipples.

Wow...I've never written in such detail about my breasts before...

there you go!
#6 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
ETA: Her level was 16.1 - so we have to go back tomorrow to have her levels checked again. She's hanging out in the sunshine right now. Wish us luck guys! We want these levels going down...
Bummer! Lilith is still looking pretty yellow herself...though now my milk is well and truly in and she's peeing/pooing like a champion...so we are expecting we'll be able to keep nursing through. Lilith's pedi was pretty positve about it as well...hope Nora and you can do the same.
#7 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I hope Lilith is ok, too! It's just, jaundice was the last thing on my mind until my midwife mentioned yesterday at our checkup that she was looking a little yellow. Honestly, I don't know that it even crossed my mind prior to that. Now I feel bad that I wasn't sunning her for the first 2 days, maybe that would have helped - but I didn't know.

Another thing that pisses me off about this ped that we went to see was that she said that she would never interfere with nursing but if Nora's levels don't drop that she would recommend formula. WTF? I would never do that. What happened to encouraging a mama to nurse, nurse, nurse? My milk just came in on Saturday. She's 5 days old, and her attitude made me feel like my milk wasn't good enough when I KNOW it is. ARGH.

I was able to hand express quite a bit out of my left boob, and Nora latched on like a champ and nursed for a good 15-20 min. AHHH - relief. Chris also picked up my pump for me today and I'm going to get that charging up and cleaned so that I can pump a little off if need be.

I just really need to work on my confidence with this. I never thought I would be so full of doubts.

#8 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 PM

Carrie: you can do it!!!!! REmember YOU are the mama, and YOU know what is best for your girl and your family. Just let her nurse like mad and then see what happens....

I was a yellow baby, my first was a yellow baby, so no surprise that Lilith is as well. Both girls got dad's blood type and were coombs positive...and I'm sure Lilith will nurse through just like Nell did.

Nora will too....just nurse nurse nurse....which will be great for establishing your milk supply anyways.
#9 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 PM

Jumping in here real quick before ds wakes to nurse again. He's sleeping in the bouncy seat next to me but is starting to grunt and squirm a little. Don't ya love those little newborn sounds they make?

I was so glad to see this thread! I can't believe tomorrow ds will be a week old. Where did the week go? I'm right there with the weepiness. It hasn't been too bad really, just here and there. I feel overwhelmingly joyous and blessed mostly but still get weepy too. Last night as I was nursing I had this flood of sheer happiness wash over me and thought of how awesome the birth was, and the next thing I know my eyes were welling up with tears and I was feeling sad that the birth was all over. Yes, I'm actually sad about the painful hard labor being over. How crazy is that? I keep replaying it in my mind and thinking how awesome it was, yet at the same time I'm ecstatic that I have my sweet healthy baby to cuddle and so very relieved to be on this side of it all. I also miss him being inside of me squirming around. What a whirlwind of emotions pp is.

Nursing is going pretty good for us. He had a good latch from the beginning, but we did have a couple of days(4 & 5) where it was hard for him to get a good deep latch due to engorgement. Now that the fullness is easing up a bit, he's doing better again. I still have to occasionally relatch him if he slips down on the tip, and yee-ow does it hurt when he does that! FWIW, I always have soreness even with a good latch. Like pp mentioned, the main thing is to make sure the soreness subsides after the initial latch. If it continues into the feed, then you know the latch isn't good. For me, the soreness usually lasts a week or two then goes away completely.

Co-sleeping is going good for us too. Ds took to side lying nursing right away, so I'm actually getting a decent amount of sleep at night though last night was kind of rough. He decided for his sleepy spell to be in the evening and then didn't sleep as long at a stretch all night long so it was lots of quick nursing sessions with catnaps in between. Hoping tonight will be better.

Anyone else using cloth diapers? I planned on using them from birth like I did with my last few babies, but I was so tired after this labor that I went for the disposables instead. Then I decided I'd just wait till the meconium cleared, then I decided I'd wait for the cord to fall off. Well, he lost his cord yesterday, and the site is looking nice and healed up so I'm ready to switch. I think I'll put a snappied pf on him when he wakes up.

