There seem to be quite a few... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-27-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There seem to be quite a few families here made up of white mamas and korean hubbys? I'm just thrilled because usually the korean families we've stumbled on over the years are white hubbys and korean mamas, so I've felt a tad out of place...and there are virtually NO multi racial asian families where we live whatsoever. Period. Nada. Zilch! Maybe it's just what I've seen here in midwesternville, but it seems more uncommon, I have no idea why though?

Out of curiosity are any of your korean hubby's adopted? My hubby was adopted from SK when he was about 8, so he remembers Korea vividly, although he lost the language. At the same time, the culture/religion/etc is still a huge part of his identity so we incorporate it into our family pretty regularly. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with that? We desperately want the girls to learn to speak Korean, but there's no one in the area who tutors...argh! Any suggestions?

Anywhoo, just wanted to say how glad I am that we all have a place to connect! :

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#2 of 5 Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 AM

Hi there, bellevuemama! I'm white, and my dh is Korean. He immigrated to the U.S. with his family when he was 12.

I, too, find that most of the time when I meet a mixed Asian couple, it's usually the woman who is Korean or Asian, and the man is white or another race. I've always thought of trying to start a social group in my area for non-Asian women married to Asian men. It's a unique mixture with unique issues, in my opinion. I started a couple of online groups looking for local women who are like me at myspace and facebook, but haven't really gotten any bites. But I figure it'll take awhile.

Anyway, nice to meetcha.
#3 of 5 Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I totally agree! I've noticed the same things, wonder why that is???

Anywhoo...I'm on facebook, would you let me join your group? You can PM me if you don't want to post for the masses

Glad to meet ya!

#4 of 5 Old 12-03-2008, 01:49 AM

Bellevue -- my local group probably wouldn't be exciting cause it's not very active and only has like two members. We probably don't live in the same area, although it would ROCK if we did!!!! Wouldn't it? :

Anyway, I do have another group that's a private one for non-Korean women married to Korean men. I will send you that link if you like? I'll pm you. I started that group about 8 or 9 years ago, and it's got 25 members, and lots and lots of discussions. And good archives. The women are from all over the world, so it's not a "local" group. Some live in the U.S., and some live in Korea. They're all actually non-Asian women who are married to KOrean men, though.

Here's a couple of other groups that I'm a member of:
On Facebook, I joined 'Western Girls Married To Korean Guys'. This is a public group, though, so people don't really post really personal things, since on facebook you usually use your real name. Also on Facebook, there is 'Kimchi Mamas and Papas'. You should check that out.

In fact, the main site of 'Kimchi Mamas' is better - it's a blog written by different women who are in Asian Intercultural relationships, or who are Hapa themselves, or KOrean themselves, or married to Koreans. Lots of essays on there to read, and comments. That one is public, so people use screen names. If you go to the Facebook 'Kimchi Mamas and Papas' group, you'll find a link to the main 'Kimchi Mama' site.

Hope that helps.
#5 of 5 Old 12-03-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU!!!!

:

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page