Hair product recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mommas!

I am looking for some good products for my daughter's hair. We are an african-american family and I am looking for alternatives to the black haircare products you see in the stores like walmart and target. Most of the those products have a lot of chemicals that I want to avoid since she is only 18 months old. Right now she really needs something with moisturizing and detangling properties. I also want to avoid strong scents. Can you recommend any really good products?

I am not sure if this the place to post this question. Feel free to move this question to a more appropriate place.

Thanks.

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
#2 of 16 Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 PM

I love Taliah Waajid's products, they are all natural and inexpensive. The only negative is that the black earth shampoo is not tear free. I have to wash my DS's hair at the sink so that he is lying back to avoid suds in his eyes. We have never had any problems. Carol's daughter makes a line of haircare products, that are available at Sephora. I prefer Taliah Waajid since she is local and a smaller company.

After inquiring about detanglers at Whole Foods, a sales guy told me that they were more for hair like that of the children on the bottles. None of them were brown, so I sought out other products. My DS has thick curly hair, but the protective mist bodifier works so well that I simply finger comb his hair in the morning.

http://www.naturalhair.org/bodifierbabybundle.aspx

http://www.naturalhair.org/enhancing...tioner8oz.aspx

http://www.naturalhair.org/totalbody...hampoo8oz.aspx

+ + =
#3 of 16 Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM

#4 of 16 Old 11-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Has anyone tried Mixed Chick hair products? Just wondering how well it works before I place an order.

gerlassie
#5 of 16 Old 12-08-2008, 04:05 AM

Burt's Bees Avocado Butter used as a leave-in styling aid rather than it's directions (as pre shampoo) works wonders for my difficult curls.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#6 of 16 Old 12-08-2008, 12:53 PM

I've used Curlz Kids shampoo, coconut conditioner, and milkshake with good results...however, lately, we've been all about olive oil, coconut oil, or Burt's Bees apricot Baby oil or Mama oil. (The BBs because it smells soooo good!) They all detangle quite well and leave DD's hair shiny and soft. I do use quite a lot, perhaps a good 2 tablespoons worth when I do her hair every other day. They are also cheaper than the other stuff and obviously all natural. (Again, the BBs is only 98.5% all natural but anyway...)
I think it depends on your DD's hair type, too. Mine girl's is very fine, very knotty, and tight curls in the back, and thicker and kinky on the top. If I don't braid her hair right after we wash it, she wakes up with a bird's nest that takes a good half hour to comb out, even with the oils. Same if I don't "do" her hair and let it go all natural for a day.
#7 of 16 Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
For moisterizing, you can't beat jojoba oil. It actually penetrates the hair shaft. I see my stylist maybe 4 times a year to have my otherwise natural hair flat ironed. It is a little past my shoulders. She never has to do a deep conditioning because my hair is adequately moisturized by the jojoba oil. And it leaves no residue. You can get it at Whole Foods or your local health food store. Relatively inexpensive and long lasting.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#8 of 16 Old 12-08-2008, 05:05 PM

I'd like to second Oyinhandmade.com. I've used a couple of their products and found them to be very good.
I also make my own which is fun and cost effective. As mentioned above, jojoba oil is great. Olive oil is wonder as well. You can also mix shea butter into either of these fixed oils for an even richer moisturizer/conditioner.
Good luck.

afro.jpg
#9 of 16 Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 AM

I use Carol's Daughter myself. Their Mimosa Hair Honey and Tui Oil are my two favorites. So I like those. I also like Warm Spirit Anahita's Hair Butter.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#10 of 16 Old 12-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Hi,
I give thumbs up to oyinhandmade.com
I am not sure where you are, but if you are in the UK you can check out Anita Grant. Her stuff if good and homemade as well.

Also, Jojoba oil is great for moisturing.

I will also PM with some other info.
#11 of 16 Old 12-18-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Burt's Bees Avocado Butter used as a leave-in styling aid rather than it's directions (as pre shampoo) works wonders for my difficult curls.
So this doesn't leave any residue behind? Asking for myself. To the OP, another vot for jojoba oil. I also like using pure shea butter.
#12 of 16 Old 12-18-2008, 04:09 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#13 of 16 Old 12-19-2008, 11:09 PM

There is a website called naturallycurly.com that has recomendations for natural products, salons, etc for naturally curly hair. I have found it very helpful. I have curly as do my three daughters.
Lisa
#14 of 16 Old 12-19-2008, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will definitely try some of the suggestions mentioned here. Does anyone have any specific shampoos or conditioners that they use in addition to the moisturizers? TIA.

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
#15 of 16 Old 12-20-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopie2001 View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. I will definitely try some of the suggestions mentioned here. Does anyone have any specific shampoos or conditioners that they use in addition to the moisturizers? TIA.
Now that, I have problems with. I;m still waiting for the perfect shampoo and conditioner combo. I do love Giovanni direct leave-in conditioner, though. That's good stuff!
#16 of 16 Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
So this doesn't leave any residue behind? Asking for myself. To the OP, another vot for jojoba oil. I also like using pure shea butter.
(Sorry I just now saw that you replied )

Nope! At least not for me. But I have super absorbent hair I guess. I'm sure it would if I put too much on so just experiment with the amount.

Also when I wash my hair after using it for styling it's so nice and soft.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page