Weekly Post Partum Chat & Support 11/15-11/21 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Did you use the GSE topically or orally? I could probably finagle diflucan out of my mw...if I had to.
GSE is really nasty when you drink it. I can hardly stand it. For the life of me I can't remember the doc's website I was on but it said 10-15 drops per ounce of water to swab the baby's mouth and the nips. Do the baby's mouth after eating and do the nips before and after.

You can put the GSE in a little bit of apple juice to mask the awful taste.

Keep up on it really good and I bet you can tackle it with the GSE alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM

^Thanks! That's what I'm doing. I hope I can kick it with GSE and taking probiotics alone. I read to only do the baby's mouth before the feeding so they don't equate nursing with the bitterness.

I'm surprised that so many of us are dealing/have dealt with thrush already. Of course it wasn't even on my radar. Figures.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#63 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM

#64 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM

sonshinerae- I have some of the gentle naturals stuff, but I've been using some Keihl's massage scalp oil that a friend had given me. I've only been massaging is scalp with a washcloth, thobecause it looks so red underneath, and the part I scraped off with a fingernail (gently!) actually bled a bit. I'll just keep plugging away at it.

janasmama- what's GSE? Always curious about boobie stuff!!

Fairieshadow- I'm sorry to hear your girly parts aren't up to spec! It can take quite a while, I know. It took the full six weeks with DS1, and even then, the MW had to remove the last stitches, as they hadn't come out yet. We were probably ten weeks or more before we even attempted to dtd that time, and it wasn't much fun when we did. It eventually got even better than before the birth, tho, so it's worth it!

AAM- with DS1 I basically told my DH the same thing- the soonr you help with him, the easier it'll be. He had to find his own way to do things too.

I am having AF type cramps the last few days, but no bleeding, and I feel very dull and tired like I do on AF, so I have no clue what's going on. I really should clean, but I think I'm gonna take a nap.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#65 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
Unfortnately I didn't think and put it on over my pajamas. Now I can't get dressed without moving her/waking her up. :
I've done that a couple times!! Just take it as a sign that you should chill out for a while.

Lee - good to hear from you!!! Sorry your nursing is still rough, mine is too. I'm pretty much going with "not as painful as it could be" and being happy with the latch at this point.

AAM: Midwives are coming tonight, we get to see how much Adelh weighs! I'm super curious b/c she's totally chunked up and is getting heavy to hold. At least the only issue with our nursing is that it hurts me; she's gaining and healthy so is getting plenty of good milk.

So.. my LC friend has offered to come by and take a look again at our latch. I'm not sure when she'll get over here b/c of our midwife visit, but she told me not to be silly about the $. Also going on Wednesday to the free meeting with the IBCLC at the hospital. I'm hoping to get at least a plan of action if not some results!

Addie has a diaper rash now. I'm still thinking about thrush in the back of my head, but she wants to nurse all the time, there is no white stuff except a thin covering on her tongue after nursing, and Dh says my nips don't look red. And sometimes it doesn't hurt when I nurse. But now that diaper rash has me thinking again. My midwives recommended Apple Cider Vinegar and said it works wonders if you do have thrush. Just another natural remedy that isn't as messy as GV.

Definite 3 week growth spurt. Addie is fussy for the first time ever, obviously tired but requiring quite a bit of parenting to get to sleep. She also nursed every 1-2 hrs last night, which left me with very little in between b/c I had to rock/bounce/sway her after each feeding to get her back to sleep. I tried not getting up this morning, but after yet another 1/2 hr stretch of sleep I finally gave up. It's almost harder to get up again after that than just to be up, yk?

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#66 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
janasmama- what's GSE? Always curious about boobie stuff!!
Not Janasmama obviously, but GSE is grapefruit seed extract. It's a natural antibacterial/antifungal.
#67 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 PM

hey everyone....I actually forgot abouy this thread...i kept checking the board and wondering why no one was posting...duh...pregnancy brain! lol

Things are really good here...I am amazed at how well we have adapted going from a family of 4 till a family of 5..of course it helps that Dh has been home with me.

Keir is an amazing baby...don't get me wrong we have our moments but he truly is amazing. He is a bit of a night owl but once in bed around midnight will give me a 3-4 hour stretch so that helps.

The boys have adapted great to having him here...they are so in love and act like he has always been apart of our family.

