Multicultural music for toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this, so feel free to move it mods!

I am looking for some different legitimate cultural Cd's to buy for my dd. I would love to get a library as many countries top artists, or most popular musicians. I have been listening to NPR and trying to pick up the ones that i can, but i just figured that you mamas might be able to help me out. So any names of Cd's or musician or phrases to search, or links would be highly appreciated! THANK YOU!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#2 of 22 Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Not sure about 'top artist' status, but I recommend Rita Ribeiro's Perolas Aos Povos. (Brazilian)
#3 of 22 Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Not sure about 'top artist' status, but I recommend Rita Ribeiro's Perolas Aos Povos. (Brazilian)
Cool thanks, added to my list!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#4 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 AM

A few:

Bob Marley - do a lyrics search for content
Fela Kuti
Nusrat Fateh Khan
The Gypsy Kings

I highly recommend the following site for finding more:

http://worldmusic.nationalgeographic.com/
#5 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 AM

The Putumayo World Music CD's are EXCELLENT for toddlers/children.
I highly recommend African Playground and Animal Playground, but they have a whole catalog of children's music.
www.putumayo.com

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#6 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
our library has a great choice of music. and i borrowed from there. and that gave me a clue of the kind of music my dd prefered. coz mostly her taste differed from mine. that's how i discovered she loved japanese opera. she liked mostly things with a beat and so balkan folk music she enjoyed.

i kinda didnt limit myself to children's CD.

our favourite is this putumayo CD. when we first got this CD we listened to this for days before we listened to anything else.

http://www.amazon.com/Putumayo-Prese.../dp/B00008JL85

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 11:59 AM

our library has a great choice of music. and i borrowed from there. and that gave me a clue of the kind of music my dd prefered. coz mostly her taste differed from mine. that's how i discovered she loved japanese opera. she liked mostly things with a beat and so balkan folk music she enjoyed.

our favourite is this putumayo CD. when we first got this CD we listened to this for days before we listened to anything else.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM

Another vote for the Putumayo CD... we have the Latin one and it's one of my faves. We have also purchased children's CDs in other countries which are nearly impossible to find online, and we've found DD enjoys folk music more than pop, and I'd need to check my CD collection to give you names if you're interested in quintessential Venezuelan folk music singers.

If you're interested in non-Children's CDs, we nabbed the Soweto Gospel choir from NPR a couple of years ago and it's awesome. Celia Cruz is IMO the gold standard for female Cuban salsa music. And I don't know if you'd consider this "legitimate", but my girl looooooves listening to Harry Belafonte, and he's such a cool person.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#9 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie i View Post
A few:

Bob Marley - do a lyrics search for content
Fela Kuti
Nusrat Fateh Khan
The Gypsy Kings

I highly recommend the following site for finding more:

http://worldmusic.nationalgeographic.com/
We have those thanks!
Great link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamsMama View Post
The Putumayo World Music CD's are EXCELLENT for toddlers/children.I highly recommend African Playground and Animal Playground, but they have a whole catalog of children's music.
www.putumayo.com
we have some, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

Well our library kinda sinks. There is not a very good selection of anything. But maybe i will go today and see what i can pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather8 View Post
Another vote for the Putumayo CD... we have the Latin one and it's one of my faves. We have also purchased children's CDs in other countries which are nearly impossible to find online, and we've found DD enjoys folk music more than pop, and I'd need to check my CD collection to give you names if you're interested in quintessential Venezuelan folk music singers.

If you're interested in non-Children's CDs, we nabbed the Soweto Gospel choir from NPR a couple of years ago and it's awesome. Celia Cruz is IMO the gold standard for female Cuban salsa music. And I don't know if you'd consider this "legitimate", but my girl looooooves listening to Harry Belafonte, and he's such a cool person.
Both have beed added! THanks!

#10 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I highly recommend African Playground and Animal Playground, but they have a whole catalog of children's music.
www.putumayo.com
OMG Carmen LOVES those!
#11 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
We have those Well our library kinda sinks. There is not a very good selection of anything. But maybe i will go today and see what i can pick up.
oh our little branch stinks too. so i would usually go down to the central or main branch and get the music. i liked doing it that way because i got a cross section into all world music.

also i would go online find the CDS or cassettes and put them on hold and have them deliver it to the branch i usually went to. i use that online hold a lot. in fact i do most of book reserves that way for myself. i go in for my dd.

#12 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 PM

Hi!!

I love love love Manu Chao. he sings in spanish, english, french and portugese. He used to be in a band called Mano Negra, very multicultural.
Ojos de Brujo is also very good, from Barcelona, flamenco-hip-hop
#13 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 PM

For great middle eastern rhythm, you just can't beat Hossam Ramzy. Great for dancing and grooving, especially is you're into bellydance at all.
#14 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
For great middle eastern rhythm, you just can't beat Hossam Ramzy. Great for dancing and grooving, especially is you're into bellydance at all.
Cool thanks! Would you say the "Best Of" would be my best bet?

#15 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
Cool thanks! Would you say the "Best Of" would be my best bet?
You really can't go wrong with any of them. I'd say whatever has the longest playing time is your best bet! But DH and I are huge fans of his.
#16 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 11:54 PM

One of my faves is Kashtin, an Innu group from Northern Canada. They've since disbanded, but the music is simply beautiful.

Also, I'm a big fan of polynesian music, it's lovely. Te Vaka from New Zealand has some great songs.

I just remembered too, Kumbia Kings is fun danceable music that might be fun for kids!

I'm also a fan of the Putumayo cds, and have looked for individual artists from the cds to augment my own collection.
#17 of 22 Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin View Post
Hi!!

I love love love Manu Chao. he sings in spanish, english, french and portugese. He used to be in a band called Mano Negra, very multicultural.
Ojos de Brujo is also very good, from Barcelona, flamenco-hip-hop
LOVE Manu Chao, I turned Me Gustas Tu into a Spanish body part identification song! DD loves it!
#18 of 22 Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
www.putumayo.com
: i love them!!! at one point, every night before bed was their Dreamland CD and santa is bringing African Dreamland for Christmas. i also like their stuff for adults. bob marley photo hangs on my bedroom wall, so it goes without saying that she knows Uncle Bob (as we'll come to call him) firsthand.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#19 of 22 Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mama Jama View Post
: i love them!!! at one point, every night before bed was their Dreamland CD and santa is bringing African Dreamland for Christmas. i also like their stuff for adults. bob marley photo hangs on my bedroom wall, so it goes without saying that she knows Uncle Bob (as we'll come to call him) firsthand.
The Asian and Celtic Dreamland cds are quite lovely as well!
#20 of 22 Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM

My daughter loves the Putumayo CD's in particular the "world playground"
We also have a couple of CDs from Jose Luis Orozco "Diez Deditos" and "De Colores", authentic Spanish and very easy to understand, not annoying!!
#21 of 22 Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 AM

Me Gustas Tu??? Me gustas marijuana, me gustas tu? Zoiks, mine repeats way too much for Manu Chao these days, LOL. My DD does not really catch Manu Negra- too "hard", I guess, though I love it.

I find that NPR has really great stuff on Saturday nights and I get a lot from that. They also have some African rhythms stuff, with African DJs, not to mention their weekend afternoon Celtic stuff.

My daughter also loves Bollywood, all things Bollywood, anything Bollywood... I'm not into it too much (no time for films, wish I did!) but she loves catching it on YouTube.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#22 of 22 Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 AM

Yeah I guess I'd forgotten that part of Me Gustas Tu....ooops!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page