Carrie, I hope your lo doesn't have to go back after tomorrow for more checks. I know that has to be stressful. Hopefully the sun and lots of nursing will help. Several of my babies have gotten really yellow but none have ever needed treatment. I'll be thinking of you!

Ds is waking, so I'm off to nurse him and try out a cloth diaper on him.

Hope you all are having good evenings!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#10 of 366 Old 10-06-2008, 11:24 PM

When I picked ds up out of the bouncy seat I discovered he had a major poopy blowout in his disposable. I put a snappied pf on him and an x-small Thirsties cover(kind of big on him), and he promptly pooped about 10min later. I then put a Kissaluv 0 with a BSWW on him. I think the pf fit him better, but we'll see. I still have x-small Sandys to try too. I forgot how fun it is to put cloth on a nb! I need to snap some pics now.

#11 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
I feel overwhelmingly joyous and blessed mostly but still get weepy too. Last night as I was nursing I had this flood of sheer happiness wash over me and thought of how awesome the birth was, and the next thing I know my eyes were welling up with tears and I was feeling sad that the birth was all over. Yes, I'm actually sad about the painful hard labor being over. How crazy is that? I keep replaying it in my mind and thinking how awesome it was, yet at the same time I'm ecstatic that I have my sweet healthy baby to cuddle and so very relieved to be on this side of it all. I also miss him being inside of me squirming around. What a whirlwind of emotions pp is.

Anyone else using cloth diapers? I planned on using them from birth like I did with my last few babies, but I was so tired after this labor that I went for the disposables instead. Then I decided I'd just wait till the meconium cleared, then I decided I'd wait for the cord to fall off. Well, he lost his cord yesterday, and the site is looking nice and healed up so I'm ready to switch. I think I'll put a snappied pf on him when he wakes up.

Carrie, I hope your lo doesn't have to go back after tomorrow for more checks. I know that has to be stressful. Hopefully the sun and lots of nursing will help. Several of my babies have gotten really yellow but none have ever needed treatment. I'll be thinking of you!

I can totally relate to the emotions being all over the place. I am so weepy, usually out of sheer happiness, but sometimes it's just being overwhelmed that makes me tear up and sob. These hormones are just absolutely crazy.

I actually put cloth on Nora for the first time tonight! How funny! I had the same thoughts - first 'sposies for the meconium, and then waiting for her cord to fall off - which it did today! I was a little sad when it did. It was sort of like our last connection to pregnancy (I'm welling up as I type this) and it was hard to realize it's over. But then I have this gorgeous baby here and it's just a flood of happy emotions! Anyway - so yes, I put on a CPF and a purple Thirsties cover and OMGoodness she is ADORABLE! And it held her poop so well, I was impressed. I think it held it better than the 'sposies did.

I hope she doesn't have to go back after tomorrow too. We're shooting for a 14. Anything 14 and under means she's good, the levels are going down. We'll see - as long as they decrease I'll be happy. I don't want to admit her to the germy cruddy hospital. We've made it so far, it would feel like 2 steps back, and I want her to be home with me!

#12 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 AM

Oh, I always get a little sad when the cord comes off too for the same reason you stated. How do you like the Thirsties? The x-small seems to swallow my 8lber, but the pf and cover didn't leak the poop so it's all good.

Here's to hoping that number is 14 or less!

#13 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 02:39 AM

Thanks for starting this. I'm doing well. Annalise is not even two days old yet so this is my first time on.

I'm doing good but feeling slightly emotional this evening just thinking about all the changes that a new one brings. Both of my kids love her so much but it is hard with a little toddler...he's such a boy and doesn't quite know how to be gentle.

I didn't get much sleep last night but hoping some will come soon.
#14 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
It's the most painful at the initial latch, then it's fine once she gets like 10 or so gulps out of the way. Then I can breathe. Then I can sort of relax and it doesn't "hurt" - it's just not comfortable. But no nipple damage at all, maybe some redness. No blistering, no bleeding, no cracking. Just sore.

