Low amniotic fluid at 38 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-06-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all ~ I'm due 10/15, but Miss Baby could arrive any day now. We had an u/s last Thursday to estimate her weight, and my OB said my amniotic fluid is "a little low -- it's normally about 12, you're 10." She didn't seem overly concerned, but I'm going back again this morning for another u/s.

I don't think I've been leaking any fluid, and basically just don't know what 10 vs. 12 means . . . is this a big difference, or just a little one? I know low amniotic fluid can be very dangerous . . . anyone have any info to share? TIA!

Daughter since '68 ~Sister since '72 ~Wife since '97 ~ Mama since DS 5/03& DD 10/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM

I don't know any specifics but you might be on your guard in the event that this is the beginning of a scare tactic to get you to induce or allow a c section. I don't know how progressive your OB is though, if she'd even try to pull something like that. I'm sure someone here can tell you more though! Hopefully it's not significant enough to cause you worry!

ETA: I found this info and it leads me to believe that your levels are normal.

http://www.parentingweekly.com/pregn...otic_fluid.htm
#3 of 4 Old 10-06-2008, 02:49 PM

Your not low your NORMAL. Fluid measurements ( and ive been having them off and on since 34wks) range between 5- 20. Less than 5 they worry. Mine have been between 10-15 each time. 10 is a great number.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professi...14332_4536.asp

An ultrasound examination can identify the amount of amniotic fluid. This procedure measures the depth of the fluid in four quadrants in the uterus. These amounts are then added up. This method results in a measurement of amniotic fluid called the amniotic fluid index (AFI). If the amniotic fluid depth measures less than 5 centimeters, the pregnant woman has oligohydramnios. If amniotic fluid levels add up to more than 24 centimeters, she has polyhydramnios (2).

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#4 of 4 Old 10-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Well these girls answered your question much better than I could have LOL. Like the PP's have said, your amniotic fluid is NOT low. Please don't let them tell you that. Amniotic fluid becomes less and less in these final weeks of pregnancy and it is perfectly normal.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page