Weekly Postpartum Chit Chat and Support 11/8-11/14 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 130 Old 11-11-2008, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow Bailey - you should feel accomplished!! Way to go!!

Farmerjess - I too am amazed by those Mommas dealing with more than one and mine's pretty easy! : to you Mommas!

Carrie - I'm only just over 2 weeks pp, but I'm not anywhere near dtd. Dh really wants to of course, but I'm still so touched out with the sore nips and, to be honest, a bit scared of using the lady bits again.

AAM: I'm alone!!!! Ahhhhh! It's actually going ok so far on my first day by myself with Addie. I woke up at 10:30, nursed her, and popped her in my babybundler and am now eating breakfast. I have no idea what to do after this though! My Mom did as much as she possibly could yesterday so I wouldn't be overwhelmed with chores, so I think I might just hang out and my big goal for the day will be to get dinner ready tonight.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#62 of 130 Old 11-11-2008, 07:01 PM

I got the clear to dtd at my check up thurs but have not. with two kids both awake till 10, and baby in our bed, and dh immersed in xbox games... it could be awhile.

was home today alone with both kids and it was very tiring though ds was an angel. i'm back to work in the office for a half day tomorrow... kind of looking forward to having a few hours with no one around me crying or touching me!

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#63 of 130 Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Bayleesan- I'm sorry I don';t remember, but why does Noelani need extra calories? It sounds like you had a good day, overall!

All of the rest of you sopund like you've accomplished so much! I went for a walk with a new friend today, and then we went back to my house for lunch. It took a while to make lunch, but as Milo was sleeping peacefully in his carseat, I just let him go. Both boys were very good on our walk. I had Milo in the meitai with my down vest over both of us. It looked funny, but we were both warm!

DH came home in the middle of the day for a few hours, so he got to eat a hot lunch and I got him to put DS1down for his nap! :

Now Milo is sleeping, after nursing sans sheild all day!!!! I'm so proud.

Oops got to go, DS1 is waking up!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#64 of 130 Old 11-11-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
I think Tara actually said 32 G, but I wear a 36G (bigger cup, but can't find it). I have a supportive and uber comfy bra from Bella Materna. I have 2 sporty bras from Medela in the medium ++ size. The BM bra is very spendy and that's why I only have one.

I really like Expressiva and Motherwear for nursing tops. My only complaint with both companies is their empire openings. Only the XL fits over the hooters and that size is huge on me everywhere else.
Yes, I did say 32G. I got it at Nordstrom. I hope it arrives soon! It's awful to pay so much ($69) for something and then have to wait to use it !It's a really nice bra. It's an Anita with a soft cup and a nice floral type of print in a nude color, super supportive.

Ally Rae has been fussy at night everynight for the last several days. I'm hoping it's just another phase that will pass like the marathon nursing. I've found that I can calm her quicker and more easily if I bounce on my stability ball though. She's fussy starting at about 8pm and doesn't calm down for the night until 11. She falls asleep but only briefly at about 9:30. It's frustrating because until last night, I felt like a terrible mother for not knowing how to console her. Nursing doesn't work even though she acts like she wants to nurse, she gets all panic-y when she's latched and cries even more. I hope if this continues that the stability ball bouncing keeps working too. :

Good news! While my MIL was here last week, I felt brave enough to leave Ally with her and go to the gym and take a class 2 days in a row! YAY for working out again! It felt SOOO good. I realized though that I need to do more Kegels.....thank goodness I was wearing a pad! Hopefully I can find a way to go workout this week or workout in my basement. It's hard when DH doesn't get home until 8 usually and then Ally's fussy and needs me (DH hasn't found his patience for that yet and get frustrated too easily when it comes to calming her).

Ok, off to catch up on this thread since I've been MIA (busy with Ally since she's been so clingy to me lately).
#65 of 130 Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionbelt View Post
I can't believe we are into the second week of November already! Time flies when you are in a Zombie state I guess!

Charlotte had her first u/s sound yesterday to look for the mass that they found at the 18 week u/s. The mass is still there but it has shrunk from 1 cm to 1/2 cm. All of her organs are perfect and the mass no longer has it's own blood supply. They still are not 100 percent sure what it is but they ruled out a lot of other serious issues. They say that the mass has all the qualities of being benign.