That and she's really having trouble latching on my left breast. I have been using a shell since the first day b/c I had a feeling my nipple was flat, and when she couldn't latch on that side but did wonderfully on the other, I figured that was the case. Well, she gets on maybe 1 time out of three. My boob is so engorged, and I keep trying to nurse her on that side, but she gets so frustrated when she can't latch - either b/c it's flat or too big.
Yeah, it's probably mostly hormonal stuff then. Just make sure she gets a good, deep latch. Some babies want to start with a shallow latch and suck the nipple in like a spaghetti noodle and that can really sting as well, so watch for that!

As for the engorgement--I saw that you updated and got her to latch to that side, but for future ref (or anyone else who might run into this), Reverse Pressure Softening might be helpful.

Hope her jaundice gets better too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
I'm planning to, but with the c-section I haven't been up to it physically yet. Plus, she's so tiny, I think she'd swim in even the XS Sandies and Swaddlebees I have for her. We're using disposable at the moment, but will probably switch over in the next few weeks.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#15 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 AM

Hey girls... anyone else stuck up tonight with a fussy babe?
I've been up most of the last two hrs... sigh He slept all day of course.......

I'm so happy to see this thread too btw!

We've been using cloth from day one, our midwife requested it.. I had sort of wanted to but DH was afraid to LOL! But once the midwife chimed in.. I got my way .

We just threw away our fleece liners (home made) during the meconium time. But he got that stuff all out in the first two days.. so it didn't last long at all . Now we are on the soft seedy breastmilk poopies .. easy to rinse out. Funny thing DH told me after the first couple of days, that the cloth was as easy if not easier then disposables LOL! He had just never tried it on a newborn before, but we've been CD'ng our older boys for over a year and a half.. so he's really quite experienced with that stuff now.

So far I'm just using prefolds and covers, with a snappi.. they work great.

Well he's hollering again.... SIGH ...... gotta go....

man this stinks.. since my two older kids are up early in the morning.... at least DH is off work till the 15th.. but still I rarely get to nap when all three are up .

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#16 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As for the engorgement--I saw that you updated and got her to latch to that side, but for future ref (or anyone else who might run into this), Reverse Pressure Softening might be helpful.

Hope her jaundice gets better too!
Thanks for the tip. We really haven't mastered the latch on the left breast yet. I mean, when she does latch on that side, I'm afraid to breathe or move for fear we'll lose it. I've been able to pump that side though to keep the milk coming while we continue to work on the latch. I'm freezing everything I pump out (which is about 2 oz each time) so that we can use it once we start bottles in a few weeks. If anyone has any advice as to how to deal with the horrible guilt I feel about not being able to nurse on this one side, please let me know. I'm having a lot of trouble with this. I feel so inadequate, even though I know I'm doing everything I can to make sure she gets enough to eat, one way or another. When I pump I feel like I'm stealing her milk, and taking something away from her. I cry sobs just thinking about it. Ugh.

Anyway, we went back for her billirubin check today and she was a 14.1! Yay! We do not need to keep going back for checks! Thank goodness! We're still putting her in the sunshine a few times a day, just to ensure she gets rid of this jaundice, but she's already looking less yellow. Her eyes aren't yellow, at least not like they were yesterday. I'm so glad that she is okay and didn't need to be admitted or go under the lights.

As far as dipes go, the Thirsties XS covers fit her beautifully, and she is small (she was 6 lb 10 oz yesterday). Also, I put Kissaluvs 0's on her today and they fit great, and held in a whole mess of bf poop. The Thirsties covers are working GREAT at keeping everything dry. I swear, I had more messes with the 'sposies for sure.

#17 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 PM

Carrie, just popping into say that it sounds like you are doing awesome! Just think, you are making enough milk for her out of just one breast (which I have read is totally doable). That makes you Super Mom!

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#18 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Yeah Carrie on the bili count! It sounds like you're doing great with breastfeeding and pumping to keep your supply up. I promise it'll get easier with the latch as she gets a little older. It's amazing what even a week can make at this stage.

