If you celebrate Christmas, what do you eat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's Christmas cookie baking time, so I was inspired to ask what everyone who is celebrating Christmas is preparing.

My mom always made many different kinds of Christmas cookies. Most of them involve a flour-butter-egg-almond meal mixture. With some you add cocoa, some you add vanilla, some you put jam in the middle. I've only made one batch so far, I'm hoping to make more this week. I get all my recipes from a Czech cookbook from the 1920, it's wonderfully oldschool.

In my culture (Czech), we eat dinner on the 24th. It's traditional to eat carp (usually breaded and fried). The meal starts with fish soup, then I make escargots (snails) if I can find the snail meat, if I can't I make it with tripe or chicken stomachs, then we have the main course which is the fish with potato salad (and each family has their own version and swears it's the best ). For desert we have apple strudl, I make the dough myself, I roll it out as thin as I can.

Then on the 25th it's traditional to cook a turkey, but my MIL usually does something smaller, like a duck or even chicken. And then it's leftover galore!

Let's share or menus and preparations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 PM

Christmas we eat mostly western-style food:

Appetizers
*hummous
*smoked salmon
*cheese
*crackers
*nuts

Main meal
*turkey
*stuffing
*mashed potatoes
*green beans or broccoli w/ olive oil & garlic
* yams

Dessert
*Pumpkin pie
* Ice cream cake
*Christmas cookies (home-made - usually variations on sugar cookie dough used w/ cookie cutters or a cookie press & my version of rugelach where we use raspberry or blueberry jam instead of apricot preserves)

Boxing Day (26th)

* Turkey congee or turkey fried rice

*left-over pieces of turkey, stuffing mashed potatoes, etc.)
#3 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 03:10 AM

as black folk, we have the traditional meal at my grandmothers including: dressing, candied yams, turkey, gravy, sweet potato pie, pound cake, cranberry sauce, green beans with carrots, mac&cheese, and lemonade or some homemade punch. thank god that the days of pork at every meal have passed.

my grandmother doesn't eat it, but would cook it for the family members that did and they gradually decided to stop eating it. the chitterlings are also one thing that i do not miss, but in the 80s they seemed to be a staple of the holidays. i don't know if i ever tasted any as a kid, but the smell always was tooooooooooooo much for me. again, i think that was a throw-back to my great-aunt who loved them, but she is not longer with us.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#4 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM

we have a pretty basic "thanksgiving style" meal at christmas, but my family is Finnish and we ALWAYS have pickled herring on rye crackers at holidays. my grandfather insisted, and he is no longer around but we still eat it. and my husband's family is Filipino, so we usually have shanghai lumpia as an appetizer and fried bananas for desert along with the pies.
#5 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 PM

I'm Polish, my partner is American, though from a HEAVILY Italian background.

The polish Christmas Eve dinner is VERY adaptable to the Italian feast of 7 fish. In Poland we eat beet soup as the first course, always some carp and usually some other type of fish. We're not "allowed" to eat meat (minus fish) on the 24th.

You basically fast all day on the 24th, and when the first start in the sky appears, you sit down to dinner.

We do the Italian 7 fish feast, but include Polish fish dishes as part of it. And then we do have the beet soup before. Usually with mushroom tortolini (not quite, but don't know the English word for it).

Christmas day is the big dinner - turkey, ham, duck, etc.

Gingerbread or pierniki in Polish is the the traditional dessert. We also do Pannetone, but that's for the Italian side.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#6 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 PM

As an American from German heritage, we follow most of my family's Christmas traditions, since we usually visit them for the holidays.
Christmas eve we have tons of appetizers after coming back from the Christmas Eve service at church. Cheese and crackers, spinach dip, teenie weenies a throwback from when we loved the "baby hotdogs" as kids, Christmas cookies, eggnog, wine, a shrimp and crab platter (the only time of the year we had that) and usually a couple of others up to that year's discretion. Then we read the Christmas story.

I love our Christmas eve.

Christmas day, we always used to have a different main course, the more "exotic" the better. The past few years we've had a spiral ham as a buffet style meal, and that's been nice. Although tonight on the phone she did mention buffalo......
#7 of 7 Old 01-05-2009, 04:55 PM

We're Bavarian and we eat Bratwurst, mashed potatoes, and sauerkraut for dinner on the 24th. While we're eating dinner, DH (it's a Daddy-duty) always and reliably has to use the toilet for a long time and after dinner we're all shocked to see that while we were eating the Christkind (Christ-child, sort of like an angel) brought presents for everybody and lit up the tree. We open the presents and then go to midnight mass.

The next day we usually celebrate with my American parents and eat Cornish hens or some other roast poultry. New Years is always ham, beans, and collard greens, in deference to my South Carolinian father. It's quite funny because Santa always leaves presents at Grandma's house for the kids. We've explained that the Christkind knows to come to our house because we left a forwarding address with the Post when we left Germany.

And of course, on the 24th we eat our Lebkuchen (gingerbread) and drink Gluehwein (mulled wine) while opening the presents.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page