Weekly Post Partum Chat & Support 11/15-11/21 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Temp: Normally we keep it around 70 but we just put a wood stove in our house and it has been much warmer in here. We are still trying to figure out how to regulate the temp. It was so nice to sit in front of and watch the snow yesterday.

Someone is trying to get milk out of my shoulder...be back later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM

We have a woodstove too, so it varies wildly between 60 and 75 in here. It's so nice to be super warm sometimes though.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
Old 11-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
And Im still starving! i checked out some online sources and looking around i should be eating around 2500-3000 calories a day. im not use to counting calories at all but i know im not getting that much or anywhere near it. I eat pretty well but i am always starving right now...like an hour after i eat! lol! I think i could spend my day eating...certainly feels like i spend my day nursing and changnig diapers.
I finally have an appetite postpartum. I didn't know that's how many calories we need to consume to maintain our weight. I have no intention of eating that much since I'd like to lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionbelt View Post
It was so nice to sit in front of and watch the snow yesterday.
OOOOOH snow. One of my favorite 4 letter words in the winter.

AAM: Dh tried to introduce a bottle last night and ge said she didn't take it well. He said she spit the milk out around the sides instead of gulping it down her throat. Not good news since I want her to have a bottle for when I go back to work. We'll try again, though, and it's not unusual for a bf baby to have trouble taking a bottle. A small part of me is proud of her and me. She likes her milk right from the tap! I never could say that with dd1.

I'm going stir crazy in my house. Especially if dh doesn't take dd1 anywhere. I will leave the house again starting next Monday.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
I finally have an appetite postpartum. I didn't know that's how many calories we need to consume to maintain our weight. I have no intention of eating that much since I'd like to lose weight.

thats not the number required for nursing one baby...i think that is more like 2000-2500 (from kellymom.com) in order to maintain pre-pregnancy weight and nurse a baby. i am trying to figure out how many for 2 nurslings since my toddler has decided AGAIN that food is just not worth it...im EBF the baby of course and the toddler is nursing all the time right now...for prob. around 75% of his nutrition at this point. Its really important for me to get enough calories but its more important for me to get the right kind. Im not concerned about weight loss...I dont lose weight by nursing (im one of the exceptions in that regard). I dont actually even know how much i gained during pregnancy b/c we didnt do weight checks. I know I need to wait for my hips to get back to normal and i have a bit of fat around my tummy and thighs still but it took 9 months to get there..it will come off eventually.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 PM

here is the info for n's auctions, and pictures of my pretty pretty baby:http://fclct.org/Noelani%20Rose.html

first time moms, keep those DH's in check! they need to parent too

gotta run my 2 yaer old is complaining about her first experince with tights...le sigh...
Old 11-19-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
With the nightmarish time we had with sleep last night, I've been really dragging today and feeling like PPD is just another restless night away with no help from DH. But, I decided that while it was ok for me to feel this way, it's NOT ok for it to rule me.

I also tried a new hold in my Moby today. The name escapes me but she's facing me with her legs out and passed out within minutes of being put in.
I love that you said that. It really helps when you allow yourself to be in a funk, but not let it take over who you are. Go mama!

I think Nora hates being worn. Every time I try to put her in the Moby she cries. Ugh, I really wanted to use it on Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll try a little bit each day to see if she just needs to get used to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
AAM:

My baby is 7 weeks old..... how did this happen? He doesn't look so tiny anymore.. that's a 3-6m outfit he's wearing even! Quick pic I took of him on Tuesday morning.
Mine is 7 weeks too (well, tomorrow)! I cannot BELIEVE it! And what a gentleman your little guy is! How cute!!