My ds had trouble latching on in the middle of the night last night. He'd gone too long between feeds, and I was engorged when he woke up. I finally had to sit up and football hold him to get a good latch, but not before he screamed and screamed. Today, though, he's latched on great at every feed which was nice since we were out of the house all day. I went to the mall to get another sleep bra and to get him a couple more newborn outfits. He's 8lbs, but the 0-3mo outfits we have are huge on him right now. Then we went to see my mom afterwards since we were already out. I had a chance to use my nursing cover which I LOVE!! I like it so much better than the one I had with my last baby.

Cloth diapering is going really good so far. I think my favorites are just the plain old snappied pfs in the jelly-roll fold. The Kiss 0s fit him good too though and are kind of nice for nighttime when I'm too tired to fiddle with folding and the snappi. I still haven't snapped any pics of him in his cloth but hope to tonight or tomorrow.

Has anyone else not bathed their baby yet? This is the longest I've ever waited before, but he hasn't seemed dirty. I had read where the vernix helps protect them against several different bacterial and viral infections because it's high in antibodies. Since I opted out of the GBS test I decided to hold off on bathing. Anyway... I'm thinking tonight I might bathe him for the first time. Need to make sure the video camera is charged first.

Tiger Lily - Hope you're having a speedy recovery. My first 2 were c/sec, and I still remember that soreness from the incision. Both times I got nervous when I was at the end of my pain pills, but it worked out that the pain went away at just the right time.

#19 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:

I just saw this the other day from another thread and tried it, and it really does work! I had never heard of it before.

#20 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 PM

Count me in the 'not bathed baby yet' group.... I am considering bathing him tonight maybe.. lol

Samuel's cord fell off last Saturday night.. anybody else cordless already?

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#21 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

nak

Nora lost her cord yesterday! It was a little sad. We also haven't bathed her, not ready to lose that awesome nb smell yet. I just wipe her neck clean every so often, it gets all curdly, lol.

Thanks for the bf'ing supprt, everyone. it means so much right now.

#22 of 366 Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Ds's cord fell off on day 5; he's a week old today. Today was the first day that I couldn't really smell the nb smell. Well, I can smell it really faintly on the back of his neck, but it's not strong. I'm sad about it being gone. He didn't have hardly any vernix on him when he was born, and what little he did have was mostly in his diaper area which gets washed frequently anyway.

#23 of 366 Old 10-08-2008, 12:34 AM

Just thought I'd share a few cloth dipe pics I snapped a little earlier.

Kissaluv 0 - They're kind of big on him, and he's sort of inbetween in the snaps right now. They contain the bf poop very well though and are snuggly soft.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ssed/006-7.jpg

Snappied infant cpf angel wing fold - love these
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sed/003-11.jpg

X-Small Thirsties - love these too
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sed/005-10.jpg

#24 of 366 Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 AM

nak

carrie - i'm glad nora didn't have to get more tests.

we haven't bathed dd and won't for at least 2 weeks unless one of the kids spill something on her.

she's onle 3 days old but her cord is drying up fast...we're using goldenseal powder.

i'm starting to feel sleep deprived now which affects my patience w/ nursing. i only got 2 hours of sleep last night and 2 this morning...i'm wishing we had cable tv.

i'm just hoping milk comes very soon b/c i know dd is getting hungry and frustrated at the breast.

how are everyone's LO's doing for the car rides? we haven't left yet but will have to in the next couple of days for the birth cert. we have to drive 1 hour each way and descend 3500 ft which can take a toll on little ears
#25 of 366 Old 10-08-2008, 10:27 AM

thought I would pop in too! Phin is 19 days old now!!

We are nursing pretty well... my 2 yr old picked up nursing again like a newborn. My nipples are SORE from all the over use.... but on the up side, I am already down to my pre-pregnancy weight! Making milk for 2 must use a lot of calories Maybe it will help me lose even more? I am still over weight
#26 of 366 Old 10-08-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
i'm starting to feel sleep deprived now which affects my patience w/ nursing. i only got 2 hours of sleep last night and 2 this morning...i'm wishing we had cable tv.

i'm just hoping milk comes very soon b/c i know dd is getting hungry and frustrated at the breast.

how are everyone's LO's doing for the car rides? we haven't left yet but will have to in the next couple of days for the birth cert. we have to drive 1 hour each way and descend 3500 ft which can take a toll on little ears
So sorry about the sleep deprivation! I know how I get with nursing when I just need some shut eye. I get so frustrated and so does Nora.

