Russian MIL visiting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
 
Anna's Lovey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! My Russian MIL is coming to visit in feb for three months and I'm kind of scared.
Have no idea what to expect.
can anyone help me brace myself for the storm?
Thanks!
Anna's Lovey is offline  
#2 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 02:31 AM
 
Sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 2,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm from Poland, which is obviously very close to Russia. Moreover a lot of our customs are the same. I'm not sure what you would like information on, though. In Europe, we take off our shoes in the house and wear slippers. We eat the biggest meal in the middle of the day. It's also the warm meal. Breakfast and the evening meal are usually cold, though not always. That's about the only difference I can think of, lol. But, then, maybe because I'm from Poland, I'm not seeing all the differences.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Sailor is offline  
#3 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 03:00 AM
 
welsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Russia and have experienced the following cultural differences:
Russians hate anything cold. They don't approve of feeding your child cold yoghurt, water, milk....
Because of this fear they over-bundle their children and will shout at strangers in the street if they think your child is under-dressed. KIds at the playground were in snowsuits in September with temps in the 60s.
They adore children. Really dote on them. Alot of grandparents seem to look after the children if the Moms work and they're always at the parks walking babies. They strongely believe that children should be out for walks everyday from birth to get fresh air.
I think smiling is seen as a weakness though and they seem brusque on the outside.
You are family though and I'm sure your MIL will be so happy to be with you. Just be prepared for the fact that she may find your 'ways' strange!
Good Luck!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
welsh is offline  
#4 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
Anna's Lovey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
I live in Russia and have experienced the following cultural differences:
Russians hate anything cold. They don't approve of feeding your child cold yoghurt, water, milk....
Because of this fear they over-bundle their children and will shout at strangers in the street if they think your child is under-dressed. KIds at the playground were in snowsuits in September with temps in the 60s.
They adore children. Really dote on them. Alot of grandparents seem to look after the children if the Moms work and they're always at the parks walking babies. They strongely believe that children should be out for walks everyday from birth to get fresh air.
I think smiling is seen as a weakness though and they seem brusque on the outside.
You are family though and I'm sure your MIL will be so happy to be with you. Just be prepared for the fact that she may find your 'ways' strange!
Good Luck!
What about crying and babies? I don't let my baby cry at all. Will I be looked upon like some kind of a freak for coddling my baby?
Anna's Lovey is offline  
#5 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 AM
 
EdnaMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say (1) remember that anything she requests is temporary because this is a visit and (2) try to remember that if she seems tense, it could be culture shock and insecurity as much as anything, so try to be as accommodating as possible.

-Most Russians do not let babies cry. However-
-They do feed children a lot of sweets.
-They let small children (toddlers) drink tea with sugar.
-They swaddle. If baby does not cry, let her swaddle baby if she wants. If baby does cry, explain that this is from your side of the family, but that baby will be fine.
-If, God forbid, baby should sneeze or cough during the visit, and she wants to medicate baby, this could be quite worrying because she will probably really want to help (as the grandmother, naturally! who can blame her) but also may have different ideas about what is appropriate. Make sure she understands that here, we never give baby anything
without the doctor's express consent. Yes you may end up calling the doctor for stupid things but it's better than arguing with MIL about whether baby needs to have some bizarre Slavic home remedy inflicted on her for clearing her throat.

I don't think they over-bundle their children. I have never heard of a Russian child dying of heat stroke in September. I would say that many Russians have a slightly more old-fashioned take on dress (keep your hat on) but this is from a people that have kids walking to school in -30 C as well. If she wants you to put a light cotton hat on your baby, do it. Really, it is not going to hurt the baby. Same with socks. If she really goes to far, tell her, "In this climate, the cool doesn't affect the baby in the same way- it is a light, dry breeze." Emphasize the different climate. When I was in Russia, they kept telling us, "Yes, it was this cold in America but this is a different climate." So I believe the "climate" argument should hold some weight. If she personally feels chilly, tell her her body is still adjusting to the climate, baby is adjusted, thank you, but offer MIL a sweater.

Russians wear "house clothes" indoors, which saves a lot of washing. You may be expected to provide slippers, but otherwise do not be surprised if your MIL appears to wear pyjamas all day. They are not technically pyjamas, they are house clothes.

Remember that as a grandmother, she has been dying to see this baby and you get to see the baby every day. Yes you are the mom, but in Russia, babushki hold a special place in the child's heart. Let her have her time. If you miss the baby, tell her so, but try to remember that she may want to just soak up every bit of grandbaby she has in a limited amount of time, and respect that. She will be so far away when she is back in Russia and she won't have her own son there, either. Try to understand that if she seems posessive of baby. It is because it is for so little time.

