Wow! I have a lot to learn! Help me a bit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been reading in this forum a bit, thinking it would be of interest to me because I am what people consider to be "mixed". My mother's ancestors were originally from Germany and Austria, although they came to the US in the early 1880s. My father was born in the Philippines and his ancestry is Filipino.

I don't identify with my father's side at all because he was not in my life growing up. I just recently got in touch with him a few years ago when I was 25.

My view of race was always negative while growing up. I grew up in the outer suburbs in Minnesota. There was barely ANY diversity. I was constantly asked if I was Chinese, black, Japanese, Mexican, you name it. I grew up hating the fact that I was different.

Fast forward to my grown up life. I love myself now. I still live in an area that has barely any diversity, and I still get questions but they are asked more nicely from adults. I can appreciate my exotic looks now - and I say exotic because I married into a family of Danish/German ancestry. I look wildly different from all of them! My children are 1/4 Filipino but you'd never know it. My littlest one is a complete opposite of me ... I wonder sometimes if I am her mother!

But anyway, I see I have a lot to learn. I blocked out "race" as a child and I am ignorant of a lot of things. For example, I didn't realize that my husband was NOT Caucasian! So, is there a place to help the person like me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-03-2009, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJorgy View Post
So, is there a place to help the person like me?

I grew up all-white but married an arab and quickly learned how ugly race can be. Then when I saw DD I realized how beautiful it can also be ("camel" eyelashes anyone?). I hope to teach DD that we are all really the same.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 8 Old 01-04-2009, 11:45 PM

I'm glad to hear that you now appreciate your "exotic" looks - I find all mixes beautiful. Quick question: Why is your dh NOT Caucasian?

My dh is Asian, of Singapore decent (his parents immigrated as adults) so his skin is brown and is he often mistaken for Filipino or Polynesian. People can never quite figure out whether my 3 kids are *mine* because of their dark eyes and their colouring. We often talk about differences in people and talk about how normal it is to be different - that it's good that we don't all look the same and act the same!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#4 of 8 Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
I'm glad to hear that you now appreciate your "exotic" looks - I find all mixes beautiful. Quick question: Why is your dh NOT Caucasian?
He is catagorized as caucasian, but arab is a more specific. I'm "white" as in northern European white. There is definitely a difference, kinda like hispanic has such broad ranges- for example call a Chilean "a Mexican" and you'll hear a lecture that they're not all the same w/in the Hispanic umbrella! Just a rant on labels...

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 8 Old 01-05-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

I had always assumed that all white people were Caucasians ... so I guess I'm assuming he isn't Caucasian now because ... he's pretty white! And his ancestors come from Denmark/Austria, so ... ? See how confused I am?
#6 of 8 Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

I need "Race for Dummies". Seriously.
#7 of 8 Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

No one can figure out how my littlest one looks nothing like me! I should try to find a recent pic of the both of us together. She's so fair skinned, blonde w/blue eyes and I'm ... not!
#8 of 8 Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 AM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page