Hugs to all you mama having problems with unhelpful Dh's, no sleep, fiesty babes, thrush and ppd....I wish I could help each one of you!!
#68 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 PM

mamanurse, have you tried babywearing in order to get 2 free hands to eat? That's what I do during the day when no one is here to hold Ally Rae while I get things accomplished. I hope you can find a way to keep Hazel happy AND get 2 free hands! It's amazing how much I appreciate both of my hands these days.... GL!

We've now had 3 good, minimally fussy nights now! Keeping the house calm during the day but not quiet or dark seems to be working perfectly. YES! We had a rough start to the morning though. She had another fit with trying to get some mucus out. It really upsets her when she's that mucus-y and can't get it out, and I feel so bad for her. I think I'm going to try breastmilk in her nose and see if it will help this.

We went to the health food store today to pick up my probiotics and DH's acidophilis and then went to Target to get a mirror so I can see her when we're in the car alone. She was perfectly content in her Moby the whole time.

Ally slept long enough this afternoon for me to get in 30min of kickboxing and another 20min of abs! I only had to soothe her once and that was toward the end of my kickboxing time. YAY!
#69 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
mamanurse, have you tried babywearing in order to get 2 free hands to eat? That's what I do during the day when no one is here to hold Ally Rae while I get things accomplished. I hope you can find a way to keep Hazel happy AND get 2 free hands! It's amazing how much I appreciate both of my hands these days.... GL!
Oh yes I babywear. I could NOT survive without my mei tai or peanut shell. It's not the same as having my chest free though. I still have to reach around my Ginormous boobs and the babe to reach what's in front of me. Dh will also take her during meals and food prep to let me shovel food into my mouth or cook ininhibited.
#70 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM

^Haha! So true. I wear Ally Rae most of the day but trying to do things like load the dishwasher or pack a suitcase are really hard with all the bending over, squatting, standing, reaching, etc. I can't put dishes away at all while I wear her because she is in the way of the countertop since I'm so short.
#71 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Em, how do you use the ACV?

My main thrush symptoms are burning nips and occasional sharp shooting breast pains. The LO's nursing is not affected. I think all that I am doing (GSE on nips and internally, lotrimin & 4 days of GV) is keeping it at bay but not kicking it.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#72 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 PM

^I take it you haven't invested in some stilts yet? I also don't always feel safe cooking with babe on my chest. No problem when she gets to the back carry stage, but I'd rather put her down a few minutes in the sidecar and have her fuss/cry than burn her.
#73 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 PM

^No, no stilts yet. I have a footstool that makes me a foot taller but I'm afraid to stand on it while I'm wearing her for fear of falling. Why is it that I felt perfectly fine with climbing on cabinets and such when I was pg and didn't worry about falling and now I won't even use a step stool?! Haha!
#74 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 PM

I seriously just locked myself in the nursery for a few minutes (with baby safely in his crb) while I laid down a few minutes on the floor (head on a pooh bear)...... and hid from my older kids.

While they ran around yelling and banging on the door. I was afraid I might hurt someone... I'm still not in much better shape, two screaming (as in tearful) kids and one older brat that I just sent to his room (who caused some of the screaming around here).

I so need a good cry.. and a gooooooooood long sleep!!!!!!!!

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#75 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 09:04 PM

Wow lots of thrush woes! I hope everyone is feeling better soon. I am intensely paranoid that we'll get thrush. I bother the ped about it each visit, but she says Calla is fine. I still get nipple soreness after five weeks of breast feeding; I'd expect it to be gone by now. But then again, I do sometimes let her eat even when the latch is less than perfect. There aren't any other symptoms of thrush, though. Still I worry about it all the time.

I'm thinking of using ACV, since I have some around, just in case. Wouldn't hurt anything, right? I think it would give me some piece of mind.

Oh I've put my wrap on over my PJs a few times, too. Oops.

And I am still loving my Moby so much.

Calla is usually so good and chilled out, but lately she's been crying, sometimes squealing, and straining as she toots and/or has a BM. I've read online that it's normal and doesn't mean anything is wrong with the baby, but it breaks my heart because she seems so uncomfortable and upset. I rub her tummy and bicycle her legs when she has days like that. Wearing her seems to help, too. Anyone have any advice about this? Today has been one of those days. I just want to do everything I can for her...
#76 of 187 Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
I seriously just locked myself in the nursery for a few minutes (with baby safely in his crb) while I laid down a few minutes on the floor (head on a pooh bear)...... and hid from my older kids.

