http://www.fwcc.org/mongolianspot.htm

for intuitive readings click here :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have three children, who all had mongolian spots. My son and second daughter had very light spots, barely noticable, near the sacrum. But my first daughter had the most noticable spots, a strip across her lower back, and a deep blue spot at her sacrum.

All of them have faded except for my first daughters blue spot.

Jyotsna

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 AM

my dd had about six of them. and they faded out over time, but there was one really cute one on her butt. i hope that one hasn't disappeared. haven't really noticed since i'm not changing diapers as often. (mental note to self: check tomorrow )

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 12-07-2008, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
EdnaMarie thank you, I didn't think of looking at the article on birthmarks in Wikipedia .... actually, they describe something else as "café au lait spots" which could be more like what my kids have .... (since their's don't really have the "buise-like" type of coloring)
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 AM

My oldest DD had one when she was a baby. I had no clue what it was and thought it was a bruise, but couldn't figure out how my baby's butt got bruised. When I took her in for a check up her Ped told me it was a Mongolia Spot. She was pretty surprised to see one on a white baby, she's 1 in this pic. hehehe But after asking about my husbands and I's family background, she decided that it was probably because we both have a good bit of native American Indian in us. She's 8 now and it's gone. Oh and hers was pretty dark and bluish.

Now since I've heard more stories about this, I'm thankful that her ped thought of a Mongolia Spot and not abuse.

senior majikfaerie cult member
Old 12-08-2008, 05:02 AM

I had one so I expected all my kiddos to but only my youngest did and still has a bit of one at 19 months.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 PM

My son has one on the back of his neck and one on his arm. I asked his ped to make a note of them on his medical records (thinking of the stories I've heard about people thinking they were abused) but she said it wasn't an issue and they are so common that medical personnel are familiar with them.

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 PM

Yep, my two half native/latino babies had them right above their crack. They are three now, and one still has a bit of one. My mom thought they were bruises from sitting in their car seats and when I tried to explain she looked at me in disbelief and shock. I guess when the "bruises" never went away she finally believed me.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:46 PM

My youngest dd has several. She is 4, we adopted her from China when she was almost 2.

She has a big, faint shadowy one on her buttocks, and a dark, dark blue one on her shoulder. That one looks like a thumbprint. I was expecting the Mongolian spots on her bottom, but I was very angry over the one on her shoulder - I thought that she had gotten hurt by someone at the orphanage before we met. The ones on her bottom are almost gone, but the one on her shoulder is still there and has only faded a bit.

Our doctor has documented them in her file, and we were sure to tell her preschool about them.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My sis had a baby yesterday and we immediately noticed one on her LO's earlobe. She is pale white but her baby's father is of Mexican decent. Never heard of them being on ears though!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 AM

DD who is AA/White had three mongolian spots, she is 16 mo now and they have faded. She had one on her bum and two on the back of her head. We did have the Ped document the ones on the back of her head because they did look like bruises.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 AM

My baby does. I am a white american with a little bit of indian in me. Dh is german. I thought a nurse abused my lo when I first saw it I had never heard of a mongolian spot before. My doc and mw were also very surprised to see the spot on a white baby
Old 12-11-2008, 11:16 AM

both my nieces (from different sisters) have mongolian spots. my one niece is irish and german. my other niece's father is 100% puerto rican. it is shocking the first few times you see it - we kept thinking she had hurt herself.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:08 PM

dd got her shortly after birth on her buttocks and lower back and they faded around 4-5 months. her dad is middle eastern hence the pediatrician caught right on. neither of us had a clue at first and were worried as being accused of child abuse!

single mama to DD 5.09
Old 12-12-2008, 09:51 PM

All 3 of my bio kids have Mongolian spots. They are all half-Chinese, with southern Chinese heritage.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:37 PM

My kids are half Taiwanese, half Korean. They both have mongolian spots. My oldest also has a little dimple above his butt crack too Meowee. He's kind of hairy all around though, I haven't checked the dimple specificially to see if it is hairy or not.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Ooooh that was always a huge fear of mine! DS's spots really did look like bruises, I never let anyone see his back. My baby's spot is a little raised and fuzzy so obviously not a bruise.
yea it was pretty scarey..he was like "I see some unusual bruising on his back and bottom."

I was like "Those are mongolian spots. Alot of babies of color have them, my son is not being abused."
At that point he just said okay and said he'd be in with the doctor. I was SO ready to put up a fight if I had to!

