My water broke...all by itself. Now what? UPDATE post #24--failed VBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is totally new to me. The Boy was two weeks late, induced, and then my membranes were broken by the OB resident (and rather roughly at that!). Right now I'm only 38 weeks today, and it broke all by itself! And then contractions started right after! I'm rather excited that it started on it's own, but the way things went last time (induction with pitocin, AROM, epi, c-section), I'm in what for me is uncharted territory! Plus, it's only 6 am, so I haven't bothered to wake up the midwife or anything yet.

Funny thing is, I came down with a cold yesterday, stuffed nose, sore throat, and had just decided that it would be best if I didn't go early, cause then I could get over the cold first. I think this baby has a sense of humour--he/she also flipped head down about ten minutes (okay, it was ten hours, but still) before my referral to the OB to talk about version! And DH is supposed to go racing today (yes, there's a race car in the garage--well, it's at the track right now, but it's usually in the garage), figuring two weeks before my due date would be perfectly safe to plan to participate an all day event like this!

Okay, if any of my IRL friends read this, can you keep it quiet and to yourselves? I don't want everyone I know getting all excited and calling or anything, in case this goes on for a while!
#2 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 05:58 AM

Ooh, how exciting.

Dunno what's next on the SROM front (I had ARM with both of my last 2) ... I guess your m/w will have some ideas.

In the meantime (((((((ELVs)))))) for you.

Jill &heartbeat.gif the keepers of my heartheartbeat.gif : Dave, Ben (9/2002), Lucy (9/2004), (m/c 9/2007) Emma (born still on her due date and forever missed 10/2008) and Tobias (1/2010)grouphug.gif
#3 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 07:15 AM

Oh how exciting!!! I am sending ELV your way.
#4 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 AM

How exciting! My water broke on its own twice as my first sign of labor, and both times contractions started later that day. One time was 6hrs after, and one time was just a couple hrs after. Both times I felt antsy while waiting for something to happen. I hope your contractions kick in good and strong and you're holding your lo soon! Best wishes for a great labor and birth.:-)

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#5 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 AM

Lol, I had a cold and SROM with my DS1! For me my water broke and about 10 min later I started having contractions. From there they just got progressively stronger, my labor didn't need any other help. My water broke around 11pm and he was born around 9am the next morning. His birth was very empowering for me.

I say just sit tight and work with any ctx you're having. Call your mw when you feel things are picking up enough or if you have any questions.

GL and have a beautiful birth!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#6 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 09:44 AM

I would definitely call your mw to let her know your water broke, and after that just sit tight and wait for what comes. My water broke spontaneously with my most recent babe, and labor didn't begin until the next day, so that can be perfectly normal. Good luck!!:
#7 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 09:45 AM

Every pregnancy brings with it something new, right? ELV's to you, mama! :
#8 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Contractions started almost right away, which kinda surprised me, because I had imagined it would take a while. They're pretty regular now, at 5 or 6 minutes, but I can breath through them. I'm starving, which also rather surprised me! My midwife is currently at the hospital (just across the street) with a homebirth transfer, so she's nearby, but going to send her partner over to check on me in an hour or two.
#9 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM

sending ELV''s to ya!!!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#10 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM

Good luck mama!!!!! Can't wait to hear all about your new little one.
#11 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM

congrats... hope you have a short and happy labor~

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#12 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 AM

That's exciting!! ELVs : Sounds like it's working out great compared to your last!

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#13 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 AM

ELVs to you, mama!! : Can't wait to read your birth announcement!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#14 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM

How exciting! My labor with dd1 started the same way, SROM at exactly 38 weeks. That's great your ctx started right away! I hope all goes smoothly for you.