Quote:
And Im still starving! i checked out some online sources and looking around i should be eating around 2500-3000 calories a day. im not use to counting calories at all but i know im not getting that much or anywhere near it. I eat pretty well but i am always starving right now...like an hour after i eat! lol! I think i could spend my day eating...certainly feels like i spend my day nursing and changnig diapers.

i hope everyone's thrush clears up. i get so scared of stuff like that but i dont even know how i would know if i had it. ive had pain in my nips and painful let down but i thought that was normal. what rae the symptoms for thrush?
I don't eat enough either. Nothing really appeals to me. I try to eat but I get so bored with the choices that I'd rather just not eat. I know that's not cool, though, so I'm trying to come up with new/interesting things to eat.

For me, thrush presented itself as some pretty painful burning while Nora was eating the other night. I said, Ow, she must be latched on wrong! But I took a look and she was just fine. So that was my first inkling. Then the next time she went to eat, the burning was unbearable and lasted the entire feeding. The burning continued after the feeding too. And my nips were pink.

Then I realized I'd just finished a course of abx for mastitis and it didn't occur to me at all to up my probiotics.

AAM - This morning DH started with me again. I started to cry b/c I had just had it. Ultimately, I asked him straight out, "Who are you to be pissy in the morning? Really? I have her all day and all night, and when you get up in the morning, I paint a big smile on my face and ask you how you slept, just to maintain some semblance of normalcy b/w you and I, and you get pissy at me? And grumble?"

Well, that apparently hit home. He apologized profusely and actually offered to take the couch and give us the bed at night! He also said that he agrees that he thinks it's time to start introducing the bottle again once a day, so he can take on a little more parenting when he gets home.

I am pleased. We'll see how it all goes.

On another note
(wow this is a long post) Nora's been spitting up so much more since we started using the GSE. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be upsetting her tummy? Also, this morning, she spit up and there was definitely a glob of yellow mucus in it. She's been congested and is usually snarfly in the am, so I figure she just swallowed mucus, but I'm not sure how "normal" that is. Any ideas?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I think Nora hates being worn. Every time I try to put her in the Moby she cries. Ugh, I really wanted to use it on Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll try a little bit each day to see if she just needs to get used to it
you have to move around a bit to get them to settle in. most babies fuss when they are first put in. and some don't like to lay on their sides and need to be more upright. keep trying, and relax. if you relax she will.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 PM

symptoms of thrush forme were- red-shiny burny nipples. pain got worse after feed was over.

house is @ 66 @night- 68 daytime. i put Milo in fuzzy outfits. DS1 too. I dream of 70 degrees!

DH watched ds1 last night so I could takeMilo to his welcome party. Got lots of sposies, of course, maybe I can exchange them all at kmart fo store credit? is that wrong? got lots of nice outfits too.

boobies are better this morning, but I'll have to keep an eye on them. :
somehow, I need toget more rest.

off to the grocerystore with us. . .

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
thats not the number required for nursing one baby...i think that is more like 2000-2500 (from kellymom.com) in order to maintain pre-pregnancy weight and nurse a baby.
Awwww... I see. I'm definitely hitting around 2000 calories a day. Maybe a little more. I'm going to add my swimming routine back in as soon as I'm cleared by my MD so then it won't really matter if I'm going over 2000 calories. My current weight is actually 3 pounds below my prepregnancy since I only gained baby, placenta, blood, and fluid while pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayleesan View Post
first time moms, keep those DH's in check! they need to parent too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Well, that apparently hit home. He apologized profusely and actually offered to take the couch and give us the bed at night! He also said that he agrees that he thinks it's time to start introducing the bottle again once a day, so he can take on a little more parenting when he gets home.

I am pleased. We'll see how it all goes.
I'm kinda suprised (and a bit apalled) that there are so many of us sleeping on the couch instead of our beds. I think I read 3 posts yesterday with moms sleeping on the couch. IMO, the dh's/dp's should be the ones sleeping outside of the bed if anyone is at all. We're the ones waking every 2-3 hours around the clock and the ones who carry around the baby all day long. Unless the couch is more comfortable for the nursing couplet, I can't see any reason why the couplet shouldn't have the bed.