We than had a phone call from the pediatric surgeon who said that he doesn't feel it necessary to do surgery nor an MRI at this point. Basically, we go for another u/s at 3 months and if it has stayed the same or has shrunk even more we won't have to do anything else...or as the surgeon said he will say 'see you later and have a nice life'. He also told us not to even think about it any more.

While this is all good news and I am so happy, I was really hoping for a different outcome. I was so hoping that they wouldn't find the mass so that we could completely shut the door on this issue and not worry about it anymore. I guess I just wanted some closure on the issue and not have a wait and see situation.

Despite that, I do feel a sense of relief because I remember for over half of my pregnancy it was an issue of when our baby would have surgery and now to know that she won't have to is huge!

Life with three under three is proving to be very busy but not as bad as a lot of people told me it would be. My two toddlers love being older siblings and are huge helps with Charlotte. They help to change her and feed her (which is a bit odd since I'm BF...they like to hold my boob while I feed Charlotte!) and hug and kiss her. Plus, Charlotte is such an easy baby. While I do feed/sleep on demand, she seems to enjoy her own little schedule. She seems to like 8:30 pm as a bed time with a nursing session at 12:30 ish and another at 3:30 ish and up for the day with her brother and sister at about 7:30 is. This is so unlike my other two who where up every hour and a half to two hours for the first three months and than every three hours until about 7 months. Even though she only gets up twice a night I do end getting up a bit more than that with my other two due to nightmares and just wanting to be tucked in. Thank goodness this isn't an every night ordeal.

DH is on duty today (in the Navy) and won't be home until tomorrow morning so wish me luck doing supper and bed time all by myself tonight. Yikes!
That's great news!!!! I'm so happy to hear this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayleesan View Post
thats so weird, my nipples have never been chafed in that way, even with my tongue tied baby. though now that i have a child with a good latch, and a good supply, dude let down hurts!!

We got a date for N's surgery, Dec 31st is preop day, 6 hours of tests. Jan 5th is her Surgery. Open Heart Surgery. Still trying to get used to it.
I'll be praying for you and your LO. I can only imagine how hard it is to wrap your head around the idea of your infant having such a surgery.

[QUOTE=Baby_Cakes;12579452]Success! Whatever the combination was, Nora SLEPT last night! She was up at about 12, 2, 4 and 6 to eat, but I can manage that! I don't mind that! I would much rather do that than be up till 3 am!

Hooray!! I hope that trend continues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Haha, I did the food thing yesterday too! I left a pot of water boiling so long it all but evaporated!

We got sleep again last night! She fussed more than she did the night before, but she did sleep from 1-6! Woo hoo! I'm not counting on this happening every night, but every night that it does I will be very glad indeed.

AAM - I got stuff accomplished today. I mailed out a bill and called to order my Mirena. I also loaded the dishwasher. I'm hoping to get a shower and possibly take Nora to Target today. I just feel like getting out of the house.

Tomorrow I'm taking Nora to work! I'm so excited to see my co-workers who I haven't seen since early September!

So...Nora will be 6 weeks on Thursday. Am I the only one here who has not DTD yet? I think I'm ready. I think, next chance we get, it's going to happen. I just hope we get a chance! That's the tricky part!
No DTD here yet either. Don't feel like it for a variety of reasons, most of which have to do with frustrations with DH.
#66 of 130 Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Just a flyby for now... I just gave Jasper a bath and then he projectile vomited everywhere *sigh*. I feel like I am losing it, honestly. All I do is laundry because he spits up or vomits or poops on everything, and I feel like I can't stay on top of everything and in between nursing him and laundry and constantly telling off my toddler, I don't have room to do much else. Now he needs another bath but that isn't going to happen tonight.

On the glass half-full side, I know it could be way worse--at least he's a "happy spitter" and isn't in pain. He had his 2w checkup today and he's a chunkster, 8lbs 14oz - a gain of 1lb 5oz in 10 days. At this point, Adrian was still a few ounces under his birth weight, so at least I don't have to worry about the quality of my milk this time.