While they ran around yelling and banging on the door. I was afraid I might hurt someone... I'm still not in much better shape, two screaming (as in tearful) kids and one older brat that I just sent to his room (who caused some of the screaming around here).

I so need a good cry.. and a gooooooooood long sleep!!!!!!!!
s Just lots and lots of s Any way DH can take care of the older 2 and you can lock yourself up in a room with Samuel for the night? I hope you can find some peace and rest.
#77 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
s Just lots and lots of s Any way DH can take care of the older 2 and you can lock yourself up in a room with Samuel for the night? I hope you can find some peace and rest.
Thanks Tara,
thankfully I was able to get a hold of my DH and he came home a little early, took all the kids from me and sent me to bed. I had my good cry, and slept about an hour (then woke from period cramps... err!), shortly after that the baby woke, and DH tried to get him back down but he wouldn't go. But at least I got a little break, and DH did feed the bigger kids and get them to bed while I was down too.

I 'just' got Samuel back to sleep, and if he stays there another couple of minutes.. then I'm headed to bed too.

What a day...... *sigh*

Sorry for being 'AAM' so much lately girls.... I hope the thrush, and cranky baby stuff calms down for you all soon! For gassy babies don't forget to try gripe water it works most of the time (even helps with hiccups!).

DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#78 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 11:44 AM

Rae - Don't apologize! That is what we are here for. I'm so happy you got some time to decompress yesterday. We all need downtime, and it's so hard to get.

AAM - Ok, I need to vent. This is going to be long, but I'm about to blow! I am upset/angry at DH. Yesterday he got home from work, and took Nora for me for about an hour (I'll be generous) while I went to the gym. I came home, and she needed to eat, so I took a quick shower and then fed her.

DH made us dinner, so I'll give him a little credit. We were out in the living room watching TV, and he was on the laptop. So, I somehow ended up having the baby again trying to soothe her and calm her. Every time she cried a little loudly, he'd pause the TV - god forbid he miss a few seconds of his show. He did it like 4 times and I gave him an attitude about it.

Then I realized that even after eating dinner I was still hungry and wanted to make myself something to eat. So I asked him to take her and he did so, but begrudgingly. ARGH. I was hungry and just wanted to make a pb&j to eat! Then as I'm eating, he kept turning her toward me and being like, "Mommy, are you almost done?" At this point I was like, "Just let me eat something, okay? I'll take her when I'm done, just play with her!"

So I quickly finished up, took her back and then she was showing signs of being sleepy so I took her into the bedroom to try to nurse her down. Yeah, didn't work. She was more awake after eating then before. So I set her in her swing and lay down on the couch. She was calm just looking at herself and the mobile in her swing. DH had been in the bathroom, so he came out and said, "I think I'm going to go to bed."

I politely (through gritted teeth) asked him if he would stay with her for a few hours and take first shift so I could sleep for at least an hour. He said ok (but I could tell he was pissed). So I go lay down and within seconds I hear her screaming bloody murder. I jumped up and ran out to the living room.

He had turned out all the lights and it was pitch black in the LR! She couldn't see herself in the mirror or the mobile that was keeping her calm, not to mention I'm sure she's not comfortable in pitch darkness yet!

So I yelled a little. I told him to just go to bed if that's what he wanted to do, and I would stay up and take care of her like I'd been doing all day long. We argued for a moment, but then ultimately I did go lay down. I fell asleep I was so exhausted. I hear her crying what seems like a minute later - actually it had been an hour exactly, and he comes in with her saying he thinks she's hungry. I took her, and she did eat a little - but DH lay down and goes to sleep right beside me. Oh, ok. I guess I'm up for the night.

So, we go out in the LR again. I finally did get her to sleep around 1 am. Not bad for her. We slept till 5am, and then slept again till 8:30 am. Not a bad nights sleep at all for us! I just wish it didn't have to be on the couch!

This morning comes, and DH seems pissy, so I ask him what's the matter, did we keep him up last night? And his response? "No, I'm upset b/c I overslept and didn't get to go running this morning."