"I think smiling is seen as a weakness though and they seem brusque on the outside."

No. It is not a weakness, they just don't go around smiling for no reason. I think they are more thoughtful and introspective in temperament and enjoy introspection and a little moroseness now and then. They do not express happiness through smiling or friendship through words. It is something deeper than that. They like it when we smile at them, provided they have reason to believe it is genuine. At least, people who are not arrogant teenagers generally do.

I found that Russians usually have soup for dinner, not a cold dish! Though, breakfast is sometimes cold.

Ask your MIL to prepare and teach you as many dishes as possible. She will feel needed and appreciated. Even if you don't plan to make it again, who will it hurt and it will give her such joy to think that her son could get these dishes in the U.S.

Your MIL might expect you to be as coy as Russian women are to their husbands. She might find you very demanding and forward, as a woman. Tell her it is your culture but if she wants to give you tips, she is welcome. Again, remember that this is a visit so if she spends two weeks being happy by "fixing" her daughter in law, it's her vacation, not yours, it will be over soon. Smile and relax- she is just doing what she can.

Russians love to take walks unless they are ill.

Russians believe bananas make you happy (this is actually somewhat scientific). If MIL seems sad, buy bananas for her to show her you care about her well-being.

When a Russian feels neglected, sad, lonely, stressed or whatever, he or she may develop a psychosomatic illness like the flu, and expect to be pampered. Blood pressure is also something that can suffer. If your MIL seems sad, offer vitamins as a precaution. If you personally take a certain brand, and can afford the same brand for her, try to help her feel cared for by offering a similar vitamin and sending some home with her. Maybe this could prevent a cold or flu if she does start to feel homesick or lonely.

Russians like to have long chats over tea, talking about their problems. Even if you don't speak Russian, invite her to chat or teach you Russian over tea while you breastfeed or whatever.

My MIL is not Russian but I lived with a Russian babushka and I fell in love. They are very opinionated and demanding but they have earned it. You just have to kind of enjoy being the child for awhile and go with it. Of course you have your limits and it's your house but the more you can let babushkaness flood your home the more you will enjoy it. They might look cold and brusque but that is just the outside that holds in so much love.

Good luck! Where is MIL from, by the way, and what does she do for a living?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
EdnaMarie is offline  
#6 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 AM
 
welsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=EdnaMarie;13056750]
I don't think they over-bundle their children.
Here in Moscow they do. One of the best known Pediatricians in the city (who is Russian) is quite outspoken on the topic.

I would say that many Russians have a slightly more old-fashioned take on dress (keep your hat on) but this is from a people that have kids walking to school in -30 C as well. If she wants you to put a light cotton hat on your baby, do it. Really, it is not going to hurt the baby.
Of course. It is understandable that they fear the cold. It can be deadly here.

"I think smiling is seen as a weakness though and they seem brusque on the outside."

'No. It is not a weakness, they just don't go around smiling for no reason. I think they are more thoughtful and introspective in temperament and enjoy introspection and a little moroseness now and then. '


Interesting perspective. When I lived in the US, I found the whole 'have a nice day' culture unnerving at the beginning as it felt fake to me, being from Europe. However, here, no-one in a store has ever smiled at me even when I smile (genuinely) and am attempting to speak Russian. Equally Moms at the playground smile at DS but me, never.
Obviously though Anna's lovey, you and your family will get lots of smiles and love because she'll be delighted to be with you all. I would not expect your MIL to want to let the baby cry, just the opposite!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
welsh is offline  
#7 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 01:09 PM
 
LessTraveledBy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Culture is one thing, personality another. She may be the sweetest thing on earth.. or not.

I think the big thing is that this is not just about her culture, but equally about yours. (Well, actually, more about yours, as it is your home.) So, bend in all the little things (three months can be a looong time) but don't give an inch in matters that are big to you. YOU are the mother of the baby and make the decisions (including about when grandma gets to hold your child). Now is a good time to establish that so it won't become a struggle for years and years.

I know a Russian woman who must be about the same age as your MIL. She used to be a nurse in Russia and is a big believer in giving water to babies, even newborns. So... whatever may come your way... Be prepared to smile and thank her for the comments but tell her you listen to your pediatrician or something.

Good luck!

