does anyone's baby have mongolian spots? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 104 Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All my 3 kids had some. DD's are fading now, and DS2 still has his because he's less than 1 yr old.

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#92 of 104 Old 01-20-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
I had one when i was a baby, but with no mixed ethnicity that i know of (but it sure would be cool if i did!)
If your family is from N. Texas, there's a good chance you have some Indian in you.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#93 of 104 Old 07-12-2009, 06:12 AM

My only child, a little girl who is 8 1/2 years old now, is named Rae. She is half AA, half caucasian (me). I have always known what her little bruise/birthmark spot is just above her bumbum (tailbone area), so I have never worried. I did, however, think it would be gone after almost 9 years! I was told when she was born that the mongolian mark would most likely fade by the age of 5. Like some other moms that have posted, I also think it is cute!!! Call me crazy!
#94 of 104 Old 07-12-2009, 03:48 PM

Woops double post

Not all those who wander are lost 
#95 of 104 Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
A few of my children including my 5 m.o. have/ had mongolian spots-- bruise-colored spots at the base of the back ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_spot ). I was told by a pediatrician that these are very common in babies of mixed race, east asian babies, and native american babies.

DD's spot is a little hairy and what's weird is I just noticed it... at 5 months!! She also has a sacral dimple right below it (like a fissure in the skin at the base of her spine) as did my DS. I don't know if it's related to the spots.

If your children did have mongolian spots, when did they go away?
My son is the very same meowee. They even did a U/S of his dimple when he was in the NICU.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#96 of 104 Old 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Ds (7 months) has a large mongolian spot that is square in shape and spans from his spine over to his arm on his upper back. It extends further, down the back of his left arm and even has light traces down to his wrist. The square on his back is about 4x4inches (quite large to be on a 7 month old!). The first to actually notice this was my lactation consultant in the hosp after ds was born. None of the doctor or nurses even noticed it during or after delivery! The lactation consultant was undressing him down to his diaper so I could have skin to skin contact with him while BFing and just said, "oh. he has a mongolian spot." To which I said, "uhhh, what is that exactly?".

I had my ped make official note of the size and location of the spot so no one can make the mistake of assuming it's a bruise. I'd suggest everyone else who has a child with one of these do the same to avoid the hassle of a CPS investigation.

I talked with my ped about concerns of medical issues that can be indicated by mongolian spots. I already knew other types of birthmarks could indicate problems but knew nothing about ds's sort of markings. After doing some research my ped found that in some cases, a larger than normal, oddly placed, mongolian spot such as ds's *could* perhaps come along with a metabolic disorder so we are currently in the middle of some lab testing to rule that out. He said it's rare but, possible so he's covering that angle just in case.

Ds is 1/4 mexican, 1/8 native american, and the rest is white. The only other fam member I know of that had a mongolian spot is my neice (who is 3/4 mexican, 1/8 native, and 1/8 white). Hers was in the typical spot at the base of her spine and fairly small. Most of it has faded away or nearly blends with her skin color at this point (she is 7). Ds is pretty light complected so I don't imagine his will ever "blend in".

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#97 of 104 Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 PM

Thanks so much for posting this thread & the many, many replies about documenting. Our pedi pointed out the mongolian spots on DS's back at the base of his spine (we hadn't yet seen his back, really) - we didn't know that they existed. It hadn't occurred to me to photo document the mongolian spots in his medical file, but now I'm very anxious to have that done before I leave DS with any childcare facility where they might change his diaper. I have showed them to my mother (she & I are caucasian - husband is of japanese descent) & explained what they are in advance before any questions arose, but at some point, someone is bound to ask/challenge me on it. I think I'll call the pedi right now and make sure there is some mention of it in his file & I'll bring photos to his next appt for inclusion in his file. Thanks so much for the suggestion. His mongolian spot is huge & blue and does look pretty bad. And if I didn't know they existed, how many other people don't either? If I had seen his spot on another child, I definitely would have started jumping to conclusions prior to learning about them.
#98 of 104 Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 PM

My daughter (half Mexican) has a very small one.
#99 of 104 Old 07-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Yeah, I had a friend who freaked out when she saw DS2's back. He had hurt himself at the playscape and I lifted up his shirt to take a look. She said, "OMG, M he has a HUGE bruise on his back." It took me a moment to register that she was referring to his mongolian spot. DS2's mongolian spot is HUGE, it covers the upper half of his butt cheeks all the way up the lower part of his back. He'll be four soon and they show no sign of going away anytime soon. DS1 had some on his butt cheeks, but that was it and I haven't checked to see if they are still there are not, he's 5.5 yrs old. Anyway, I told my friend, "Oh, those aren't bruises, they're mongolian spots" and it automatically registered with her. She's a social worker, so I am sure she is well aware of mongolian spots and how ppl mistake them for bruises. However, before her reaction, I guess I had never thought about how alarming it could be for ppl to see a big bluish/greenish spot like that an the first thing they think is bruise, not mongolian spot. DH and I are both of east asian descent, so it's not surprise that our kids have mongolian spots. I do remember dealing with a medical resident though when i was in nursing school who had NO clue what mongolian spots were, which I thought was pretty pitiful for this day in age..., it was only 10 yrs ago.
#100 of 104 Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Our baby has two little ones, and are quite light and terribly cute. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't wash off then we figured out what it was.
We're Central European so you've got a nice background of various Turkic influence genetically most probably.
We're very Caucasian looking but we do have a nice history of the lovely epicanthic fold in our family which I didn't inherit I always wanted those lovely epicanthic fold! I don't know who else has an mongolian spots in our family but this has piqued my interest.
#101 of 104 Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 PM

My oldest son had one, but it faded before he was a year old. My younger three didn't have one. They're 3/4 Japanese, 1/4 assorted Northern European.
#102 of 104 Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 AM

My DS is 6.5 and his are almost completely gone. You have to really strain to see them, and be in really good light. When he was a baby, it looked like the whole bottom part of his back was bruised. My MW is the one who told me what they were, because I had no idea. DH is Mexican-American and I am glaringly Caucasian (Irish-German descent) so I was unprepared for Mongolian spots. My XDH, father of my older three kids, is white like me, Scottish-American descent, so our kids had "stork-bites" and "angel-kisses," but no bruise-colored spots.

My DD who is almost 4 is considerably darker than DS, but she did not have Mongolian spots, nor did Lil'Man. The baby is pretty fair, though, with dark red hair and hazel eyes, not Latino-looking at all (though his daddy is the same).

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#103 of 104 Old 07-17-2009, 05:01 AM

MY little girl still has them faintly, but they were very obvious when she was born. Her father is a very dark mexican (almost looks black) and I am very white (with a little bit of native american). They were very blue and now are finally fading. Yes, its kinda scary how people that don't know any better can confuse them with bruises from child abuse.

Fiance to Gaudencio and mother to baby Jenssy (4/17/09)
#104 of 104 Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 PM

DS has it, and i didn't know what it was at first either! my mom was the one who told me about it - apparently i and my siblings had it, too (we're black & white).

Lisa mama to Adrian born 3/09 by unnecessarean
#2 is coming in May 2011! planning for a home vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page