I'm SO incredibly frustrated with DH; he's working from home and it drives my 2yo batty because he knows Daddy is home but is locked in the office. He comes in and out as it suits him for food and bathroom breaks etc but won't lift a finger to help me because as he says "I'm not here, I'm at work". And then he tells me he can't win with me no matter what he does.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#67 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 AM

heridik, my babe has a heart dysfunction, two signifigant holes in the septums of her heart. its causing 8 times the normal ammount of oxygenated blood to go to her lungs, which causes them to be very heavy and difficult to expand. she burns more calories just to breath. it's like she is always doing aerobics. surgery is scheduled for jan. right now she is around 9lbs 8ozs and she is 6weeks old on thursday, so due to her caloric needs she is gaining very slowly dispite being a champ nurser. but I am determined to keep her ebf, at the breast. it's a battle.
#68 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
I hope if this continues that the stability ball bouncing keeps working too. :
Just a warning to you but I read on MDC a few months back of a mama who did the same thing and her child came to NEED it so much that it ended up damaging the mamas back and leaving her with no way to calm the baby. It was really hard on them both. I try not to get into a routine for anything though. I find that my lo is really over-stimulated most evenings by 6 and needs serious down time. That usually means taking him to bed or cutting all the lights and noise off. HTH!
#69 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
I find that my lo is really over-stimulated most evenings by 6 and needs serious down time. That usually means taking him to bed or cutting all the lights and noise off. HTH!
This is what is happening here, at least for the last 2 nights. Once i get the kids to bed, turn off the lights and lower down the tv, G will calm down and settle for the night.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#70 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
And then he tells me he can't win with me no matter what he does.
do all men learn that line?? omg!!!!

i feel w a toddler and a newborn, food, laundry and fending toddler off nb is what my day is about. i rarely get time for much more .

this morning i did tell DP that i needed a few hours to myself and he took Zen at 7 and didnt wake me or toddler...i finally got out of bed at 10:30. incredible, huh? i have learned that i just need to tell him what i want/need. I didnt wnt to do it that way and hoped he would just do things but thats not the way he operates apparently. so...we will do it this way and it works...i just feel so mothering towards him when i tell a 40 yo what to do.

oh well...things are coming together a little bit but taking a daily shower is going to be interesting when DP goes back to work (he's had the last 4 weeks off but has to go back for one week next week then has TDay week off). Some days i wonder what the heck i was thinking? lol!

i try to read here and reply but most times i have only one hand (right now is a rare exception). Tandem nursing is definitely something you have to get used to and unless you do it at the same time for both kids all the time, is very very time consuming. But, baby Zen is now over 12 lbs. and not even 4 weeks old yet so i guess its all going well (other than me having to learn to let alot of things go).
#71 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
Just a warning to you but I read on MDC a few months back of a mama who did the same thing and her child came to NEED it so much that it ended up damaging the mamas back and leaving her with no way to calm the baby. It was really hard on them both. I try not to get into a routine for anything though. I find that my lo is really over-stimulated most evenings by 6 and needs serious down time. That usually means taking him to bed or cutting all the lights and noise off. HTH!
Well, the ball didn't work last night anyway. LOL But, I can definitely see how constant use would hurt your back. The way I was bouncing was a little safer on the back though because I was doing it as I would in an aerobics class with the ball (sit and stand instead of constant bouce). I've tried cutting off all stimulation but that doesn't work either. We just have to wait it out and let her fuss (while we hold her still) most nights. I also don't want her to get used to having to be in complete quiet or dark to sleep because I won't want to have to tip toe around while she's sleeping and, we sleep with the TV on because I have to have some background noise and some light or I have anxiety attacks.

It's been pretty rough on me because DH has been of no help during these fussy times. He may take her for a few minutes but then gives her back, I think because he just gets too frustrated and doesn't know what to do. But, I've had her all day long, he doesn't get home until 8 most nights and by then she's fussy so he won't spend time with her, dinner isn't until 9 then and he only takes her after he's eaten and only long enough for me to eat, I finally get her to sleep between 11-12 and then take care of her all night since I have the boobs of course. I feel bad because I'm pretty peeved at him for all of this and feel guilty for wanting some help. It's all a vicious cycle I'm afraid. Sorry, rant over.

On a more positive note, I made it to my first PP LLL meeting today! I had a great time and got to see Rae again and meet her newest little one, Samuel. We took a couple pics of the 4 of us that I'll post later on after I get them uploaded and don't have Ally Rae sleeping on my chest.
#72 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayleesan View Post
heridik, my babe has a heart dysfunction, two signifigant holes in the septums of her heart. its causing 8 times the normal ammount of oxygenated blood to go to her lungs, which causes them to be very heavy and difficult to expand. she burns more calories just to breath. it's like she is always doing aerobics. surgery is scheduled for jan. right now she is around 9lbs 8ozs and she is 6weeks old on thursday, so due to her caloric needs she is gaining very slowly dispite being a champ nurser. but I am determined to keep her ebf, at the breast. it's a battle.

