does anyone's baby have mongolian spots? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 104 Old 11-30-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few of my children including my 5 m.o. have/ had mongolian spots-- bruise-colored spots at the base of the back ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_spot ). I was told by a pediatrician that these are very common in babies of mixed race, east asian babies, and native american babies.

DD's spot is a little hairy and what's weird is I just noticed it... at 5 months!! She also has a sacral dimple right below it (like a fissure in the skin at the base of her spine) as did my DS. I don't know if it's related to the spots.

If your children did have mongolian spots, when did they go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 104 Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM

My son , Kylin had them.He is AA. I remember taking him to the er for an ear infection and a medical student thought those were BRUISING from abuse...!!...Doctor did come in and correct him AFTER I corrected him.
I can't remember if Aja had them , she is 1/4 caucasian.

Bryson is biracial and is pretty fair..he doesn't have any.

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#3 of 104 Old 11-30-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momz3 View Post
My son , Kylin had them.He is AA. I remember taking him to the er for an ear infection and a medical student thought those were BRUISING from abuse...!!...
Ooooh that was always a huge fear of mine! DS's spots really did look like bruises, I never let anyone see his back. My baby's spot is a little raised and fuzzy so obviously not a bruise.
#4 of 104 Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 PM

my son (half tibetan) was born with a large one on his bum. he is only 8mo so don't know when it's going away, although i will say i kinda like it (is that weird??) and it was one of the first things we looked for to see if he had when he was born.

doctors around here are used to everything so we've never had any problem like PP describe. when he started daycare they asked about any "identifying marks" and i told them about the mongolian birthmark just as a precaution.
#5 of 104 Old 11-30-2008, 07:30 PM

my 3 year old has one on his back. he was a few months old when i first noticed it, too. all 3 of our nephews on my husbands side have them as well. i made sure to mention it to my dr and have her make a note in his records since it really does look like a bruise on his back.

eta: sorry, i just realized this is in the multicultural forum.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#6 of 104 Old 11-30-2008, 07:49 PM

my son had one until about 2 years old.
#7 of 104 Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
my dd is 6 and hers you can barely see now. but it is still there - v. v. faint.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 104 Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 PM

My ds2 has 2 on his little tush. One isn't very noticable but the other looks like a faded bruise. I'm part Native American and my ex was 100% white. Apparently 100% European descent babies get them about 10% of the time but most of that 10% is from mediterranian descent, which ex doesn't have. For Native American babies it's supposed to be around 90% of the time so odds are he got them from me. My ds1 didn't have one though and he's the one that looks more native.

ETA, my ds2 is 2 1/2 and they're still there.
#9 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
my 3 year old has one on his back. he was a few months old when i first noticed it, too. all 3 of our nephews on my husbands side have them as well. i made sure to mention it to my dr and have her make a note in his records since it really does look like a bruise on his back.

eta: sorry, i just realized this is in the multicultural forum.
That's really interesting, I wonder if they have asian or NA ancestry they're not aware of.
#10 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 12:20 PM

DD has them on her butt, 3 of them. (DH is Japanese.) They DO look exactly like bruises! In fact, when she was born her doc took pictures of them and put them in her file just in case anyone ever thinks they are bruises. I think they are cute.

She’s 3.5 and they show no signs of fading, the doc said sometimes they go away by adulthood and sometimes they don’t.

"Mama, thank you for my little brother!" DD 7/05 DS 6/09
#11 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM

My dd is fully AA and born with one on her butt and on her shoulder. She's 8 now and they are completely gone. I read about them in Dr. Sears book so I knew the shoulder one was a spot, but lol, I thought the one on her butt was from the dye stuff they put on the umbilical cord to dry it up! It was exactly the same color. It was so funny when I was in the hospital trying to wipe it off.
#12 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 03:32 PM

My ds had 2, one on his butt and one at the corner of his eye/bridge of his nose. The one on his nose faded and finally went away at about 2, but the one on his butt went away at about 1.

I was always afraid someone would think I beat him, too. It's surprising how many people haven't heard of them.

for intuitive readings click here :
#13 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 04:09 PM

We are not a multicultural family (husband and I both identify as white), but do have Native American ancestry. My daughter had a great big, black and blue Mongolian spot right at the base of her spine. She's 7 now and it went away, or at least faded a lot, between 3 and 5, IIRC. I had her pediatrician put it in her notes that she had that birthmark (easy, peasy since she examined her as a newborn, too) and I made sure to mention it to any babysitter or daycare provider (at least the director and main teacher) so that they knew to expect seeing it during a diaper change. I also had the fear that we'd be accused of abuse, so the mentioning it ahead of time and making sure that it was "recorded" was basically a CYA.
#14 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM

My little girl (Vietnamese) has a mongolian spot right on her rear end. She's had it since she was adopted (4 months old) and it's still there (she's 22 months old). Her ped just noted it in her chart in case she ever went to school or had someone that questioned whether it was a bruise or not.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#15 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Izabear does! I'm glad we aren't the only ones! When she was born I was snuggling her close and rubbing her adorable nakee-butt, then with horror I realized her entire rear end and almost up to her shoulders was bruised! Thankfully our pediatrician walked in right around then, calmed me (and DH) down, and explained it was these mongolian birthmarks and not actually a bruise. He said they would continue shrinking throughout infancy and should be gone into childhood. She is 7 months now and it has gone down to a quarter sized bruise looking spot around her tailbone. I'm guessing it will continue to get smaller as she gets older, we aren't too concerned anymore...but at least we know what to expect! LOLOL

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#16 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for clueing me in to what they're called! Yes, DD had one at birth, and then for a while after, but I no longer notice it- perphaps it went away or it's still there but covered by her chunky donka-donk.

