? for Hebrew Speaking Mommas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Not sure where to put this question but hoping one of you is around here...

How would you pronounce this name - Yocheved?

We are Christians and have given all of our children biblical names and I picked this as a middle name for my little girl. We spelled it in the English, as Jochebed, because all the girls middle names start with J. But I really liked the way I heard it pronounced in the Prince of Egypt which was Yo-hev-ed. But my husband said that the Ch makes a k sound and my pastor said the v makes a b sound. So it would be pronounced Yo-hek-bed?

Honestly, I really prefer the way I am pronouncing and I guess it doesn't make a huge difference but am I totally screwing it up???

Thanks,
#2 of 4 Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
npl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First syllable is Yo, with a short "o" as in "orange".
Second syllable is "che" - the ch is agutteral, at the back of the throat, kind-of like claring your throat. There isn't an English equivalent, and I can't think of a better way to explain it in text! The "e" is the same sound as the beginning of "egg".
The last syllable is "ved", with the same "e" as in "egg".
The stress on the word falls on the middle syllable - "che"

Hth!
#3 of 4 Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
"Second syllable is "che" - the ch is agutteral, at the back of the throat, kind-of like claring your throat. There isn't an English equivalent, and I can't think of a better way to explain it in text!"

Okay, this is what my husband was saying and how he pronounces it but I couldn't think of a better way to explain.

Thanks!!!
#4 of 4 Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my best friend has this as her middle name!

Yo (as in "yo mama!") khe (kh is that clearing your throat sound with a short e, sound like "eh", such as "eh, I don't really feel like going to the store") ved (rhymes with bed, as in the thing you sleep on but begins with a "v" instead of a "b")

You could spell it Yokheved or Yocheved or Yoheved. It's closer to an "h" sound (as opposed to a "k" sound) but you say it while clearing your throat.

You might be able to google "yocheved" and "pronounciation" to hear it online. You could also find your nearest Chabad house (chabad.org) and go over there (or phone them) and ask them to pronounce it for you. I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page