My dh slept up on the futon in the bonus room for all of our comfort the first week after dd2 was born. He tried once or twice to convince me to have us sleep up there instead of him and he got a very candid response from me. He quickly apologized both times and I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. In fact, he's offered to sleep up there once or twice since the first week. I secretly wish he'd sleep up there all the time and only come down to DTD He's stinky, sweaty, and exceedingly noisy with his snoring. Wow.... I'm nasty this morning. Sorry mamas. I'd use the "no sleep" card, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be worth anything in this thread
Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Here, here!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 PM

Elina fusses more with the Moby as well at first - one of the reasons I wasn't using it. But, once she settles in, she seems almost more comfy than in the pouch sling. Problem with her is that she gets pissy and stiffens up/straightens her legs/refuses to get all snuggled for the newborn holds. So getting her in can be a pita. I suppose it doesnt help that I'm stll a bit fumble fingered when it comes to getting the wrap on, so she gets mad waiting for me.

Here's a pic of our attempt at that hip hold - didn't quite work out as a hip hold but she got comfy enough to sleep for a couple hours, which was a blessing, I got to spend the evening focusing on ds. She liked it better than the cradle hold I've been doing so I'm going to have to play some more and get bette at wrapping.

Moby

Carrie, I'm glad your DH listened to and apologized! That in itself had to make you feel tons better. I hope you start getting more rest.

AAM: My baby girl rolled over for the first time today and I didn't get to see it! I put her down on a blanket on the floor to so I could finish making some tea. I had put her tummy down, I walked back in the room and she was laying on her back. Stinker! So funny, the first time around I couldn't wait for ds to reach milestones and do new things. This time, I just want her to stay baby as long a possible, she's our last and I want to savor the newborn stage....

Got a good half hour workout in today, I feel great now. When the emergence-C and coffee wear off it will be another story.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM

Holy Sleep Batman!!!! Guess how good 6 hrs of uninterrupted sleep feels?!? Like this: :::::::: It's amazing how much better I feel, more energy, ready to face the challenges of the day.... I mean, I read/hear about how much sleep deprivation makes things harder, but until I'd gotten some decent sleep I hadn't really realized that fact. I don't think Addie will make this a habit, but oh my goodness it was such a relief last night!

I read through, but don't have a lot of time to respond individually...

So I've been doing a diary of our nursing relationship to try and find a "big picture" problem... and one thing I've found is that I get something called vasospasms, which are where after the feeding your nipple blanches white, burns painfully, then throbs when it turns pink again... and then the process repeats... every couple minutes for a while. I've had this after every feeding, and mildly after pumping, regardless of whether the latch felt wrong or not. Just knowing this has made the pain I've been dealing with more doable, I think a lot of it was this (she does have other issues too though) and I was just in this haze of pain so often it was hard to see.

Got a huge day planned - Gotta go grocery shopping, want to stop by the New Mom's Group run by an IBCLC, and need to clean the house up a bit b/c a friend is coming to visit (but not staying with us thank god!). Guess I should finish up on the computer and get busy... luckily I feel well rested for the first time since she was born, so I might actually accomplish everything!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 11-19-2008, 04:26 PM

Amber, my nipples do the same thing. It eased up greatly after a few months with my son, so I hope it'll ease up this time, too.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
Old 11-19-2008, 04:57 PM

I'm wiped. DS has been spitting up. Please say it is just today! DD did the projectile thing all the time! Now he is only sleeping in arms. I need to put him in my Moby, but want to get dressed first. At least I feel a little human-- I showered today. Still, I've gotten little sleep since 2 & had wanted a nap while DD is @ school.

Thanks all for input on temp of house-- I'll insist @ the IL's and program ours higher.

Mamanurse-- such was the case w/ DD-- DH slept on the couch for the first 3 months of her life, but now I'm on the couch with DS so DH and DD can sleep. It's not just his comfort I'm attending to, and I am getting the hang of couch sleeping now.

