indian weddings! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-14-2009, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm taking my first trip to india! to a wedding! with a one year old baby!

a) how is the baby going to mesh with the wedding? i am assuming i will stay behind with her for the evening functions but during the daytime? i don't know how hindu weddings operate

b) what does one wear? should i have FIVE different outfits for the FIVE days of this wedding?!

i might well come up with more questions.

:
#2 of 7 Old 02-14-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpurnia View Post
i'm taking my first trip to india! to a wedding! with a one year old baby!

a) how is the baby going to mesh with the wedding? i am assuming i will stay behind with her for the evening functions but during the daytime? i don't know how hindu weddings operate

b) what does one wear? should i have FIVE different outfits for the FIVE days of this wedding?!

i might well come up with more questions.

:
Congrats! Indian weddings are so much fun, lots of yummy foods, dancing, festivities!

I've attended a few weddings in India and if your friends wedding is anything like the one's I've been too, then both the day and evening events will be very child friendly. Saying that, Indians from different states have different cultures and it may be different for your friends. But most people that I know don't leave kids, especially as young as yours behind, they just tote them right along. There are usually many kids around, so they keep each other entertained.

About the clothes, yes, you will need different outfits for each day (and most change clothes between and day and evening events too!). That said, it would be much more economical to just buy a few outfits from there, the cost compared to here is very reasonable. But I'm sure there will be plenty of people there that will insist you just wear their clothes and jewelry, etc. So you probably don't even have to worry about the clothes part.

My cousin is getting married next month in India and I soooo wish I could go.

Have a blast over there mama!
#3 of 7 Old 02-14-2009, 12:13 PM

I agree with everything she said! Have fun!! I'm sure you could even borrow some clothes/jewelry from someone there.

My Indian wedding is at www.darshani.com

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM

People are not expected to sit quietly and watch, so it should be totally fine to have kids of any age running around, so long as they aren't bothering the bride, groom, priest, etc.

And yes, different outfits for each different event. Bright colors and lots of jewelry too. (This is the part I hate... dress clothes are NOT comfortable to wear all day!) The men are allowed to wear whatever they want and don't have to wear jewelry, something I am unreasonably jealous about.

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#5 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM

I was in India for 2 months when DS was 1 year old. We went to a wedding, there was no problem. We had a room at the wedding hall. The ceremonies went on and on and on... we watched or ate or did other things.

My experience was in South India (Chennai). Other places may be different! My MIL packed a whole wardrobe of saris for me to wear. 3 saris for 3 different parts of the wedding. As an older lady, she has a number of nicer silk saris which are flashier than she currently wears. (bright colors) I had blouses made to match. MIL also brought 3 changes of jewelry for me

Have fun!
#6 of 7 Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

we are going a couple of days early to meet a friend in delhi & do some outfit shopping there. i fancy lots of bright colours for sure!

what about breastfeeding? do i need to be especially discreet when in female company as well? the couple who are getting married are from a wealthy background - children educated overseas etc - if that makes a difference. i guess i can ask our friend.

loved the pictures of your wedding, usamma! looks like such a beautiful event!

:
#7 of 7 Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 AM

How fun that you are going to an Indian wedding. You'll have a blast!

You baby will be fine. Sincee you breastfed, that will make it even easier for you to feed him or her.

You may want to wear a sari or lengha chola for easy breastfeeding. Chunni's are great for covering up, and you will find several mothers hanging out in another area who will be breastfeeding. Sadly, even more moms will take formula rather than breastfeed, but that shouldn't stop you from doing what comes natural.

Everyone takes their children with them everywhere in India. Babysitter's are rare, and I suspose you would rather be with your child.

I assume everyone has already said, absolutely have 5 outfits for 5 days. Get guidance based on what event is happening. You may want to wear a funky salwar kameez on a day when everyone is shopping, instead of a beautiful sari. For the actual wedding events, you will want to wear a different silk sari for each event. You may actually need more than 5 outfits. Check with the bride.

Have fun, and enjoy all the clothing, jewelry, bindi's and attention.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page