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
LessTraveledBy is offline  
#8 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 PM
EVC
 
EVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my MIL is Ukrainian, but from Eastern Ukraine, so culturally similar to Russian. Don't get me wrong, I love the woman to death. She is probably the kindest, most generous, most thoughtful and loving person I have ever met. Seriously. However.....She has very set ideas about things. Overbundling has been mentioned. DEFINITELY true in her case. And God help me if I forget the close the window and there is--gasp--a draft. Drafts are apparently deadly, even in 70 degree weather. You know, I can't even think of specific things right now--maybe something will come to me later, but OVERBEARING is the word I would use. I will say her overbearingness comes from love--she really wants what it best. She just has kooky (in my opinion) ideas about what is best, and will not listen to differences in opinion. She kinda stresses me out at times.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
EVC is offline  
#9 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
EVC
 
EVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
'No. It is not a weakness, they just don't go around smiling for no reason. '
ITA. They just think that people who smile for no reason are either insincere or mentally deficient. Americans smiling all the time ticks my dh off to no end. That and the insincerity of "How are you?" "I'm fine" when it is very clear that person is not fine at all.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
EVC is offline  
#10 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 01:58 PM
 
AstridS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
ITA. They just think that people who smile for no reason are either insincere or mentally deficient. Americans smiling all the time ticks my dh off to no end. That and the insincerity of "How are you?" "I'm fine" when it is very clear that person is not fine at all.
I think a lot of Europeans feel this way. Especially about the "how are you?" When it's clear that the person asking doesn't really give a s***. It is seen as false and insencere. Smiling and being interested in other peoples wellbeing is nice. But only if you really care. Otherwise it's seen as superficial and even rude. Don't ask if you don't want to know the answer.
AstridS is offline  
#11 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 03:00 PM
 
EdnaMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I forget the close the window and there is--gasp--a draft. Drafts are apparently deadly, even in 70 degree weather.
This is where the climate explanation comes in really handy. Aren't you in SoCal? Tell her it's how all those South American Indians manage to walk around half naked all day and stay so healthy. Seriously.

Quote:
They just think that people who smile for no reason are either insincere or mentally deficient.
I think at the heart of it this is one reason I love Russia so much.

FWIW, I was reflecting on this and ultimately, I think it is just that Russians smile to express joy, whereas we do it to express general well-being, as in, "The meds are working." When Russians just don't cry, we smile. When they smile, we say, "woohoo!" But when asked to integrate into a Western work environment, they adjust very quickly. It's not like it's something they hold on to.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
EdnaMarie is offline  
#12 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 PM
EVC
 
EVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
This is where the climate explanation comes in really handy. Aren't you in SoCal?
More northern cal (SF area). But actually she hasn't visited us in the US yet and I doubt she ever will (she probably wouldn't be able to get a visa and even if she did, her health isn't so great at this point--you know, the davleniye and all--so the trip would be too hard on her). Travel, therefore, falls on us. And we keep putting it off for various reasons (lack of time, lack of money), so it's actually been about three years since we've seen her--the last time we saw her dd was still pretty much a newborn, and that was in the Caucasus.....

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
EVC is offline  
#13 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 03:31 PM
EVC
 
EVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I think it is just that Russians smile to express joy, whereas we do it to express general well-being, as in, "The meds are working." When Russians just don't cry, we smile.
Yes, and even more than that I think. We also smile when we are embarrased, feel awkward, feel shy, feel angry but are trying to control it and, well, when we feel a whole range of emotions that have nothing to do with feeling happy. Russians I guess tend to disentangle their emotions more--they smile when they are happy, yell or frown when they are mad, cry or sulk when they are sad, look nervous when they feel awkward, etc. Thinking of it now, I think that might be part of the myth of the "Russian soul"--more vivid and accurate expression of emotion, whereas our emotions sometimes appear "watered down" because we smile and say we are fine.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
EVC is offline  
#14 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 03:45 PM
 
MittensKittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
Overbundling has been mentioned. DEFINITELY true in her case. And God help me if I forget the close the window and there is--gasp--a draft. Drafts are apparently deadly, even in 70 degree weather.
I had to laugh about this comment... I am in Serbia and the same thing is SO true here. Drafts will *always* give you a cold, which is very dangerous . Oh, and the same thing goes for bare feet as well. They even have a single word for "bare feet" in Serbian! One woman told me that my ovaries would freeze if I wouldn't wear sock indoors.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
MittensKittens is offline  
#15 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 03:51 PM
 
lolar2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstridS View Post
I think a lot of Europeans feel this way. Especially about the "how are you?" When it's clear that the person asking doesn't really give a s***. It is seen as false and insencere. Smiling and being interested in other peoples wellbeing is nice. But only if you really care. Otherwise it's seen as superficial and even rude. Don't ask if you don't want to know the answer.
"How are you" is a conventional politeness which doesn't mean "how do you feel" any more than "good-bye" means "God be with you" from an atheist. It's just rude if you don't say it. Speakers of French and Italian don't really care if the cashier they've never met has an especially good day, but they still use "bonjour"/ "buon giorno" to say hello to him/ her because it's rude not to. Culture shock is alleviated when conventional politenesses are not taken literally.
lolar2 is offline  
#16 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 04:40 PM
 
kiara7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm from Ukraine, so I can give you some pointers.

