Anyone fluent in Korean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I'm at a total loss here! DH's birth family is all still in South Korea. We are in contact with them pretty regularly, although not as much as we'd like. The problem is, even when we are in contact the language barrier is a huge issue, as their English is rudimentary at best (his little sister speaks a smidgen, nothing conversational) and our Korean is deplorable (and that's being nice lol). DH lost his ability to speak Korean when he was adopted to the US, as his 'new' family didn't have any way of nurturing it (middle of nowhere small town USA).

So...I guess I'm wondering if there are any mamas (or DHs) who could help us out? Maybe we could email letters for them to you, and you could email them back translated into Hangul? One thing we can't figure out is how to address a freaking envelope so it will get to them. We have what we think is an address, but since we can't read Hangul we aren't sure what is a name, a street, anything at all. I don't know what to do about phone calls, but I'm just trying to figure SOMETHING out. It really sucks that he's reconnected and yet is still so DISconnected because of the language issue, and we really want to nurture their involvement in our lives.

Any ideas?
Bellevuemama

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#2 of 8 Old 12-21-2008, 12:37 PM

my korean is bad... i flunked out of korean school like 3 times. lol. good luck.
#3 of 8 Old 12-21-2008, 12:41 PM

maybe u can buy one of those computer software things for korean....
https://ww5.pimsleurapproach.com/inc...FQ0xawod_m-0Dg
#4 of 8 Old 12-21-2008, 01:14 PM

I can read Korean phoenetically, if that makes sense. I can't understand it, but I can read it. For example, I can read the word Seoul in Hangul and tell you it says Seoul. For any place, it works perfectly. However, if I read a word I didn't know, I wouldn't know it. Does that make sense? So, I could help with the address.
#5 of 8 Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM

My formal Korean is pretty good. My "pan-mal", or conversation style needs work.

My advise is to find a Korean church in your area. They're usually listed in the yellow pages for cities. I'm sure the pastor would be willing to put something in his bulletin etc. You might even find an oppurtunity for Korean playmates to foster his language memories!! You might have to drive to the nearest city though.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#6 of 8 Old 12-21-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post

My advise is to find a Korean church in your area. They're usually listed in the yellow pages for cities. I'm sure the pastor would be willing to put something in his bulletin etc. You might even find an oppurtunity for Korean playmates to foster his language memories!! You might have to drive to the nearest city though.
I was going to suggest the same thing.
#7 of 8 Old 12-21-2008, 06:09 PM

if u go the church route be sure the church is open to letting people learn....( reason 2 and 3 of why i flunked korean school three times)
#8 of 8 Old 12-21-2008, 08:03 PM

I don't speak Korean well (spent 6 months there) but I can tell you that the address is likely upside down. They start with country and city, and move down towards dong and building number. (The streets don't have names.)

Actually I can read enough Korean to help with the address. (I still send a Christmas Card to my host family every year.)

The suggestion to find a Korean church is great too.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page