Good luck, and lots of ELV's!
#15 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 AM

: : You're having a baby soon, that's what! ELV's to you!
#16 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM

ELVs
#17 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 AM

Congrats!! My water broke on it's own with DS1 and I had him in my arms exactly 12 hours later. Hope you have a great labor and birth!

love.gifSara, mom to J (10/06) H (10/08) and E (5/11) love.gif

#18 of 26 Old 10-13-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Thanks everyone. Contractions started almost right away, which kinda surprised me, because I had imagined it would take a while. They're pretty regular now, at 5 or 6 minutes, but I can breath through them. I'm starving, which also rather surprised me! My midwife is currently at the hospital (just across the street) with a homebirth transfer, so she's nearby, but going to send her partner over to check on me in an hour or two.
I've had SROM with both my babes so far; I won't know what to do if this time labor doesn't start with my water breaking! Anyway, the first time it was a trickle type break and contractions did not start right away, leading to mega-intervention in the hospital.

With DS it was a gush and contractions started right away. I called the mw to give her a heads up as it was 9 pm and then called her again around 6 am to tell her it was time to head on over. I didn't have to do anything to keep the contractions coming with DS and he was born 16 hours after ROM.

Good luck mama and sending tons of ELV to you! :
#19 of 26 Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned

So...I take it you won't be at knitting tonight?

Sending happy baby vibes!:
#20 of 26 Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM

hope your babe is with you now or arriving soon and all is going well!!!
#21 of 26 Old 10-19-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and encouragement. I did really well, I think, and I'm proud of what I accomplished. I still ended up with a c-section, and I'm not really ready to talk about it yet, so my birth story is going to wait a while. Of all the great and supportive obstetricians at the hospital the one on call when I got there was evil, and totally misled me, and the midwife. Anyway, thanks again everyone, thanks.

Alison
#22 of 26 Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and encouragement. I did really well, I think, and I'm proud of what I accomplished.
this is so important, though i am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate OB experience. i mainly hope you and babe are healthy, and doing well together. wishing you a peaceful recovery process.

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
#23 of 26 Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM

I'm sorry mama. We'll be here to listen when/if you're ready to share. Congratulations on your new little one! :
#24 of 26 Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Basically, I wasn't progressing, the OB resident checked me, said she'd check back in an hour or so, and if I hadn't progressed, we'd talk about augmentation. When she checked back, I hadn't progressed, but the OB completely overrode the resident, and informed me that they won't augment a VBAC for failure to progress period (which I know isn't true, because the resident was offering it, and my own doc, not on call, had also mentioned it as a possibility). The midwife and I were totally blindsided, because the resident had been talking augmentation only an hour earlier, and augmentation was what I needed. At that point, there wasn't anything we could do, she was offering c-section or nothing, and even the midwife was worried about the failure to progress. Baby was posterior still, that could have had something to do with it, but we were doing everything we could to reposition her during labour. I just needed time and maybe a little help via augmentation to get the contractions a little harder and closer together. So basically I was robbed of a vaginal birth because I'd had a previous section, no other reason, and the previous section would never have happened if I'd been more informed 5 years ago when it happened. Then we were stuck in the hospital for almost 6 days with the baby under lights for jaundice, waaaay overcautious, and seriously I was ready to kill someone by the time I got out--preferably the OB who decided that because I'd had one section, my only option was another. I so wish things had happened differently, and I'm second guessing every decision I made during this labour. I've got this lovely baby girl, but all I can do is grieve and question, and it sucks. And this was my last baby, so it's not like I'll ever have another chance to do this. I'm just so sad.
#25 of 26 Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 PM

i am so sorry your labor didnt go the way you wanted it to. i dont know if you have joined ICAN or not, but there is a new board that seems to be really good (ive only been there for a few weeks). here is a link: http://ican-online.org/forum/index.php

you have every right to spend time grieving the birth while enjoying your precious little bundle . cant wait to see pix!
#26 of 26 Old 10-20-2008, 02:50 PM

to you, Alison. I'm facing a similar situation, so my heart goes out to you & what you're feeling is very understandable. People are going to tell you to be happy about your little girl (and sure you are!) but you have the right to mourn the birth you wanted! ICAN has wonderful resources and even a forum full of women who will "get" where you're coming from, if you ever feel like you get blown off irl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page