Not supposed to have baby out before 6 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone heard this before? Thats what some lady told me at the store the other day after she asked how old DD was. I just said "no its fine". Sorry lady, I am not staying in my house for 6 weeks. I would go insane. Who does that? she said "now you know youre not supposed to have that baby out before 6 weeks." no I dont know that. I disagree! I hate people. I think that was my first official peice of unwarrented advice since she was born.

She shouldnt get sick. I am breastfeeding and i dont let anyone I dont know touch her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM

I've heard this before too, but I didn't do it with any of my children.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#3 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM

I think that a lot of people just don't know any better. Most people are under the impression that babies still get all of their VAX by 6 weeks (it was like that with my first son) and so people think they shouldn't go outside somehow until then!

I could not have imagined doing that with this baby though I think when I was a much younger mother with my first, I did. People just get so misinformed.
#4 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 PM

I've tended to find that it's just kind of a rumor or myth. I don't see how getting shots matters that much. I'd be more worried about her getting a cold than, say, getting hepatitis at the grocery store!

I think in some religions you aren't really supposed to take the baby out until it is baptised/christened, which happens a few weeks after birth.

I've taken Carolyn out since maybe a week after birth. We go for walks and also shopping. I can't put my life on hold just because I have a newborn. We still need to eat! Luckily I haven't even had any strangers touch her, so I don't see what's so bad about just leaving the house.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#5 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 PM

Hahaha! Yeah right! That is so impractical. I agree, if you are bf'ing (or even if you aren't) and you don't play pass the baby with strangers, your LO should be fine.

Nora has been to the hospital multiple times, the ped more times than I can remember, and more veterinary clinics than I'd like to think about. Plus, we took her with us to vote!!

You gotta do what you gotta do!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 02:06 PM

We've barely left the house and my baby has a cold given to her by her older sister. Hahaha. I could NOT stay in my house for 6 weeks. Especially with dd1. I would go coockoo and she probably would too.
#7 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM

That's crazy. We've been all over the place and he's just now 4 weeks old. I wear him and Bf though so I'm not worried.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#8 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM

Not in any DDC but i had my kids out in the first week, 3 or em at 3 days to get them registered and get their birth Certificates. for me the sooner i get that done the better cos other wise i would forget.

Kiz
#9 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM

I vaguely remember reading somewhere (I think it was in a mainstreamish book) that this whole 6 week thing for the baby is a myth. I think this book basically said, in a nutshell, that if there was some reason the baby should not have been "out and about", then the doctor would not have released the child from the hospital. (Of course this book is assuming all children are born in the hospital in the first place...)

Most people who make comments to me about being out and about are referring to me rather than the baby. And in the first week or two after delivery, they were right. I was miserable being out, but gosh, I had to get my medication. You do want you gotta do.
#10 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM

well, good for you for telling her she didnt know what she was talking about, b/c obviously she doesnt. lol! we were out the next day. i cant just sit at home w/ 3 other kids, one of which is a very active toddler that NEEDS to be outside. OMG i would go insane! lol!
#11 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've heard that befoer but my mom didn't do it with any of us and I won't be doing it wth my DC

happytears.gifMe - married to DHROTFLMAO.gifMomma to furbabies dog2.gifStanley and dog2.gifOscar. TTCing #1 after angel.gif 10/13angel.gif 4/14 waiting for my rainbow1284.gif
#12 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Poppycock!
#13 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 PM

I get this all the time from DH's Grandparents. His Grandma was appalled that we'd take her out before she was at least a month old. "That's not what we did!" Oh geez. It was really common a long time ago. I know some people still prefer to keep their babies inside but that's just not me!
#14 of 25 Old 11-12-2008, 08:41 PM

Jumping in from the Nov. DDC, but yeah, I've heard this one a lot! I think that advice comes from a time when people were not as germ-conscious, didn't breastfeed, and pushed the baby around in a stroller all the time, as opposed to babywearing, so that everyone was free to touch him or her. I mean, it *is* more dangerous for a baby to contract a contagious illness in the first 6 weeks, when his or her immune system is really brand-new, as opposed to later....but if you're bfing, bwing, and not letting coughing and sneezing strangers touch, then I don't think it's as much of a concern. I would get PPD for sure if I had to stay home for 6 weeks! I'm usually in the grocery store and Target and LLL meetings and my other kids' activities by 5 or 6 days!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#15 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

I think if it were a concern some doc or nurse would've said something about it before we were discharged from the hospital.

I havent really gotten to use my sling. I cant seem to find a convenient time to use it. I always need my purse and the diaper bag and I cant carry all of that so the stroller is so convenient w/ that big storage space under it.
#16 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 PM

^I always put my baby in the sling, and stick my diaper bag, etc in the stroller.
#17 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM

^Haha! I knew the stroller would be good for something!!
#18 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee21 View Post
^I always put my baby in the sling, and stick my diaper bag, etc in the stroller.
hee hee thats what a stroller is for IMO

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#19 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM

All four of my children's great grandmothers did not know how to drive until they were in their 50's, if ever, so of course these lovely ladies would not have been taking the baby out and about. Times have changed!
#20 of 25 Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, then I might just have to do that. So far every time i have been shopping it has been for clothes so I couldnt wear her cause I was doing some serious trying-on. I always bring the sling in the mall w/ me incase she gets fussy but havent needed it. Plus her stoller is the travel system kind where you set the infant carseat ontop facing you and then I just pull up both canopies so she is completely covered and theres a little clear plastic window so I can see her. That way no one even asks to touch her since its pretty obvious I dont want her to be messed w/.
#21 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM

My little one has gone with me everywhere sense day #1 we took her to see my grandparents when she was 20 hours old (I was sick of sitting at home already.)

The cashier at Wal-mart had the nerve to tell me that I shouldn't have her out because it was cold when she was about 4 weeks. I held my tounge really good but I was very tempted to question her medical credentials.

DP & I pretty much decided to hell with everyone's opinion about 5 minutes after we found out I was pregnant. We will parent the best way we know how and if anybody disagrees with us we will compare final products when our children are grown.
#22 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 01:59 PM

I got a very mean look for having my LO out at a restaurant on Day 5. Little did that woman know that I had been at the hospital to get an ultrasound which diagnosed my retained blood clot, and I was shaking hands starving while we were waiting for my prescription at the pharmacy. It just reminded me that you can't really judge someone without knowing their circumstances...everyone thinks they know what's best for your babe...it's really annoying.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#23 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 06:25 PM

I was always told to avoid large crowds and passing the baby from person to person for 4 weeks. Needless to say Jack was born on a monday and I went to church on Sunday

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#24 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 PM

We had Calli at DH's grandparents 60th wedding anniversary at a little over 2 weeks old. I was seriously PO'd when my MIL grabbed her out of my arms and started passing her around (thats another story though), but she is ok, thank goodness. I really didn't want to go in the first place.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#25 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM

We stopped at my grandmother's house on the way home! I figure all the palces I usually go are already familiar germs anyway, so how dangerous could it be?

Mrs Bratton- pare down your load! I can get diapers for both boys, a spare outfit for Milo, wipes, wallet, hairbrush, small toy, receiing blanket, extra breastpads, a travel cup for DS1, and the baby carrier all into the diaper bag. I usually have a spare pocket, too. I do take the stroller when clothes shopping, or I take DH!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page