He is just being so selfish! Gee, I wish I could complain about something like that! I wish my biggest issue right now was that I didn't get to go running - not thrush, not that I had to sleep on the couch with Nora, not the fact that I feel like I never have a moment to myself!

He didn't ask me how the night went, he didn't ask me how I was doing this morning, he didn't even really pay me any mind. I am so pissed ... and sort of hurt.

Thanks for reading this long drawn out rant. I know we're all having adjustment issues but this episode just really takes the cake. I don't even know what to say to him at this point. Argh.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#79 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 11:53 AM

#80 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 PM

oh carrie btdt.....it makes my hea spin

my food is still in the car from last night b i had to get a sleeping toddler to the sofa yesterday and then a screaming baby....come and nurse and then change diapers.....i still ont know how im going to get them out today bc i cant get my car in the garage....but dp was sooooo tired last night after his first day back at work lol

we are just built stronger....thats all it is
#81 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Oh Carrie i'm so sorry you are going through that with your Dh...it certainly isn't fair and you have every right to be upset.

Why is it men seem to think that taking care of baby is our sole responsibility.

when dh and I had our first son, we had a long conversation about responsibility and kids. When he is at work my job is the kids, his job is work. When he gets home we split everything...he does not get off the hook because he worked all day....so did I!!
#82 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
we are just built stronger....thats all it is
I like that!

Thanks guys, thanks for hearing me out. Even just typing it all out made me feel a little better, put it in perspective. And I did get sleep last night so it's not like it was "teh worst night evar" with her.

I did forget to mention that he did laundry - but left the clothes in the dryer and left wet clothes in the wash. And made dinner but left everything out on the stove and didn't load the dishwasher. Hmph.

#83 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM

Oh, Carrie, I feel you pain lady. I was just getting ready to post a similar vent. Ally Rae didn't sleep AT ALL last night and was screaming. She slept for about 20 min at a time. He just kept rolling over and changing positions in bed all huffy and puffy. Well, I'm sorry we're disturbing you! UGH. Then this morning, I texted him to say I wasn't going to be joining him and his Grandma for dinner at her house tonight. His response was, "I didn't figure. You seemed frustrated this morning. You ok?" AM I OK!?!?!? You're kidding, right? That has got to be the stupidest question of 2008! I told him I was tired, cranky, frustrated, and overwhelemed. Then he says, "Just remember this is time is only a small piece of the pie and you'll miss this." Gee, thanks. I'm not frustrated with Ally Rae, I'm frustrated with you! I didn't respond because I know I would've gone off on him. I've spent the first part of this morning crying. Rough day.

On a more positive note, I forgot to post that Ally Rae ROLLED OVER, yes, rolled over on Sunday night! We were having tummy time and she started kind of teetering on her left side so I told DH to watch because I thought she might roll over. Sure enough, probably 60sec later, BLOOP! Over she went! She's just 6wks today! Good grief. I crawled at 3mo but I didn't roll this early! I'm afraid of how early she may become mobile.....things get so much harder when they're mobile. But, she hasn't done it again since so maybe it was just a fluke.

Even with my rough night and pi$$y attitude today, I'm still aiming to get my weight training and ab work out in this afternoon. Good thing is I can do weights while I wear Ally Rae, in case she's fussy. She's asleep in her Moby right now so I'm enjoying a cup of hot tea (Yogi Nursing Mother's Tea).
#84 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 PM

Carrie I'm sorry your so frustrated with your DH,
things happen.

Can I make a suggestion in general to all of the first time Moms? Take it easy on your DH he's a new Dad same as your a new Mom, the 'rules' of the family have completely changed and it will take a while for you both to get comfortable in your new roles. Try to count the positive things they do NOT the negative, try to thank and respect them for what they do accomplish. The more you build them up, the more they will want to help, the more you tear them down, the more likely you'll hear 'everything I do is wrong, I just can't please you anymore.' And if you get the last comment they may shutdown and stop helping all together. I say this out of love and experience.... parenting isn't quite as 'natural' to Dads so we have to help and encourage them in it.

Now to my AAM:

I LOVE my DH... he was awesome last night, I thought what he had done earlier in the evening was kind, and helpful.. but I went to bed at 10:30.. babe woke at 11pm.... DH stayed with the baby till 2am.. put him to bed (asleep) and joined me in bed for about an hour before baby woke to eat!! I got a lot of sleep last night, especially since I was able to change, feed, and get baby back to sleep by himself by 4am .. then baby slept till 7:15... yay!! I almost never get the baby back to sleep by himself again in the middle of the night .