Thanks for explaining. Good for you about the EBF'ing and keep it up!

Tararae- could you find some other way to provide the light/noise that you need w/o the TV? TV has been terribly overstimulating for both the boys so far, even when the mute is on! Maybe one of those machines that projects lights onto the ceiling, and some white noise? Or maybe abook on cd?

AS for your DH- fatherhood was terrifying for my DH, so he was exactly the same way. It was so frustrating to me because he'd wanted to have babies as badly as I did, and then was like, 'whoa, hold it! I can't do this!'

PW- so you're mothering a DH too? Fun, huh! : (mine's 38- going on 13 I swear)

AAM- why is it so hard to find time to bathe?????

DS1 used the potty twice today! : And they're both asleep, and less than an hour now till DH comes home!!! : maybe I'll get that shower after all!! Haha! Actually I need to get desert made for fellowship at church tonight, but all I want to do is nap! :sleep

I think Milo might be fighting a virus. He just seems slightly too warm, not really feverish, and like he can't get comfy. He's also very snuffly, but it doesn't sem to be interfereing with his nursing. I tried to squirt BM up his nose, but all I did was shoot it all over the arm of the couch, and in his ear.

Conversation of the day- me- "Henry when you poop, you have to come tell mommy"

him- (silence)

Me- "Honey when you go poop ou have to tell momma, OK? Say, Momma I pooped' "

him- 'me pup'

me- "say 'I pooped' hon"

him- "momma- me poop"

Me- "good honey I'll remind you again tomorrow"

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#73 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 PM

^She does fine overnight in our room with the TV, it's between the hours of about 8pm-11 or 12 when we're still up/trying to eat dinner. I'll try to keep my own TV time this afternoon at a minimum and maybe turn on the radio for some Christmas music instead and see if that helps her tonight. Thanks for the thoughts!

Ally is really mucus-y and I've been wondering if BM in her nose would help any or just make her mad? She's had a booger-y nose for days but is acting normal and doesn't have a fever or anything. Thoughts?

Ok, pic from our local LLL meeting this morning.

Me, Rae (sonshinerae), and the babes Samuel & Ally Rae

And a random pic that I just love because you can really see how blue Ally's eyes are getting and how red her hair is turning (she had really dark, muddy eyes and dark hair at birth).

Ally Rae close up
#74 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM

Tara - that's so cool about you and SonshineRae! I've got a friend with a 6 month old and one due in Dec, but no one going through the same stuff right now with me. And Ally is quite a cutie!! Adelh's eyes are turning blue too and we suspect a little red in her hair also! I'm SO hoping the red comes through (it's on Dh's side of the family)!!

On Dh's - mine is totally awesome with Addie when she's awake. He plays with her in the most endearing way that just melts my heart. However, he's a little stand offish when it comes to actually *helping* with her and I think it's just cause mostly she's nursing or sleeping and he's only home for a little bit in the evening before I'm going to bed (I usually go down with Addie at about 9). Last night though we talked about how since I'm doing all the nighttime parenting and alone with her during the day, it'd be nice of him to take her when he gets home for longer than it takes me to pee or eat dinner if she's alseep. He's really super appreciative of my taking the full load at over night, so he says he's going to make an effort in the evenings so I don't burn out. I mean, holding her when she sleeps is hardly stressful, but when I've had her all day I just need a break. I know we could put her down somewhere... but she's slept in arms pretty much all the time since she's been born and sleeps better, longer that way (except for at night, then she sleeps well in the co-sleeper, go figure).

AAM: 2nd day all by ourselves!! I actually did the dishes with Addie in the wrap awake (first time I've worn her when she wasn't asleep)! And I've washed diapers, started Dh's laundry and am getting all the summer/maternity stuff out of my closet and putting the winter stuff in. Go me!!! Addie has spent the majority of the day in the wrap - she slept for an hour in her cradle while I got some lunch, but she just doesn't sleep for very long if she's not on me/next to me.

