biracial children in the usa - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I live in NYC and we do get looks from people, but not really stared at. We only get stared at when we go into a predominately Eastern European area. My DH and I don't get too frazzled about it anymore.
We sort of made a game of it. If one of us spots someone glaring at us we will say 'Your cousin is looking at us' or 'Look your friend is looking'. Or sometimes we let the person/people know that we see them. We'll wave or give them a big smile, you should see their faces when we do that,

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#32 of 35 Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM

My husband is dark skinned, and looks biracial (AA/CC)...although he isn't sure about his heritage (his mom looks white, but has some Native American. His father was dark skinned and from what we can gather is probably Native American and perhaps Turkish.) I am Hispanic and CC, although I look very white. We occasionally get looks here, but not too often. However, we did travel to Atlanta a few months ago, and wow, was that an experience! We walked into a Zaxby's full of middle aged white people in a rural Georgia town (off the interstate a little) and EVERYONE turned and looked at us. They followed us with their eyes the entire time we were in there...we just cuddled up, kissed, got our food, and got out! Then, when we were in underground Atlanta, we got some more stares, both from AA and CC people.

Like I said, we don't get much open racism. However, people do always ask my parents 'what is Cody?' and sometimes we get a hint of veiled racism from various family members...ugh. It makes me sick sometimes.

We always notice other multi-cultural families when we are out. I can't wait to see what our little girl is going to look like!!!

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#33 of 35 Old 02-09-2009, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

thank you both for your answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
Then, when we were in underground Atlanta, we got some more stares, both from AA and CC people.
what does AA and CC mean?
since i live in europe this may be something i need to know? do people also use this phrase verbal or just written?
and congrats on your belly-baby!

thanks!

Me with the wonder of my life (2/06) * : * : * * * ...surfin' together on the wave of life : ...
#34 of 35 Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooopsy View Post
thank you both for your answers

what does AA and CC mean?
since i live in europe this may be something i need to know? do people also use this phrase verbal or just written?
and congrats on your belly-baby!

thanks!

AA=African American
CC-Caucasian

Most people that I know say White instead of Caucasian. It's 50/50 between saying African American or Black. However, in a conversation you would never say AA or CC

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#35 of 35 Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 PM

I live in Houston and people dont tend to even notice a CC/AA couple, they are everywhere, those Biracial kids are the cutest ever, people tend to notice the kids then the couple lol.

But if you are a american/arab couple then you will get noticed people here still dont like arabs/muslims and look at them like they are from another plant lol. But it doesnt bother me cause I love my arab/muslim man hehehe.

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06 and Kareem 8-23-08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page