This was just what I needed after such a awful day yesterday, now if I can just be careful to stay positive today, maybe things won't end so poorly this time.

Samuel is growing a lot lately we had to pull out the 3-6 month clothes over the weekend even! But I think that's part of the problem I may call the doc's office and see if Samuel needs his reflux meds upped due to his weight gain, since he's fussing/crying for hrs a day again and spitting up a lot after every feeding.

Something I had to do after my first baby.. and again after my second baby... though this time I don't really care anymore LOL! Was to 'let go' of the housework and how I wanted it to be done, before kids I stayed at home and kept it all nice and neat.... with each kid I've had to 1. realize things won't be that neat anymore and 2. let DH help in HIS OWN WAY without criticizing that he isn't doing it the way 'I' would. MAN that is sooo hard, but some other Moms coached me on it, and it really does work DH helps more and more these days.. when I don't fuss at him for 'his way' of doing things. Things do eventually get done, and even if they are different.. they are fine .

#85 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 PM

(((hugs)))) Tara I'm sorry you must have been posting while I was typing...... I've BTDT .... I find it easier to just go to the couch on days like that.. then I didn't have to hear DH's grumbles.. and could just deal with the baby. Generally at times like that my DH won't ask to help with the baby unless 1. I tell him I need help or 2. He hears how upset I'm getting (aka if I'm talking in threatening tones to a sweet innocent baby LOL!)

*AAM again ..... my period is kind of heavy and painful.... I sure hope this doesn't mean I'm going to start ovulating lol... I'm a bit freaked at the thought of Irish twins! I need to get a call in so that I can get fitted for a diaphragm again!!

#86 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 PM

^I did ask for help last night....he was sleeping so heavily, he didn't move a muscle. I ended up going downstairs and putting her in her Moby and that didn't work. So, we paced the nursery and cried together.
#87 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM

ah man .... I'm sorry about that... I think I've cried 'with' all of my babies.... it at least relieves some of my stress as baby lets out his/her stress I guess.

(((((big hugs)))))))

#88 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM

Yes, big hugs to you, Tara!

I know it's gotta be hard for 1st time Dads too, but it's so hard to work up any sympathy for them sometimes.

I'm also pissed b/c I was going to grab a shower while Nora is asleep -- and our water is out. WTH? That never happens.

#89 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 01:48 PM

Okay... now Carrie.... I think that does 'take the cake' ... I'd probably have a fit about the water going out...... errrrr! So totally not fair (((hugs)).

Ah yes..... sympathy for others is hard to come by when your having such a hard time yourself.... I know yesterday I was feeling angry about everyone and everything..... it was such a bad day.

I can only be so chipper today since I had sleep.... by this evening I'll probably be whining and upset again..... so don't mind me if I'm annoying right now..... (aka sorry if I seemed pushy earlier.. but I was just trying to help).

#90 of 187 Old 11-18-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post

Can I make a suggestion in general to all of the first time Moms? Take it easy on your DH he's a new Dad same as your a new Mom, the 'rules' of the family have completely changed and it will take a while for you both to get comfortable in your new roles. Try to count the positive things they do NOT the negative, try to thank and respect them for what they do accomplish. The more you build them up, the more they will want to help, the more you tear them down, the more likely you'll hear 'everything I do is wrong, I just can't please you anymore.' And if you get the last comment they may shutdown and stop helping all together. I say this out of love and experience.... parenting isn't quite as 'natural' to Dads so we have to help and encourage them in it.
Yes, this!!! It can be SO HARD sometimes, too, because we're the ones who went through the physical process of being pregnant, giving birth, and dealing with pp hormones, nursing, etc... but they are going through a lot of changes too. I have learned to force myself to think rationally about whatever stupid thing DH has said or done "this time"... if it's something I can tell I'm choosing to take the wrong way because I'm cranky, I drop it. If it's something that could be fixed with an explanation of my side of things, I choose my words carefully. And the nicer I am about things while still letting him know when I need something from him - whether emotionally, or something around the house, or whatever, the more he tries to make my life easier. When I let my anger or frustration dictate how I talk to him, he ends up defensive and we get nowhere.

It stills SUCKS when they just don't get things though!

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page