UPDATE - Any French speaking Moms? Especially any familiar with Leap Frog? See post 26 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixMom View Post
ASL is the 3rd most common language in the US, after English and Spanish, not to mention it is used with children who have special needs and learning disability. I think it's sad that you think your child won't ever have to interact and socialize with families of children with different abilities. Take a look at Signing Time! DVDs if you want to be inspired. No French equivalent exists in the market, in my knowledge.

Speaking of which, here's a local Craigslist that includes 2 French cartridges for Leapfrog Leappad http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/bab/978861751.html

Sorry for the rant. Just had to clear up a few issues with geography and ASL.
FelixMom,
Thanks for the input.

Signing Times is a little pricey and she already knows a lot of the basic signs in the DVDs at the beginning of the series. Thanks to a DVD program (I think it's called "Sign With Your Baby"). I'm hesitant to drop $20.00 or so on a DVD that may cover something she already knows. I think there are 13 DVDs in all. I might randomly buy one in the middle of the series on something that seems like an intermeiated topic.

ASL is the fourth most commonly used language in the US and I am happy to encourage her learning that. The issue is the ready availability of materials that will help me as a WOHM --with significant time and energy restrictions-- help my DDs learn a foreign language.

I do realize that there are significant differences between ASL and FSL but there is 60% overlap. Which would seem to suggest the easiest two languages in the world to be bilingual in might be ASL and FSL.

Quote:
Wikipedia – Sign Language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_language
There are a number of sign languages that emerged from French Sign Language (LSF), or were the result of language contact between local community sign languages and LSF. These include: French Sign Language, Quebec Sign Language, American Sign Language ...
Quote:
Wikipedia – American Sign Language –
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_sign_language
Growth and standardization
Interestingly, because of the early influence of the sign language of France upon the school, the vocabularies of ASL and modern French Sign Language are approximately 60% shared, whereas ASL and British Sign Language, for example, are almost completely dissimilar.
Quote:
Deaf Library
http://deaflibrary.org/asl.html
Interesting, however, American Sign Language shares many vocabulary terms with Old French Sign Language (LSF) because a French Deaf man, Laurent Clerc, was one of the first teachers of the Deaf in the U.S. in the nineteenth century. So if you know ASL, you're better off taking a vacation in France than in England!
And while I haven't found any childrens materials on ASL I did find two DVDs on Amazon France. I have no idea how much narration there is but to the extent there is any I was hoping that she would learn some French which would be kinesthetically and visually reinforced by the 60% FSL/ASL.

Quote:
Amazon France
http://www.amazon.fr/ABC-LSF-Diction...3149540&sr=8-2
ABC...LSF : Dictionnaire visuel bilingue (Broché)
http://www.amazon.fr/Langue-des-sign...ref=pd_sim_b_2
Langue des signes française

Thanks for letting me know about that particular "My First LeapPad" lot on the Montreal Craig's List. I had seen that and considered contacting the Seller but only 2 of the 6 titles are in French.

~Cath
#32 of 38 Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixMom View Post
Hi again,

Since you appear to be having success with audio CDs, perhaps you've already looked into this series by Henriette Major (book + CD)
Good luck and hope this helps!
FelixMom,
I will look into these when I have a chance.
Thanks,
~Cath
#33 of 38 Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylizah View Post
Glad you found what you wanted!

Here are some translations:
Etire-toi = Stretch yourself (missing accent is no big deal, often accents are dropped on capital letters) ...

Marylizah,
Thanks. It looks like me guesstimates on the colloquialisms were close for the most part.

The missing accent is problematic for the purposes of using the online translators I found. Maybe there's a better one out there.

But I do have an old fashioned English to French dictionary that probably would have helped me translate the accented words.

Thanks,
~Cath
#34 of 38 Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Phoebe View Post
... When I taught in Northern Canada there was a married couple who were both hearing impaird - he was Cree and she was Swedish and they used the same sign language which allowed them to communicate with one another even though they didn't have a common verbally spoken language.

I wonder if Leapfrog will be my path into French exposure with my kiddos!
Mama Phoebe,
I've heard that ASL is used in some multi-cultural Day Cares to bridge the communication gap.

Just so you'll know, LeapFrog has discontinued the LeapPads and replaced it with "Tag". The good news is they are more readily available and they aren't as bulky since the books don't require a "Pad" or base. However, the electronic pens only hold 5 books so you don't have the same flexibility in terms of quickly and easily switching between learning levels or a sixth title without deleting one.

~Cath
#35 of 38 Old 01-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.leapfrog.com/en/shop.html

My two oldest have Leapsters (done by Leap Frog). They have french versions of their products straight from manufacturer. You might want to try looking it up straight from them. They are having a 20% off sale and have clearance items as well (down the left side, near bottom).
#36 of 38 Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheal View Post
http://www.leapfrog.com/en/shop.html

My two oldest have Leapsters (done by Leap Frog). They have french versions of their products straight from manufacturer. You might want to try looking it up straight from them. They are having a 20% off sale and have clearance items as well (down the left side, near bottom).
Sheal,
I'll take a closer look at that later and perhaps pick up some of the English books.

However, they don't have any French titles there. You need to go to their Canada site. I've visited there before and if memory serves correctly you can't buy directly from the Canadian LeapFrog. I think you get referred to ToysRUs and my impression is that they cleared out their stock a long time ago.

~Cath
#37 of 38 Old 01-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Huh, I didn't realize that - kinda sucks doesn't it.

Thanks for the headsup!
#38 of 38 Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
And while I haven't found any childrens materials on ASL I did find two DVDs on Amazon France. I have no idea how much narration there is but to the extent there is any I was hoping that she would learn some French which would be kinesthetically and visually reinforced by the 60% FSL/ASL.
Cathmac, What I find a bit unusual is that you are sooo insistant on using LSF when you live in continental US, and the Deaf community in the US uses ASL. Does this not factor into your equation? There won't be anybody local to correct you if what you're signing is wrong or accidentally an offensive swear word. Deafness is an invisible handicap, so you wouldn't necessarily know that you were incorrectly signing something blatantly bad in ASL or LSF unless you were in a live interactive class or playgroup of some sort.

I don't know if you've actually contacted anybody in your local Deaf community for advice in plunging into LSF, but I do note the source you cited above stated OLD French sign language. Sign language, like spoken ones, do evolve over time, and maybe you'd want to check just exactly which 60% overlap there is. Wikipedia, although sometimes useful, isn't exactly gospel, and is only as accurate as the people who input the stuff in the first place... what are the credentials of the people who posted the entries you quoted?

So if ASL is 4th in rank, what is 3rd after Spanish?

For the record, although I am not a native Deaf person, I have taken courses in both ASL and LSQ and there is an overlap of 80% for the useful vocabulary for babies (I am a parent & baby sign language instructor), but this dwindles down to 30% for adult level vocab. When I have to teach a bilingual group of parents, everybody is shown variations where they exist (for LSQ & ASL, cheese, banana, colours and water, for example) and the parents are given the choice to use whatever is easiest or most expedient (usually ASL) while saying whatever in French or English. The only time I might insist that the francophone families stick with LSQ signs are for eau (water) and colours, as these are based on the first letter of the words, which obviously vary between english and french.

As to your complaint about the lack of children's ASL materials, have you had a look at Dawn Sign Press? See http://www.dawnsign.com/shopping/category.cfm?CatID=1 There's also Garlic Press board books with ASL.

I commend you for your visionary intents and wishes for your child to be exposed to a minority language, given your busy hectic life as a WOHM. Hopefully you'll find a group of French ex-pats in your neighborhood to give you a boost in your efforts...

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page