International Calling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I was wondering, for those of you that call overseas from US, what service do you use?

We used to have Time Warner's digital phone one price which was awesome (3000 min for $20), we moved and now I don't.

Is there anything similar, or not as expensive as 10c/min?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara7 View Post
Hi Mamas,

I was wondering, for those of you that call overseas from US, what service do you use?

We used to have Time Warner's digital phone one price which was awesome (3000 min for $20), we moved and now I don't.

Is there anything similar, or not as expensive as 10c/min?

Thank you.
We use uniontelecard- it's cheap for calling N. Africa, but it seems depend on the website, destination, etc. , so it just varies on the rate. I think the cheapest ours ever got was 14 c/min.

Recently we started using hotmail chat and that has cut our phone calling down considerably (great because even though I could never say anything to DH the $20 every-other-week was killing us). I am also checking into Skype as I hear it's "all the rage".

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:29 AM

We have Cox phone service and they have international calling for 3.99 a month where we can call S.Korea for 3 cents a minute. Well worth the monthly cost, it's AWESOME. Other countries are other rates, but I don't think any are higher than eight cents a minute.

HTH
Bellevuemama

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 12-16-2008, 04:52 AM
Dar

If your families have internet access then skype would be free... if not then it's 10,000 minutes a month for $9.95 to certain countries, and there's a cost per minutes to others... depending on the area and whether you're calling a mobile or not, you can call South Korea for just over 2 cents a minute, and there's no monthly fee. Most countires are under 3 cents a minute, unless you're calling a mobile.

Skype Rocks!

You do have to get used to the headset thing, but it isn't really a big deal, IMO...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 AM

I use a skype phone with number to call Germany, $10 unlimited calling a month. The skype phone works like a regular house phone, cordless for mobility. I also have skype mobile on my cell phone, I get the same rates, only use my minutes from my t-mobile account. Works well for us.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 AM

it depends on which country you are calling. ireland and uk are free on my vonage phone. the service is $25 per month for unlimited calling
Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 AM

If you are calling several different numbers, than one of the services is needed.
If you call only one or two, think about purchasing Magic Jack , it's $20/year (+ one time $20 for the actual Jack). It works through Net service, but if your family has a good connection, it's great!

They get an US #, so you can call them or they can call you without limits.

:
Old 12-17-2008, 04:03 AM

i use the vartech dial-around code: 10-10-297. it is .03 a minute but there is a monthly fee tacked on (only during the months i use it), but i find that even with the fee, the calls are still pretty cheap.

and by the way, that rate is to the UK, so i am not sure if other countries differ.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 12-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikaKika View Post
If you are calling several different numbers, than one of the services is needed.
If you call only one or two, think about purchasing Magic Jack , it's $20/year (+ one time $20 for the actual Jack). It works through Net service, but if your family has a good connection, it's great!

They get an US #, so you can call them or they can call you without limits.

Yup, we have magic jack too. If the person has an internet connection you can send them one and they can call you for free. If not you can get one and the international rates are very reasonable.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 PM

wow! i am going to have to look into the magic jack. that sounds like it rocks!

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM

now i looked at it and i am going to have to find out whether my UK connection has internet service cause if so, this will be awesome!!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM

we buy phone cards over the internet.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 PM

we use Skype or buy a $2 phone card from a bodega for quick calls.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
Old 12-17-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I'm really going to look into MajicJack. To tell you the truth their commercials look like cheap informercials, so I was a little wary.

Thanks ladies!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:36 AM

Phone cards from the gas station. The $5 Carona card gets us about a half hour to forty minutes to Kenya. DH's family uses a mobile or a phone kiosk to receive our calls. Majick jack would be nice, but they don't have electricity, let alone a phone hookup at home.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 AM

We call to Kenya a lot too. I use the NobelCom calling cards ordered over the net. They were one of the cheaper ones that also don't try to eat up your balance too quickly with "maintenance fees". Some calling card companies will charge you .80 or more a week! as a maintenance fee as well as a connection fee, etc.... if you have to buy calling cards then pay close attention to the other fee's cuz they can really make a difference in the so called per minute rates that are advertised.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:28 AM

We use Skype to the CIS (former U.S.S.R.) and everywhere else we want to call. No worries about calling card errors or anything. It's so reliable and cheap. We love it. They call us using Internet telephony services to call us on our mobile phones when they need to.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 12-18-2008, 02:39 AM

Phone cards here. I wish the internet connection was reliable over there so we could use skype.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:11 AM

Student mama, you can use Skype to call them on their home phone. They don't need the Internet.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 12-18-2008, 11:58 AM

SKYPE SKYPE SKYPE SKYPE !!!! :

ITS THE BEST... I live in Brasil and I call my family in the USA all the time for FREE ... great connection, easy to use... and I live in a small village and we dont even have a high speed internet connection and it still works wonderfully .... no PROBLEMS !!

Mama to my little milk monster, Malu : (12/20/08)
Old 12-19-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Student mama, you can use Skype to call them on their home phone. They don't need the Internet.
There is no home phone. Access is horrible. I hate it. We tried to have a line installed last Christmas, but honestly, service is so terrible, more times than not you cannot get through. Argh!

If you can use it with a phone, maybe I will look into it again. Would I have to have internet service to use it?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Oh, okay, no home phone on their end means no Skype. It is just another way for you to call to a landline or mobile. But you need Internet to make the call, you know? You need the Internet, to download Skype, and to put money on that account from a credit card or paypal.

They don't need it to receive the call. To them it will just be like any other call coming to their mobile or home phone.

If your local Internet cafe has Skype, you can just open your own account online and then login whenever you are there, even using your account. But don't forget to log out!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Oh, okay, no home phone on their end means no Skype. It is just another way for you to call to a landline or mobile. But you need Internet to make the call, you know? You need the Internet, to download Skype, and to put money on that account from a credit card or paypal.

They don't need it to receive the call. To them it will just be like any other call coming to their mobile or home phone.

If your local Internet cafe has Skype, you can just open your own account online and then login whenever you are there, even using your account. But don't forget to log out!
Hmmm, I think this sounds like something I need to do more investigation on. It sure would be nice to call them more often.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 AM

If you have your own computer or have access at a university lab that allows downloads, you should easily be able to get Skype. Skype.com. Believe me I don't work for them, it has just been a godsend for our own family. Also if they do have access to a net cafe at all, you can use it for video calls (for free!).

User Tag List