Oh! And I mastered the cross-cradle hold on the left boob without any pillows today!!! : At least one side is pillow free if I need to be out and about without my nursing pillow. I still want to try nursing in the wrap and side lying - both of which are really daunting when your nips are still tender and a slightly bad latch hurts like heck.

There is a Mom's group at the hospital here run by an IBCLC that is all about tips on bfing and they will weigh your baby and you get to commiserate with other new moms (it's for babies under a year) that I think I'll try and get to next week. It's on Wednesdays, but I just was not prepared to get out of the house today. My friend goes and she says it's really great b/c all the babies hang out and if you're having any issues the IBCLC is there for free to help.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#75 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Tara- We need you on the PP weight loss thread in fitness and weight management. Come motive us will ya?
#76 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 PM

^I'll try my best....
#77 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 PM

That pic turned out good Tara .. mind if I save a copy to my computer? I'm rarely in pictures (since I'm 'the photographer') and usually they don't turn out well LOL!
Thanks for showing me how to use the wrap, hopefully I'll get up the nerve to try that myself soon lol! Cute pic of Ally, I always think this.. since I've gone on maternity leave.. but I wish I could do Portraits of Ally sigh, she's such a little doll!

About hubbies, I know all of them are different , but I did want to say my DH was really hesitant to help with our first, and would very easily get frustrated and hand the baby back to me, because he'd just never been around babies much and didn't know what to do. He's gotten better with them with each kid we've had, but there is always a period in the early days when to be quite honest very little can be done by someone other then Momma. So this time around my DH does a lot of diaper changes, and takes the baby when boobs don't satisfy anymore LOL! He can walk or sway him to sleep sometimes, when nothing I've done will work. FWIW with our first kid once the baby was big enough to smile, and laugh DH helped a lot more (aka kiddo had more happy awake time, and wasn't constantly eating/pooping/crying anymore).
It does help to talk (when your calm, aka not in the midst of a meltdown LOL) about it with your DH I found out mine was very frustrated wishing that he could help more, but just didn't know what he could do. So sometimes gentle recommendations of ways that they can help more works well in those cases.

Also my DH helps a lot with the house, and the bigger kids, and even with meals this time around... he has come to understand what a heavy load a newborn is for me and is doing MUCH more to help me now (thankfully).

AAM: Well I don't know about Tara but I really needed to get out of the house today, so LLL was just the ticket for us, my older kids played with the other kids there, and I got to talk with other Mommies. Perfect! Tara got to see my mini-babywearing show and even participated LOL! One of the moms there had questions about baby carriers, so I went to the car and brought in all that I had with me, which was quite an arsenal lol, Samuel and I demonstrated my Maya Wrap Pouch, Mei Tai, Maya Wrap, and Tara showed how to use the Fleece Wraps I had brought with me to give away. It was fun and helped the other Mom, I think she liked the Mei Tai the most.
Well somehow I've managed to get a migraine, am hoping the meds I took for it will stop it from going full-blown, it's probably from being so very over-tired sigh. It's really really hard to watch all three kids when I have a full-on migraine.. this is the second one I've had since baby was born .

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#78 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Sounds like fun! I ordered a babyhawk today and I'm so excited! Btw- they're having a sale on customs. code is gobble.
#79 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 PM

Hey Tara... that was easy!
I had read this (http://www.wrapyourbaby.com/pocketwrapcrosscarry.htm) instruction page several times before but was still sort of 'afraid' of the wrap.. till I saw Tara use one today. Then I went ahead and referred to the above page, but I got him wrapped easily the first time and babe was asleep in a couple mins (when he is normally fussy/tired while I NEEDED to make dinner). Dinner is almost done and he's still sleeping happily in the wrap . Yay! I love the two shouldered support too .

DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#80 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 10:47 PM

That is similar to the way I wrap Adelh and she is always content and usually asleep pretty soon! I do a slightly different wrapping and tying though I may try that one as well. Yeah for babywearing!! :

#81 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 PM

Glad you got the "Moby" figured out! It looks intimidating but is really pretty simple and very supportive if you give it a try! Absolutely copy the pic, no prob.

I think we're going to have our wedding photogs do pro pics of Ally Rae in a few more months. But, you would be more than welcome to play around with taking pics of her if you really want to!
#82 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 PM

Thanks Tara I'll keep a copy of the pic for me ,
and yeah maybe sometime we could snap a few pictures of Ally..