Nora did okay with her first car rides. She screams a little when the car stops moving, but once the light turns green she is peaceful and usually falls asleep! Good luck with your long ride. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheOnlyOne View Post
thought I would pop in too! Phin is 19 days old now!!

We are nursing pretty well... my 2 yr old picked up nursing again like a newborn. My nipples are SORE from all the over use.... but on the up side, I am already down to my pre-pregnancy weight! Making milk for 2 must use a lot of calories Maybe it will help me lose even more? I am still over weight
Back to your pre-preg weight?! Way to go! My body is definitely on the mend. I mean, I'm only 6 days PP but I look about the same as I did when I was 5 months pg. I weighed myself yesterday (I think, the days run together) and was down 11 lbs so far. Nursing is really helping, I think. That, and I completely cut out eating all the junk that I was letting myself have during pregnancy (chips, ice cream, soda - especially the soda). I was able to wear non-mat shirts out and about yesterday which felt awesome! I just look at little chubby, but my face has definitely gotten it's shape back. I'm happy about that!

In other news, I got Nora to latch for 3 feedings on the left boob yesterday! Huzzah for little victories! This morning, of course, said boob was engorged again and she kept slipping off so I just pumped 3 oz on that side and threw it in the freezer. Nora is going to have a great stash of BM saved up for her bottle days. I just have to keep thinking positively about the situation.

I too am glad her jaundice is clearing up! She barely looks yellow at all now. She is just so gorgeous!

Hope everyone has a great day!

#27 of 366 Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 PM

I'm so glad you started this thread. KatieSue is 3 days old now and everything is going really well. Every day we seem to get to know each other better and things keep going smoother.

But....

My breasts hurt so badly. The first 30 seconds of latch are as painful as any part of labor. I knew it was going to be uncomfortable but I really didn't expect this much pain. I've had both of my midwives and my mom check her latch, and they all say it is good. They all say it will get better in a week or so. I'm really hoping it will soon. My milk started to come in the night before last and I'm not sure if i've reached the worst of the "engorgement" phase but I seem to have plenty to keep her belly full which is wonderful because she is much more content.

Her cord seems to be healing good, I went the "do nothing" route of cord-care and that seems to be doing well. I haven't given her a real bath yet because of the cord (and she hates being undressed) so I just kinda washed her up with a washcloth yesterday (actually my mom did it)

I haven't gotten on the scale yet, but I will when I get a free second!! I look like a deflated ballon though, so I'm not exactly thrilled either way.

Swelling seems to have gone down and stitches aren't super painful. I'm definatly still tender but I think i'm healing pretty good. I'm still bleeding but it was never really heavy and its about normal period flow now.

The midwife is coming over tomorrow to do PKU and she has her first dr. appt. on friday.

I had fancy all in one cloth diapers made up, but they don't have any real allowance for the cord and they're a little big for a newborn so I knew I wouldn't be using them for the first few weeks. I had planned on using sposies and bought a box of them, but I haven't been able to bring myself to put one on her yet. For some reason all I can think about is the chemicals. I had bought a package of cotton-pre folds for spitup cloths and so far thats what I've been putting on her bottom. It really isn't a big deal to use them just with pins. If I had known I was going to use them I would have gotten a snappi. I can see where pre-folds would be a huge hassle once the child is on the go, but I can't understand why people kept telling me they would be so terrible for the NB stage.

Sleep....? well, we cat nap, does that count?. I haven't gotten much real sleep the past few nights I truely can't beleive i'm not falling over tired. I must have some new-mama angel helping me out.

The car rides are wonderful! She loves it and is quiet even if she wasn't happy when we put her in. She HATES the car seat if its not moving though and just screams. I need to go grocery shopping today and I know there is no way she is going to sit in the car seat in the cart for me so I'm hoping to figure out how to wrap before we go.