Very true about the draft, my mom will not fail to mention it every time.

Your mil will definitely want to cook, A LOT. Especially, since it's for her son. You can ask her if you can help, but she'll probably do it her way - she will appreciate the asking though. Good time to learn how to cook some things from her.

Sitting around, talking, drinking tea w/sweets is usually the time everyone looks forward to.

If you have satellite or AT&T it might be nice to order the russian tv package for a few months.

A lot of people are into herbs, natural medicines - so a trip or two to Whole Foods might be in order.

Nak, I'll be back to see if you have any more questions.

ETA: i don't know if you have a baby, but many older people believe that babies need to be bathed every day, so you might want to explain that it's not needed, especially in the winter.
kiara7 is offline  
#17 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
 
Sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 2,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
ITA. They just think that people who smile for no reason are either insincere or mentally deficient. Americans smiling all the time ticks my dh off to no end. That and the insincerity of "How are you?" "I'm fine" when it is very clear that person is not fine at all.
Yes, yes, so true! I'm from Poland, and feel exactly the same way. People are always asking me what's wrong, and I'm like "nothing, but I'm not going to walk around smiling for no reason."

The American culture of "how are you, I'm fine" etc., and smiling all the darn time, drives me crazy. I'm also a recluse and don't like talking to strangers, so that does play into it. But, it does strike me as insincere when a stranger asks me how I am, and the expected answer is always fine - even if I may not be fine. I understand it's just a way of being polite/nice. But, it drives me batty - not only because of the cultural difference, but also because I'm asocial and would rather not have anyone speak to me, lol.

But, yea, we're not sad or depressed all the time. We smile when there is a reason to.

I forgot about the tea. Most Europeans do this, though. Tea is drunk by toddlers. In Italy, they mix a tiny, tiny amount of tea with warm milk. Or even coffee, in some parts.

I grew up drinking tea, as well. Didn't harm me, though. I think.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Sailor is offline  
#18 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
EVC
 
EVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
One woman told me that my ovaries would freeze if I wouldn't wear sock indoors.
Oh yes, in Russia your ovaries will apparently freeze if you sit on cold ground, or something made of stone, etc.

Quote:
They even have a single word for "bare feet" in Serbian!
Yup, Russian too.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
EVC is offline  
#19 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 PM
EVC
 
EVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
"How are you" is a conventional politeness which doesn't mean "how do you feel"
That's what I've tried to explain to dh. "How are you?" is just another way of saying "Hello", and isn't actually a question.

And, darn it, many European languages (including Russian) have "good day" as a standard greeting--and you say it even when you have had a really crappy day and when you are secretly wishing that the person you are talking to will have a crappy day too

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
EVC is offline  
#20 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
 
Sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 2,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
Oh yes, in Russia your ovaries will apparently freeze if you sit on cold ground, or something made of stone, etc.
In Poland, your bladder will freeze, and you'll wind up with a massive infection. I assume they mean something like a UTI. I can never sit on cold stone when I'm there with my family, as a result.

We also have a single word for bare feet. And that's something that is NEVER allowed in Poland. No walking bare foot or sock footed in the house. Slippers are a must, lol. Even when my grandparents visit me, to make peace, I wear slippers. Just because otherwise, hear ALL about how bad it is.

Oh, and I don't know if this is cultural, but my family is big into changing their clothes when they walk into their homes. They have "house" clothes and clothes for going out and about. I actually like this habit because I love lounging around in comfy clothes all day that I wouldn't be caught dead in outside.