I'm such a baby sling/carrier addict... even though I've only wrapped him once in the fleece.. I'm already thinking how nice it would be to have either a jersey wrap or better yet a woven one LOL! But what I really want to learn next is how to nurse him in the wrap I've heard they are easy to nurse in, and most of my carriers are not easy for discreet nursing.

#83 of 130 Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Ally is really mucus-y and I've been wondering if BM in her nose would help any or just make her mad? She's had a booger-y nose for days but is acting normal and doesn't have a fever or anything. Thoughts?
Annie has been mucousy too. I have to suction her nose. I got a little noses aspirator. The tip is clear so you can see the boogers coming out. I like it so much better than the green bulbs.

The breastmilk will help. Annie has never minded having it in her nose. When I gave it to my first DD I tried it myself. It's a very soft feeling...different than saline. Try it yourself first so you'll know what she is experiencing. It does work great though.

Also remember that just a small amount of mucous can sound like there is alot more in there than there really is. Keep an eye on her temp...it is RSV season and with it being so wet it grows more.
#84 of 130 Old 11-13-2008, 10:11 AM

: with all our dp's giving us grief. I'm mildly in that club as well.

Good morning ladies! My LO is : at Lefty right now. Horray for her first 4 hour sleep stretch at night!!! Last night dd1 had swim lessons and dh watched dd2 (asleep in the stroller) while I got to swim laps. It felt so good to get into the pool. Today is my post-hemorrhage check-up with my OB :

I'll catch up with y'all later!
#85 of 130 Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 PM

You guys are inspiring me to give my Moby another try. I've been alternating my Babyhawk (which I LURVE) and my PS Sling (which I'm trying to love) each day so I can get the hang of them both. I tried the Moby when we first brought Calla home and I used the cradle position. I just hated seeing her all contorted in there, even though I know it's supposed to be fine. I didn't like cradle position for the sling either, having better luck with tummy to tummy (doing that right now, in fact).

Anyway, the carry Rae and Tara and Em are discussing looks similar to the support Calla gets in the Babyhawk, so I think I'll give it a try.

Calla had her check up on Monday and the ped actually called her a "meatball" (official dx). She was nearly 12 pounds at 4 weeks old! She's gaining about a pound a week! It's really exciting seeing how much more alert and strong she is getting now, too. Every new milestone just fills my heart with pride. I love it!

We got the proofs from her newborn photo shoot last night. They turned out extremely well, especially considering all I remember from the photo shoot is Calla pooping on me twice, peeing on me once, and screaming non-stop! They did one where she is photoshopped into a calla lily, like she's sleeping in it. So cute!

Well I'm rambling since I so rarely get to post nowadays. I read this thread and most of the threads in our DDC each evening on my iPhone when I'm doing Calla's night feedings and throughout the day, too. Just never seem to have my hands free and the time to post. I really love keeping up with everyone and hearing what's going on with the babies.

For those having trying times, I hope matters improve soon. I wish everyone all the best!
#86 of 130 Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 PM

Good for all of you who are accomplishing so much!

I put Milo in the Babyhawk when he was screamy yesterday, and he STOOD UP in it for a good ten minutes yelling his little head off!!! He finally took his paci, and fell asleep. He slept for 3 hours!!! It was one of those things where I knew his little tummy was full, and he didn't even want to nurse, I knew he was so tired, but he couldn't organize himself to sleep.

I decided to quit trying to wean from the sheild. After a day and 1/2 of nursing without it, I got a couple of hot zingy spots so I knew he wasn't draining my boobs properly. I think I'll let him nurse w/o the sheild for as long as he'll tolerate it, and then I'll put it on so he can drain it properly. His mouth ios just too small yet, I think.

well, got to go, I have a million things to do today.

Niemals Gewalt
#87 of 130 Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM

My husband was really hands off and very easily frustrated with our first. This time (before he left anyway) he was perfect! So helpful and wonderful. I think a lot of first time dads just need time. It sucks to do it alone (and now I'm alone with both, ack!) but if mine can improve, I'm sure yours will! Just give him time! My dh was also awesome this second pregnancy, too. I think knowing what to expect, knowing it's normal, having lived through it once really makes a difference on how a man looks at things. Now my dh knows this stuff will not last forever, baby will not always be so fussy and needy, etc, and that makes it easier to deal with it while it's happening.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#88 of 130 Old 11-13-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
Thanks Tara I'll keep a copy of the pic for me ,
and yeah maybe sometime we could snap a few pictures of Ally..

