Postpartum leg/muscle cramps anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For about a week now I've been having really severe muscle cramps in my calves and sometimes in my thighs. So much so that it's hard to get up out of bed, hard to get up off the couch. I've continued taking all my vitamins (my prenatal, calcium, magnesium citrate, probiotics and DHA) so I'm really confused about why this is happening. Is there just an overabundance of lactic acid working its way out from the birth? I gave birth 2 weeks ago, I figured all those juices would have worked themselves out by now.

Maybe I need to eat more bananas or something? I have 1 or 2 a day. Any advice?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-16-2008, 11:59 PM

I didn't have this postpartum, but just wanted to put my paranoid plug in. Leg cramping can be a sign of DVTs (blood clots). It's something you should call your midwife or HCP about (tommorrow not tonight style) if you haven't already let them know. Hopefully it's just normal muscle soreness. I hope they feel better soon!
#3 of 4 Old 10-17-2008, 12:06 AM

I thought I might have had DVT once and went to the doc for it...there are other symptoms... you should Google it and see if it fits.

I've had some cramping also. Mine has been in my Achilles and calves. I personally think it's from a lack of stretching on my behalf. Not sure how much stretching you are doing but that could be a cause.
#4 of 4 Old 10-17-2008, 01:01 AM

I do have some pulling/cramping going on in my various muscles.... but I was told we need tons of calcium/magnesium right now.. so I'm taking a LOT .. and if I miss some I definitely have more cramps. I had a lot of cramps in pregnancy to though.

Liquid Cal/Mag supplements are supposed to be better ... more absorbable by your body.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page