What do you do to maintain your "other" culture? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-24-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Straight up disclaimer: I'm starting some vague research for writing an article about multi-culti families living in the US (and possibly abroad). I don't really have a set direction for the thing yet, just an idea that I want to include ways to keep the "other" culture alive in an increasingly hostile US. So, if you have children with a partner from a whole 'nother culture, what do you do to keep that culture alive in the face of American homogeneity? We:
*try to speak Turkish as much as possible and DD and I attend weekly Turkish lessons
*stay active in our local Turkish center
*have a full-on Turkish breakfast every Sunday
*watch children's DVDs in Turkish
*wear something every day that identifies us as Turkish (nazar boncuğu)
*celebrate Turkish/Muslim holidays
*cook Turkish foods, as much as ingredients are available
*seek out opportunites to discuss Turkish culture with others
*keep up with Turkish news online

What other ways can you think of to keep up with the other culture?
#2 of 2 Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I speak the "other" language (Finnish) to my kids every day. I have brought over hundreds of children's books in Finnish, we watch DVDs in Finnish, we meet other Finns in the area (which is just one family, there are not many Finnish people here). During Christmastime we make Finnish foods and celebrate Christmas both the Finnish and the American way. We also visit Finland every other year for a month or two to keep the language alive. In our case I think BOOKS have been the most effective thing.

My daughter asked today if she could learn to read in Finnish and I was very delighted and said yes, of course, I'll teach you. She's 6 and just learned to read in English.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page