I need to get a breast pump. Which one do you like? I had a Medela, but thought I was done having kids.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM

I have an ameda and love it.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Holy Sleep Batman!!!! Guess how good 6 hrs of uninterrupted sleep feels?!? Like this: :::::::: It's amazing how much better I feel, more energy, ready to face the challenges of the day.... I mean, I read/hear about how much sleep deprivation makes things harder, but until I'd gotten some decent sleep I hadn't really realized that fact. I don't think Addie will make this a habit, but oh my goodness it was such a relief last night!

I read through, but don't have a lot of time to respond individually...

So I've been doing a diary of our nursing relationship to try and find a "big picture" problem... and one thing I've found is that I get something called vasospasms, which are where after the feeding your nipple blanches white, burns painfully, then throbs when it turns pink again... and then the process repeats... every couple minutes for a while. I've had this after every feeding, and mildly after pumping, regardless of whether the latch felt wrong or not. Just knowing this has made the pain I've been dealing with more doable, I think a lot of it was this (she does have other issues too though) and I was just in this haze of pain so often it was hard to see.
Amber.... I know how it feels.... I couldn't believe it but Samuel (after being fussy from 9:30pm-12am) slept from shortly after 12 am till 7am!!!!!!!! I didn't put him in his bed until 12:30 because I was so afraid he'd wake.. but he stayed down....

When the baby woke this morning and the alarm radio was playing.... I said in a shocked voice to DH 'HE didn't wake up!?!' Then I had to assure myself of that and ask DH if he'd heard the baby cry in the night any lol!

I felt sooooo much better.... for a few hrs.... lol now I'm getting tired again.

Amber can you tell me more about that spasms thing? I've never heard of it, but I have pain after nursing and had seen my nipples white during the pain but didn't realize there was an actual issue.. usually after a little while they turn a pinkish red (and still feel tender). What is this??

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

Old 11-19-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
^ we did..
I am so. Effing. Jealous!!!!!!

But lucky you.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Is it just me? I have NO sex drive. We dtd once... I promised he'd get lucky if Obama won. It was scary but not uncomfortable- not remotely enjoyable either.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
Is it just me? I have NO sex drive. We dtd once... I promised he'd get lucky if Obama won. It was scary but not uncomfortable- not remotely enjoyable either.
Nope, not just you. And my dh is 500 miles away so there's no one bugging me

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 PM

no sex drive here, either. It's like the first time we DTD got it out of my system. . .

I made chili! :

I also got everyhting on my admitidly short to do list done. Or I will once I've bathed the baby!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 PM

I bought some bison chili at whole foods the other day that was phenomenal. Mmmm!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:11 PM

I don't know if this is worse or better - I actually HAVE a sex drive, but I have a baby who won't sleep anywhere but on me or on DH. So we never get to do anything! ARGH.

AAM - We just got back from a shopping spree at BRU! I spent way too much money. I got a chocolate brown Baby Bjorn carrier, a JJ Cole Bundle Me for the carseat/stroller, an adorable baby book, 3 fleece footed pjs, 4 long sleeved adorable onesies, 2 plain white long sleeved onesies, an Odiri Natural Nurser bottle, and more breast pads. Not a bad haul, huh?

Other than that, it's been a stressful day of nursing and spitting up. I'm dealing with overactive letdown, I think, and it's causing me to feel a bit insecure and like I'm doing something wrong. Ugh. Any advice and or support is very much welcome.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM

^I have a forceful letdown too and it often chokes Ally Rae. She's gotten much better at handling it though. It just took some time. It'll get better. Look at it this way, you're making lots of milk which for a lot of first time moms is a big worry! One less thing for you to worry about!

Re: babywearing, Ally likes to stretch a lot more now so we've switched to a different hold where her legs are out. I also carry her MUCH higher than any pic I've seen of babywearing and it works really well for both of us. She's high enough that I can set my chin on the top of her head. When I'm just holding her, she likes to be up high on my shoulder/chest I think so her face can be against the skin on my chest when she sleeps. You might try adjusting your Moby's so the hold is a bit higher or maybe tighter so they feel more secure. I've noticed Ally Rae is more aware of when I'm putting her down and reaches for me and startles as though I were dropping her. GL mamas!

