Does anyone have a whole-wheat recipe for Vasilopita (Greek new year's bread/cake)? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm planning to make Vasilopita for our family get-together on New Year's. I'm Greek, and my family always has Vasilopita on New Year's Day. DH's family is not Greek, and they're the ones coming over, so I want to share this tradition with them! The only recipe that I have uses white flour, and I'd like to avoid that. It is more like a cake, so if anything, I'll just replace the flour w/ww pastry flour.

If you're curious- In the Fourth Century, Saint Basil wanted to distribute money to the poor, but he didn't want to be demeaning, so he decided to bake gold coins into cakes, and distribute the cakes. Greeks today still bake the cakes (no one that I know uses gold coins, lol), and eat them on New Year's. I just recently learned of the original purpose of Vasilopita, and now the wheels in my head are turning. I'm thinking of baking extras and handing them out to some of the homeless in our community...

x-posted in N&GE

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#2 of 2 Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH is Greek and I am not how ever I can't wait to see if any post the recipe. Something I want to do is make shure that my kids know there greek history if at all possible as I do not know anything of my background. My DH Mom, Grand parents, and GGParents are gone but I do know that some family still lives in Greece and that his GP visited just before they had passed. Other than that We don't know much but I am out there looking for recipies and other traditions that I can teach my kids.

Mom of 2 ** Wife ** Business Owner

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page