She also has a huge California-shaped tan birthmark on her right shin, and one of those red, vessel-looking marks (strawberry-marks) at the base of her neck.

My pedi also said skin markings are common in mixed-breeds and they only worry if there are an excessive amount because that would indicate a genetic disorder.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#17 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
also the placement of those at certain places do mean something is up. esp. if it changes. i vaguely recall reading about a mark at the base of the spine (dont remember what the mark should be) means something could possibly be wrong. my dd has a birthmark at the end of her spine - but its just a birthmark.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#18 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 06:38 PM

We do not consider our family multi-cultural but our first son has a mongolian spot. The mws asked us about ancestry but nothing related that we know of. We always consider it our little family mystery.
#19 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 06:40 PM

My younger 3 are half-Hispanic, and the oldest of them had a large, dark blue spot that spread across the lower back. It looked like a distinct bruise. Luckily I knew what it was, but I was afraid other people wouldn't! He is 5 yrs, 8 months now and it's almost faded completely away.

My other two "hispa-casians" do not have them. The youngest, in fact, is so fair-skinned and light-eyed that he doesn't appear to be biracial at all.

Oddly enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
She also has a sacral dimple right below it (like a fissure in the skin at the base of her spine) as did my DS. I don't know if it's related to the spots.
All I can say is, I never thought about it, but it must be. My son also has a dimple just below the mongolian spot. I always thought it was just some odd little thing, but maybe it is related in some way! (It could be just a wildly improbable coincidence, too... )

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#20 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 PM

My daughter’s father is South Asian and I am biracial, so she got the double whammy. Her entire bum is covered and there are smaller ones on her shoulder and shin. When I first saw them I kept asking the nurses “What did you do to my baby.” After they calmed me down a bit they explained it was common in biracial babies.
#21 of 104 Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 PM

ds is 3/4 caucasian, 1/4 AA and he has a big one near the waistband of his diaper and a little one on his thigh with a matching light spot the same size on his right butt cheek (I call those his "yin and yang spots") and a light streak on his forehead.

I spilled a bit of soup on his forehead when he was a teeny tiny and FREAKED when I noticed the birthmark because I thought I'd burned him and scarred him for life!
#22 of 104 Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 AM

My niece had one on her rear. It was very large when she was born.

afro.jpg
#23 of 104 Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
dd1 had one at the base of her spine, it faded somewhere around 15-18 months. my little ones are 3/4 caucasian, 1/4 korean.

nak.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#24 of 104 Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 AM

My daughter (AA) has them all over the backs of her upper thighs. She has an area of lighter pigmentation about 2 inches across on the front of one of her thighs as well.

Do they tend to fade with age? I haven't thought about it much, but the marks may bother her when she is older and wearing a bathing suit.

L.
#25 of 104 Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 AM

Yeah, they fade w/ age.

My husband in HK-Chinese and my kids both had spots on their bottoms. I think they were gone by the time they were 3 or so.

My m-i-l had a funny story about the spots, I don't know where she heard it. The story is that souls who are reluctant to be reincarnated "get a kick in butt", and the the number and size of the spots show how much "encouragement" they needed to be reborn.
#26 of 104 Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 AM

My son had Mongolian spots at birth. Most of them are gone now - he's almost 3 years old. He still has one on his bum.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#27 of 104 Old 12-02-2008, 04:01 AM

My son has one on his back. I didn't realize they were called that. He is now 2 years old and it hasn't faded away yet. I find it really cute.
#28 of 104 Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 AM

My daughter is 1/2 South Asian and had a large one just above her tush. She is 4yo and it is very faded now, though it is still visible if you know it is there...I sort of miss it. She also has a stork bite on the back of her neck, as do I, so do not expect that to fade...

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#29 of 104 Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 PM

DS (who is 1/2 Lebanese) has one on his butt and one on his shoulder. The pediatrician who saw him the day after birth was quick to tell us what it was and reassure us it was not a bruise.

Neither one has faded or shrunk yet; he's 2.5.
#30 of 104 Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post
Yeah, they fade w/ age.

My husband in HK-Chinese and my kids both had spots on their bottoms. I think they were gone by the time they were 3 or so.

My m-i-l had a funny story about the spots, I don't know where she heard it. The story is that souls who are reluctant to be reincarnated "get a kick in butt", and the the number and size of the spots show how much "encouragement" they needed to be reborn.
I like that story and it fits with my son! I think he was reluctant to be born, but I think it's b/c he loved being in my belly so much. He is 16 months and they haven't faded. His are all on his bottom. There are a couple small, darker spots and one larger, lighter spot. My DD doesn't have any of these spots though. Oh, DS also has a sacral dimple. FTR, kids are biracial (black/white)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page