Dreaming of Leaving the States... Am I Alone Here? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 94 Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
We left the states about a year ago...my DP was forced to leave.. d/t immigration laws in the US. We are living in MX..his home country..it's far from exotic and wonderful. You've really got to work hard to make a living here. We would like to go to Europe to give our children a better life then here in MX. It's not that bad in MX...it's just very very different than the states. Tons of poverty every where you look. The way of life is about 40 years behind the states. We buy everything we need in the states..except food of course. You just cant find what you need, at least not in this city. The infrastructure is horrible. A 45 min drive will take about 2 hours..here the roads are not kept up...pot holes everywhere...speed bumps for speed control. It's a different world here. No noise ordiance...people are so loud with there stereo's and the tortilla car that come by at 5:30 am yelling ahyyy..tortillaaaaaa. OMG it's taken awhile for me to get used to life here.
OK enough complaining...just my 2 cents on the idea.
sounds pretty much like india, but replace tortillaaaaa w/sari....Alot of other countries have it way harder than the US, after visiting india, I know that this is My home...Just like we in the usa fantasize about "exotic" places, there are plenty that would trade places with us. There are many things i would like to see different here, but that doesn't change the fact that this is where i belong...

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#92 of 94 Old 03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Banned

i'm not sure if my post belongs here or not.

my husband and i are considering moving to NZ--for both our careers and our family life to improve (well, the three of us anyway, as we would be leaving extended family behind).

this is not because we do not love the US. there are many great things about the US that we love. and, we found that many of those things exist in NZ too, as well as things that would be better for our careers.

we visited NZ two years ago. we really enjoyed it and made a lot of friends (with whom we are still in contact nearly every day!).

in order for our careers to move forward, we feel lthat we have two options: NZ or Los Angeles. for whatever reason, we "feel" that NZ would be better for us because there are more career opportunities and the lifestyle in NZ is similar to ours--we just feel we would have a better quality of life there than in LA.

but, it is a BIG move. has anyone just decided that another place would be right for them and moved? how did you come to the ultimate decision to do it? how did it work out?

thanks!
#93 of 94 Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 AM

zoebird,

We did! Dh is European, and I had been living in Europe for 15 years, but we felt as if we had hit a brick wall. We did a lot of research into immigration to other countries - NZ was our first choice but we couldn't afford to travel there from Germany - 4000 EUR just for plane fare for all four of us was too much. Without a job offer, it was a toss up as to whether we would have qualified for a working visa, so we decided to go to Canada (closer to both families, dh has a sister living in NY, we both have French nationality). Québec, to be more specific.
All of our moving preparations, finding accomodations (we got really lucky), and reading as much material we could get our hands on before leaving, did not prepare us for the emotional challenges we faced the first few months being here. We have now been here about 7 months and are starting to grow tiny roots. I don't want to hijack this thread, but please feel free to PM me and I can tell you more about our adventures. We've had some fabulous experiences as well, and we are pretty satisfied with our big decision.

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#94 of 94 Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Zoe, I think you might want to post separately and also in Finding Your Tribe because you would be more interested in NZ-specific advice...

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page