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

Old 12-15-2008, 12:04 PM

I had a "true Mongolian spot" on my bum when I was born (I'm half Viet with some known Mongolian heritage), and my DD (1/4 Asian) also has one little spot on her left cheek. I don't know if hers will stay, but here's what mine evolved into (don't mind the fresh tattoo)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...too1dayold.jpg

This spot runs in our family...everyone has one on the back, leg or butt to some degree.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
I had a "true Mongolian spot" on my bum when I was born (I'm half Viet with some known Mongolian heritage), and my DD (1/4 Asian) also has one little spot on her left cheek. I don't know if hers will stay, but here's what mine evolved into (don't mind the fresh tattoo)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...too1dayold.jpg

This spot runs in our family...everyone has one on the back, leg or butt to some degree.
Hi there - thanks for the photo- that is not what my nieces' spots look like. They look much more like a bruise. to me , your's doesn't. however, my daughter has atiny patch of a birthmark on her upper back leg that looks like yours. And now I wonder if that's a mongolian spot. I guess it doesn't really matter, it's just interesting to me. my dd is blond haired and blue eyed. is there some definitive way of determining a mongolian spot, vs. other birthmarks?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Yes. Mongolian spots look like bruises. The one in her photo is a cafe au lait mark.

http://www.birthmarks.com/HTMLArticle.cfm?Article=231

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 PM

My Arab/American daughter has one. Right in between her hiney cheeks and a little on her back. She is almost 10 months and still has it!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 PM

I had one when i was a baby, but with no mixed ethnicity that i know of (but it sure would be cool if i did!)

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 PM

DD has a mongolian blue spot at the base of her spine. She's 17 months now... and so far, it hasn't faded at all. To be honest, I'll sort of miss her little blue butt when it fades.

DS1 and DS2 do not have them, though.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 12-28-2008, 06:58 AM

They don't always fade away...I'm 39 and still have my mongolian spot on my left butt cheek. It's about the size of a quarter and hasn't faded much in color. DS1 has one on the same spot as me, DS2 doesn't have one. I'm half Japanese, DH is half Filipino. DH never had one.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:39 PM

My ds has one. He is two and half mexican.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 PM

My DS had a faint one when born and lasted several months and faded. Our best friend's daughter had a MUCH darker and bigger one and hers lasted until ~3. Their daughter and our son are both B/W, she is a tad darker than my DS.

Carly, mama to DS C (5th grade), DD Miss M (07/09, fostered 1/10, adopted 08/10), and Little Miss C (11/10, fostered 01/11, adopted 11/12). Foster Son, Mr. A, age 11 placed 10/13.
My angel babies , ~01/08~ (twins), ~09/08~, and ~01/09~.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 AM

Yes, my son has several on his hips/buttocks & sacrum. They also look like deep bruises and are well documented so no one ever mistakes them for signs of abuse.

He is half Mexican and has a medium brown complexion.

He is 3 1/2 and they have faded but are still noticeable. I was told they would be gone by the age of three, but that is not the case.

And I see that it has been well covered that what is described in OP (Hairy, raised, and a sacral dimple) is a sign of spina bifida occulta and needs to be evaluated by a doctor. This isn't the same as a Mongolian spot. Likely everything will be normal, but it is good to get it checked out!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:07 PM

I'm American. (Half Japanise, a quarter German and a quarter Hungarian.)

DH is Italian.

DD, who resembles DH more than me, still has her Mongolian spot and it's the same as it was when she was born and she is 22 months. It's sort of an asymmetric splotch on the base of her spine leaning toward her left butt cheek, right below her cute little butt dimples.

-- Miss 1928 -- and Opera Singing Mamma to Eloisa -- 12 Feb 2007
-- Wife to a Wonderful Husband and Pianist -- 27 March 2003
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 PM

I come from a large family, we are all of polynesian(Maori &/or Samoan &/or Cook Islands) descent mixed with European. All (100%) of the babies in my generation have had the mongolian spots, there are 24 of us (first cousins). My Mother's generation have all had them, she has 7 siblings. I noticed that wikipedia does not mention Polynesians as one of the races known to have them. And it is prevalent with our people too, whether Samoan, Tongan, Cook Island, Tahitian or Maori.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:01 PM

My godson is AA and has them on his little butt cheeks. He just turned four and I believe they are still there.

User Tag List