I love hearing about everyone else's LO's and I'm glad things seem to be going well all around. Janasmama - I know your a pro so I am hesitant to even suggest anything to you, but I was getting super discouraged with no milk and hungry baby and my mom told me to load up on fluids, just drink as much as I possibly could. I don't know if it was a coincidence but I started drinking as much fluids as possible about 8pm and around 2am when I was getting her to latch on was the first time I actually saw milk, and it seemed to come in pretty quickly during the next 6hrs or so. Either way the fluids can't hurt.
#28 of 366 Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim919 View Post
My breasts hurt so badly. The first 30 seconds of latch are as painful as any part of labor. I knew it was going to be uncomfortable but I really didn't expect this much pain. I've had both of my midwives and my mom check her latch, and they all say it is good. They all say it will get better in a week or so. I'm really hoping it will soon. My milk started to come in the night before last and I'm not sure if i've reached the worst of the "engorgement" phase but I seem to have plenty to keep her belly full which is wonderful because she is much more content.

Her cord seems to be healing good, I went the "do nothing" route of cord-care and that seems to be doing well. I haven't given her a real bath yet because of the cord (and she hates being undressed) so I just kinda washed her up with a washcloth yesterday (actually my mom did it)

Sleep....? well, we cat nap, does that count?. I haven't gotten much real sleep the past few nights I truely can't beleive i'm not falling over tired. I must have some new-mama angel helping me out.

The car rides are wonderful! She loves it and is quiet even if she wasn't happy when we put her in. She HATES the car seat if its not moving though and just screams. I need to go grocery shopping today and I know there is no way she is going to sit in the car seat in the cart for me so I'm hoping to figure out how to wrap before we go.
What you're experiencing with bf'ing and soreness sounds like what I'm going through. I knew it wasn't going to be comfortable, but I didn't think I'd have to breathe and close my eyes to try to get through the pain of the initial 30 seconds to a minute or so. It does get better. Yesterday (5 days pp) I realized my nips were a little "scabby" with tougher skin, and the pain is much less intense unless she latches wrong. It's still a little hard to be distracted or talk through nursing, though.

We did the do-nothing route for her cord as well.

I think cat-naps are fine. I try to sleep when she is sleeping, even if it's an hour after I got up. It helps so much even to just get 20-30 minutes at a time.

GL figuring out your wrap! I have a Moby D and I can't get it figured out enough to put a stuffed animal in it, let alone put Nora in it! I need to practice much more before taking her out in it!

Question - my feet and ankles are so swollen. More swollen then they ever were when I was pg. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I'm drinking at least 5 32 oz bottles of water per day, probably more than that, so it's not dehydration. What on earth is going on?

#29 of 366 Old 10-08-2008, 03:16 PM

hey, baby f will be 2 weeks tomorrow. she's basically in arms all the time so it's hard to write. things are good, she lost more wt after we left the hosp, down to 7lb 1 oz from 8, but gained 4 oz in the last week so our ped was happy. bfing is going great, so much better than with my 35 weeker (her bro) but it's allowed me to release a lot of the guilt I had about being unsuccessful in bfing him. I def know what you're talking about--that initial minute is painful. And I had gotten some nip damage when I was engorged, but that seems to have healed. I'm just so thankful for mothering, this whole thing has been so different than with DS, the birth, the bfing, cosleeping from day 1, even slinging her a bit! With DS I never even heard of AP till he was 4 months. In terms of my health I've lost a lot of weight--25 lbs--but had gained almost 55 so there's a lot of junk left!

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#30 of 366 Old 10-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Great news from our house...Lili went for her follow up to the pedi this morning, and she's back to just up over her birth weight (which is a relief to me because last thursday she'd gotten all the way down from 7lb8oz to 6lb13oz). The doctor is pleased as punch with her and confirmed that those aren't just gassy faces she's making...she actually smiles at us all the time. (She also giggles in her sleep which makes me want to swallow her whole due to the deliciousness).

Other great news...she slept 2 x 4 hour stretches last night! She'd had a big day as I took her to meet her great grandmother...so she'd had lots of awake time...which meant a good solid night of sleep for both of us.

Life is good!

As for the intial pain on latch....I call it the shark bite.....gaping mouth...gaping mouth...MUNCH! Yow!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page