I'm such a baby sling/carrier addict... even though I've only wrapped him once in the fleece.. I'm already thinking how nice it would be to have either a jersey wrap or better yet a woven one LOL! But what I really want to learn next is how to nurse him in the wrap I've heard they are easy to nurse in, and most of my carriers are not easy for discreet nursing.
The Moby website where they show instructions for how to wrap and hold, there's a way you can wrap/hold for bf'ing. You might check it out. I haven't been brave enough to try it yet because I don't own any nursing clothes I could wear while babywearing this time of year (I have a tank).

Well, Ally fell asleep after a bit of fussing at about 9pm so we went ahead and went to bed since DH is out of town. She woke up at about 9:30. : I got her to sleep again at about 10 and she slept until 11. Then she was awake and screaming until at least 12:30. I just couldn't find a way to console her so we layed in bed and I cuddled her on my chest and stroked her hair and just let her cry. I think she calmed down at about 12:30 and we both passed out. Rough start to the night. She was perfectly fine after that though. She didn't wake up until about 4 to eat and then it was about every hour to eat after that until she slept from 8-10 when we got up. That's all pretty normal. She tends to cat nap after about 6am and wants to eat more frequently, just like in the evening. She's asleep again now (10:45).

We've got errands to run today but I'm always so hesitant to go because she gets really fussy if we're out of the house much. I think she just really likes home! I need to go to Target and get a mirror for the back seat so I can see her when we drive longer distances. Then we need to drive one of those longer distances (40min to the other side of the city) so I can exchange my new nursing bra that was delivered yesterday and didn't fit. : I'm measuring at a 32G and I tried on the 32F and it was just barely tight but the 32H was too big so I ordered the G. Well, the G fits JUST like the H! So, I'm going to go ahead and get the F since my BFF/doula says I'll probably get a little bit smaller as I continue to nurse anyway. It wasn't uncomfortable, I just thought the G would fit better. Oh well! Since we'll be in the area, we're going to stop by DH's/my Mom's office to see them (at my Mom's request). Then my youngest sis (17) is going to come watch Ally Rae for a bit so I can go to the gym and take a class. I don't like leaving her because I feel guilty but I feel very confident with the few people I'll leave her with and I'm never gone for more than an hour (I stay for only about 45 min of the class). Besides, she sleeps the whole time I'm gone. I just feel like I shouldn't be ok with leaving her for any amount of time this early.

OT, are we moving to the new board when this one closes I take it?
#89 of 130 Old 11-13-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
You guys are inspiring me to give my Moby another try. I've been alternating my Babyhawk (which I LURVE) and my PS Sling (which I'm trying to love) each day so I can get the hang of them both. I tried the Moby when we first brought Calla home and I used the cradle position. I just hated seeing her all contorted in there, even though I know it's supposed to be fine. I didn't like cradle position for the sling either, having better luck with tummy to tummy (doing that right now, in fact).
I hated my Moby. Wasn't convenient enough for me. I have a Peanut Shell and a bushel of mei tais. I also have an African wrap that is one small, wide piece of fabric. I haven't figured out the tummy to tummy in the PS yet and want to.

Quote:
Well, Ally fell asleep after a bit of fussing at about 9pm so we went ahead and went to bed since DH is out of town. She woke up at about 9:30. : I got her to sleep again at about 10 and she slept until 11. Then she was awake and screaming until at least 12:30. I just couldn't find a way to console her so we layed in bed and I cuddled her on my chest and stroked her hair and just let her cry. I think she calmed down at about 12:30 and we both passed out. Rough start to the night.
Does it help to know that mine did that for 7 weeks every night from 5-12 weeks. 4-5 hours every night of inconsolable crying. The doctor called it colic and I called it heartbreaking. Everyone said to do this or cut out that from my diet. I didn't do any of the recommendations and just held her in arms or carrier. It went away on its own and she was then the happiest baby and a great sleeper. HTH.
#90 of 130 Old 11-13-2008, 02:44 PM

^yes, it helps though that totally sucks it could last so long. i figured it was normal but i agree it's just heartbreaking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page