DTD: I wish we were doing this! Unfortunately, I'm too scared. And, DH doesn't get home early enough for us to do anything anyway since Ally Rae requires my attention to get her to sleep and then she's in bed with us since it takes until 11pm before she goes to sleep usually. Someday I suppose. (Mighty Mighty Bosstones anyone? hehe)

We had a normal night of sleep last night, thank goodness! She passed out very easily when we all went up to bed at about 10:45pm and slept until 3am and then it was about every hour that she wanted to eat. Very normal and totally doable. I'm stressing about being at my in-laws for all of next week and I think she was picking up on that and it stressed her out too so she didn't want to sleep the previous night. Hopefully I can keep myself calm so she'll stay calm.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:29 PM

DH has taken Charlotte for the next hour and given me an hour of uninterrupted me time (provided she doesn't need any boobie juice) and after I finish catching up on some e-mails I'm going to make some chocolate chip oatmeal cookies and I'm going to eat half the cookie dough because now that I'm not pregnant I can eat cookie dough again...soooooooo excited!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:07 PM

^I did that with white chocolate macadamia nut cookie dough the week after Ally Rae was born.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Holy Sleep Batman!!!!
:Yay for sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
Mamanurse-- such was the case w/ DD-- DH slept on the couch for the first 3 months of her life, but now I'm on the couch with DS so DH and DD can sleep. It's not just his comfort I'm attending to, and I am getting the hang of couch sleeping now.

I need to get a breast pump. Which one do you like? I had a Medela, but thought I was done having kids.
I hadn't thought of an older co-sleeper. Our dd1 sleeps in her own bed so we don't have to worry about that issue. I'm guessing eventually all y'all will be in the same nest then.

I have a pump in style and like it fine. I got it on clearance because they were discontinuing the brown and blue one :

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
^I have a forceful letdown too and it often chokes Ally Rae. She's gotten much better at handling it though. It just took some time. It'll get better. Look at it this way, you're making lots of milk which for a lot of first time moms is a big worry! One less thing for you to worry about
I've got a very "scary" letdown as well, but Hazel has gotten more and more used to it. I used to have to letdown out of her mouth when I started to feel it coming, but she can now take it like a champ most of the time.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 PM

N has problems with my letdown a good ammount of the time. I try to hand pump a 1/2 ounce or so first if I see her having issues, or let the toddler nurse. In a pinch warm soaks or washcloths can help.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 PM

Amber I sure hope you had a better day then I did....
after such a great stretch of night sleep....... my baby won't sleep more then 10-25mins at a time today and is ranging between fussy and screaming in apparent anger or something???? AHHHH! He's injured one of my nipples trying to nurse when he was cranky/lazy.... sigh

He's screamed soooooo much in the past couple of hrs that I just feel wasted, am sitting in front of the computer with lullabies blasting.. and him sleeping on my chest.... the only way he'll stay calm right now. If the lullabies get turned down or stop between songs he stirs..

DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

Old 11-20-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
He's screamed soooooo much in the past couple of hrs that I just feel wasted, am sitting in front of the computer with lullabies blasting.. and him sleeping on my chest.... the only way he'll stay calm right now. If the lullabies get turned down or stop between songs he stirs..
Nora did this last week - growth spurt. She was inconsolable even with lullabies. Good luck, mama.

I got a break tonight but now it's late and I'm beat. I went to the gym and food shopping by myself. DH said Nora did good with the bottle.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 AM

If it's a growth spurt it's unlike any I've seen.... since part of the time he doesn't even want to nurse.. just can't seem to stay asleep so he screams instead?

It's after 9pm and I've finally got him back in his bed but I'm not 'counting' on him staying there long... but I had to pee soooo badly lol that I just stuck him in there and he didn't immediately wake up lol so that's where he is for now.

User Tag List