We wash hands a lot too - before every meal, every time we use the bathroom, and each time we come in from the outside.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Sailor is offline  
#21 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
EVC
 
EVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, and I don't know if this is cultural, but my family is big into changing their clothes when they walk into their homes. They have "house" clothes and clothes for going out and about. I
Yes, this is very common in Russian culture as well. As are the slippers you mentioned. I think EdnaMarie pointed this out, too

These are both actually customs that I've adopted myself. I feel much more comfortable at home in slippers and "house clothes"

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
EVC is offline  
#22 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 05:39 PM
 
MittensKittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's funny to hear that there are so many similarities. How about this one? It always makes me laugh. In Serbia, you are never allowed to put your handbag on the floor, because this will make you go bankrupt. Have you heard about this?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
MittensKittens is offline  
#23 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 05:56 PM
EVC
 
EVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
It's funny to hear that there are so many similarities. How about this one? It always makes me laugh. In Serbia, you are never allowed to put your handbag on the floor, because this will make you go bankrupt. Have you heard about this?
No, I haven't heard that one, but Russia has a lot of similar ones. Like you can't give a wallet as a gift or, if you do, you have put some small amount of money in it first (same thing about going broke). And you can't whistle indoors or you'll whistle your money away. There are A LOT of them.

Oh, OP, if you are thinking about greeting your MIL with flowers, make sure you give an ODD number--even numbered bouquets are only for funerals. And better to avoid yellow flowers--they symoblize parting, separation, etc.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
EVC is offline  
#24 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 07:38 PM
 
Sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 2,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
It's funny to hear that there are so many similarities. How about this one? It always makes me laugh. In Serbia, you are never allowed to put your handbag on the floor, because this will make you go bankrupt. Have you heard about this?
Yes, we have that in Poland too!

And, also, it's bad luck to own an empty wallet. So, you should always have some money in there - even if it's just a cent. It's custom, when giving wallets, to put a cent in there so the giver doesn't go bankrupt.

Re: flowers - in Poland people very rarely give flowers. Their association is almost always with graveyards and funerals. In fact, that's where most of the florist shopes are located - right next to cemetaries.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Sailor is offline  
#25 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 PM
 
lolar2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
That's what I've tried to explain to dh. "How are you?" is just another way of saying "Hello", and isn't actually a question.

And, darn it, many European languages (including Russian) have "good day" as a standard greeting--and you say it even when you have had a really crappy day and when you are secretly wishing that the person you are talking to will have a crappy day too
Exactly!
lolar2 is offline  
#26 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Banned
 
Kyyrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, another thing. About the house clothes / outdoor clothes... If you are among those who like to go outside in sweatsuits, sneakers, shorts, or God forbid pajama pants ( ) maybe you'd like to make an effort to get dressed in more formal clothing for leaving the house in. My family would be horrified if I went outside in "comfy clothes". I don't mean formal clothing like dressing to the nines, but say, you don't wear your gym clothes out to go to the bank in. That kind of thing.

Then again, I can also think of a million little old ladies who go outside in their plain old housedresses. Maybe it's a city/country thing.
Kyyrah is offline  
#27 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Banned
 
Kyyrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Re: flowers - in Poland people very rarely give flowers. Their association is almost always with graveyards and funerals. In fact, that's where most of the florist shopes are located - right next to cemetaries.
In Hungary we had lots of flower giving. Whenever we went to see my grandmother my mom would have me present her with a little bundle of flowers we would buy at the subway station from the little old ladies there. (And we went to see her a couple of times a week! But she may just have felt sorry for the flower sellers, they were practically beggars, some of them.)

And they would bring flowers for pretty much all other occasions as well. Graduations, dinner parties, illness, name days... etc)

Oh, do you know if your MIL's name day is coming up? Do they do that in Russia? In Hungary they always announce what name day it is that day and everyone celebrates people with that name. Small presents or drinks or something. Birthdays are private family affairs but name days everyone would celebrate, like people you work with or your friends etc.
Kyyrah is offline  
#28 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 PM
 
Tradd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP, is your Russian MIL Orthodox? If so, she may very well observe the fasts (and Lent is coming up like a freight train - starts the first Monday in March!), so that would mean no meat/no dairy on Wednesdays and Fridays, as well as maybe no fish or oil (depends on the locality, I'm told the fish or oil thing differs some regionally). She might also like to go to church while she's here if she is Orthodox. Just PM me if she is, and I can direct you to the place online to find a Russian Orthodox parish.

Kyyrah - the name's day thing comes from people celebrating on the day commemorating their patron saint, usually the one they're named after (Orthodox Christians do this, as well as Roman Catholics in some European countries).

lady.gif
Tradd is offline  
#29 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned
 
Kyyrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
Kyyrah - the name's day thing comes from people celebrating on the day commemorating their patron saint, usually the one they're named after (Orthodox Christians do this, as well as Roman Catholics in some European countries).
In Hungary it's become totally secular too, though...
Kyyrah is offline  
#30 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 PM
 
GoGoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: My Russian (well, not ethnically, but culturally) MIL is coming in a few months, after the baby is born. These tips are really helpful!

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
GoGoGirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off